Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Warcraft ❯ Warcraft ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Warcraft
By David Wegescheide
(The stage is a small room, dark, but not pitch black. There is little furniture, a bed, a desk, a window, and a computer. Boxes are strewn about the floor, it is a basement. It is the grey of the evening. There is the sound of a raging storm outside. JOHN is sitting at his computer, facing the audience on a sort of diagonal, so that we can't see the screen, but we can see the glow of the computer on his face. JOHN has a headset on.)
 
JOHN
 
Alright, pull the Giant. Hit orange first and wait for three sunders.
 
(Pause)
I said three sunders! Stop DPS!
 
(The light from the computer dims and comes back up.)
God damn this storm! Don't worry, I'm just getting a little lag from the storm. Let's take two minutes for a bio break. We'll be starting again at 10:15 server time.
 
(JOHN takes out a small kitchen timer and sets it. He watches it tick down for a little while, and gets impatient.)
Alright, doing a ready check. Okay, everyone's here, boss time. Everyone rebuff and stay here. Mages and Priests decurse this fight, avoid the cave, Warlocks keep DoT's up, and careful with the AoE this time Bert.
 
(The projector turns on. The game is World of Warcraft. It is made out to seem like a very exciting battle. The fighting slows then stops, the projector fades, and returns to it's original images. The stage goes to black.)
 
JOHN
 
Damn Storm! Where's my backup?
 
(The sound of JOHN stumbling around in the darkness. Finally there is a loud crash.)
 
(Triumphant)
Ah!
 
(The sound of a switch turning on and a motor starting up. There is a loud clanking noise, and JOHN turns on the lights. The motor is inside a cardboard box, with wires coming out. There is a loud bang and a cloud of smoke comes out of the box. JOHN smothers it with his bed sheets as the stage goes to black.)
 
(A flashlight is brought on stage by JERRY, he is now breathing heavily, and has a long gash on his arm.)
 
JOHN
 
Jerry! Where's the new back-up?
 
JERRY
 
I've got it, John, but before you can have it I need your help with something..
 
I think they saw me John.
 
JOHN
 
What do you…
 
(Pause)
Did you… Did you steal it?
 
JERRY
 
I need you to come outside with me.
 
JOHN
 
Did you steal it!
 
JERRY
 
I need your help! I'm bleeding!
 
JOHN
 
Did you steal this!
 
(JOHN tries to get the box out of Jerry's grasp.)
 
JERRY
 
Stop it John! I need to go to the hospital!
 
JOHN
 
(Looks at the cut.)
I've had worse. I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what happened.
 
JERRY
 
Alright. The store was closed, and I found a rock nearby. So I broke the window and took it. I left money on the counter, but I slashed my arm on the window. Now I think the police are after me, I don't think they even saw the money! So I want you to go out there and make sure they aren't following me so I can get to the hospital.
 
JOHN
 
I already told you the cut isn't too bad, you'll live; besides the headset will get soaked.
 
JERRY
 
You know that does come off your head.
 
JOHN
 
Shut up. Look, you left money right?
 
JERRY
 
Yeah.
 
JOHN
 
You paid the exact price right?
 
JERRY
 
Well.
 
JOHN
 
Right!
 
JERRY
 
I might've not paid All of it…
 
JOHN
 
Jerry.
JERRY
 
It was only a few bucks! You know how expensive those things are! You tear through them! This is the third one this year! If you weren't my brother, I wouldn't bother getting them for you!
 
JOHN
 
You should have waited for mom to come back. The old one will last another couple days with some tweaking.
 
JERRY
 
You're the one that told me to go get it.
 
JOHN
 
How `bout we hide you?
 
JERRY
 
Where!
 
JOHN
 
What if… What if…
 
JERRY
 
Please just come outside! I'm bleeding all over the place.
 
JOHN
 
What if we just return it!
 
JERRY
 
We can't! It's too big!
 
JOHN
 
But you got it here just fine.
 
JERRY
 
Uh, yeah. I had to make a lot of stops on the way.
 
JOHN
 
Stops?
 
JERRY
 
Well, it's very heavy.
 
JOHN
 
You had the car.
 
JERRY
 
Oh yeah! I parked it off someplace to give me an alibi.
 
JOHN
 
(Looks out window)
No you didn't it's outside!
 
JERRY
 
So I picked up a few things on the way!
 
JOHN
 
Jerry.
 
JERRY
 
This isn't like that time. I swear! I only picked up something to eat!
 
john
 
And?
 
jerry
 
A drink.
 
john
 
AND?
 
jerry
 
This lamp.
(He holds it up)
 
john
 
Why would you steal something so stupid?
 
jerry
 
It's so shiny see?
(He plays with it a bit.)
 
john
 
Jerry, we went through this already.
 
jerry
 
I know John, I know. We had a big counseling meet too. The whole grand family came out to see Me the great thief of the family.
 
john
 
That was ten years ago Jerry.
 
jerry
 
Oh, so you mean the two years in juvenile.
 
john
 
Closer
 
jerry
 
Is it the five years in jail? You know it sucks when they start trying you as an adult.
 
john
 
Jerry, did you take your pills today.
 
 
jerry
 
No.
 
john
 
Jerry. You have to stop! Father… Father wouldn't have wanted you to turn out like this.
 
jerry
 
Not again! It's always father this and father that! You idolize that man! He's dead now, let the dead rest in peace.
 
john
 
He was a brave and good man. He lived to protect us, to protect our mother.
 
jerry
 
Then he went and got himself shot! Now our mother is out god knows where, and all you do is sit at that damn computer all day! I'm the normal one here. You have no right to lecture me!
 
john
 
This was the last thing he got us before he left. He got you and mom an account too. He said that he'd talk to us online, and we could still be a family, even if we were so far apart.
 
jerry
 
Our father was an idiot.
 
john
 
Our father died for our country!
 
jerry
 
Alright, be that way. I'm leaving; you've got your precious generator. Go back to not living your life. It's your problem now.
 
john
 
Oh no, I'm perfectly fine with my old one.
 
(JOHN moves to tinker with the motor. Lights go up. JOHN turns back on the computer. The glow of the computer is back on JOHN.)
I'm back. The lights came back! Yeah, I'm on bind, yeah, he's still stealing. It's okay, he left money this time. He's got a little cut, but nothing bad. No he never asks about you. How far did you take them Otosa? Gehannas? I need a summon then, I'm about to get mauled by dogs. What dropped? Who won? Rah? Grats man.
 
(JOHN now totally ignores his brother, and JERRY sits down for a while. Finally JERRY gets up and walks over to JOHN. He stands there watching for a few seconds before exploding at JOHN.)
 
jerry
 
You and your damn game! You've always been playing games! Can you hear me? Take those headphones off!
 
(JERRY makes a move to remove the headset, JOHN moves out of the way.)
So you can hear me.
 
john
 
Go away Jerry, leave if you're so scared.
 
jerry
 
Well, what if I don't want to leave anymore.
 
john
 
I thought the cops were after ya.
 
jerry
 
Sounds like they caught their man.
 
john
 
Maybe I should turn you in then.
 
jerry
 
Okay, do that. Then you'll have to go get your own damn back-ups.
 
john
 
(JOHN suddenly stops talking and focuses on the game.)
Alright, we can do this. He's got two percent left, it's me and you, Otosa. Just keep me alive, I'll show you how good I've gotten.
 
jerry
 
(JERRY sighs, turns, and starts to walk out. He stops and comes back.)
John, have you ever met a woman?
 
john
 
Jerry.
 
jerry
 
Honestly, have you even seen one?
 
john
 
Of course I have, see there's one right there.
(JOHN motions to the screen)
 
jerry
 
John… That's not a real woman.
 
John
 
Of course it is. It says female on it.
 
Jerry
 
John. You can touch women, you can feel them.
 
john
 
Jerry, you know how I feel about that.
 
Jerry
 
So stop playing that damn game and I'll spare you're virgin ears!
(JERRY slams his fist down next to the keyboard, JOHN jumps away.)
 
john
 
Jerry! You almost hit the keyboard!
 
(JOHN looks away from the game for a moment.)
I'm sorry guys, my brother is being an asshat. Ah! Goddammit! You made me die!
 
jerry
 
Shame I couldn't have made you do something more permanent.
 
john
 
(John glares at Jerry, opens his mouth as if to speak, but decides against it.)
Great, now I have to wait for a rez. Thanks a lot! Rez Junsui please.
 
(JOHN, as if admitting defeat, throws his headset onto the table.)
Alright, you have my attention.
 
jerry
 
Good, for once I have your attention. For once in my hell hole of a life, I have your attention.
 
john
 
We used to spend a lot of time together.
 
jerry
 
That was before you got that damn game!
 
john
 
You could have a turn.
 
jerry
 
I could, if I wanted to look like you. I'm sorry, but I don't think even mom has the money to pay for those operations again.
 
john
 
They weren't that bad.
 
jerry
 
Not that bad? You went in twice to get your back shoved back into shape, then you needed to get your hands treated, and each month your glasses get upgraded. What have you got now, ten pounds worth of glass? Face it, you're killing yourself.
 
john
 
It's not that bad. Really. I enjoy it. Honestly, I don't feel it anymore.
 
jerry
John, come with me. There's tons of really cool stuff outside. We got much better potions than what you'll find in there. They'll let you see things you can't even dream of.
 
john
 
I thought you went through drug rehab.
 
JERRY
 
Kinda, it didn't help. That stuff… It makes you fly.
 
JOHN
 
Jerry, cocaine doesn't make you fly, it makes you die.
 
jerry
 
It's just a metaphor John, and I ain't dead yet.
 
John
 
That's not living life Jerry.
 
Jerry
 
You're one to talk. I think I have more of a life than you do. I go out, see women, talk to people. Maybe have the occasional bar fight. Take whatever I want, whenever I want. I'm the top o' the world John, and you could join me. We could be a great team.
 
john
 
I'm not like you, I was never very sneaky, nor athletic. I can't be a thief.
 
jerry
 
Is that why yer character is a thief?
 
john
 
Don't mock my rogue, and I have other characters besides my rogue. I just happen to need the extra DPS at the moment.
 
jerry
 
Sure, yer other characters are a midget, and another thief.
 
john
 
That's a mage and a druid.
 
jerry
 
Same thing.
 
(Pause)
So, do you want to know a secret?
 
john
 
Not right now, I'm getting a rez.
 
jerry
 
You know what's under those clothes right? The girls, they have these huge…
 
john
 
(Cutting JERRY off)
SHUT UP! If you have to talk, talk about something else!
 
jerry
 
No. I like this topic. It's… appealing.
 
john
 
Jerry, drop it!
 
jerry
Honestly, think about it, why do people get married? Love? Feh, it's all about the sex.
 
john
 
JERRY! I acknowledge what goes on, just please stop talking about it.
 
jerry
 
Oh! Really? How would you know when you never move five feet from your computer?
 
john
 
Jerry please.
 
jerry
 
 
Seriously, you're twenty eight and you still haven't been laid. Are you sure your dick still works?
 
john
 
I don't have to listen to you.
 
(JOHN returns his attention to the game.)
 
jerry
 
Come on John. You know I'm right! Why don't you try my way just once? What harm could it do? Hey!
 
(JERRY tugs at JOHN for a moment, gives up and grabs a box. With a quick flip he empties it of it's contents and drops it over JOHN's head. JOHN yelps and scrambles to get the box off his head. He then proceeds to throw it at JERRY. JERRY catches it and throws it back. This time JOHN is ready and catches it. They throw it back and forth a few more times with more of a childish energy, like playing catch.)
 
john
 
Alright, stop.
 
(JOHN catches and puts down the box.)
 
jerry
 
John!
 
(Pause)
Help the police have come for me! John!
 
john
 
AFK for a sec guys, I have to take care of my brother.
(JOHN takes off his headphones. He gets up and slowly crosses the room to his bed. He ducks down and reaches under it searching for something.)
 
jerry
 
John. What are you doing John?

(JERRY moves to stop JOHN, tugging at the back of JOHN's shirt. JOHN clings to the bed and desperately continues searching, despite his brother's strong grip.)
 
John
 
(Manages to pull out a dusty old cell phone. JERRY makes a grab for the phone, but JOHN now has the upper hand and moves out of the way.)
 
Hey police.
 
(JERRY starts cursing and kicking boxes out of the way to get to the door. One falls over and several guns and ammo carts fall out. JERRY freezes.)
Can I talk to Officer… Johnson? I'll hold.
 
(JERRY loads the gun and aims it at JOHN.)
 
Oh hey Johnson.
 
(JERRY aims at the computer instead, JOHN freezes.)
 
Oh uh.. nothing, just wanted to call and say hi. No I haven't seen my brother. He's probably still upstairs though. No, no reason to come over. No wait…
 
jerry
 
Damn it John, now you've done it.
 
(JOHN backs up a bit, getting some distance between him and his brother, but at the same time he puts himself between the gun and his computer. JERRY watches, holding the gun pointed at the computer. He shoots there is a flash as the motor overrides and explodes due to the computer getting hit. Lights go to black. JERRY and JHON scramble around for a flashlight in the darkness. Finally JERRY stands up with the flashlight and points it at JOHN who is aiming the gun at him.)
 
john
I'll call for help Jerry.
(There is another gunshot and as the lights come back up, JERRY is on the ground bleeding while JOHN has finished hooking up the other motor.)
 
john
 
Yeah, I'm on bind again, I need to call Monorn over here to give Jerry a heal though. He'll be fine in a few hours. No, just had to KO him. Alright, I think he'll last a few hours. Let's finish this so you can finally come back, Dad.
 
(The projector changes again and starts to show slides from the game. Lights fade to black, and the projector shows a picture of the family together.)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1