Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Stories of Ye' Old Gettysburg ❯ Mr. Blocker ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

3. After the Battle of Gettysburg, when people were burying the dead and shipping bodies back to Virginia and Maryland and everywhere else, a man named Mr. Blocker was gathering deceased Confederate soldiers, and putting them in coffins. As soon as he heard of who the dead soldiers' families were, he would pay for fare and put them on the train to their families. Since the way it was set up, the families had to pay for them when they got their, but the South was very poor at this time because of the war, so no one could pay. After a while of getting cheated out of his money, Mr. Blocker decided to tell the trains' conductor to throw the coffins out of the train (while it was running) if the payment could not be fulfilled. When this did not work, he decided to instead cut the heads of the soldiers off and keep them. That way, the families would get the bodies, but would not get the heads until they fulfilled the complete payment. If they did not pay in a certain amount of time, Mr. Blocker would take the enamel fillings out of the teeth and sell them for money. After he started doing this, the families quickly started coughing up the money.