Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tides of Wine ❯ Elliott ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lysanthy
~Elliott~
 
I simply could not believe this girl. She was absolutely insufferable. Here I was, after wandering around for weeks in mother knows where, and I was being all nice about it too. All I did was ask her for help, and then she up and pushed me away, literally!
Practically snarling, I followed her. I do not think she knew that I was. After about an hour, I discovered how silly she was. She was a clever girl. I would say that much of her. She lied to the merchants to give her food. She pick pocketed from the nobles. Her only flaw was that she was entirely unaware of her surroundings.
Shifty eyed men watched her as she pranced about the streets in that revealing bit of a sheet. A thief or two eyed her curiously, wondering what she had to offer. I followed her. Of course, I was not being very discreet about it. I could be as stealthy as a thief, better than the best.
I never made a sound, and no one ever saw me trailing the girl. It annoyed me, why I did not know, when she slipped into a filthy alley and plopped down by a garbage can that reeked of something dead. She sighed as I looked on, curiousity enticed. I frowned when she began trying to shake the dirt and grime from her hair.
It looked to be red, but there was so much filth in it that it could have been brown. I hated to admit it, but I was absolutely fascinated by her. She was so....odd would be the only word close enough to the truth. I thought that with a little cleaning up she could look quite nice.
Her eyes were enough to convince me of that. They were two deep pools of shining sapphire. They flared to life when she was angry, as I myself had witnessed. When she was calm, they were cool and dark. They suited her so perfectly. They were deep and vast, making up for her small fragile form.
She was thin, too much so, I admitted. She did not boast a wild and willowy form of a beautiful woman. No. She was a whole foot shorter than me, untainted, and pure.
I found myself grinning as I "accidentally" slipped and made the slightest bit of noise. As I had guessed, her head snapped in my direction, and she glared. "Come out from there! I hear you!"
I came out, and she did not even look surprised to see me. "How did you know?" I asked, sarcastically.
She rolled her eyes as I plopped down beside her. "I thought I was doing so well."
She mumbled something under her breath. "Why are you following me?" She eventually had the nerve to ask. "What are you, some kind of pervert, rapist, murderer?"
I tried to look hurt. It was working. "I did not mean anything by it." I told her, sighing and running a clawed hand through my hair. She frowned and snatched at it, nearly pulling me into her lap.
"Your nails are silver!" She exclaimed. "And they're so long!"
I grinned, flashing my fangs in the dark. "I know." I told her.
She blushed and bit down on her lip, letting go of my hand. I was a little sorry for the loss of contact. "Who are you?" She asked, letting the first notes of fear slip into her voice.
"Depends. Who are you?" I turned and let my eyes meet hers. We both shivered at the same time.
She snatched her gaze from mine and replied, "Amelia."
"That's all? Just Amelia?"
She made a noise scarily similar to a growl. "Yes."
"Well, I am Elliott. Just Elliott, then." I let myself relax against the wall. We sat in silence for about five minutes before she finally spoke again. What she said surprised me. "I'm sorry for calling you a snob."
"Really?" I gaped at her, unbelieving.
She glared. "You don't believe me?"
I crossed my arms and stuck my nose in the air. "It sounded an awful lot like you meant it."
"I did mean it." She huffed. "I was just trying to be nice to you." She then crinkled her nose up at me. "But I guess you didn't deserve it, snob."
I reached a hand out and tugged on her hair. She yelped. "Peasant." I uttered. "Poor little dirty street rat. Grimey-"
"STOP IT!" She snapped. "That's a horrible thing to say! Besides, I only said something to you because it was true."
"Well, it is not nice to call someone a snob, even if they are!"
"It's not nice to follow someone you don't know!" She pointed out, nearly yelling.
"It is definitely not nice to push someone you do not know!"
She gave me a look of pure outrage. I nearly shrunk back from her as she declared, "YOU PUSHED ME FIRST!"
"No I did not!" I glared at her, not able to believe what a liar she was.
"When you stood up you nearly knocked me over!" She was panting now. I had fallen in to shock. "Did I?" I glanced to her and to my feet. "Oops."
When she was silent, I looked up again to see what was wrong. She was staring at me with her mouth hanging open. Eventually, she snapped it shut and started to look guilty.
I hated to see her like that. For some reason, this girl that I had just met was affecting me in a way no one else had before. Not sure what to do, I gently leaned my head on her shoulder like a naughty pup would proceed to his Master's hand. "Sorry." I whispered, despising myself. What had gotten into me? I had not had an argument so foolish since...well never.
I was, after all, the heir to my father's throne. That was, Lysander and I were. I cringed at the thought and was suddenly determined to make up for my mistake.