Other Fan Fiction ❯ Assassin's Creed Walkthrough ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: The beginning here is a bit abrupt, but it’s just how the game goes! Story and characters are property of Ubisoft. I’m not using this to make money, just to help explain the story to my non-gamer friends and family.



As the whiteness fades out, I can hear a voice...


“Wait! There must be another way!” it pleaded. “This one need not die.”

The assassin ran down the dank, dark tunnel as quietly as possible, and stole behind the man, knocking him to his knees and driving his blade deep into the back of the neck. He let the body down gently.

“An excellent kill,” The shorter assassin offered. “Fortune favors your blade.”

“Not fortune, skill. Watch a while longer and you might learn something,” the first assassin bragged.

“Indeed,” sneered the taller assassin. “He’ll teach you how to disregard everything the masters taught us.”

“And how would you have done it?” The first assassin demanded.

“I would not have drawn attention to us,” he explained. “I would not have taken the life of an innocent. What I would have done is follow the Creed.”

“Nothing is true,” the first quoted. “Everything is permitted. I understand these words. It matters not how we complete our task, only that it’s done.”

“But this is not the way of—”

“My way is better,” the first interrupted.

The taller assassin looked around, incredulous. “I will scout ahead,” he said resignedly. “Try not to dishonor us further.” He walked away down the torchlit corridor.

The shorter assassin watched him a moment, and then turned to the first. “What is our mission? My brother would say nothing to me, only that I should be honored to have been invited.”

“The Master believes the Templars have found something beneath the Temple Mount,” he explained.

“Treasure?” The short assassin sounded excited.

“I do not know. All that matters is that the Master considers it important. Else he would not have asked me to retrieve it.”

The short assassin moved aside, and allowed the first to proceed down the tunnel. He began to sprint, leaping over gaps in the floor, sometimes jumping off of nothing more than thin beams. The short assassin struggled to keep pace. The first quickly caught up with the tall assassin, and surpassed him. At the top of a ladder, he saw a guard, facing away from them. He quietly walked up to him, and stabbed him in the back while covering his scream with the other hand.

Once the body was moved out of the way, they passed through the doorway and onto a ledge overlooking a cavern.  Down below was a doorway, and above it an enormous golden chest set in a niche flanked by torches. Atop the chest was a sphere with a small cross above it.

“There! That must be the ark,” the tall assassin breathed.

“The… ark? Of the covenant?” the short one’s voice was full of awe.

“Don’t be silly,” the first said condescendingly. “There’s no such thing. It’s just a story”

“Then what is it?” the tall assassin argued.

“Quiet!” the short assassin warned, “Someone is coming!”

A bald man in a cape and two soldiers walked through the doorway below. They turned and gazed up at the chest.

“I want this through this gate before sunrise,” the bald man ordered. “The sooner we possess it, the sooner we can turn our attention to those jackals at Masyaf.”

“Robert de Sablé,” the first assassin hissed. “His life is mine!”

“No!” said the tall one. “We were asked to retrieve the treasure and deal with Robert only if necessary.”

“He stands between us and it,” the first said stubbornly. “I’d say it’s necessary.”

“Discretion, Altaïr!” the tall one warned.

“You mean cowardice?” the first one, Altaïr spat. “That man is our greatest enemy, and here we have a chance to be rid of him!”

“You have already broken two tenets of our creed,” the tall one said sadly, shaking his head. “Now you would break the third: Do not compromise the brotherhood?”

“I am your superior,” Altaïr pointed out, “In both title and ability. You should know better than to question me.” Without another word, he jumped to the floor below.

“Hold, Templars!” He called. “You are not the only ones with business here.”

“Ah,” Robert de Sablé smirked as the assassins approached him. “Well this explains my missing men. And what is it you want?”

Altaïr paused a moment, assessing the man before him. “Blood,” he said simply, and sprang forward.

“No, don’t!” cried one of the assassins behind him.

Robert de Sablé moved quicker than the eye could follow, punched Altaïr in the face and caught his arm in midair, hidden blade exposed. “You know not the things in which you meddle, assassin.” Robert’s voice was quiet and deadly. “I spare you only that you may return to your master and deliver a message.”

Altaïr struggled against his hold, but his strength seemed nearly inhuman. “The Holy Land is lost to him and his,” Robert continued. “He should flee now, while he has the chance.” With that he shoved Altair over backwards, and he fell through the scaffolding and into a lower level.

From above, Altaïr could hear Robert order his men to kill his fellow assassins, and the sounds of their fighting. He scrambled up the scaffolding, the walls, trying to get back. Where he had fallen down had collapsed, and he was forced to take a longer route, up several levels. Several times he missed and fell, and once he came to a dead end. By the time found a way out, he knew it was too late. The sounds of fighting had ceased. He must escape…

END NOTES:

Trying to keep these chapters somewhat short and manageable. That way I’ll be able to update more often. Man, it took forever for someone to say Altaïr’s name, didn’t it?? Lol.