Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tides of Wine ❯ Amelia ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lysanthy
~Amelia~
 
I hate Mondays.
Mondays, in my opinion, should not exist. Nothing ever goes right on a day like today. I woke up dripping sweat in an alleyway. I was all by myself and wrapped disgustingly in my drenched red hair. I sat up and had to straighten the sheet I was wrapped in to maintain my dignity.
My life had officially went diving in the drains about a year ago, two years after I ran away from home. I was fifteen when my parents finally told me about the engagement. I had a thing then for the Duke of Farey. Easy to say, I was not pleased by their sudden announcement. They told me that I could court all I wanted, but I had to keep my innocence for my future husband. They said that when I turned eighteen, he would come for me.
I was never one to keep my anger a secret, but I just nodded and smiled and cunningly slipped out of the house that night. They never caught me, but they tried.
For the first year, I made my way across the country. I met some elves on the coast. They took me in for a while. I stayed with them, thinking that they were just friendly performers. I had a bad relationship with an elf called Twilight, though, and they kicked me out of their group.
Evil little snots.
The year after that, I worked for a guy named Pachi, selling prunes. Oh yeah, fun job but also the biggest gossip hole in the universe. Thanks to that job, I now know what a Vildra and a Naga is. I think I met a Vildra, but her name was Keet, and she had shifty eyes. She bought prunes every week.
Ew.
I quit that job when Pachi stopped paying me to work. Needless to say, he left that interaction with a broken limb and a black eye.
That led to this year. I live on the streets and steal to eat, but I'm sad to ask who doesn't anymore. I'm actually thinking about joining the Miderian Gypsies, but my biggest concern today would be getting breakfast.
I pulled myself to my feet and headed for the markets.
 
Well, I got there, but it was an hour past noon and the streets were full of people. I didn't have the strength to sneak through them and snatch something. I fell against a brick wall and slid to the ground. After about an hour, someone noticed me. I waited, expecting them to shoo me away, but he had other ideas.
I glimpsed black boots poking out of the bottom of an odd green cloak before he sat down beside me and sighed. "Hello." He said, passively.
"Hello." I mimicked. Truth be told I was rather stunned by the fluidity of his voice. It was whispy and yet strong. It sounded like a flowing stream on a full moon. The words eerily fickle came to my mind, and I shyed away from him.
"I really hate to bother you-" He started.
"Then don't." I snapped. "I have enough to deal with now."
"Really? To me you look brilliantly bored." He chuckled. "Reminds me of someone I know. I do not like him much."
Was that supposed to be a threat? And how could one put the words "brilliantly bored" into the same sentence and withold sanity. I wasn't sure. "Go away."
He sighed. "Listen." I found myself unable to resist. "We are in a similar predicament, it seems. I am in need of a guide, someone I can trust, and you..." He trailed off to gaze at me for a minute. I shivered. His green eyes were unnerving. "You need support."
"Hardly sounds like a 'similar predicament' to me." I retorted.
He suddenly seemed very annoyed by me. "Look. I have not got time for this. My family exiled me, and I do not know the land. There is something that I have to do, but I do not know what it is. I need help, and, " he turned to me, "I'm asking you. In return, I will pay your way, and if you stick with me long enough, I might be able to do something more for you. I am as good as offering you my life."
I frowned at him. He was acting like this was something really important. "Why me? Why not someone else? It's hard to trust people these days. I didn't even trust my own mother and father." And look where that got me. I crossed my arms.
"Such an optimist." He retorted. I looked up to scowl at him and froze. God, he was beautiful. His hair was the longer that I had ever seen. His eyes were piercing but dazzling. I could only wonder at the muscles he sported under that cloak.
"Who are you?" I finally said. "You're too well dressed to be poor. I have a hard time believing that you're a thief either."
"Why?" He implored. "A thief would not show off his work?"
I frowned. "No. He wouldn't, and you're too formal. You speak like a snob would."
"Snob?" He lurched to his feet, nearly knocking me sideways. His eyes lit up as he glared at me. "Do not insult me, girl. I am not a 'snob' as you so bluntly put it."
"What can I say? I'm honest. I don't hesitate to speak my mind." I stood up as well and shoved him back. He stumbled and caught himself, looking thoroughly outraged. "And I don't like people pushing me around." I added for sport.
I turned and stomped away, rags fluttering in the wind. I would have never done that, had I known who I was pushing. However, it was far too late to turn back.