Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tested in Fire: New Humanity Part Sixteen
 
An explosion lit up the night, men bolting from the west side building only to be confronted by a angry and well armed force. With utter ruthlessness they fell onto the badly shaken men, clubs and metal pipes making short work of their enemies. Finally a figure who was lit up by the glow of the fire called, "Enough."
 
He stiffly leaned on a wooden cane, round glasses gleaming on the end of his nose as he strode towards a fallen enemy, his clothes all crisp and neat. His hair was white and thinning out, face still oddly unlined despite his appearance of advanced age, but there was strength in his body and the set of his shoulders.
 
"Here, Mr. Davidson," Ryo said, the black haired Asian boy yanking the shaken man to his feet, supporting him a bit.
 
Davidson nodded slightly as he said, "Thank you." Meeting the eyes of the battered captive he said in much harder tones, "I know you were part of the group that harassed Motoko, what I want to know is why?"
 
"Go to hell," the brown haired young man managed to hiss, spitting out at Davidson.
 
With a smooth motion Davidson dodged, then stepped close to hammer the boy across the face, drawing blood. "I am not a patient man," Davidson said coldly, "I can just kill you and ask another. Ryo?"
 
"Sir," from his back pocket Ryo drew out a switchblade, the weapon popping free with a hiss as he pressed a hidden switch. He brought the blade to to the boy's bare throat, pressing slightly on the flesh, then a bit harder...
 
"Wait," their captive blurted, voice squeaking a bit in strain. "It was Rose from the Davie Street enclave," he said weakly, "she paid us!"
 
Davidson studied the boy for a moment as he mused aloud, "The Wolf would never try something this foolish."
 
Gulping breathlessly he said, "I think she paid us out o' her private funds, I swear." He was nearly hyperventilating, "You gotta believe me!"
 
Davidson nodded slightly, knowing that someone that terrified was incapable of lying. Quietly he said to Ryo, "Do what you want with him." As Davidson turned away he heard the first of many blows land, their captive crying out in pain.
 
"Sir," San ran up to Davidson, his long black hair tied back in a pony tail, "we've got the rest of the goons contained. What do you want to do with them?"
 
"Once we've beaten them up a bit haul them to the edge of the Shogun's territory," Davidson said coldly, "then tell them not to come back."
 
"Fits," San smiled, passing the order on to Ryo and the others. He looked at Davidson respectfully, "Sir, should we tell the Shogun what we've discovered?"
 
"No, not unless we want to create problems for him," Davidson said firmly. "I'd best contact Jack Scott with this information..."
 
"Then let's find a phone, sir," San said as he fell into step beside the older man warily watching their surroundings like a good bodyguard.
 
At the edge of the Shogun's territory it took a bit of time to find a shopkeeper who would let them in to borrow a phone that late at night, but in moments Davidson was dialing. "Hmm," he frowned after a moment, putting the phone down, "no answer at Scott's office."
 
"Would she go to ground there or...?" San asked.
 
"I think we'd best check," Davidson sighed.
 
The two men caught a bicycle drawn cab and they went to Granvile Street then down to Hastings, carefully skirting the Sisterhood's headquarters and going east to the Woodwards building. Paying the driver Davidson and San headed to the building only to see a broken door hanging off it's hinges, signs of a battle inside.
 
"Hold it you sonso'bitches!" the voice growled, the man behind the front desk holding a shotgun at the ready.
 
"Mike, that you?" Davidson asked, peering at the dimly lit figure.
 
"Damn, I was hoping that bitch came back," Mike put his gun up with a scowl. "You here about Jack's guest?"
 
"Which bitch?" San asked.
 
"What do you mean, Jack's guest?" Davidson said at much the same time.
 
"Rose from the Denman street enclave and a army of goons," Mike sat down with a painful wince. Rubbing at his bandaged head he said, "I'm assuming she was after whoever Jack had with her when she bolted."
 
"Well, than confirms it from two sources," San muttered grimly.
 
Ignoring that for now Davidson looked at Mike and said, "We're going upstairs."
 
"Go on," Mike nodded, wincing in pain, "I'll be here."
 
San kept a eye on Davidson as they hurried upstairs, glad to see the man's limp wasn't hurting him too bad. They exited the stairwell then out on to the floor, looking around warily. "There's signs of people passing recently," San noted, "they probably also took the stairs up."
 
"Fits," Davidson murmured as he retraced his steps to Jack's office, wincing as he noted the broken glass in the door. Inside the office was a wreck, file cabinet opened and papers scattered around the floor. The stuff on the desk was scattered all over the room, a nice lamp fallen in broken pieces on the floor.
 
"Unprofessional," San scowled, "they didn't need to do any of this."
 
"Still, it's good news," Davidson coolly noted the broken in window, the clothes in the other room tossed about too.
 
"Eh?" San blinked.
 
Davidson smiled grimly, "They wouldn't have wrecked the place if they had managed to catch up with Jack or Motoko."
 
With a dubious look San picked up a robe, the shimmering fabric now dirty and smudged. "Ms. Scott is going to be pissed when she sees this," he put it down carefully.
 
"That's an understatement," Davidson said as he lead San back downstairs. Walking into the entryway he saw Mike holding an icepack to his head. Fighting back his sympathy he asked, ”Do you have any idea where Jack would take off to?"
 
Mike winced slightly as he pressed the ice to a cut, "I'm not sure. She could head up to the Victoria, maybe."
 
"It's not secure," San noted, "and her enemies would go there next."
 
"And she can't go to the Shogun," Davidson cut that suggestion off, "for political reasons."
 
"Cause then the Shogun'd have to officially admit that Rose was leading Denman St. troops into his territory and act against Wolf," Mike guessed, "this way he can pretend not to know."
 
"Yes," Davidson acknowledged.
 
"Then I'd guess she'd go to the Sisterhood," Mike shrugged.
 
"Those nutcases?" San blurted.
 
Davidson held up a hand to hush his guard as he looked at Mike, "Why do you think so?"
 
"The Sisterhood's charter demands they take in women in trouble," Mike said patiently, "besides, the rumors say they owe Jack a favor from when Bannon tried to take them out."
 
"I've heard that too," San admitted reluctantly. He shook his head, "I heard they cut off a guy's... well, you know, when he tried to break in."
 
"We certainly aren't going in there," Davidson reassured his companion wryly.
 
"You couldn't pay me enough," Mike agreed glumly. A slight smile, "An' they distrust Rose cause of her attempt to double cross them a few months back."
 
"So, what do we do now?' San asked.
 
Davidson smiled coldly, "We turn our attention to finding Rose and her allies and teaching her a little lesson."
 
To be continued...