Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Notes: Names for the characters are taken from members of Mediaminer.org. Any other resemblance to people living or dead is in your imagination. All in fun, so please don’t kill me. Or if you do, please make it quick.

Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

The stars blazed off in the distance as they swept in towards the island floating in mid air, their golden armor gleaming as they struck with flaming swords. The creature writhed beneath their attack, it’s black skin rippling as it fought back but it’s dark touch seemed unable to harm their shining presence.

The leader flew in on fiery wings, waiting for the right moment then she struck, putting the struggling figure out of it’s misery with one sweep of her flaming sword. Pushing up the visor on her high tech battle armor revealed gentle eyes, black hair curling out from beneath her helm as she turned to the others.

“Where did it come from?” Chibi of the Halo corps asked, sliding her sword away into it’s special hilt with a soft click of metal on metal.

“It ventured into the Celestial realm from the outer dark,” Sisi revealed, a few red streaks highlighting her dark hair. The younger angel frowned as she slid her glasses from a pouch within her armor and put them on, “I have no idea why it attacked, tho.”

“Creatures from the outer dark are drawn to the light,” Flame of the Ice realm said as the dusky skinned angel prodded the beast with her boot, “it has ever been like this.”

“Someone needs to go contact Lady Fanilla,” Chibi Halo noted, “and let Root know about the creature, this bug.”

“Not to mention Dan,” Flame of Ice added.

“I am not going to the Lower realm to talk to him,” Sisi said quickly, “why don’t we just ask Dice to do it?”

“Devil Dice?” Chibi Halo thought about it, “Yes, even though he is busy watching over those strange gamers. I’ll let him know.” With that she snapped her armor’s visor down and rose into the air, shining wings manifesting to carry her away.

Leaving her compatriots behind on the floating island Chibi Halo soared towards the center of the realm, the golden city that shone and pulsed with over a million lives. She soared through the crowded skies, dodging other Halo Corps members, vessels and transports as she searched for the right tower.

It was the music that finally drew her to a tower, the room on the upper floor scattered with papers and musical instruments. “Chibi,” Rando frowned as he picked up his guitar, “you’re interrupting my work.”

“Have you seen Dice?” she asked the musician politely.

“Last I saw he was gambling with Lady Macbeth,” Rando noted.

“That could be trouble,” Chibi blinked.

“Tell me about it.” Rando gave one of his rare smiles.

“Thank you,” Chibi slipped out the window and unfurled her wings, dropping down gracefully to the street far below.

The streets were crowded as usual, friends and companions hurrying on their various business. At this place everyone seemed to meet everyone else, usually, and it fell to people like Chibi Halo to keep the peace. Halo, and others like her.

“Halo love,” Shane smiled as he emerged from the crowd, flashing her a grin. “Busy again, I see,” he noted the look on her face.

“I need Dice to deliver a message,” Chibi admitted as she recounted the guardians encounter with the bug.

“Thirteen might have seen him, too,” Shane noted.

“Thanks, I’ll ask,” Chibi gave him a peck on the cheek and then was off.

“Shane!” Rini popped out of the crowd, the woman grabbing him by the ear.

“Ow! Hey, what?” Shane asked as she hauled him off.

“You didn’t get the latest strip done,” Rini fumed as she pulled him along.

“Yes, ma’am,” Shane whimpered.

Guarding the Gates Thirteen was a young man, but garbed in his knight’s armor and bearing a sword too he was a formidable presence. One by one he checked over those seeking to enter the city, and with gentle wisdom turned aside those who were unworthy.

“3y3 I/I33d j00 t0....” L33t Dude frowned, his scraggly hair falling into his face.

“I’m sorry,” Thirteen shook his head.

“It’s always hard turning the noobs away,” Chibi noted as she came up beside him.

“I always hate to do it,” Thirteen agreed. The young knight looked at her curiously and asked, “What’s up?”

“Looking for Dice,” Chibi said as she explained the situation.

“I had heard he was gambling and drinking grog with Lady Macbeth,” Thirteen noted, frowning slightly in disapproval. It wasn’t that he minded grog, but he wasn’t quite old enough to enjoy it himself.

“I heard,” Chibi smiled wryly, “but where? There are so many places he could go!”

“A point,” Thirteen admitted. He looked thoughtful and mused, “You could always check out the Attic.”

“I can’t quite see them hanging with the love birds,” Chibi shook her head.

“How about the public House?” Thirteen offered.

“It’s become a hang out for the younger citizens,” Chibi informed him, “and I understand Flame goes there on her days off.”

“Poor things,” Thirteen’s lips twitched up in a impish smile. “I guess that leaves Rokan’s Tower,” he pointed out.

“Thanks,” Chibi waved as she started off.

“Watch out for Mandy’s Secret Society,” Thirteen called to her, “they’ve been pretty active lately.”

“They know not to interfere with me,” Chibi said with a chuckle.

Rokan’s tower was owned, of course, by Rokan though it was frequented by people from all over the city. Over a hundred floors tall and filled with entertainments of all kinds, it was widely known and well loved. Well, loved except for those times it was shut down for various code violations, natural disasters and other events.

The sound of a hammer rang out nearby as Chibi passed by Vigilante’s forge, the blacksmith within working away. Deciding not to bother him just then Chibi continued onward, dodging a river of gravy as she neared the Tower itself.

“Hey,” Vigilante stuck his head out, “I just get a mention?” Returning to his forge he grumbled, “Lazy writer.”

“How did I get here?” Haruka frowned, the young woman sitting cross legged by the door. The Bubblegum Alchemist, as she was called, seemed amused as she and lorddane waited for the gravy flood to end.

“Dunno,” lorddane said, “want some metal?”

“Ah, no,” Haruka blinked.

“Your loss,” lorddane went back to chewing on a piece of tin.

Deciding she really didn’t want to know, Chibi ignored the metal eating and instead asked them, “Is the gaming house still in here?”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure which floor,” Haruka admitted.

“Lovely,” Halo sighed, “is Rokan in?”

“Yup,” lorddane nodded, “him and Zorak, his muse.”

After a short flight to the top of the tower and a interesting three way discussion between Chibi, Rokan and Zorak she found out the correct floor, number fifty. Knowing that getting in through the windows was going to be difficult she headed down stairs, passing by many of the usual inhabitants. Baiyu Dan was still selling illegal merchandise, Abyss was rampaging around and Alone4ever was dealing in slightly hot vacuums.

Finally reaching the fiftieth floor Chibi puffed a bit, leaning against the wall. “I’ve gotta work out more,” she groaned.

“Whoo-hoo!” Juggy yelled, waving a mug of beer around as she and a few friends sat around a table. The place was packed, men and women pressed tight as they played and talked. SilverArmada grinned as the brown haired woman sat back at their table while Dumas kept a wary eye out.

“What’s wrong?” SilverArmada asked.

“I keep expecting to get hit by a truck,” Dumas admitted.

Up at the bar, Zarm was passing out suspicious looking drinks that smoked slightly. “Just try one,” she grinned charmingly, “it won’t hurt!”

“Sure,” Juggy took a long swig. The brown haired girl froze, her matching eyes growing unfocused as she fell back with a thump.

“Another one who can’t hold their booze,” Takkeh noted, the women shaking her head with a smile.

“Excuse me, coming through,” Chibi bumped and pressed her way through, eventually reaching the gaming tables in the back of the room.

“All right, Dice,” Lady Macbeth grinned, outfitted in her usual pirate garb. She leaned over the craps table, watching the game intently.

“All right, lucky seven,” DevilDice murmured, the man rattling the dice in his hand. With a dramatic throw he tossed, the two dice bounced on a mat and came up... snake eyes. “Ah, man!” he groaned.

Smack! Lady Macbeth cuffed him one and growled, “You know how much money I just lost on you?”

“Dice,” Chibi grabbed him by the arm, also giving Lady Macbeth a smile.

“Oh, hi Chibi,” Dice smiled a bit sheepishly.

“What are you doing here, Dice?” Chibi sighed, “You’re on messenger duty.”

“I kinda lost track of time,” Dice conceded, getting up. “Where too?” he asked.

“Bug report,” Chibi handed him the data, “it has to be delivered to Dan.”

“The pink one?” Dice used Dan’s nickname fearfully. With a soft sigh he said, “All right, I’ll do it.”

“Glad that job’s done,” Chibi relaxed a bit.

“Chibi?” Lady Macbeth asked?

“Yes?” Chibi asked, suddenly feeling wary.

“Don’t bug reports need to go to Fanilla too?” Lady Macbeth asked innocently.

Chibi blinked at her then smacked her forehead with a groan, “I forgot!” She thought wildly a moment, “Lady Macbeth, you couldn’t....?”

“Sorry,” Lady Macbeth grinned, “I’m off duty.”

“An angel’s work is never done,” Chibi sighed, heading off and readying herself for yet another LONG trip.

End.