Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tabs ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]



Prologue

Sleep eluded me as it always did, taking me well into the dawn before my eyes shuttered closed for maybe an hour’s rest. I was, at that time, running from personal demons. Not the hauntings of my past, but actual creatures of the night. Any mythical creepy-crawly imaginable (and even some that weren’t) pretty much had had the same mind-set; kill me.

But that had been nine years ago - most of my hunters assumed me long since dead. Hell, I even wonder if I am dead. I should be dead on all accounts; I am only a walking corpse without my heart. That’s where my little checklist comes in handy:


1.Hunt down and kill the vampire that ripped my beating heart out
2.Reverse my disease
3.Find a mate and do what every organism on Earth does: reproduce

Most think I prioritize horribly; a life-threatening disease should come well before revenge. But then again, most don’t want to let the person that almost destroyed them the first time to have another chance. As for the disease, I’d lasted those nine years with it; what was another week going to do?

I’d already found the bastard that nearly did me in under two months ago. He resides in a cozy little hidey-hole near downtown Denver, thinking I’m dead, gone and nothing to worry about. Far from it. I’m actually quite alive, physically well and about to be his next greatest fear. That was any vampire’s real downfall; their cockiness.

Most modern humans think of vampires as beings that survive on another’s blood and ooze sex appeal. And some of them do. But as for the rest of the “vampires” that fall under that category, they are fake. The blood-sucking vamps are becoming scarce and outdated.

Vampires as I’ve encountered them are either sustained by some form of emotional energy or by a very unappealing diet of aborted fetuses. Want to bet who the majority of votes for abortion are coming from? Bing! That type of vampire. Not that I am really against abortion myself. My only real opposition to it is that unborn babies feed a race I could easily live without.

The bodies of the no-longer-going-to-be infants have that potential energy for life stored, apparently. I suppose it is because life is being transferred to them before they are removed from their would-be mothers‘ wombs, and because their life-force is just beginning they must have a stronger life-force than adults. Or maybe it just doesn’t taste so old, like stale spoonfuls of cereal.

Not that I really plan on going up to a vampire and asking them that. I might be curious ‘n’ all, and sometimes pretty stupid, but not to the point that it becomes suicidal.

Okay, so maybe I do. But that’s beside the point.

Mainly, I keep an eye out for myself these days. I knew the vampire was going to appear right wherever I was eventually. Sure enough he did. Now I just have to take him down and out as soon as possible with as few problems as possible. Sounds easy, right? I mean, yeah, I loved him once and even gave everything I could offer a man to him, but that was nine-eleven years ago. Surely he can’t impact me anymore?

Heh, right.