Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Greatest Curse of All ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Greatest Curse of All
Just something I whipped up. An insight into the thoughts of a vampire.
 
 
 
 
How dearly I would love to die. How many years have I walked this earth, how many lifetimes have I lived?
No, not lived; surely an existence as pathetic as mine cannot qualify as life. I look back and wonder how many innocent lives I took, and if the crimson stains on my hands will ever wash off.
Mortals wish for immortality because they fear death, but little do they realize how lucky they are for having it. How many times have I pulled the trigger, in the hopes that that pain between my eyes will be my last?
How many times have I awoken the next day, unharmed and perfectly fine, besides not being dead?
How many lovers have I taken, only to watch them wither and fade, like a rose in winter?
Death, the fairest and most just mistress of all, has betrayed me. Every life force on this planet, no matter how great or small, succumbs to the sweet embrace of Death. She spares nobody, taking all under her wing. Friends, lovers, allies, enemies, all have left me, flocking to her, and taunting me with their pale, lifeless lips.
But she has forgotten me. Surely, she sits upon my shoulder, mocking me, and her mark lies upon me, but I am damned never to feel her poisonous kiss upon my lips.
How many nights have I prayed for her to visit me? And how many mornings have I found that, once again, my prayers have gone unanswered?
I have lost faith in everything around me. I know now that there is no such thing as a kind and loving god. What such being could possibly want to create a monstrosity like me?
The taste of human blood lingers on my lips. I hate it with a passion, yet it tastes to me of the sweetest wine. Every time I feel the liquid burning in my throat, I am reminded that one need not be dead before they go to Hell.
Yes, I believe in Hell, even though I do not believe in Heaven. I believe that Lucifer is very real, and that he torments me every moment of my existence. But there is no god, there is no `guardian angel' watching over me, for if such a thing were so kind and merciful as advertised, I would not be cursed as I am now.
How dearly I would love to die. How long has it been since I have felt the warmth of the sun upon my flesh? I feel neither pleasure nor pain any more.
How old am I? I know that at least a thousand years have come to pass since this curse has come down upon me, yet it all seems like just yesterday.
How dearly I would love to die. Alas, but I cannot, for I am a vampire, and I bear the greatest curse of all.