Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ To Gaze Beyond Reality ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Soothing winds brushed across the plains, the tall blades of grass waving like a vast green ocean. Above me, tree branches and leaves rustled likewise. All the little creatures sang brilliantly in each of their individual styles, it was a natural symphony for my ears. I rolled over on to my back and gazed upwards; the sky was an unbelievably vibrant cerulean blue, dabbed with little white clouds here and there. No one could ever have asked for a better day than this.

A frown suddenly took place of the smile that had practically been painted onto my face for the past several hours. Idiots, I fumed to myself, If only they could sit here and appreciate all the things that I’m seeing and feeling But how do you stop advancement? Or keep their numbers from growing?

You can’t.

Once a few settlers came across a beautiful land and took root word would get out to the others and they’d add on, then all kinds of buildings shot up for entertainment and work. And over the years the numbers had grown and grown until a fifty-or-so person town became a hundreds-of-thousands populated city. Over the decades those scattered towns and cities had eventually grown into a vast metropolis and took over a majority of the Planet’s land. Beautiful, vibrant, and natural colors replaced with cold, gray, artificial ones.

Damn’em all.

Animals and plants were quickly wiped off the map; even the humans began to die off at an alarming rate. Pollution was the number one killer of humans in the denser parts of the city, the parts where the sky was forever drowned out by smog. If the pollution didn’t get to you the blistering heat did. Endless miles of steel and cement tended to get a little hot with much of the ozone gone. Oh yeah, how could I forget the polar ice caps? Maybe because they were gone before my time as well. The coastal cities were submerged years ago, hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, dead. And still the human population continued to climb. It was just a matter of time now before

A distinct buzzing sound broke my train of thought. I sat upright amongst the fields, like a deer suddenly aware of a predator in the distance (at least I think that’s how those extinct creatures acted all those years ago). The amazing landscape suddenly disappeared as I took off the VR goggles and laid them down on my desk. The delivery man at the door had brought more food and air sanitizers (the ones that supposedly smelled like rain-soaked prairies). I paid the man and closed the door. Looking out the window of my apartment I saw the disgusting cityscape with all its smog and unnatural color surrounding it. I work from my home computer so I don’t have to commute in that God-forsaken place.

I gazed back to my PC and VR unit. Why live in their world when mine is so much better?