Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ We Stars Who Have Been Oucast ❯ Chapter 1: From the Stars Above to the Clouds Below ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

 
 
It was the middle of the night, it was rainy and there was a cold, wet girl walking in the dark and the rain. No one knew who she was or where she was from. They only knew she had a super calculator for a brain and sad, grey eyes that looked at the world with utter distaste. Her night sky colored hair fell across her face and the mud when she slipped and fell. She picked herself up and kept walking. She had no home. She had just started attending one of the schools one day at the end of the last school year. She claimed her name to be Rachel Krendall, but there was no one in all of Grennhall County with that name. When asked she just claimed that she had to get home. Now it was time for her to find a home. She looked through the window of the nearest house. There were no lights on and cobwebs in the windows.
 
`Perfect!' she thought.
 
The rumors around town were that this house had once been inhabited by an old lady with several mental issues. Now it was the perfect house for a young outcast who needed it.
 
The next morning she went to the agency selling the house and bought it. She moved in and started fixing it and getting services paid for. She had the house running before school started the next year. But the first day of school was rainy as well. Rachel headed for the middle school. She carried a small backpack and a lot of books. It was the first day of eighth grade and she sat as far from the teacher as possible. As September turned to October, she met and learned about all of her classmates.
 
In October she did something extremely unusual, she started talking to people. But she had a secret. And she wasn't going to let it slip just yet. She knew exactly where she was from, and she was building a spaceship. And she was making it out of a rusted old Toyota Corolla in the back of the house.
 
“Hi my name is James.” Said a boy, walking toward her.
Rachel.” She responded, not looking up from the book she was reading.
“Wanna go to Smoothie Plaza with me?”
“Well, I had something I needed to do, but sure. It can wait.”
“What did you need to do?”
“That's not important. Not yet.”
“Yet?”
“Let's go!” She said, shoving the book in her bag.
 
They walked through the cold nipping wind to the Smoothie Plaza that everyone liked. They ordered their smoothies and talked for a little bit. She told him a little about herself.
 
What did you ask me here for?”
“What?” he asked, confused.
“You brought me here for a reason, what is it? Or did fate have you ask me because I need your help with my project?”
“You need my help, I need a tutor. We'll have a fair exchange of services.”
“We're going to my house, your help is needed today. How much do you know about Corollas and spaceships?”
“Now I'm lost.”
 
She dragged him out of the shop, smoothies in hand. They walked all the way down to her house. She unlocked the door and ran in, dropping her stuff by the door. He walked through the door to catch the sight of the shorts she wore under her skirt as she climbed the stepladder into the attic. He followed her, more than a little confused. She was scrambling around, apparently trying to find something.
 
He saw that she was accumulating a small stack of books on her bed.
 
“ `Toyota Corollas For Morons'? `Spaceships For Stupid People'? `How To Build A Spaceship For Dummies'?” He read the titles of the books.
“Exactly.” She said, surfacing with the final book, entitled; “How To Turn A Car Into A Spaceship”.
“I think I get it now, you want to fix the car in the back,” He gestured out the window. “Into a spaceship. Okay, when's the alarm clock gonna ring?”
“Very funny,” She smirked. “But this is the real deal.”
“Riiiiiiiiiiight.”
 
They ran outside and she pulled the cover off the car. It was half torn apart. They worked on that until five and they snacked on the contents of the fridge while she helped him with their homework.
 
He left at six thirty and she wrote her number on his hand.
 
“Call me whenever you want. You're always welcome here.” She said.
 
The next day at school she caught his brown eyes for a fraction of a second in the cafeteria, blinked and, after one of his friends was finished talking to him, had vanished.