Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Tragedies of the Heart ❯ I Found You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
I Found You
 
A child. That is what Ian seemed to be as he sat there staring at the girl blankly. He was speechless as his head pounded and raced frantically. How could she see him? Was it because of that strange dream? He shook his head and darted towards the window. He leapt through it and held his arms as he plummeted to the streets below.
 
“Wait! Mister!” The girl called as she leaned out the window as she watched the boy fall.
 
Not noticing until now, he was not his angelic self. He panicked but quickly regained composure as he shifted forms and spread his wings painfully. He was able to catch himself before it was to late and quickly ran from the hospital. In the east the morning sun was beginning to rise.
 
The girl sighed and slouched on the windowsill. She turned slowly back to her bed and on the floor behind her she saw a white feather. She slowly walked to it and picked it up gingerly with her index and middle finger. She smiled softly to her self and giggled.
 
“We'll meet again Mr. Angel.” She said as she spun in a small circle slowly and crawled back into her bed. She held the feather close to her as she covered herself back up in her sheets. She turned off her light and closed her eyes softly, still smiling to herself.
 
The angel went to the only place he could go. He went to his place of employment, the drug store. He slowly and quietly touched down in the same dark, dirty alley and changed back into his human form. He placed on his glasses and rubbed his back. His wings had needed time to stretch before he strained them with the jar of the updraft from the side of the building. He sighed as the dulling pain slowly faded and he slowly advanced towards the back door.
 
He opened the door and grabbed his same brown apron. He removed his beanie and placed it on the hook beside the door. In the front of the store, he could hear loud noises. It sounded like his co-workers had clocked in early for once this morning.
 
Ian sighed deeply as he tied his apron behind his back and walked through the swinging doors that led to the front. Three guys sat goofing off at the front desk and snickered as Ian walked passed. He ignored them as usual but it still didn't stop their taunting.
 
“Hey dirty! Who do you think you are just walking by us like that? From the stench you just brought in, you should be taken out back and hosed down along with all the other mangy mutts. We'll even teach you what soap is for if we feel like it.” He said as the two others laughed. The leader of the group was tall, dark, and stupid. He was a pampered rich boy that was forced to get a job so that he could learn the value of a dollar, but it didn't seem to be working. He had the brawns, but no brains. He had messy black hair and had two lazy eyes that always looked like he was on something. He wasn't your typical, all bark and no bite type. He was your all bark and all bite. He could back up anything he said with his two iron fists. This being was known as Kyle Betterman. By his name, you would think it would mean something, but unfortunately it doesn't in the sense that we first thing of. Though, Kyle does think he is a better man then the rest of us.
 
The two beside him are his lowly stereotypical lackeys. Jeremy and Alex. They aren't too important. They usually keep quiet. The two of them are sons of the employees that work for the Betterman's and that's how all three of them associated with one another. They carry out Kyle's orders when he barks them.
 
Ian ignored them as he walked through the store and flipped the sign from Closed to Open. He unlocked the doors and turned them on since they were attached to a sensor. Next to the door he grabbed a broom and a bucket to go and sweep the floors.
 
“Hey! Pay attention when I'm talking to you!” Kyle fumed as he jumped over the counter top and quickly strolled over to Ian. Kyle grabbed Ian's collar and lifted him slightly off of his feet. “Hasn't anyone ever taught you manners?”
 
Ian stood on his tiptoes holding the broom handle tightly in his hands. He looked Kyle straight in the eyes and said nothing. He didn't flinch when Kyle held up a fist. “No, have you?” He asked with the same monotone voice as always.
 
“Why doesn't your face or voice ever change? Every time I see you I want to knock sense into that retarded brain of yours.” He paused as Ian continued to stare at him. “I can't stand that look. It is like you don't even acknowledge anyone and just stare right through them.” Kyle said in an almost deep growl. He threw Ian to the floor and stood over him. “You never flinch! You just stand there! Maybe if someone rattled your brain around in that dirt covered head of yours maybe you would be able to understand everything that is being said to you.”
 
“Matters! Betterman! Stop fooling around and get your asses in gear! There is work to do! If you are not willing to take your jobs seriously, I can have replacements in here in a matter of hours!” The manager yelled from the side of the store. Kyle let Ian go and swore under his breath as he walked back to the front desk to take his post. His two lackeys had disappeared from sight. They probably saw the boss coming and scrambled to get to work.
 
The day drug on as little amount of customers entered and left the store. From the main office, the boss was watching the news. Kyle and his lackeys were sitting around the main desk reading magazines while Ian carried boxes.
 
“The city is put on high alert this morning…”
 
No one worked around the drug store. It was an easy job, but with an easy job came troublesome, lazy people. Ian did more then his share of the work, day in and day out. He didn't say anything though. He kept to himself and just did. He stacked the shelves. He washed the windows. He took inventory. He ordered supplies when needed and did the repairs around the store where they were needed.
 
“The police had received a missing person's report…”
 
Ian heard the door open and shut behind him. He was busying stocking the shelves with a new non-prescription drug that was to help get rid of the symptoms of colds. He picked up a few and stacked them one by one in front of one another in a small single line. He turned around to pick up a few more boxes when he jumped suddenly.
 
“The missing person has been reported to be a young girl who had ran away from the local hospital…”
 
The girl stood in front of Ian smiling cheerfully. She was pale and her eyes did not have the usual shine in them. She tightly held in her right hand that had a brilliant white feather in it. “Hello Mister Angel. You forgot this when you left.”
 
Ian looked down at the girl's open palm. He saw the white feather and looked away. “You are mistaken miss…I do not even know you.” Ian said quietly trying to avoid eye contact.
 
“I thought you knew a lot of people though Mr. Angel.” She said brightly, “My name is Iris Leigh, and what is your name?” She asked but noticed his name tag, `I-Ian Mat-tters, so that is what Mr. Angel's name is.”
 
“Please don't call me that here…please stay quiet.” Ian said as the boys from the front desk took notice in the young girl, especially Kyle.
 
“So you are Mr. Angel! I thought I saw you working here once or twice before.” She said more excitedly.
 
“Please Miss—” Ian began.
 
“Iris, call me Iris.” Iris said with a quiet chuckle.
 
“Iris…please do not call Mr. Angel, or anything that hints that I may be him.” He asked quietly looking down at her.
 
“But…Mr. Angel…” She said weakly as she stumbled and fell forwards onto Ian.
 
“It is critical that she is found and brought back immediately. If anyone has any information on her whereabouts, please contact the director of police at-”
 
Ian caught her. The manager walked out of his office and saw the awkward position Ian was in.
 
“Matters! Slacking off again! What do you think you—” He paused as he saw the girl. “She's the girl that the police have been looking for. She's a hospital patient. Well! What are you standing around for! Get her back to the hospital Matters!”
 
Ian nodded and quickly picked her up in his arms and carried her out the front door. He ran down the sidewalk and dodged people left and right. This was going to slow. Iris needed help now. Ian quickly sought out a dark alley. He finally succeeded in finding what he needed and took haste as he ran into the alley to cover him from the eyes of the population. He opened his wings and took flight. He didn't care if people could see him now. He didn't care if people saw what he was wearing. He had to do everything in his power to save the girl that had come looking for him.
 
People stopped and stared as they saw a flash of what they thought was a large bird dive out of the ally way.
 
“What was that?” Someone shouted.
 
“Was it a large bird?” Another yelled.
 
“Look! It's the angel! It's really him!” A small girl yelled as she tugged on her mother's skirt.
 
“The angel? This time of day?”
 
“He was carrying that run away! He went and saved her!” Another yelled.
 
“He's not saving her! Are you blind? He's taking her away!”
 
The crowd continued to yell back at one another about their views while the angel took Iris towards the hospital to get her some help.
 
Ian arrived at the hospital and laid Iris down in her bed carefully. He reached over and pressed the call button. He stood up right and walked towards the window. He placed one foot out but stopped. He turned and looked back and slowly walked towards her again as the doctors rushed in.
 
The room was lit from the light of the sun. The doctors checked Iris over and decided to take her into another room for a closer examination. While preparing Iris for the move, one doctor found a glowing white feather clutched within her hands.
 
“It looks like she has a guardian angel looking out for her…” He turned the to open windows and looked outside at the sky. “Thank you…”
 
The Doctors moved Iris onto a smaller bed and began to roll her out of the room. Before leaving the room, the nurse that had been watching over Iris grabbed the clipboard from her bed. She flipped through the pages and began filling out details in the appropriate places, and at the top of one of the sheets read, “Hypoxia”.
 
~ * ~