Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Running ❯ Running ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“Running”
by The Jade
 
It was a glorious night. The sound of rubber slapping against pavement in steady rhythm was harsh and soothing compared to the silent night. I watched as the pale moon sent its thin strands and wisps of light down to the unworthy human beings. The moonlight seemed to barely touch the road ahead yet it lit the way like a beacon. It was a clarion call into the night.
 
My head began to pound with exhaustion and my eyes began to blur with the sweat cascading from every pore of every inch of my skin. A brief thought flashed across my still functioning mind:
 
Why am I doing this?
 
I was fit. I was slim, or as slim as I wanted to be. I was exhausted from night after night of studying and working and striving for a stupid letter of the alphabet that some guy decided to be first.
 
I didn't need to be doing this. I could be at home sleeping or watching some crappy movie on TV or working on the Homework That Never Ceased. Or... doing anything than this now - running.
 
But I loved it. I loved the challenge of how much time I can do a mile in. I loved pushing my sore and throbbing muscles to keep going and willing my body to move when it cried out so loudly to stop.
 
After all, my old gym teacher used to say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If that was entirely true, then I have the strength of 5 grown men and then some.
 
How can I explain it though? Hearing yourself pant and push to continue beneath the moonlight and street lamps. Laughing out loud at some memory or something someone said earlier, just because you can without anyone thinking you're nuts.
 
It's such a feeling of free and go and that whole cheesy and doomed I-never-want-this-to-end, this-is-gonna-last-forever feeling other people like to sing about when they talk about their youth.
 
I've always mocked it as being corny and overrated. But for that span of time I know that feeling inside and out and I am one with it. For that moment in time, I totally buy into it and just... breathe and move...