Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Rise and Fall of Men ❯ Prolouge ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue
 
In years long past an isolated kingdom was under oppression. The kingdom was ruled by a corrupt empire. Hidden from the emperor's eyes a rebellion formed. By the time the rebellion first attacked they had over 500 men in battle and more still at camp training. The biggest battle occurred only a year after the rebellion had begun.
 
Dante awoke the day after the battle. The leader of the resistance had been killed in the battle, dividing the rebellion in half. Dante sat up and got dressed, grabbing his wooden branch; the empire wouldn't allow any real weapons, they couldn't even get any metal to make them. The resistance managed to obtain two swords: one was taken from one of the few armed guards, the other was owned by a man named Damien Inferno. Damien had joined the resistance with the sword already in his possession and no one was able to figure out how. Only the Officers of the imperial army had real swords, the rest had batons and wooden swords.
 
Today the resistance would have the two most worthy members fight for the right to lead them; there was no doubt in anyone's mind who those two men would be. Dante left his tent and waded through the crowd, half calling his name, the other half called “Damien” Dante waited and talked to his supporters until the horn was blown, signaling the beginning of the deciding.
Dante stood in the center of the circle and faced his opponent. Damien was wearing a plain grey tunic and had very silver hair. Despite his hair color, which he said happened when he was tortured; he appeared to be 34 years old. In his hand he held a long branch that split off in a “Y” that he used to catch his opponent's sword with. The fight began. After 15 minutes Dante found his weapon caught in that “V” in Damien's branch. Damien ripped the branch out of his hand and turned to face the adoring crowd. The entire camp cheered his name
Dante got up the leave. He turned back to see Damien standing in black armor, holding his 6 foot long sword. On his back he had two large black wings. He heard a frightening demonic voice say to him “Dear Dante You could not win. You can not lead this army. I have seen the rise and fall of mankind, only I can lead this army of armies. You will follow us into oblivion” Dante sat bolt upright in his bed, a puddle of sweat below him… it was a dream… no more…