Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Robo Kitties Space Force ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Okay, I'm changing a lot in this chapter, because I never understood why I made Number One awaken before Number Two. It really makes no sense. I also changed some names and some details because I like it better this way.
 
 
Robo Kitties Space Force
-
Chapter One
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
 
“We've run all the tests, Doctor. They have no memories of their lives before the accident.” A woman in a white lab coat was standing before an older man, also wearing a white coat. He was seated in a chair in his office. She handed him a clipboard.
 
“You're absolutely positive that they remember nothing?” he asked, after studying what was on the clipboard for a moment.
 
“I'm one hundred percent sure,” she replied. “Doctor Tanaka, Landon was wondering if you plan to start conditioning them soon.”
 
Doctor Tanaka nodded. “Yes, of course. Has he run test to ensure that they are in good physical condition?”
 
The female scientist nodded. “Yes, he has. They are both in good physical condition. They are ready to be awakened.”
 
“I'm sure they are,” Doctor Tanaka said. He rose from his chair. “We won't waste any more time, then.” He walked out the door. The other scientist followed them.
 
They walked down a hallway and into a room containing two large capsules. Inside those capsules were a boy and a girl, both approximately sixteen years old. Both were wearing what looked like robotic suits, with a few odd features: the suits had cat ears, claws, and tails. In the center of a room was a computer, with a man in a white coat seated in front of it. The scientists approached the man.
 
“Ria tells me that you've performed all of the tests, Landon,” the doctor said. The male scientist nodded.
 
“Yes, everything is completed and ready. All we're waiting for is your approval to wake them up.”
 
“Then do it,” Doctor Tanaka said.
 
Landon pressed a button on the keyboard and a siren went off. He pressed another button and it stopped. “Security feature,” he muttered. The doctor nodded. Landon pressed yet another button and the capsules, which had previously been filled with a strange liquid, began to drain.
 
Within a few minutes the capsules were empty. Landon pressed another button and the capsule doors opened. Then, at the same time, the children opened their eyes.
 
Doctor Tanaka walked toward them. “Don't be afraid, my children,” he said. “I am your father and I'm going to help you be everything you could ever dream of being.”
 
Both children stared back at him blankly.
“Step forward,” Doctor Tanaka said. “Step forward and embrace your destiny.” The teenagers stepped out of the capsules and looked at each other. “You are robots, designed to be soldiers in an upcoming war,” he explained.
 
“Why do we look like this?” the boy asked, gesturing to the girl's ears and claws.
 
“I didn't design you,” the doctor said, pointing at Ria. “She made the designs. I only gave her a few specifications.”
 
“I thought that if you looked cute, nobody would suspect that you were actually soldiers,” Ria said.
 
“As unconventional as your design is, it does have a purpose,” Doctor Tanaka explained. “Over the next few months, we will train you in all aspects of combat, as well as some other skills that could prove useful.”
 
The robots were silent. They stared at him.
 
“Do you understand?” he asked.
 
“I understand,” the girl said.
 
“Excellent, Number Two. And how about you, Number One?”
 
“I understand,” he said. “But can we eat first?”
 
Doctor Tanaka sighed. “Yes, I suppose.” He turned around, pointing at Landon, who rushed out of the room to find Number One some food. “Until dinner is ready, Ria will show you your rooms.” He glanced at Ria, who nodded.
 
“This way,” Ria said, leading the robotic cats out of the room. They headed down a long hallway. Ria smiled. “I've been waiting for this day for so long. I'm so happy that I finally get to meet you.”
 
“I don't understand any of this,” Number Two said. “We're supposed to be soldiers?”
 
“Yes,” Ria said. “Doctor Tanaka has had this vision for over twenty years. He was finally able to realize his dream through the two of you.”
 
“And it wasn't his dream for us to look like…cats?” Number One asked.
 
“That was mine,” Ria said. “Why? Don't you like it?”
 
“It's just strange,” Number One said. “So what, we're like robo kitties or something?”
 
“Robo kitties,” Ria repeated. “I like it.”
 
“It's dumb,” Number Two said. “It doesn't sound like something that would strike fear into the heart of anybody.”
 
“I kind of like it,” Number One admitted. “But it would sound more menacing if it was, like…Robo Kitties Space Force. That would definitely be terrifying.”
 
“If you're an idiot,” Number Two replied. “Two is not enough for a `force.' It's not enough to do anything.”
 
“Well, our hope is to make more like you soon enough,” Ria explained. She stopped walking and opened a door. “This is your room, Number One,” she said.
 
Number One stepped inside, inspecting it. “It's very blue.” It was true. The walls were blue, the carpet was blue, and all of the furniture was blue.
 
“It's designed to match you,” Ria explained. “You know, because you're…blue.”
 
“Yeah,” Number One said. “I figured. It's not bad. I like blue.”
 
“I'm glad,” Ria said. “Here, Number Two, this is your room.”
 
“It's pink, isn't it?” Number Two asked as Ria opened the door to the next room. She looked inside and nodded. “Yes. Pink. I hate pink.”
 
“I'm sorry,” Ria said. “Do you want me to redecorate? I could do it…”
 
“I don't care,” Number Two said, walking inside.
 
“Okay, well, I'll be back in a bit to call you for dinner.” She smiled and walked down the hall.
 
“She was nice,” Number One said, watching her walk away.
 
“She's an idiot,” Number Two replied.