Other Fan Fiction / Original Song Lyrics Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Five Minutes and She's Where I Wanna Be ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
 
Krystal went through her Tuesday bored as anything. She couldn't stop herself from thinking of all the possibilities that would explain what Ryan was doing the previous night, and, more importantly, why he seemed to be avoiding her all through school. When she was walking home, she saw him a little ahead of her, and rushed to catch up.
“Rye? Are you okay?”
“Huh? Oh, hey, Kris. Yeah I'm fine. Why?”
“Well… I haven't seen you all day. I started to get worried.”
“Yeah, sorry about that… busy day.”
“I guess. Can I ask you something?”
“Sure.”
“Um… what… are you doing tonight?” she asked, chickening out of asking her original question.
“Nothing, probably hanging out with Nicole and Marisa. You in? We miss you, you know.”
“Yeah, why not. I'll just tell Joe to call later than usual.” Ryan's jaw clenched. “Sorry, sorry, forgot you don't like him…”
“No, it's not that I don't like him, it's just…”
“It's just what?”
“Nothing. Never mind.”
“Rye, don't do this to me! It's just what?”
“He's… replacing me. He's replacing all three of us.” Krystal stepped in front of Ryan, stopping him.
“Ryan Gabriel! How can you say that?! Do you really think I could replace you?! I've known you my whole life! I'm the youngest of the four of us, wouldn't it be hardest for me to let you go? Ryan, even if you're only 7 months older than me…. you're still older! You should know better! I cannot believe you just said that!”
“Kris, listen to me! You're not trying to, but you're doing it without realizing it! We haven't seen you since last week, well, except for Sunday, but you kicked us out for him! I want Krystal back! I need you, Kris!” Just then, Nicole and Marisa turned the corner and rushed over to Ryan and Krystal, who, by then, had a tear stained face.
“What's going on?” Nicole asked.
“He's… accusing-”
“I'm not accusing you of anything, Kris. I'm telling you the truth. I'm keeping my promise. Or do you not remember that?” Ryan said, fuming. “Remember? No secrets?” He held up his pinkies and linked them together.
“Of course she remembers, Rye! What are you talking about?” Marisa asked.
“She's pushing us away! We're getting shoved off to the side for a guy she's never even met!” Krystal shook her head frantically.
“You know that's not true!”
“I don't know anymore, Kris. I used to, but now, I just…” He started walking away, but Krystal followed, telling Nicole and Marisa to let her handle it.
“Rye! Ryan! What is this really about?” She took his hand and pulled him into her house, through her room, and onto the roof. “What's going on?”
“Kris, I don't have time for this. I-”
“You're not going anywhere until you've explained everything to me.”
Ryan sighed, then took a deep breath. “I used to be him. You used to tell me everything. And lately, I haven't gotten to talk to you at all. We used to chill here every night. I miss that.”
Then a thought hit Krystal. “Rye, were you here last night?”
“Yeah… I was just gonna wait, and I really didn't mean to listen, but you opened the window and used speakerphone. I couldn't help it. Sorry.”
“It's fine… it was pointless conversation anyway.”
“The first few minutes weren't.” Krystal froze.
“You heard that?” Ryan nodded. “Well, I'm right, aren't I?”
“Kris, why are you so oblivious?” He didn't wait for a response, he just leaned over and kissed her.
“Rye, stop.” she mumbled onto his lips. He shook his head and kept going. After a minute, he pulled away.
“Sorry… I just… knew I wouldn't get another chance at that.”
“No, you won't. But it's okay… I think.”
“You think?”
“Well, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be really mad at you right now.”
“And… you're not? That's weird… I thought you'd push me off the roof or something.” Krystal smacked him across the face. “Hey!”
“There. Better?”
“Um… I dunno… so you're really not mad?”
“Well, I mean, I don't have a boyfriend or anything, so… I guess not.”
“You have Joe.” Ryan replied, anger in his eyes.
“Joe is Joe. I'll probably never get to see him. He's just a friend.”
“That you happen to like… a lot.”
“Ryan,” she sighed, “do you have to do that?”
“What?”
“Make this even more awkward than it already is?”
“How is it awkward?”
“Ryan!” she whined.
“Krystal!” he said, imitating her tone.
“Yeah, okay? Yeah. I know, always the impossible ones… but… I gotta go… that history paper is due tomorrow.”
“Oh shoot! I forgot about that!” Krystal watched, smiling slightly, as Ryan jumped off the porch and ran in the direction of his house.
-------
Kevin, Joe, and Nick didn't get home until 8:00, since they had gone out for dinner after the interview. Kevin and Nick decided that they would all watch a movie to keep Joe busy for a while- Krystal had texted him during dinner, telling him not to call until 10:30. They each agreed on Finding Neverland, one of their favorite movies. Afterward, they played Guitar Hero, and when 10:30 finally came, Joe ran up to his room and dialed Krissy's number.
“Hey Joe.”
“Hiya! How was your day?”
“Uh, okay I guess.”
“Why, what happened?”
“Nothing… just an off day overall.”
“What happened Krissy?”
“Well, let's just say you were right.”
“What'd he do?”
“Well, he avoided me during classes and whatnot, and when we were walking him, he sort of… blew up on me. He was all `I cant believe you're replacing us' and stuff. Then Nicole and Marisa found us, he yelled a little more and started walking again. I caught up with him and took him home with me and forced him to explain everything, and he… well, he…”
“He what?”
“He… told me how he heard our conversation last night and... how I was wrong and you were right.” Joe noticed that her voice was shaky, like she was still hiding something.
“And?”
“…And what?”
“Krissy, I can tell you left something out. You always talk faster and more quietly when you're trying to lie. What happened after that?” Krystal mumbled something that Joe couldn't understand. “What was that?” She mumbled again. “Krystal, I can't understand what-”
“I said he kissed me!”
“What?”
“Oh, you definitely heard me that time, Joseph.”
“W-why?”
“I don't know, ask him! It was so awkward! And the weirdest part is I wasn't even mad at him!”
“You weren't?” Joe asked, getting worried.
“No, I couldn't be… I didn't like it, it felt so… weird! But I just, wasn't mad…”
“Oh.” Joe sighed, relieved, replaying the `I didn't like it' over in his head.
“What do I do, Joe? I hung out with him, Nicole, and Marisa earlier but he barely talked to me… it was more awkward than it was right after…”
“You'll get over it eventually.”
“I'm not talking about me, Joe. I'm already over it, it didn't mean anything to me other than bad, no, wrong, and awkward. I'm talking about him.”
“He'll get over it eventually.”
“Great help, Joe. Thanks so much.” she said sarcastically.
“Anytime.” he replied, laughing.
“So how was your day?”
“Better than yours…” The two talked for another hour, and Joe hung up, worried that Ryan might change Krissy's mind. He understood why Ryan liked her so much, but was jealous that he could climb onto her roof anytime, while Joe was restricted to calling her. `Well,' he thought as he drifted to sleep, `that'll change soon enough.'