Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tested in Fire: New Humanity Part Fourteen
 
"What have you heard about the Sisterhood?" Jack asked curiously as they headed up Hastings Street away from the old Woodwards building. The sandy haired blonde had been gone from the city for awhile, it was faintly possible they might have changed.
 
"They're all women," Motoko answered, the redhead following gracefully, "and they're completely separatist. No men allowed, and if you try you may be shot or even killed without warning. They do offer sanctuary to women in distress, however."
 
Cole's eyes swept the memorial park as they raced by, a few burned out buildings nearby. "They hold the Harbor Center Tower, the Simon Fraser University facilities, and they expanded into the old Skytrain station at the waterfront recently, too," she said crisply.
 
"Sounds like Bannon's interested in them," Jack muttered, the trio racing by several rebuilt buildings. Once they had been storefronts but now people camped within, taking advantage of the relative safety of the city itself.
 
"Of course we are," Cole shrugged, "having control over the subway tunnels in Vancouver would be a coup for the Mayor. That and having a group of crazies on one of our borders does not make Bannon happy."
 
"They aren't crazies," Motoko frowned, "though I admit they have a bad reputation."
 
"Nice to know things haven't changed much since I was away," Jack murmured as they slowed, nearing the Harbor Center tower. Peering around the corner of a nearby building the studied the situation carefully. The old SFU section once had gleaming windows but they were all boarded up now, the library within gutted by fire. Armed women lurked outside, guns at the ready, and they had a hard, dangerous look in their eyes.
 
"So how do we do this?" Cole asked softly, eyeing the dozen women that were scattered around the area warily.
 
"The old-fashioned way," Jack answered as she boldly stepped out from their cover. Weapons came up, safeties clicking off as she bellowed, "I'm Jack Scott damn it, and the first person to take a shot dies horribly!"
 
"Oh shit," Motoko paled visibly.
 
"You'd do it too, wouldn't you?" a surprisingly pleasant sounding blonde said. An eye-patch covered her left eye and scars marked the side of her face but she moved with grace as she strode up to Jack. "Been awhile," and with that she crushed Jack to her in a hug!
 
"What in the...?" Cole blinked as they women on guard put up their guns and visibly relaxed.
 
"Nice to see you're still alive, Milly," Jack grinned up at her, laughing. Slipping free of the blonde's grip she turned to call, "Come out nice and slow, okay?"
 
Hesitantly Motoko and Cole stepped out of hiding, carefully walking to Jack's side. "You know these people?" Motoko asked softly.
 
"Scott here helped kick Bannon's ass with us the last time he tried to turf us out of here," Milly explained, "she actually held off a dozen troops in one of the hallways till we could get reinforcements to her. We'd have lost the floor and maybe the building if not for her."
 
"That explains a lot," Cole gave Jack a frowning look.
 
"I can't say I approve of your company, Jack," Milly added as she scowled at Cole.
 
"Not too thrilled with having her around myself," Jack admitted, "but it sounds like Rose is up to her old tricks again."
 
"Assassination attempt?" Milly guessed.
 
"Kidnapping and blackmail, this time," Jack shrugged, "she's trying to muscle a Lieutenant of the Shogun. Cole offered to help, mostly to clear her boss' name."
 
"All right, I can buy that," Milly nodded. She turned and waved for them to follow, "How long do you need?"
 
"Day or two, probably," Jack said as they followed through the armed women to the front doors, Milly pushing the boards aside to get them access. It was pretty well lit within, power provided by generators guessing by the low hum in the background, and even more armed women were set up in defensive positions inside.
 
"Are they expecting an invasion?" Motoko whispered.
 
"Probably," Cole answered, "there's more than one group in the city that'd like to see the Sisterhood taken off the maps."
 
"And we'll beat them back just like always," Milly said coldly. She raised an eyebrow at Jack, "What kind of resources has Rose got?"
 
"She sent a flier into my office and had a commando team ready to move in after," Jack said simply, "though I think taking Motoko was a bonus. She still hates that I got away from her way back when, offing me would be a pleasure."
 
"Lady sure knows how to nurse a grudge," she nodded to a guard waiting beside the stairs. As they climbed Milly said, "Everyone goes armed in here, so I'll issue your friends short swords."
 
"What about Jack?" Cole asked.
 
Milly barked a laugh, "Trust me, Jack doesn't need it."
 
As they exited onto the fourth floor Jack asked, "So who's running the Sisterhood now?"
 
"Bette," Milly said promptly as they walked by various armed young women, "you remember her, right Jack?"
 
"If you mean Becky Slay, yeah," Jack said with a grin, "was that a test?"
 
"We had a shapeshifter try to get in last year, he nearly did damage before we caught him," Milly grinned, "seems better to check." She used a key to open a metal case attached to the wall and drew out two swords and sheathes, "Here you go."
 
Motoko bucked the sword in place then drew, swinging it smoothly. At their questioning looks she shrugged, "I've done some kendo."
 
Cole was a bit more awkward with her blade then the catgirl sheathed it with disgust. "I think I'll stick with my claws," the black furred catgirl admitted.
 
"We'll stick you in a inner room," Milly said, "and I'm sorry to say there's only two beds. I assume you're all staying together, Jack?"
 
"I'm not leaving Motoko and I don't trust Cole alone," Jack answered dryly.
 
"You wound me," Cole battered her eyes innocently.
 
Milly gave Cole a long, dangerous look. "You know," she finally said mildly, "I'm tempted to bring you back to my rooms and cure that attitude of yours for good." As Cole paled beneath her fur she continued, "But I think Jack'd object."
 
"That and I think Bannon wouldn't be happy getting her back with strips taken out of her hide," Jack added. She paused as they reached the door of the room they'd been assigned and said softly, "Thanks, Milly."
 
"Just fulfilling our charter," Milly waved it off as she left, "besides, we owe you."
 
The three went inside the small but comfortable room, all of them breathing a sigh of relief. "Did Milly really mean that?" Motoko asked, looking over at Cole nervously as she sat down on the side of a bed.
 
"Milly is not terribly vanilla in her sexuality," Jack said a bit uncomfortably, "and she likes to keep submisives as slaves." With a grim smile she said, "If she really wanted to break someone, she probably could."
 
Cole shivered visibly as she sat on the other bed, "You can not be serious."
 
"Oh yes I am," Jack gave her a warning look, "and keep in mind that just because they're giving us sanctuary it doesn't mean you're safe from Milly. Mouth off badly enough or do something to convince her you're a threat and you could be a permanent resident in her dungeon."
 
"Remind me to stay in our room like a nice, quiet little kitty cat," Cole gulped.
 
"Why do I wonder," Motoko asked mildly, "if you've made us jump out of the frying pan and into the fire?"
 
"The Sisterhood have some basic rules," Jack explained, "help protect the Tower if it's attacked, don't take anyone's girlfriend without permission and practice basic politeness. You do that and you'll be fine."
 
"Girlfriends," Cole echoed, "you mean they're all lesbians here?"
 
"Pretty much," Jack agreed from where she stood by Motoko, "or at least bisexual. No men allowed inside, remember?"
 
"Do you think Rose will try something?" Motoko changed the subject.
 
"I almost hope she would," Jack grinned, "but she's not that suicidal." She frowned, "I just wonder what the hell Davidson is doing?"
 
To be continued....