Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Seed ❯ That House ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Seed
 
Anyone who dare make a drive up the dead end must remember the lone house that stood in isolation. The ancient Victorian loomed over the frail plants and trees, standing right on the curve of the dead end. The once bright purple hues were now faded in some places. Dusty curtains concealed whatever was hiding inside the abandoned house. The vines that coiled on the sides of the house were withered too, adding an even more dreadful look. The sunflowers that once grew were all gone now, except for one. Like any other sunflower, it would turn to follow the path of the sun each day. It would still be standing in the winter, and still look healthy when summer came around again. Locals called the place haunted and steered away from the street with no name.
The house seemed to have some sort of alluring magic, making people want to investigate the house up close. From a distance, the haunted house could be mistaken for any old cottage in the middle of nowhere. Someone would get attracted to his or her imaginary view and lurch closer to the magic. When eyes would finally adjust to the new appearance, they were left following their tracks to get away from the sinister house. Construction workers refused to even go to the town to knock down the house, afraid something supernatural would happen if they did. But some people were intrigued by the idea of haunted houses, no matter how many others ran away from the sight.
One of those people happened to be an ordinary businessman by the name of Alistair Stephens, a well-known local in the town with a peculiar taste for mystery. Alistair was just as normal as any other person, except for his extra sense to pursue an unsolved puzzle. He was said to take on the dare of revealing what was going on inside the haunted house. At first, the townspeople thought it was a bluff that he was just another one of those cowards who claimed he was brave enough to go in. But Alistair wasn't the type to back away from a challenge, especially when it involved another one of his exciting mysteries to take care of.
A majority of the townspeople stood in shock at the edge of the dead end, staring at the back of Alistair, who was standing right in front of the Victorian house. He stood there bravely, grinning impishly in his usual business suit. In truth, Alistair had no idea how to deal with this supernatural force, or how to even contact the supposed phantom that lived inside. He was actually standing there to ponder the situation and how to approach the house. The audience behind him murmured quietly in doubt. They were itching to run away, afraid of something going wrong and the evil force would bring out its wrath of evil. But the curiosity of what would happen next glued them to the pavement.
Alistair took a deep breath and stiffened his shoulders. He took a step forward and cautiously walked up the noisy staircase. His hand grabbed the doorknob and turned, taking it off in the process. He tossed it aside and pulled the door open, hearing the creak in the hinges. The businessman walked inside the dark house, having to feel around so he wouldn't bump into anything. His audience watched his back fade into the house. The door suddenly snapped closed, and the knob twisted back into place. They all gasped in horror, and each of their faces had the same conclusion: Alistair Stephens was a goner.
He stumbled around blindly until his eyes adjusted to the darkness. The curtains had shown some light through, so he could see the dim inside of the house. So far, there was no sign of the phantom he was searching for. His shoes scuffled along noisily as he checked each room, not hearing a sound. He gave up his search on this floor, assuming the ghost had to be upstairs or nowhere at all. Alistair held onto the railing at he walked up the steps, feeling the thick layers of dust matted onto it. He reached his foot out, expecting to feel the floor, but he was kicking thin air. He tugged on a curtain to let in more light so he could see.
The light shone in, giving Alistair a better view. He would've ended up falling through the hole in the staircase, back to where he started. Alistair heard a strain on the staircase and felt it rock down an inch. He jumped in time to grab onto the other half of the steps, watching the bottom half crash to the ground. He swung himself upright and ran up the rest of the steps. Whatever the ghost wanted with this house, it definitely didn't want any visitors. He walked even more cautious than before, checking each step for more holes. His hands stroked the walls, feeling for any more doors.
Alistair spotted another window and pulled the curtains open. The window nailed shut with wood, only letting very little light seep through. He swung his fist back and connected it with the wood. His fist left a hole, allowing him to break off the rest of the pieces and toss them out the window. He ducked his head out the window and could see the crowd that waited for his return. Just as he was about to call out to them, a force grabbed onto his shirt and tossed his back. He pulled himself up in shock to see the wood and nails put back in the same place, curtains closed. He turned to see a ghostly figure.
It was a phantom of a small girl, wearing clothes that made her look like a porcelain doll. She levitated above the floor, looking slightly see through. Alistair stared at her in shock, seeing his real ghost for the first time. The girl said nothing, her face expressionless. She floated a few feet closer, causing him to back away. He took a deep breath to stop himself from the panic that was starting to rise in his head. He shut his eyes tightly and pondered over what to do next. He had never encountered a ghost before, but he couldn't back away now. He slowly opened eyes again to look into the pure whites of the girl's eyes.
Alistair flinched in surprise but kept his ground. He was Alistair Stephens, the man who wouldn't back down a challenge no matter what. There was no way he'd just leave now after meeting a real live ghost. He honestly thought there was no escape anyway, now that she caught him. Now he was really confused, wondering what the next step was in the mystery. He absently wondered if the girl would just kill him now. The girl didn't speak a word. She just stared at him. At least, he thought she was staring. All he could see were the whites of her eyes, but he was sure she knew he was there. Her palm made contact with his forehead, forcing images in his head.
It was like seeing through a fuzzy black and white television. He saw flashes of the house looking in better shape than now, but it still had an olden look. The sunflowers in the front of the house were all standing tall and healthy. Another flash was the girl standing in front of the little garden, smiling like she had no cares in the world. Suddenly, a man appeared in the pictures, cutting down the flowers with an axe. The flashed looked like a movie now, showing the girl running in front of the last remaining sunflower. The stranger took another swing, this time hitting the girl. Her parents, he assumed, ran out of the house and attacked the stranger.
The girl's ice-cold touch disappeared from his forehead. He blinked a few times until his eyes refocused on the present. Alistair spun around, looking for the girl that had now vanished. He looked down at his hand, realizing his hand was clenched around something.
His fingers slowly opened, revealing two sunflower seeds.
Alistair walked out of the house in a daze. The staircase he almost fell through before had just magically been put back. He closed the door behind him quietly, the townspeople squinting to see his face. They watched in confusion as he dug a small hole where the withered flowers were. He dropped something in it none of them could recognize, and tucked the soil back over it.
He turned and saw the ghost of a girl, standing there smiling like she was in the flashes he saw. The wind blew, and she disappeared along with it. His audience watched with further confusion, wondering just what he was staring at. Alistair put on his impish grin again, victory coloring his features.
 
 
THIS IS MINE PLEASE DO NOT STEAL THIS. I WROTE THIS MYSELF AND IT IS VERY MUCH ORIGINAL!!! I SWEAR IF I FIND THIS STORY ANYWHERE ELSE THAT'S NOT UNDER MY NAME, OR GIVING ME CREDIT, YOU WILL BE SUED!!!!!!!
SmilezPeepz ©