Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vacation Girl ❯ Volume One, Chapter Two: Start the Party ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Start the Party
Tuesday. Fumio woke up to a tiny arm across his chest. He glanced over to see Sui-Topii sound asleep next to him. Yesterday's events sprang to life in his memories. A frown came onto his face.
Oh yeah, he thought. Fumio stared at his sister. What am I going to do with you? His sister squirmed in her sleep. The freshman shook his head. Thanks mom and dad! He sat up and got ready for the morning.
The empty dorm made Fumio even gloomier. His roommates went home for the summer. He didn't leave. Why would he? Fumio didn't really have a home to go back.
He shook his head. I can't think about that, Fumio thought. He took a shower, get dressed, and poured himself some cereal. Another lonely summer morning.
But then, Fumio heard footsteps. Little ones to be certain. The freshman looked up as he ate. Sui-Topii stood in the hallway, rubbing her eyes. She still had on her pink Hello Kitty night shirt and little white shorts. The child's hair was still a mess as well. She even brought her little black teddy bear to the kitchen-dining room with her. Fumio doubted that his younger sister even had a bath after she got out of bed. He tried to brush that hunch aside in his mind for the time being. Her brother tried to make himself smile.
“Good morning,” he greeted her. The child blinked at him.
“Why weren't you in bed with me?” she asked.
“I have to work,” he told her.
“Why?”
“So I can eat and live here.”
His sister walked into the kitchen-dining room.
“You're leaving me today?” she whimpered.
“Aww,” he said. “Come and eat breakfast with me.” The little girl frowned at him.
“It's okay,” he said. Sui-Topii walked in and sat down in front of him. Fumio got up, got a small bowl and spoon, and poured her some cereal. The little girl watched him the whole. She did not look amused. Fumio gave her a sheepish smile as he headed her her breakfast and sat back down. The siblings ate in silence at first. The freshman tried to ignore the little accusatory eyes of hurt disappointment darting at him. He couldn't blame her, but this was just how their summer was going to be. Well, time to attempt to reason with the child. Fumio lowered his spoon and sighed again.
“Listen,' he broke down. “I have to make money to care for us both this summer. Otherwise, we won't have anywhere to live and you'll have to go home!”
“No!” Sui-Topii cried, shaking her head.
“Okay then,” her brother said. “I have to work.” Sui-Topii pouted. Fumio just patted her on the head.
“There, there,” he said. “I'll take you out on the city this afternoon and buy you some ice cream.” Her little eyes sparkled wide open.
“Really?” she asked. Fumio smiled as he nodded.
“Anything you want, Sui-chan,” he whispered.
“Yay!!!” the little girl cheered. Fumio signaled her to calm down with his hands.
“Easy now,” he said. “Finish your breakfast and get dressed, okay?” Sui-Topii cheerfully smiled at him.
“K, big brother!” she said. The little girl ate up her cereal. Fumio forced himself to keep smiling for his little sister.
Oh boy…
Yeah, oh boy was right.
Tuesday Morning