Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tested in Fire: New Humanity Part eight
 
Jack took the pouch of coins, quickly weighing it by feel then simply setting it aside. Davidson was the Shogun's man, and Jack knew there was no way that he'd disrespect her or the Shogun by trying to play her out. "All right," she nodded as she sat on the corner of her desk, "who do I have to protect?"
 
"Motoko?" Davidson turned while still leaning on his cane, looking out to the hallway where Jack had heard a presence moments before.
 
The redhead entered the room silently, keeping her head downward respectfully. She stopped by Davidson's side and looked up, green eyes set in a clearly Asian face, her smile tentative as she said, "It's an honor to meet one so highly regarded, Scott-san."
 
"Jack is fine," she answered crisply, feeling a flash of anger when she was the bruises the young woman was trying to hide. She had issues around people hurting women, and if she could she liked to make them pay personally.
 
"Motoko Fitzgerald works as a hostess over at the Nightingale," Davidson pushed up his glasses, "it's where I met her a few moths ago." He paused, looking grim, "It was outside of the club where she was attacked."
 
"Then whomever's after you, Mr. Davidson, also knows a great deal about your personal life to target you," Jack noted. She paused a second, "You're married?"
 
Davidson didn't answer, but he hesitated a telling moment. Motoko colored slightly, opening her mouth to say something then shut it.
 
"Not any of my business," Jack tossed that aside, "but I'll have to keep it in mind." She looked over at Motoko, brown hair falling over her blue eyes, "Motoko-san, you know that Davidson is hiring me to be your bodyguard?" She waited for the nod before continuing, "I'll do my best not to inconvenience you, but there may be some disruption to your life."
 
"I trust you know best," Motoko bowed again, her simple black dress hugging her slim body, the gold jewelry she wore subtle and tasteful.
 
'Not at all what I expected when Davidson called her a goodtime girl,' Jack mused. She looked at the older man, "When do you want me to start?"
 
"Immediately, if possible," Davidson answered promptly. He smiled grimly, "I'll only be free to act if Motoko is kept safe."
 
"Then I'm ready to go," Jack offered her hand and Davidson shook it firmly.
 
"I feel better already," Davidson answered as he slipped his hand free. "If you'll excuse us a moment?" he took Motoko aside. "Don't worry," he said to her in unaccented Japanese, "Jack Scott is very good, you'll be safe."
 
"Thank you, Davidson-sama," Motoko answered in the same tongue, "I am glad that Scott-san turned out to be less crude than I was expecting."
 
Jack had to fight back any sign of amusement. 'Wonder if I should tell them I speak Japanese?' she wondered as she tidied her desk.
 
"Things will be resolved in a few days," he continued in Japanese, "I promise."
 
Motoko bowed slightly, "I look forward to hearing of your success."
 
Switching back to English Davidson turned to Jack, "I advanced you five days fees, things should be resolved before then." He walked to the door, hesitating a moment before adding, "And thank you for taking the job."
 
"You're welcome," Jack answered as she watched him go. 'This Motoko is important enough for him to hire me to protect,' she mused, 'but not for a tender farewell? Interesting.' She turned to Motoko and studied her a moment, "So, do you have a preference where we hole up?"
 
"Eh?" Motoko looked surprised, pushing her red hair back nervously.
 
Jack smiled slightly, "The best way I can guard you is to take you to someplace reasonably secure and wait there until things are resolved."
 
Motoko shook her head gravely as she said, "I can't do that, I have committed to work tonight at the Nightingale."
 
"Is your job worth your life?" Jack asked curiously.
 
"I gave my word," Motoko answered, though she had gone visibly pale.
 
Jack did her best not to swear, though it took some effort. Going out was spectacularly stupid if she really was targeted, but Motoko seemed to be determined. 'And I did take the job,' Jack reminded herself. "All right," she nodded, "then I'll be coming along."
 
That evening the stars glittered in the night sky above Vancouver, the lack of lights from the city making it even more visible. The Nightingale was safely within the Shogun's territory, a two floor club off Main street in what had once been a business office. Connecting walls had been knocked down and rooms connected, the various decorations giving it an almost 1950's feel.
 
"I wasn't quite expecting this," Motoko commented as they entered the main room, soft music playing in the background. She looked elegant, the green dress swirling around her legs as she nearly slinked across the floor.
 
Jack tugged at the hem of her little black dress, smiling wryly. "I hope I don't look too bad in it," she answered, reaching up to touch the discrete earrings she was wearing. She grinned, "Though I know it's not my usual look."
 
"You look lovely," Motoko murmured, a faint smile on her face.
 
Jack plucked at the front of her dress wryly, "Too bad I'm so pitifully endowed."
 
"Welcome, Motoko," one of the servers beamed, the little blonde looking amused. She looked Jack over, "Who's your friend?"
 
Motoko smiled hesitantly, "This is Jac..."
 
"Jaclyne," Jack stepped in smoothly to say, "I'm visiting from out of town and I asked Motoko to show me around."
 
"Nice to meet you," the blonde smiled, "my name is Chizuru." She looked over at Motoko, "Are you taking a shift tonight?"
 
"Yes, as usual," Motoko nodded. She looked over at Jack, "I'm sure my friend understands."
 
"Of course," Jack smiled back wryly as she added, "but I hope you don't mind me tagging along as much as I can?"
 
Motoko was about to protest that when Chizuru chuckled and said, "Oh, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem."
 
"Of course," Motoko agreed faintly.
 
They made their was through the front rooms where men and women talked, drank and listened to the music. Over on one side a small stage was set up, a oddly familiar looking woman standing there, her voice sweet as she sang to the eagerly listening room.
 
'Jade Flower, Heather,' Jack recognized her as she followed the two to the back. 'Hope she doesn't call attention to me or changing my usual look this way will be for nothing,' she thought.
 
"Get ready," Chizuru smiled as she left, "a few of your regulars are here tonight."
 
"Right," Motoko nodded as she sat down at a dressing table and threw a glance at Jack, "and tell them there'll be another girl guest."
 
"Got it," Chizuru waved.
 
"Are you [planing to shadow me all night?" Motoko frowned, "What if I decide to go home with a client?"
 
"Not going to happen," Jack said as she watched Motoko clean her face then carefully begin applying makeup. She smiled at Motoko's frown, "This isn't a bawdy house, you might keep them company but you don't go home with them."
 
"Very sharp," Motoko nodded slightly.
 
"Which makes me wonder why Davidson lied to me at first," Jack noted, "claiming you were a goodtime girl and his lover."
"You'd have to ask him that," Motoko finished her makeup, her face now subtlety different, more western and less Asian looking.
 
'Of course,' Jack's eyes widened as she finally saw the resemblance skilled use of makeup had hidden, 'she's not his lover, she's Davidson's daughter.'
 
"Is something wrong?" Motoko asked as she smoothly rose to her feet.
 
"No, nothing," Jack smiled. 'If someone knows that and is targeting her,' she thought as they walked out together, 'this could get a lot nastier than I had thought.'
 
To be continued...