Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Whispering Birth ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The birds were chirping as he walked through the forest. He held a long, wooden staff. His long dark robe made him seem out of place here in the middle of this forest. Long dark hair hung freely about his gaunt face. It was hard to tell what he was doing in this seemingly peaceful forest, but of course, he knew what he was doing here. But not those who would pass him along this forest path.

Have…to keep going… He thought as a howl could be heard in the distance.

Gripping his staff with forced determination, Elliot summoned up any extra energy he could find and stood straight. He was starving. He must soon. If he doesn’t find shelter soon…

His grey eyes narrowed, glowing slightly from his delicate eyelashes. The more he walked, the more exhaustion crept up on him. Not only was he dying of hunger, but he was burning up in this sunlight. His entire body was beginning to tingle. The early stages of heat stroke were beginning to set in.

Moments passed, becoming what seemed like hours to him as he finally reached the darker part of the forest. The shade of the canopy above provided him with some relief, but not much. He was out of breath now. Elliot hobbled over to the base of a nearby tree. Placing his staff against the tree trunk, Elliot quickly reached into the folds of his cloak and pulled out a small dagger.

The blade of the dagger was barely bigger than the ones of a hunting knife. A small ruby was set into the heart of the hilt with runes running along the handle. The ruby glowed faintly as his fingers brushed lightly against the hard surface. He felt some of his strength returning, but it wasn’t enough. He needed blood.

The half vampire male rose to his feet at hearing a twig snap from somewhere behind, making his heart jump in surprise. His hand grabbed his staff resting against the oak tree and in the blink of an eye; he swiveled around on his feet, quickly lashing out with it. Much to his surprise and to the disdain of his ears with their acute hearing, he heard a shriek and what he saw nearly surprised him.

His wooden staff only struck a basket of flowers wielded by a young girl with long red hair and small yellow eyes. He could tell from the scared look on her face that she was human and a young one at that.

“I’m sorry.” He said softly, lowering his staff now.

The lass offered him a weak smile, trying to still her own trembling.

“It’s-it’s alright, si-good sir. You just ga-gave m-me a hit of-of a f-fr-fright.” She stuttered.

It seemed like the poor adolescent had some kind of speech disorder that made her stutter. From her appearance, Elliot could see that her long red hair was held back by a brown cloth tied around her head. A few freckles dotted her cheeks. Her brown earth colored dress marked as her a peasant human peasant – a commoner. She looked to be no older than thirteen years old – maybe fifteen because of her height. She barely came up to his chest. Despite her overall commoner appearance, her golden eyes marked her of having noble birth.

A growl sounded out of nowhere, making the maiden jump in fright and she looked over her shoulder. A large black wolf stood there, growling at them a few feet away from the man and girl.

Damn! Elliot cursed mentally.

Gripping his staff more firmly with his left hand, Elliot put his dagger in between his teeth and gently and slowly pulled the lass behind him, in which the she obliged.  The dhampire’s eyes narrowed as more wolves appeared. They were all smaller in comparison to the first wolf, but that still didn’t make them any less dangerous. One of the smaller wolves stepped forward making the girl grab onto his cloak.

Curses! He was still weak. He needed blood and fast.

Elliot could see her golden eyes widening in fright. This must be her first time seeing a wolf, let alone a werewolf. Turning his head ever so slightly, he looked at the golden eyed child from the corner of his eyes.

“What is your name, child?” he asked softly.
“W-what?” the girl blinked, looking back at him.

“Your name! Tell me your name so that I might protect you!” Elliot demanded loudly.

He didn’t mean to sound so harsh, but the odds were stacked against them and they were both in danger.

She drew in a shaky breath before saying her name to him.

“Jolene Castillo.”

“Well then, Jolene Castillo,” the male said quietly, stepping back a bit, “I cannot quite explain everything at this very moment, but if we are both to live another day, I require your assistance.”


“A-ass-assistance?” Jolene stuttered with a soft squeak.

The wolves were beginning to crowd around the two of them now, forcing them back against the tree. Jolene yelped at feeling the breath of a wolf against her leg and she pressed herself more into Elliot’s side.

“Will you allow me to drink your blood?” Elliot turned himself around to face the young girl and he leaned into her, pressing his lips to her ear as he whispered this.

His words made her heart jump and it was in that moment that she knew or thought she knew what he was. A vampire. Jolene slowly looked up into his eyes. She could see that he had a somewhat pale complexion, but his eyes had a slight purple tint to them as he looked at her. This just served to make him look more human in comparison to the other vampires. The young girl didn’t have long to make a decision for she nodded.

“Y-yes!” she knew she there was going to be some price for having a vampire protecting her and this was it.

Her only hope is that he wouldn’t turn her into one of his kind in the process – if it were possible.

Elliot’s lips curled back into a smile and he drew the girl into a gentle embrace.

“Thank you.” He breathed into her ear before leaning in more.

He could sense her blood pulsing at the base of her neck. All it took was one beat – a flutter in her neck for his vampire instincts to come alive. His canine teeth grew out of his mouth, glittering briefly in her line of vision before he gently nipped her skin, pricking it to call forth some blood. All needed was one drop and through one bite, one nibble, one nip, he would get the strength he needed.