Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Unseen Eyes ❯ Unseen Eyes ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Unseen Eyes
 
The room was quiet except for the faint lovely sounds of birds chirping outside. The sunlight was coming through the window beside the closet, on which hung a calendar of 2005. On the other side of the room, near the computer table was a bed in which slept Cane. It was Saturday morning and like every other 16 year old boy, Cane liked to sleep late on weekends. His sleep suddenly ruined, he woke up as the door to his room slammed open.
“Who is it?” He asked yawning innocently.
“It's me honey, why are you still in bed? We're about to leave for church.” Cane's mother waited for an answer.
“You guys go, and I'll be along in a second.” Cane replied after thinking it over and realizing there was no point in arguing since he was going to have to go, one way or another.
“Fine, the rest of us are leaving then, you better get there fast,” she replied with an annoyed sigh.
Cane's mom left with the rest of the family for church while Cane got ready. Ignoring the boiled eggs his mom had made for him, Cane ran for the door, not wanting to be late but accidentally slipped on his skateboard and fell down. Groaning, he opened his eyes, got up and left the house.
“WwhhaTt the?!?!,” Cane yelled awkwardly.
 
What Cane saw outside his house made him scared. There were lines of people walking toward the church but they walked weirdly as if their legs were very heavy. Suddenly one of them turned his way and Cane recognized this `thing' as one of his friends. It was his friend Johnny and he came right up to him.
“Cane is that you?” Johnny asked.
“Of-ofcourse it's me. What the hell is wrong with you and everyone else?”
“Stop joking around Cane, don't you know?”
“Know what?” Cane asked suspiciously.
“Oh, I get it. You must be new.”
“New to what!?” Cane asked angrily.
“Let me explain where we are Cane; this is hell!”
“What?” Cane asked confused.
“It means you died and you're in hell now, with the rest of us. There is no way out of here Cane. Believe me, I've tried and someone stopped me and beat me up.”
“Wait just a second,” Cane said after taking a few deep breaths. “What the heck are you talking about, I never died! And even if I did, I am a faithful Christian so I can't be here.”
Roaring with laughter Johnny replied, “Sorry Cane but you need to get this straight. There is only hell. Heaven does not exist and never did; you like the rest of us are now his slave.
“Whose slave?” Cane asked, fearful all of a sudden.
“The Devil's,” replied Johnny.
 
After the horrible news from his friend, Cane was so scared he didn't know what to do. He could either punch his friend and say he was wrong or he could accept the horrible truth. A few steps away from them, Cane saw some guy laughing and this bothered Cane because he couldn't possibly think of any reason why someone would be laughing in a place like this. Before he had the chance to even think clearly, there came a sound so horrible that Cane felt his own soul shiver. To Cane's surprise he was not the only one who looked scared, his friend was trembling and started to run just like everyone else. He ran after his friend and they hid behind something that looked like a trench and before Cane could ask his friend, “What the heck is going on” Johnny put a finger to his mouth and told him to be quiet. Before Cane could even think of saying another word, his tongue somehow got all twisted up in his mouth, as a large shadow soon covered them. The shadow was there but there was no one in front of them. Soon to his dismay he found out why, the thing that caused the shadow was flying over them. It was a creature of nightmares, eyes burning as if they were two miniature suns and a head large enough to swallow a man whole. Cane trying to put himself together noticed the bizarre laughing man again. Even now, as this creature was snatching men away from their feet, this man was laughing and didn't bother to run or hide anywhere! What confused Cane even more was the fact that the creature didn't bother to snatch up the laughing man as if he wasn't worth it. Then after what seemed like a long time, the creature left and Cane felt himself breathing again.
“I guess you know now why we were running,” chucking to himself Johnny said. “Good thing it didn't look here or we would be dead.”
“Just shut up! And tell me what that thing was and what it was doing here!” Cane yelled impatiently, not in the mood to laugh.
Johnny explained to Cane what that `thing' was there to do. Indeed, it was there to `collect'. It was one of the devil's followers and was there to gather sacrifices for the devil himself. The devil had some creatures, like the one they just saw who Johnny liked to call `the collectors'. Then, Johnny went on, “there are those who are just like us but they work for the devil and protect the gate to the other world.”
“What other world?” Cane asked.
Johnny replied, “Some say, back to where we came from, some say the other side is nothing but plain space where you drift until you die of hunger.”
“Fascinating thoughts,” Cane said dryly. “But let's get down to business. What are we supposed to do here?! I mean, from what we heard about hell was that you burn there forever and ever but this is nothing I was expecting.
Johnny replied calmly, “Oh, we do burn, have no worries; but that only happens if we get caught by the creature, or in my words, the collector. After we get caught, they take us to the devil who then as a sacrifice takes our hearts and then throws us in the fire for his own pleasure. So technically we are running all the time so we don't get caught but sooner or later we will. It's just a matter of time.
“So Johnny what do we do now?” Cane asked tired of all this. You seem to know everything so tell me. What do we do now? Oh and by the way, how long have you been here?”
“Three days,” replied Johnny. “You'll be surprised how long one day feels like in here though. You see, the devil takes pleasure in seeing us burn but he takes even more pleasure in seeing us weeping in fear and praying to God to save us. But God has no power in his domain here.”
“Wait a minute,” Cane asked all of a sudden. If God exists then why doesn't heaven exist? It doesn't make sense!”
Johnny answered, “That's something I've thought of a lot but I just can't come up with an answer. This thing is too complicated to understand but what I'm sure of is that we're going to burn badly if we don't do anything soon.”
Johnny explained to Cane that they needed to get to that gate which leaded to the other world and take the chance of what was on the other side. There wasn't a lot of food and the water was extremely hot and took forever to cool down. Johnny then explained how they couldn't fight their way through the gate without any weapons so they had to break into the keep from where the bull-like creatures came out with axes. There were bound to be some weapons in there.
Getting to the keep was not hard and did not take long but the outer walls of the keep were well guarded. The two friends soon came up with a diversion. Cane, since smaller and slower than Johnny was to stay hidden behind some rocks until Johnny got rid of the guards somehow. Johnny ran towards the guards and then ran in the opposite direction, pretending to act as if he had just caused some mischief. Then Cane ran in the keep, thinking it would be simple; he would get some sort of weapons and then run back out but it wasn't as simple as that. The inside was full of guards, not just the ones who had been standing outside but there were creatures of more than 50 kinds roaming around. It looked like some sort of meeting was going to take place and finally someone spoke through the crowd.
“The lord is going to be here any second, so shut up everyone!”
There was no effect from that order, the yelling actually got louder but then suddenly all the chattering stopped and nothing moved. It was so quiet; Cane could actually hear his own heartbeat. He felt very scared all of a sudden, sitting in that corner near the door. He moved slowly behind some large stone and waited. He could sense something big was about to happen. The door opened and Cane felt as if his whole being was about to just rot and whither. The air around the room changed and extreme heat came at him. In the door stood a very powerful looking creature. It had two thorns and it held a trident that looked like it was made from lava. The being was tall and ugly but it also had some beauty in it that Cane couldn't understand. Cane did not know who or what this creature was except that it was powerful. Then it finally spoke.
“Let the victim be brought forth.”
Two armoured guards wielding long and nasty looking spears brought the prisoner forth. The prisoner was the weird man who Cane had seen laughing before. What was even more awkward was the fact that the man was laughing even now.
The powerful looking being spoke as the prisoner was being brought in, “You laugh and insult me in my own domain, you mortal. Bow down before the ruler of hell!”
It was finally understood who this creature was then. Yes indeed, it was the devil himself.
To answer the devil, the prisoner said, “Do not threaten me, fallen one. You have no power over me so don't pretend as if you do. There are some here who do not rightfully belong to you.”
The devil answered, “Who are you to question me? Even if there are some who don't rightfully belong to me, what is it to you?”
The prisoner then replied, “I am but a mere servant of the light, who wishes to know why you have broken the pact.”
The devil spoke, “How would you know of the pact. Reveal yourself, you are no mere mortal.”
“In fact, I'm not. You're right, I am the chosen one.”
Then miraculously, the prisoner changed into what he really was. The wings appeared, the face changed and Cane looking up with a gasp, saw the most beautiful creature he had ever seen in his life. What he did not know was that before him stood one of the greatest angels, the great Gabriel himself.
The devil yelled angrily, “YOU!!”
The angel replied calmly, “You have broken the rules Lucifer and you know as well as I do that I'm speaking of the child named Cane. You did not give him the chance to prove he was good in heart and believe me, he is one of the blessed.
The devil said coldly, “If he is truly one of the “blessed”, as you call him then why should you worry. You know I have no power over those who do not fear me. Don't tell me what I already know. I broke no pact since this pitiful mortal is consumed in his own fear and forgot about God after arriving in my domain. Therefore I have all the right to proclaim him mine.”
“I do believe in God, you big lump of rot!” Cane yelled without thinking. “I never forgot God and I never will, trust me on that one.”
Everything went quiet as if the wind itself stopped blowing and the only thing Cane saw was a swing of a large arm and he flew back and broke some ribs in the process. It seemed he had insulted the devil. The angel himself was a bit shocked and tried to hold back a chuckle. The devil hearing the faint chuckle started the angel's way but was intercepted by pure energy of light the angel threw his way.
Angrily the devil said, “You cannot challenge me alone Gabriel, you are powerful but not enough to defeat me since I am pure evil.”
Ending the statement with a growl the devil attacked the angel with his hellish trident swinging it in a horizontal direction but the angel no less powerful had summoned a sword which seemed as if it was made of pure light. The weapons collided against each other and caused earthquakes for miles. Cane, kind of far from the battle because of the blow he had taken, saw that the angel was at a disadvantage with the devil being physically stronger. Cane then started forward towards the combatants. He knew he had to do something for the angel who had come to save his life. Mustering all the strength he could, he ran at the devil and punched him straight in the back but to his horror his hand did no more than annoy the devil and his hand seemed to burn like it had touched fire. The moment of distraction was all the angel needed though and he came forward, throwing the sword down and held the devils arms with unimaginable power with pure light flowing through his arms. The devil screamed a sound that made every creature run as far and as fast as it could.
“I have you now Lucifer, release him or you will feel the power of God.”
To Cane it seemed as if the devil would spit in his opponents face but was shocked to see his laugh instead.
“So you win this time angel, beware the next time for that will be your last.”
Saying that he waved his hand and everything slowly started disappearing. The last thing Cane saw and heard was the devil laughing and saying, “You will be mine sooner or later Cane, I promise you. You will be under my control because you will fall in my fear.”
 
He woke up next to the door and groaned. It looked like Cane had hit his head a bit too hard and had a big lump on his head to prove it. He rushed out of the house and was relieved to see everything normal and ran towards the church. Everyone was there and he entered and sat in the back. After getting out of church, he walked back home with his family, thinking of the incident with the devil as a dream but what he did not know was that not far from him on a nearby tree sat a cute little bird whose eyes were not normal because they were the red eyes of the devil.
 
 
The End
By: Faheem Qureshi