Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vacation Girl ❯ Volume Two, Chapter Eleven: Company ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Company

Wednesday Afternoon

Sui-Topii wasted no time racing to the yard. She ran around with her arms out like an airplane.

“Sui-Topii, slow down!” Fumio shouted.

“Wow, she share has so much energy,” Fergi said.

“Yep,” he said. Their grandmother sitting in the living room, smiling in the window. Suddenly, Fumio froze with a concerned look on his face.

“Something wrong?” Fergi asked.

“Shhh,” Fumio whispered, holding her back. He spotted a little face peeking out from the bushes.

“Hello?” the freshman boy asked. Sui-Topii stopped and looked up.

“Hiya!” she shouted, waving. The little face in the bushes pulled back. Sui-Topii raced with her hand extended.

“Come back!” she shouted.

“Sui-Topii, no!” Fumio shouted. He raced after his little sister just as she grabbed onto a dirty-looking hand. Fumio froze in his tracks when he spotted a lanky boy staring back at him.

“Uh… who are you?” he asked. The boy with the dirty face had big, blank eyes. He didn't appear to understand the question.

“What are you doing here?” Fergi asked. “Did you get lost or something?” The boy in his worn-looking clothes tried to step backwards as if to run away.

“Don't worry,” Fergi told him, reaching out her hand. “We're not going to hurt you.”

“Fergi, I don't think he understands us,” Fumio spoke up.

“Can he talk?” his crush asked. The boy's stomach growled in place of an answer. He hung his head, embarrassed.

“Aw, when was the last time you ate?” Fergi asked. As if on cue, the back door slid open. Everyone looked up to see grandma poking her head outside.

“Lunch is ready!” she announced. Fergi turned her attention back to the silent boy.

“Why don't you come and eat with us?” she asked. Fumio gave her an odd look.

“Fergi!” he yelped.

“Is that okay?” his crushed asked the grandmother. Fumio looked at her with big eyes. She can't be serious…

“Of course!” the old lady said in a chipper tone. Fumio and the boy looked at her wide-eyed.

“Yay!” Sui-Topii yelled, jumping up and down.

--------

Lunch felt out of place. The silent boy looked like he would run away at any moment. Fergi rested her hand on his.

“You'll be okay,” she whispered. The boy nodded.

“Do you think he can talk?” Fumio whispered.

“I don't know,” she replied.

“What's your name?” Sui-Topii asked the other child. His lips moved as if mumbling something.

“Hm?” Sui-Topii asked. The boy drew his mouth closed.

“Can you understand Japanese?” Fumio asked. “Nod if you can.” The boy gave him one nod.

“Good,” Fergi said. “What is your name?” The boy said nothing.

“Can you talk?” the grandmother asked. Their gust shook his head.

“Do you live in this neighborhood?” she asked. He shook his head.

“Do you live anywhere in town?” the grandmother asked. He shook his head again.

“Do you have a home?” Fumio asked. The boy lowered his head.

“I'm sorry for that!” the freshman yelped. His grandmother put more food on his plate.

“You look so skinny,” she said. “Here, eat! Eat!” The silent boy gave her a confused look as she loaded his plate.

“Can I have more?” Sui-Topii asked.

“Of course,” grandma replied. Fumio frowned at a touching scene.

“He's homeless!” he whispered.

“Seems that way,” Fergi whispered back.

“Is this okay?”

“I don't see why not.”

“But, he's homeless.”

“So?”

Fumio clenched his teeth. “She can't expect him to stay here, does she?”

“Who can say?” The freshmen happed to notice the old lady glaring at them.

“He'll stay with me if he has to!” she snapped. “Because I can't turn away a child in need!”

“But--!” her grandson argued.

“No buts! You've got to be ready to do the right thing! Do you understand?”

Fumio lowered his head. “Yes.”

His grandmother put her hands on her hips. “Good. Anything else?”

“Could I have more rice?” he asked.

“Yes you may,” she replied. Fumio handed over his plate feeling so little. Why did I do that? Damn it!

Wednesday