Other Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome's Trial ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yet another update. I really need to update with more regularity, and I see that happening soon (maybe). Just one more week of marching band, and I'll be done! I can't say how excited I am. Anyway, enjoy the chapter.
 
~*~
 
The wedding was very simple, as she'd suspected. It was just outside in the sunset with the Valeans sitting on chairs that they'd brought. Since she didn't have a father, Eric took her down the “aisle” and handed her to his son. The main Healer conducted the ceremony, they said their “I do's”, exchanged rings, kissed, and that was it. There was the whole eat, drink, and be merry at the end, as there was at all weddings, and they ate, but Kagome didn't touch the alcohol; she was brought up to not drink, and Felix stayed away from it also.
 
When Kagome started getting antsy, Felix announced that they would be leaving for home. They got a few whistles and some drunken good-byes, then they were on their way. First they stopped by Piers' home to get Kagome's things. When she came back down, she was changed back into her Laliveran clothing. “I can't very well walk home in that dress,” she informed him when he looked at her questioningly.
 
Their friends met them at the edge of the town and said good-bye; they were all too young to drink with the exception of Piers, but he chose to remain sober. They wished the newlyweds good-luck, then went back to the party, which seemed to be doing quite well without them.
 
When they arrived home without mishap, Kagome stopped at the foot of the stairs. “I guess you can't stay in your room tonight,” she stated. They'd moved all his stuff into the sickroom, which was where he'd been staying since he came here.
 
“I'm sure we could make it work if that's where you wanted me,” he said cheerfully, “though I don't think that's what you want.”
 
“No, I definitely don't think that room suits you anymore,” she decided. “Come on, I need to wash the dust of the road off me. Do you think you could help me?”
 
“I'll do whatever you need me to,” he answered, following her up the stairs.
 
Not much changed in their lives. Sure, they now shared a room, but otherwise, things remained the same. The major changes were when Jenna and Garet got married, then Isaac and Mia, and finally Ivan and Sheba. What surprised Kagome was that they all waited until they were twenty to get married, except Sheba; she was nineteen. Felix had said that people were getting married when they were younger sixteen, so why did they wait? Still, it didn't matter much. They were happy, and that was all that mattered.
 
When they did get married, to Kagome's shock, they didn't want to stay in Vale; instead, they all asked if there was room in her forest for them as well. Naturally, she said yes, and they started clearing space for them to build their homes; Felix and Isaac had to leave for that part, as well as the splitting of wood to build the frame of the houses. Piers, feeling a little left out, also joined them out in the forest, selling his former home to a young man in Vale. They wanted their homes like Kagome's but weren't sure how she had built it in the first place. She wanted them to be happy, so she did her best to remember how she had done it, but with the modifications each one wanted. Once that was out of the way, they were able to do the rest of the work.
 
The buildings completed, the seven Adepts moved into their new homes. They all lived relatively close to each other, though none of them had built on the area Kagome had already “claimed”. To make visiting easier, they had built paths to the main one she and Felix had made when they tried to solve the forgetting-barrier problem.
 
Kagome was sweeping her porch, thinking about how much her life had changed in the four years since she'd married Felix. Before, she had been alone, taking care of her home and her friends' graves. Now, she not only had a husband who adored her, she had neighbors, and was close friends with all of them. She hadn't realized how lonely she had really been until they all moved out here to be with her.
 
“Kagome!” Garet's panicked voice cut through her ponderings.
 
She looked up to see Garet running up the path to her home, red in the face and out of breath. “What's wrong?” she asked, resting her broom against a wall.
 
“It's Jenna,” he gasped. “There's something wrong with her. Will you come look and see if it's something's serious?”
 
She immediately followed him, her hair and miko clothing billowing behind her. When she arrived, she washed her hands and sent Garet to find Felix and tell him where she was. Felix didn't really need to know, but she wanted him away since he would only distract her and not help in the least. As he left, she shook her head. Now that he's out of our hair, let's see what's wrong with his wife. “Jenna?” she called, entering the bedroom.
 
“I'm in here,” she said from the bed.
 
“Garet seemed to be a bit worried about you,” Kagome said lightly. “Is something wrong?”
 
The Mars Adept groaned. “I felt sick to my stomach all day yesterday,” she told her. “I haven't been able to eat anything. Is something wrong with me?”
 
Thinking she already knew the problem, she used her miko powers to probe her friend's lower abdomen. When she was done, she looked at Jenna and smiled. “Congratulations, you're going to be a mother,” Kagome informed her friend.
 
“What?” Jenna shouted, looking astounded.
 
“Yes, you definitely have a child growing in you,” the miko said. “You'll have to be very careful about what you eat so the child will be okay.”
 
Jenna looked at Kagome in wonder. “How can you tell?” she queried.
 
“Maybe I'll tell you later,” she said, winking conspiratorially. “Now, I have to go make sure Garet doesn't do anything stupid in his worry for you. Did you want to tell him?”
 
“Sure.”
 
Kagome left the much happier Fire-user and had put one foot on her front step when Ivan came blowing in, much like Garet. Sighing, she followed him and sent him on a fool's errand, just like she had done with the other distraught man. Entering, she found Sheba in much the same state as Jenna, and with the same diagnosis. When she found out, Sheba was thrilled, and Kagome left, praying that Isaac wouldn't be the next one to show up on her doorstep. Still, she didn't want to have to wait for him and went straight from Ivan's home to his to check and see if Mia was in the same condition as the other two.
 
Lucky for her, Mia answered the door. “Kagome, I wasn't expecting you,” the Water Adept said.
 
“Sorry to bother you, but I just paid two house calls to Jenna and Sheba, so I thought I might as well check on you as well.”
 
Mia moved back so Kagome could enter. “Isaac's not here right now,” she said as they moved into the main room.
 
“I know,” Kagome said cheerfully. “Felix said earlier that he, Isaac, and Piers were going to Vale to get some more sharpening stones. Now, if you'll just sit down.” Mia obeyed, and Kagome sat down across from her. “You haven't been getting morning sickness, have you?” she asked.
 
Mia shook her head. “No, why?”
 
“Hm. Let me just check something.” She put a hand on her lower stomach focusing her miko power in that one spot. “Well, this is interesting,” she murmured.
 
“What?” Mia asked curiously.
 
“It seems like all three of you are pregnant.”
 
“Really?” the other girl squealed. “I have a child?”
 
“Yup,” Kagome confirmed.
 
“Now the only one who needs a child is you,” Mia teased her.
 
Kagome only smiled. “Anyway, you seem to be more lucky than either Jenna or Sheba, so be glad while it lasts. You may get morning sickness later.”
 
“Okay. Thanks for coming by,” Mia thanked her cheerfully as she walked her to the door.
 
“Not a problem. I'm just glad you're okay and didn't send Isaac running off for me. Not that they did, either, but still, I'm glad he wasn't waiting for me when I got done with Sheba.”
 
Mia looked down at her still-flat stomach. “I have a while to wait, but that's okay.” She waved good-bye and closed the door.
 
They're all expecting! I'm so happy for them. Now I just have to pray that everything goes well and there aren't any unexpected troubles with the children. Walking up the steps of her home, she entered and was startled to see Felix already home.
 
He stood when she entered. “Where have you been?” he asked.
 
“Garet and Ivan came running to get me and check on their wives, and after that I decided to check on Mia to see if she had the same malady as the other two.”
 
“Is something wrong?” he asked, concern on his features.
 
She shook her head. “On the contrary. They will all be mothers in about nine months.”
 
He looked shocked, then a grin made its way across his face. “That's great news,” he said, picking her up and spinning her. “Why would Garet and Ivan want you to check them, though?”
 
“Well, Jenna and Sheba both have morning sickness. None of them knew what that meant, so I was called. Mia is fine, so that's probably why Isaac didn't come for me also.”
 
“Are you okay?” he asked.
 
“I'm sorry, Felix, but I'm not expecting.”
 
“It's okay,” he reassured her, taking her in his arms. “We've been busy, and I have a feeling that we'll be looking at even more work in the future.”
 
“Still, a family,” Kagome started. “I've lost my other family. I would like one of my own someday. It's great, just the two of us, but don't you want children?”
 
He smiled at her. “Of course I do. I'm ready whenever you are.”
 
“Do you have anything pressing to do today?” she asked innocently.
 
“No, why?”
 
“Then come with me.”
 
~Nine months later~
 
“Push!”
 
“I can't push anymore. Please, just let me die.”
 
“You're almost done, sweetie, just one more.”
 
Screaming, then it was out. Hands wiped the baby dry. Kagome held the infant, smiling at the red, squalling thing. “Congratulations, you have a healthy son,” she informed Sheba, who was lying down on the cot, panting and drenched in sweat. The small blonde held out her arms for her child, and Kagome relinquished her hold on him.
 
“He's beautiful,” she murmured.
 
Kagome giggled at the mother's obvious infatuation with her firstborn. It looked as ugly as every newborn, but in a mother's eyes, her child is always beautiful. The same thing had happened to first Jenna, then Mia a few days later. The fathers were just as taken, but nothing could match the love of a mother. Sadly, she didn't know that feeling. No matter what, she just couldn't seem to get pregnant, and it wasn't for lack of trying. That didn't stop her from being happy for her friends, though.
 
“I'll call Ivan in,” she told Sheba once the blood was cleaned up.
 
The new mother just nodded, not paying attention to what Kagome was saying. “Ivan, you have a son,” she said to the anxious man waiting in her house with Felix.
 
He was up and gone like he'd been shot out of a cannon. “Well, that was quick,” Felix stated, looking at the spot where Ivan had been standing a few seconds before.
 
“He's just worried about Sheba,” Kagome told him. “He seemed to take it pretty well, actually. He left when I told him to, unlike Garet. You know, Garet actually tried to stay in the room while the baby was being born.”
 
Felix laughed at the picture. “I bet Jenna wasn't happy about that.”
 
“Nope. He left real quick once she started going into labor.” She yawned. “Well, three babies born in one week wasn't something I expected. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to encourage the mother to not give up. Would you mind terribly if I went to bed early? I don't know how much longer I can stay awake.”
 
“Go ahead,” he said gently. “I'm going to see Piers for awhile, but I think I might be joining you once I get back.”
 
~*~