Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vignette Collection ❯ Subconscious ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This was a project for my college English class. I really enjoyed writing it and I like the imagery. This is the first installment of my Vignette collection.
 
So I hope you like it! ^-^
 
~<3~ Loves Odoriko
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Subconscious
 
He's here.
 
That was the only thought that filled her subconscious. The feeling of warmth in the cold darkness, pulling on her sense of gravity.
 
He's coming for me. The ripples in the darkness began slowly then larger as the swiftness of the water increased.
 
She reaches out her hand as a shadow below her, in the darker depths, comes closer. She strains to make the shadow clear before her eyes.
 
She tries to swim down towards the shadow, but is pulled back up.
 
The more she tries to swim down the further up she's pulled. She turns her head toward the light filtering through the darker layers of her consciousness.
 
She continues to be pulled up and closes her eyes as her head breaks the surface. She opened her eyes and took a gasping breath of air.
 
Jen sat up in her bed and opened her eyes abruptly. The sound of phones ringing, people walking, and the beeping of machinery was the first thing her mind registered.
 
She moved a hand to her chest to calm down her racing heart. Her eyes scanned the small room and window showing the clear sky outside.
 
They came to rest on the pale white bracelet on her right wrist.
 
Jen's eyebrows came together as she lifted her arm to read the writing on the band - Name: Jennifer Morgann. Age: 26. Sex: F.
 
She closed her eyes and placed her hand back on the bedcover.
 
Jennifer. I'm Jennifer. Everyone calls me Jen. I remember.
 
“Welcome back, Jen.” She turned her head sharply to look at the man sitting in the chair in the corner of the room. He looked strangely familiar to her.
 
A flash of memory burned quickly in her mind, a smile with laughter, clear blue water, and a hand reaching out to hers. It was gone as soon as Jen realized what it was.
 
Only one stray thought entered her mind: He's here.