Other Fan Fiction ❯ A Paratrooper's Experience ❯ The Big Jump ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
2345 hours
June 5, 1944
 
 
 
I was nervous. More nervous when I was waiting punishment for pulling down the teacher's pants in front of the whole class while he was writing something around. Hehe, good times. That was why I joined the 101st. I was a total idiot out of high school that joined the U.S. Army. Suddenly, the light turned red. Not now, I thought glumly. The sergeant signaled for us to stand up and clip up. Surprisingly, the plane was hit. I got my Thompson ready. My best friend Sgt. Johnny Hanks had given me his Thompson as a gift. The sergeant had got mad at me, but the Captain decided that it was alright.
“ 12 ok,” The count started. The paratroopers were supposed to count from 12 all the way to 1 indicating if they were ok or not. Then, a voice interrupted my thoughts.
“ 8 ok,” My number was 6. “ 7 ok,” the soldier behind me shouted. “ 8 ok!” I shouted as loud as I could. Then, the count continued until the sergeant said, “ I'm ok,” The C47 plane we were riding got hit one more time when the lights went green. We formed a straight line and slowly walked to the door. Then, it was time for me to jump. I slowly got my stance ready and jumped. 5 seconds later I opened my parachute. All I could see was burning planes and soldiers jumping and parachutes opening. After the short sightseeing I floated to the ground with a loud thud. I saw another paratrooper land near me. I immediately started to take off the parachute things. Once they were out of the way I asked him, “ What company are you in?”
“ Fox Company, What about you?” he responded.
“ Baker,” I replied.
“ Pvt. Ryan Smith,” I told him.
“ I'm Pvt. Joe Anderson,” he replied.
“ C'mon follow me,” I suggested. He followed me as I peered from a bush. Suddenly, I saw a bush move. I walked near it with my Thompson aimed and said, “ Flash,” Then the paratrooper replied, “ Thunder,” He then stood up. Flash and Thunder was used to recognize each other even though you couldn't see the person. The soldier was a short white guy wearing a helmet, but I knew he was a blonde.
“ Cpl. Josh Johnson, Dog Company” he barked.
“ At least we have a higher ranking officer in here,” I grumbled. We started to walk slowly. Then, suddenly there was a sound of a clicker. A clicker was a little object used to communicate just like Flash and Thunder. When a soldier made the sound you had to reply with the same sound or else you would be identified as an enemy. I quickly got my clicker out and made the clicking noise. A soldier immediately stood up and showed his face. I could tell he was a private because he was holding a Garand .
“ Pvt. Jack Willis, Able Company” Then surprisingly 3 more soldiers got out.
“ No time to waste,” I said. We immediately ran. Then we quickly heard MG42 machine gun fire.
“ Duck!” The Corporal ordered. Everyone understood and did as ordered. I came to my senses and immediately pulled the pin of a fragmentation grenade and tossed it at the nest while they were reloading. The blast killed all three Germans. I had killed three persons. I had ended their lives. The thought mad me feel horrible.
“ Good job, kid.” The Corporal acknowledged. I nodded and said, “ Let's move out.”
But I knew that worse was about to come.