Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Theft ❯ Michelle Mathews ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Four parts. First Michelle, then police on scene, informed reporter, then thieves.

Michelle Mathews was a young, healthy, smart junior college student at UW Madison in Madison, Wisconsin. She was outgoing and was often out with friends as she had grown accustomed to during her first years in college. That night, she had been asked on numerous occasions to go out with those friends, but was very much unable. She had a final in a bare three days, and Michelle couldn’t take the time to do anything other than study. The things she was to be tested on had utterly stumped Michelle, and the young woman felt she had no choice but to stay home and study until the sun came up. As it was, Michelle felt she had a new understanding of some of the things within the textbook she was studying.

So she now took a break that she felt was well deserved. Walking around the apartment she roomed with a friend in, she was busy making a turkey sandwich when the television she had turned on for background noise cut to sudden important news. She shrugged it off at first. It was what she got for leaving it on CNN. But as she continued to put mayo on the white bread on the table before her, the voice from the TV was slowly becoming more and more interesting. Only a few minutes later, Michelle slapped a few turkey slices on the bread and quickly mashed them together and rushed to sit in front of the screen. She brushed a couple strawberry blonde bangs from her face and looked to the woman journalist on screen.

“I’m only a few feet away from the gates of a large museum in Madrid where a break-in has just occurred. It appears the thief, or thieves, have been within the museum for sometime now, and the local police believe had it not been for a new security system installed only hours before the museum closed, not a soul would have known of the break in until tomorrow morning. Now no one is sure what they have broken in for, but many speculate they have come for the statue which made it’s debut here a few weeks ago.” Michelle smiled. Now this was some interesting news. Much better then the news her English professor had been telling them. She settled in, ignoring the textbook that fell into her lap and munched on her sandwich. The woman, the text below her image announced her to be Sherry Newson, continued to talk about the museum and the supposed target of the thieves. Michelle smiled as Ms. Sherry Newson continued to claim that it was most definitely was more than one person after the statue. By what she was hearing, it didn’t sound to be anything amazing, just new. It didn’t even seem to be worth much by all that Michelle could tell. Why would any thief worth their salt go after a worthless statue in a well guarded museum such as the one in Madrid?

Michelle began to ignore the journalist even more. The somewhat blurry scenery behind the woman and fence was plenty more interesting. It was dark in Madrid, the time zone coming into effect, and the lights from the security in the museum and police flashed to give an interesting light to area. It all played an enormous effect to the scene and kept Michelle glued to the television set though little happened for awhile. But suddenly, there was movement. And lots of it. Michelle watched the camera man begin focusing on the scene behind her and not the journalist in front. Three figures moved. There had been more than one thief inside. The three moved with much efficiency, by what the strawberry blonde could see. The camera man was not in the best place to tape the action happening. Suddenly a large searchlight flooded the area. It did not catch completely the thieves as they ran but it became clearer to Michelle that this was by no means their first heist. They worked as though they could easily predict the moves of the other. And maybe they could, as they moved as one in the eyes of the amazed college girl.

But then something happened. The movements of the graceful thieves changed, and they began to move erratically. Something had happened, but this camera was not close enough to know what. Michelle was too enthralled with what she saw to care at that moment, as suddenly more police filled the area. The thieves had walked into a trap was all she could guess. More erratic movement this time on part of the police. Michelle was so engrossed that she didn’t see her roommate come inside. Didn’t even hear the other woman announce her presence. Michelle groaned as the camera jumped back to Sherry Newson.

“The thieves have made their escape. And the whole area within a four block radius of the museum has been flooded with Interpol police. With the area flooded with light, it is hard to imagine how they escaped without much difficulty. The statue, though amazing, has been left untouched and nothing more then a single, empty vodka bottle has been found inside so far.” Michelle was entranced and watched every last bit of footage of the theft that she could find. Michelle Mathews did little studying that night and had a hard time focusing on the textbook the next two nights as well. She passed the test, but written in the corner of that sheet of paper were the words that would fuel her passions for the next few years to come.

Who are they, what did they go after, and where are they now?