Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tender as a Human ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just for our pieces of mind (the few pieces we have), we, the writers of this beautiful dragon story, would like to just point out that this story belongs to us exclusively, and shall remain so forever more.
 
So mote it be…
 
PROLOGUE
 
Seluna growled menacingly, baring all of her long, sharp teeth. The sorcerer standing in front of her was unmoved, staying still as stone.
 
The valley they were standing in had been turned barren from the ensuing battle between them. Seluna had blown fire hot enough to melt the earth at the magician, scorching the green earth into a desert land. The blue skies mocked her; the sorcerer had caught her feeding and grounded her with a spell. Those same skies asked her why she did not flee to them - why did she battle with the human?
 
I will not be your medicine cabinet, Melvin! roared Seluna, beating her bat like wings once and looking very intimidating. The sorcerer's face crumpled into a snarl.
 
“No one calls me Melvin except my mother, foul beast!” the sorcerer roared back. He raised the staff he was holding, the tip illuminating as bright as the sun. Seluna was no idiot after 207 years of fighting knights, wizards, and princes, though; this dragon wasn't going to be defeated that easily. She laughed deeply, midnight blue scales shining.
 
“Prepare to die, Melvin,” Seluna laughed. She leapt forward and chomped at Melvin, snatching him into the air with her sharp, jagged teeth, staff and all. With one toss of the dragon's head, Melvin was gone.
 
“That will teach you to mess with a dragon,” Seluna said to herself, spreading her great wings in preparation to take off. Suddenly, her chest began to glow and Seluna screamed in pain. “No!” Seluna roared, falling to her knees.
 
“No!” She fell over into the dust, golden eyes rolling up into her head. Her chest ceased glowing and Seluna lay there, knocked out cold.
 
 
SELUNA woke up an indeterminable amount of time later. She didn't get up, but looked around. Her vision seemed less sharp, but she felt fine. Seluna got up, staring confusedly at the ground. It was only a foot or two away. She frowned, turning her head. Something slid silkily down the side of her face, and Seluna jumped. She turned to look, and saw human hands below her, holding her up on all fours. Black hair fell over her shoulders. Seluna collapsed out of shock, staring up into the sky. She was a human - a filthy human.
 
The once-dragon growled, her human throat making it very unsatisfying. She knew she had to find a powerful sorcerer to reverse Melvin's curse now. That meant she would have to find a human to help her.
 
Seluna sat up, her goal set firmly in her mind. She stood up unsteadily on her two human legs and stumbled around like a toddler for a little while before walking in the direction of the nearest village she knew of - Boerville.
 
 
AT that very same moment, Jeordin of Boerville was gathering his weapons. From the sounds of the roaring in the valley, Melvin hadn't done well in his fight against the dragon. It looked like the villagers of Boerville would have to take care of the problem.
 
Jeordin was ready to set off, holding an old short sword and a burning torch, along with his bow and quiver slung across his back. He looked up to see a black haired woman standing completely naked in front of him. She did not even seem to notice she was unclothed as she wobbled towards him. Jeordin blinked twice, and averted his gaze. The maiden stared at him with wise blue eyes that did not fit with her young face. She frowned suddenly, standing for a minute as if puzzling out a problem.
 
“Um… Do you need something, miss?” Jeordin asked, expecting her to answer “clothes”. The maiden opened her mouth, making a weird sound, and stared at Jeordin expectantly.
 
“What?” Jeordin asked, at a loss for words - hers or his own. The girl frowned again.
 
“H—EELP!” she exclaimed cheerily.
 
“You need help? What do you need help with?” He inquired. The girl contorted her features, making a few more strange sounds before finally saying, “M-Malvan… Karsd.”
 
“You had better come with me. I'll take you to the village magician. We'll see if he can help,” sighed Jeordin, turning back towards the thirty houses of Boerville.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2