Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Split ❯ Split ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: seeing as how I usually write fanfiction, it's so nice to not have to write a disclaimer! I do own this! I own the characters! I own the idea! I own it all! Hahaha!! (I think I might need to spend some time in this hospital).
Anyway, this is my first chapter of what will hopefully be quite a long story, all focusing on different people inside this hospital. I have some ideas, involving a schizophrenic, a psychopath and a feral child. Therefore, these will be less of an actual story and more of a series of oneshots focusing on each person. However, they will all come together in the end! (I hope). So that said, please enjoy the product of my sick and twisted mind.
 
 
Split
 
She sighed. She was in control today. It was touch and go, an ever-raging war for her body. And it was her body. But sometimes it got stolen. Body jacked.
She rolled out of bed and walked over to the window. She took in the view for a moment, preparing herself for the next task.
Steeling her courage, she turned to the calendar. Still June, good. Frowning, she mouthed the numbers, counting the days since she last remembered. She frowned when she reached her conclusion.
She last remembered June sixth. Now, it was June twelfth. Six days. That bitch had stolen six days of her life. She growled, low in her throat. How dare she. How dare she take control of her body for six whole days! How dare she!
“Good morning!”
Her head snapped up at the predictably cheery voice to see a nurse entering, wheeling her breakfast in on a tray.
“And how are you feeling today?” she questioned, smiling at her. She growled again. What the nurse really meant to say was not “how are you today” it was “who are you today.”
“I'm Lucy,” she muttered, and the nurse's smile got that little bit wider.
“Hello, Lucy! And are you feeling well?”
She nodded. No point in making the vacuous woman worry. It would only end in her having to spend the whole day having tests run on her, and she had only got her body back. She didn't want it poked and prodded today.
The nurse set the breakfast tray on her bedside table, and smiled at her again.
“Would you like me to leave you alone to eat?” she asked brightly, and Lucy nodded slowly. Still smiling that inane grin, the nurse walked out, closing the door behind her. Lucy glared. Despite her incessant cheeriness, she liked that nurse. She didn't want to know she had to share her with…with the bitch that rose up from her mind and took over her body.
Still scowling, she began to eat her breakfast, taking her time to savour the food. She hadn't eaten in six days. Of course, the other one had eaten, so her body was not starved, but still. She hadn't had the taste, the sensations of having food in her mouth for almost a week. It even made the bland, vitamin enriched hospital food taste delicious.
It took her over half an hour to finish eating, but that didn't matter. The longer she took to eat, the more she delayed the nurse's return. She wasn't sure if she was supposed to socialise today. That was what they called it; the doctors said it was important for patients to interact with each other to help them regain a sense of reality. She snorted. She didn't need to regain a sense of reality. She already had one. She knew exactly what was real and what wasn't. She was real, she knew that. The bitch wasn't. She could steal her body and give herself a name, but none of that made her real. She was just…a liar. She lied. She said that Lucy wasn't real. Lucy didn't believe her. The doctors said this was good to help maintain herself she had to be sure of herself. She didn't listen to them. They probably said the same things to the other one.
“Are you done?”
She looked up as the nurse entered and nodded slowly.
“Lovely!” the nurse clapped her hands together. Did she always have to be so happy about every tiny little thing?
“Am I going out today?” Lucy asked.
“Yes dear, you're going to go in the yard with some of the other patients. Doesn't that sound like fun?”
Lucy didn't answer, her brain doing quick calculations. Socialisation was once a week.
“Has…she been out? While she was stealing my body?”
“No dear. Sally missed it I'm afraid. You came just in time!”
Lucy rolled her eyes. She hated the way people spoke like that, as if she and Sally were just two people who shared the same house. Sometimes one was home, sometimes the other. Still. Sally missed socialisation. She'd spent six days cooped up in the room. That knowledge gave her a small feeling of satisfaction, knowing that even though Sally had stolen her body, she probably hadn't enjoyed it much.
Socialisation was the same as always. Talk to the more lucid ones. Some would talk to her. Some liked Sally better. She didn't care. Those people weren't real either. You can't be real if you like someone who is herself unreal.
Jack was the hardest to get talking, but once he did, he liked Lucy better.
“They like you best,” he'd whisper hoarsely, eyes bright and wild as though he was telling you a great secret, and then he'd wander off to talk to the people in his head again. Lucy shook her head. Sometimes she'd wonder why they brought that boy out in the first place. He had plenty of company in his room, with all those people he talked to.
Then she had lunch. The novelty of eating again was wearing off by now and by the time she had dinner it had gone completely, and the food was returned to its usual bland, tasteless state.
When she went to bed, she curled up under the covers, and didn't get to sleep until eleven thirty. When she did, she dreamt her own dreams.
June twelfth. Eleven fifty-nine. Thirty seconds until the next day. Twenty seconds. Ten. Five. Two.
June thirteenth. One minute past. A new day.
*
“Wake up, sleepy head!”
The nurse was as cheerful as ever as she rolled in the tray, watching the girl stir and emerge from the covers.
“And how are you today?” The question was obligatory, necessary, to discern whom it was in the bed, and how to act around her.
The girl looked up slowly, and smiled, a smug, satisfied smile.
“I'm Sally.”