Other Fan Fiction ❯ Atomic Galaxy ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Atomic Galaxy: Solar System VIII

Planet 64: Door to Door Sales

The camera zoomed in taking a close up of a light purple alien man with bright orange hair. He carried a large black suitcase and was dressed in a black suit and tie. The alien approached his target, Maximus' lair, and rung the door bell. Minimus opened the door and looked at the alien suspiciously. He eyed his suitcase wondering what could be in it.

"Allow me to introduce myself!" The alien spoke in an overly cheerful voice, a little too loud. "I represent BARK the best encyclopedia in the known universe!" He opened his suitcase to reveal many small disks. "Everything known in the universe is recorded right here!" The alien ranted for a while about the benefits of the encyclopedia, just as he was trained to do, before he noticed Minimus waving his arms around. "Do you have a question?"

"Finally, I thought you'd never shut up!" Minimus' angry face growled. He changed back to his normal face and asked his question. "What does BARK stand for?"

The encyclopedia salesman opened his mouth as if to speak, but no sound came out. He assumed the classic thinking position with a hand on his chin, then he scratched the top of his head and finally answered. "I have no idea. I've been working for this company all my life and I still don't know." There was a moment of silence while each of them tried to find what to say next. Then the alien asked what he had come to ask. "Are you going to buy it?"

"I can't," Minimus replied. "His evilness told me to stop buying junk because there's no room for my junk in his lair." He changed to his evil face. "But there's plenty of room for his junk!" Once again Minimus changed to normal. "I'll ask him if he wants to buy it." Being his sidekick for so long, Minimus should have predicted Maximus' reaction, but he didn't.

xoxox xox xoxox

Minimus returned to the door with Maximus. "BARK? I'll tell you what that stands for, Boring annoying random kollection! That's what that collection of CDs are!" Today Maximus wasn't in the mood to deal with door to door space sales people.

"But your evilness, collection starts with a c," Minimus pointed out.

"My point exactly, they can't even spell it right!" Maximus yelled. "Besides, I'm a super genius I already know everything there is to know and I bet you don't have ways to destroy Atomic Betty in there anyway!"

"Actually, we have an entire chapter dedicated to Atomic Betty," the bark salesman proudly declared. "What she likes to do in her free time, her favorite color, everything!"

"Her home planet? How to destroy her?" Maximus asked.

"No, I think we're missing that part, but we have all the other information and with the online update you can continue receiving the latest information! You'll know things about Atomic Betty that very few know," the orange haired alien cheered.

"Atomic Betty's secrets, maybe not her home planet or how to destroy her, but her secrets that can be used against her. What kind of information is in there?" Maximus asked.

"Everything," the alien hoped that maybe he would finally sell something, then again even when he thought he had a client, they always turned him down when he told them the price, but maybe this time it would be different. Maybe Maximus IQ would be the first to buy this product and save BARK from bankruptcy. "For example do you know what color Betty painted her nails?"

"No," Maximus was trying to figure out why would that be relevant at all.

"If you buy the encyclopedia then you will know!" The alien cheerfully laughed, but then his laugh turned into an insane maniac laughter. "Sorry about that," he coughed. "I'm getting over a little cold. So will you buy it?"

"No!" Maximus didn't even give the alien a chance to tell him the price that would probably make him yell even louder, if that's even possible. "Why would I care what color Atomic Betty's nails are? I'm not some creepy obsessive fan boy stalker!"

"You're not?" The alien was surprised. "But there was this gossip magazine you were stalking Atomic Betty."

"Idiot! I'm following her because I want to know where she lives!" Maximus took a moment to think about his words. It did kind of sound like he was stalking her. "But I'm not her fan boy, I only want to know where she lives so I can destroy her home planet!"

"Sure you do," the alien teased. "Everyone's an Atomic Betty fan these days."

"Guards!" No way was Maximus going to stand there and be insulted in his own lair. The guards chased after the alien, but he quickly grabbed his suitcase and escaped before they could catch him.

xoxox xox xoxox

A few minutes passed and someone else came. This time it was an alien of a different species selling pots and pans. Maximus almost kicked him out, literally, but Bernadette pushed Minimus in the way and the little sidekick served as a shield.

"Don't scare away the sales people!" The chef scolded, "especially when they're selling such high quality products."

While Minimus complained about the way he was being treated, Maximus became very confused. To him the pots and pans looked normal with nothing special, maybe it took a chef to tell the difference.

xoxox xox xoxox

After Bernadette finished shopping, all was quiet in Maximus' lair until once more there was someone at the door. But this time Maximus was ready. As soon as the intruder was standing in front of the door Maximus opened it and yelled. "I'm not buying anything!" Then he closed the door and walked a way with a satisfied smile.

However, it took a moment for his brain to register the image he had seen when he opened the door. That wasn't one of those annoying space sales people, it was a just a kid.

Maximus remembered the last time he accidentally yelled at a little kid like that. He almost got cooked by an angry mother, then again that was a dragon child he mixed up with an annoying sales person that time and this kid wasn't a dragon. He heard what sounded like sad meows coming from the other side of the door and slowly opened it with curiosity.

There stood a little lynx girl meowing sadly. "No one will buy my cookies." She gave Maximus the sad kitten look that all lynx children learn by instinct. In fact he used it quite often when he was little. "Now I'll have to go back to the orphanage and tell that mean lady that I couldn't sell the cookies. I'm a bad girl and no one will want to adopt me."

Maximus was about to say something, but he felt like he was being watched. Sure enough that annoying gossipy reporter, Exa Jerada, was standing there watching. "Don't mind me," Exa grinned mischievously. "I'll just stand here quietly and watch as Maximus IQ helps a good cause. Oh, yeah and I'll also publish the video to trash your super villain reputation for money."

Before Maximus could say anything the cute little kitten girl looked at Exa and her expression changed. She no longer looked like an innocent little girl, but had a look of pure evil in her face. She showed her sharp fangs and claws as she approached Exa, who slowly backed away. "Listen lady, back off and leave my client alone!" She hissed and looked like she was about to jump on Exa and tare her apart.

The blue alien reporter knew when it was time to run for her life and this was definitely a good time. Once Exa was gone, the girl walked back to Maximus, scaring him with her evil look. Then she smiled sweetly, as all traces of evil disappeared from her face.

"How did you do that? When I was little and tried to look evil, it never came out right!" Maximus was in shock.

"What can I say? I have natural talent," the girl bragged.

"You're not really a little orphan girl are you?" Maximus asked.

"Nope, I'm a super villain in training and I'm selling cookies to buy weapons of mass destruction." The girl spoke with so much sweetness in her voice, it made it sound very creepy.

"Why didn't you say so? It's good to see young super villains working so hard to achieve their goals. I'm sure someday you'll be a professional. Those cookies aren't poisoned are they?" Maximus asked.

"No, that would blow my sweet little girl cover and besides if I kill my clients, I can't over charge them for cookies the next day and that means I lose money," the girl reasoned.

"Good point," Maximus agreed. "Well since it's for an evil cause, I'll buy some cookies."

xoxox xox xoxox

When Chef Bernadette heard about the purchased cookies, she wasn't too happy about that. "I spend hours baking cookies and then you go and buy them?"

"But it was for an evil cause!" Maximus tried to explain.

"Since when are you interested in cooperating for causes?" Bernadette argued.

"That little girl was creepy. If she comes back I'll pretend I'm not home," Maximus decided.

xoxox xox xoxox

Meanwhile on Earth, Betty was once again selling candy to support her school. However, this time her dad was away in a business trip and couldn't help her and her mom was too busy spoiling Purrsey. Worse yet, Penelope had her father hire a professional to sell her candy and every house Betty visited already had candy from Penelope. Not even her Galactic Guardian sales speech was working now.

Betty wondered if someone somewhere in the universe was feeling as annoyed as her. But she wasn't going to give up; no way was Penelope going to beat her. Betty couldn't let her win; then she got an idea that was crazy enough to work.

xoxox xox xoxox

Once again someone stood at Maximus' door. For a minute he was afraid it was that creepy villain girl but it wasn't her. Instead there was a green alien girl of Sparky's species with red hair in a pony tail. "Hi, I'm selling candy. Wanna buy some?" Her speech was simple and to the point. There was a moment of silence in which Betty wondered just what she was doing there.

Maximus thought about it, Bernadette was still offended about the cookies and refused to make any sweets. Who knows how long her mood swing would last, so he better stock up on sweets. "Only if they're really good" Maximus finally answered, much to Betty's surprise.

"I'll let you try one," Betty offered. Even if he didn't buy any in the end, she was curious to know what he thought of the candy that was secretly from Earth.

Maximus ate the candy, "this is good, I'll buy them all!"

xoxox xox xoxox

It took a quick trip to the black market after that to exchange the universal currency into Earth currency, specifically from Canada. Betty couldn't do this at a space bank, since Earth currency wasn't supposed to be found in space, being Earth a pre-contact planet. But sometimes you have to bend the rules to win. Besides, Penelope was already bending the rules her own way. At least Betty actually sold the candy in person instead of hiring someone to do it and there was no established geological area for the sales anyway.

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 65: Thorn

The light sabers crashed against each other again, making the bright lights brighter. It was red against green, a villain and a hero. The hero was clearly in control of the duel so far. They were both trapped in a room of an ancient temple in the middle of a jungle, where they searched for a hidden treasure. After falling into a trap and ending up stuck together in that room, they occupied their time in a duel of light sabers. Outside, their allies good and evil, tried to find a way to free their respective leader, but it might take a while to figure out how this ancient place worked.

The stone walls were very old, but held up strong and firm. Nature had taken over the temple, even if the temple didn't give in. The walls were covered in several different kinds of alien plants that climbed up the walls to the ceiling from between the stone tiles of the floor. A few long vines fell from the openings on the roof almost, touching the floor. Most those plants were long and thin, some had flowers, some had leaves and some had thorns.

The battle continued, neither of them paying attention to the scenery, instead focused on the other's movements. The light sabers crashed against each other over and over again. The Galactic Guardian moved faster now. The villain also increased the speed of his movements. They ran forward and backwards, jumping over rocks and dodging vegetation, as their battle continued. The room was quite large with plenty of space for their duel, even if it contained many natural obstacles.

They moved faster and faster, as if wanting to end the battle soon. They continued until Maximus tripped over a stone and to avoid falling, he held on to one of the long vines that fell from the roof. That specific vine didn't have leaves or flowers, it had thorns. Immediately feeling the pain of his mistake, Maximus let go of the vine as he regained his balance. He dropped the light saber and held his injured hand in the other.

Atomic Betty stood there for a moment, watching the feline's odd behavior. He had dropped his weapon and sounded as if he was in pain. The light from the green light saber disappeared as she deactivated it and placed the handle back on her belt. "What happened?"

"Thorn," Maximus attempted to remove the thorn from his hand but it hurt too much.

"Let me see," Betty slowly approached.

"No!" Maximus stepped away.

"Just let me see." Betty grabbed his hand by the wrist and examined the injury. The thorn was rather large, about an inch long and a little blood was visible. "I can get it out, it's not that bad."

"It doesn't look that bad to you, because it's not on your hand!" Maximus pulled away and attempted to remove the thorn himself but the pain stopped him.

"Let me get it out," Betty insisted. He looked at her for a moment. "I'll try to make it so it doesn't hurt." It wasn't a guarantee but at least it was something.

"Fine," he extended his hand to her.

It was hard to believe she was actually doing this. First they were having a light saber duel and now there she was removing a thorn from his hand. He didn't look as evil as he did a while ago now he just stood there looking away, as if not seeing the thorn being removed would make it less painful. She took his hand and gently removed the thorn. "There, it's gone now," she tossed the thorn away.

Maximus let out a "meouch," when the thorn was removed. "I thought you said it wouldn't hurt!"

"I said I would try to make it so it doesn't hurt and I did try," Betty corrected.

"You didn't try hard enough," he complained.

She blew at his hand as one does when a small injury stings, "better?"

"I suppose I can survive," Maximus looking at the small cut that was left where the thorn was. He walked over to pickup his light saber from the floor and noticed something he had not seen before. Atomic Betty looked in the direction he was looking and saw a secret passage. She looked at where the thorny branch Maximus had pulled was and saw the stone block it was attached to was a little lower than the rest of the ceiling. "I found it it's mine!" Maximus ran to the secret passage.

Betty followed and at the end of the small dark passage, they came to a room with a treasure chest. The chest was already opened and empty. "Looks like someone beat us to it."

"This can't be! I didn't come all the way here, risked my life and got seriously injured for nothing!" Maximus took a closer look at the treasure chest. In a corner of the chest, he found a shiny coin. The metal it was made of reflected all the colors of the rainbow in the little light that came in the room by the openings on the missing parts of the ceiling.

Betty's bracelet chimed and she answered it, while Maximus was busy with his shiny rare coin. "Atomic Betty reporting for duty!"

"Atomic Betty, we have just received news that Infantor took the treasure you were sent to retrieve and is using the coins as board game pieces. You must recover those priceless ancient coins and bring them safely to the museum!" Admiral Degill said.

"I'm on my way!" Atomic Betty saluted.

"I heard that!" Maximus said.

"I know, I guess it's a race to see who takes the treasure from Infantor first?" Betty snatched the coin away from Maximus. "I'll have to take this," then she ran off, back over the secret passage.

"Give that back!" Maximus followed her, yelling about how he found the passage and he found the coin, so he should keep it.

As they reached the room where their light saber duel took place, Sparky, X-5 and Minimus had already found a way to free them. "Sparky, X-5 the treasure isn't here let's go!" Atomic Betty ran out of the ancient temple with her crew following her.

"Hurry Minimus, after them!" Maximus ran out as well, followed by his sidekick.

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 66: Frozen Beauty (SolovemxIciclea)

Glittery ice was left as she walked, marking the path she took. She was in search of something, something that would solve all her troubles, or at least one of them. Ice crystals like mirrors reflected the light. Where once was a single magical fire torch lighting the room dimly, now there is an entire constellation of stars. A galaxy was forming as the magical fire survived the cold and reflected its light upon the mirror of ice. That crystal reflected the light on another and another and the result was the shiny reflection of many stars.

He watched from the darkness. Few shadows were left after the room was covered in light, but where there's light there always a shadow and there is no shadow without light. The wizards have been ordered to stay out of this. He would take care of the stranger himself, yet he only watched as if waiting for her to do something that would indicate what her intentions were. She possessed powerful magic, concentrated in one element, ice. She handled the scepter elegantly and gracefully shaped the ice into anything she wanted. But what was her purpose to be there?

She continued searching around. The place looked deserted and she wondered why. She had a strange feeling, as if someone was watching her from the shadows. She entered the next room and once again found nothing but a lonely torch of magical fire as the only light. This time her creation was different. Ice, snow and icy crystals reflecting the light like mirrors, but not as much light as in her previews creation. This was something different, the aurora. The light changed colors, reflecting off the wall which was covered in a thin layer of ice, not too much, not too little, just enough to make the aurora shine.

He watched her quietly. He watched her play with her magic like a child wizard. He watched her create a beautiful work of art in the castle of a stranger. Her art would be gone by the next day, melted away. Yet she did it anyway. Maybe she thought it was strange that no one came to stop her and thought that this might catch the castle owner's attention. Then a confrontation, if there was going to be any, would happen and be over with, or she would be welcomed into the castle. She gave away such beauty to the eyes of a stranger, a galaxy, the aurora, her own reflection.

Examining her surroundings once more, paying close attention to the few dark corners, Iciclea didn't find anyone and continued her walk around the castle. She couldn't see past the shadow of dark magic that hid the wizard watching her, yet she knew that someone was watching, she knew for certain now, she felt it. Maybe the one watching her was amused by her little works of art. A castle crabbed from ice. An entire miniature city with its people made of ice alone, yet it looked so real. She was in a playful mood now, wanting to entertain her unknown companion.

Light shows and sculptures all very beautiful. Why did she come? Was she just going to play with her magic and leave? He continued watching more curiously by the second, wondering what she would do next. Did she know she was being watched? Surely he was hidden by his magic, but did she somehow know? He watched quietly from the darkness. If he came out the show may stop and he wanted to watch more.

The next room she entered had more light, but was still a little dark. Four torches with magical fire burned, one on every wall. A few snowflakes began to appear dancing around her, carried by the non-existent wind, so small and delicate, yet so detailed in design. The mirror-like icy snow flakes reflected the little light of the room glowing, and there she was, on the center of the frozen beauty.

One small snow flake fell near his hiding place. The darkness covering him started to fade away. He watched her as she danced, creating more snowflakes that flew around her. The snowflakes floated in the air, carried by her magic. Then she saw him, but she didn't stop. The room was filled with magic, a different kind of magic.

"Enjoyed the show?" Iciclea finally asked.

Solovem nodded. "I have enjoyed it very much. Why do you give away such art?"

"Why not? I have all I need to endlessly create what you saw," she smiled.

"What is your name?" He asked.

"Iciclea, and you are?" She inquired.

"Solovem," he replied. "What is it that you seek in my castle, beautiful lady?"

"You see the ice that I have created? It will melt away and so will my beauty without the montigo berries," Iciclea revealed.

"I understand and I can help you solve this. Come this way." They headed up one of the many staircases of the dark castle and reached a room with many potions on the shelves that reached the tall ceiling. "Here it is," Solovem made a bottle float to his hand using his magic. "This will make you look as you do now for the rest of your life."

Iciclea quickly created a mirror of ice. She had used a large amount of montigo berries recently and still looked young and beautiful. Perfect, now was the time to use that potion. She extended her hand to take the bottle but she stopped. "What do you want in return?"

"Stay, stay here in Mortavio," Solovem handed her the bottle.

She looked at him, then at the bottle and drank its content feeling the effect immediately. She still looked young and beautiful and she somehow knew she didn't need the montigo berries anymore. "I can't."

"Why not?" He asked.

"I don't fit in here, it's too warm, but thank you." Iciclea turned to leave and stopped at the door. "I'll come back, even if it's warm, I'll come to see you," she smiled.

Solovem returned the gesture, if she was willing to return from time to time, that would be enough, "I will be waiting."

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 67: Dear Door

Noah's Point of View

They say that when you're with the one you love, the world looks different. They say you see things that you never noticed before, but for me it's the other way around. I never noticed this little scratch at the bottom of Betty's door before. I guess maybe I never had so much time on my hands that I would notice such small details. I have nothing better to do while I wait in front of her house, so I pass the time looking at the door, staring at it. I've spent a lot of time staring at this door, usually from the inside, waiting for Betty to return from who knows where, even if she said she would be home, but it's such a nice sunny day today I decided to wait outside.

I wonder where you got that scratch dear door, my only companion. Was it Purrsey? Did he do this to you? The scratch is about the right size to have come from a cat. Poor, poor door... Okay, this is getting weird. I really need to occupy my mind before I go insane. Why is it that Betty always goes off to an unknown place? Where does she go anyway? I've tried searching but never find her. Does she just disappear into thin air then magically reappears later?

The sun is starting to slowly fade away and dark clouds are covering the sky. It looks like the nice sunny day is gone and it might start to rain soon. I wonder if Betty's mother remembers I'm out here or if she forgot, or thinks I went home already, after all it's been hours. You know Betty doesn't want to be with me, don't you door? I wish someone would come and talk to me, then I wouldn't have to sit here mentally talking to Betty's door. I think I'll get up and go for a walk to stretch my legs. I don't care if I get caught in the rain, a cold can't possibly make things worse when I'm feeling as bad as I humanly can.

Actually, forget the walk, I'm going home. It might not make a difference to Betty if she remembers our plans or not. It might not make a difference to Betty is she's one hour late, or five hours late, or doesn't show up at all. But if I'm going to wait for her to care, I might as well drop dead here and now. I'm going home. I've made many sacrifices for her, grades, possible friends, family reunions; more things than I can count. Plus I have gotten a few colds waiting in the rain outside the movie theater, beside the bus stop, in the park, all over Moose Jaw Heights.

Dear door,
This is such a bore,
Where did she go?
Waiting is not my chore.

Dear door,
I'm in love to the core,
So I sit on the floor,
Waiting for her to show.

Dear door,
What is it I wait for?
The rain stars to pour,
Thunder starts to roar.

Dear door,
Nobody's keeping score,
But I'm washed up on the shore,
Waiting is such a snore.

Dear door,
Now I'm wet and I'm sore,
I thought she's be here for sure,
"I won't be late," she swore.

Dear door,
My heart to pieces she tore,
I've forgotten the smile I wore,
When I thought my hearts was yours.

Dear door,
I thought "it's her I adore,"
But that was before,
Now it feels like we're at war.

Dear door,
Another place I must explore,
From now on I will ignore,
Our friendship won't be restored.

Dear door,
I've been waiting for so long,
Dear door,
I can't take it anymore,

End of Noah's POV

Betty's Point of View

I'm late again and this time we were supposed to meet in my own house! I hope Noah's still there. I'm beamed down to my room and go check the living room where he usually waits. Finally I see him outside; he just started to walk away. "Noah!" I call out opening the front door.

He heads back and just stands there in the rain, even if I already stepped aside for him to come in. "I can't believe you," he says upset. I don't think he's ever been this angry at me before. "What is this, some kind of game you're playing with me for your own amusement?" I'm surprised by his words, I've left him waiting before, but he has never been this upset. "Hiding in your room while I'm waiting outside in the rain? Your mother said you weren't home, did she think you were out or did you convince her to help you?"

Then the reality sinks in. I was beamed down to my room and came looking for him in a hurry. I can't really tell him I used the backdoor, that wouldn't explain why I'm not wet. "I just arrived and went to change into dry clothes," I lie hoping he will believe it.

"How did you enter the house? Did you use a window?" He asks suspiciously.

"I used he backdoor, you know there is one," I say a little too quickly, without giving it too much thought.

My answer only makes him angrier. "That's impossible because before I came to sit outside your mother tried to keep me entertained, she talked about random things and mentioned that the backdoor's lock was broken and the door was stuck."

"It's fixed now," I quickly say. It's not like I can't distract him for a second then blast off the lock with a small laser my bracelet comes equipped with.

At the very moment my mother walks by and the disaster takes a turn for the worse. "Betty you're home, well don't just stand there you two, come in before you catch a cold! Did I tell you the backdoor is stuck? I was hoping your father could fix it but he won't b back from his business trip for a few days so maybe you can take a look at it later. I tried to get it to open but couldn't, maybe you'll have a better idea."

The glare Noah directed at me was worse then how most super villains look at me. He never glares at anyone, not even Penelope. "Sorry, I have to go," he left, he just left, running in the rain. I can't really blame my mother, she didn't know what was going on, but that's just it, when your life has a secret this big and you can't tell anyone, then there's no one there to back you up and it's not like I can call Granny every time something like this happens.

"Betty close the door," my mother, gently removed my hand from the doorknob and closed it. "It's alright, you two can work on that project later; you don't have to stare at the door as if you just saw a ghost." The sound of the rain grows weaker and the last few raindrops fall. "Let's go take a look at that backdoor now." My mother guides me to the backdoor and I quietly follow. I want to fix things with Noah, I don't want to lose him like I lost Dylan, but I can't go after him now. What will I say?

When I face him, I need to have a very good explanation, or rather a very good excuse. I wonder how Granny managed to have a relationship while being a Galactic Guardian. Noah and I have never been on a real date, we've always gone out as friends and more often than not I couldn't go, or arrived ridiculously late. I'm not even sure I can keep a friendship anymore. I'll have to talk to Granny about this later, because I'll need a lot of advice.

End of Betty's POV

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 68: Ghost

It was a stormy night in outer space. There was an electric space storm passing near Maximus' lair. "Achu!" Chef Bernadette sneezed for what felt like the millionth time. Too tired to go any further, Bernadette went to a guest room in Maximus lair and tried to get some rest. Maybe things would be better in the morning.

xoxox xox xoxox

Meanwhile, in a large living room. "Minimus! Tell Chef Bernadette to prepare some kind of expensive snack worthy of me," Maximus sat on a large comfy couch in front of a TV. There was a horror movie playing today, supposedly a good one with ghosts and all that stuff.

"But the chef doesn't feel well, remember?" Minimus reminded him.

"Great, just when I needed a good snack," Maximus complained. "Go find something in the kitchen!"

xoxox xox xoxox

As Minimus entered the kitchen there was a loud noise like an explosion and everything went black. Lightning had hit the lair's generator, making it short circuit. "Ooowwww," Minimus heard a spooky voice.

"Your evilness is that you?" Both his faces kept their eyes open for any sign of Maximus, but found none. It was too dark to see anything.

"Ooooowwww," there was the spooky voice again.

Forgetting all about Maximus' snack, Minimus quickly ran back to the living room. "Your evilness I heard a ghost!" But no one answered. "Boss?" He couldn't see in the darkness, but he was pretty sure he had taken all the right turns and returned to the living room where Maximus was. Minimus gulped. "That ghost already ate him," his normal face said. "Good now the ghost is full and won't eat me," his angry face added.

"Oooww!" Minimus nearly jumped a mile upon hearing the spooky voice again. Unknown to him, it was only Chef Bernadette who couldn't sleep and came down to the kitchen in search of a cooking book to read and got lost in the dark. In the darkness, Chef Bernadette tripped and in an effort not to fall, she held on to a white curtain, but pulled it off the window. Minimus stayed perfectly still hoping the ghost would just go away.

xoxox xox xoxox

Meanwhile, "I'm not scared, I'm not scared, I'm a brave super villain, I'm not scared," Maximus repeated to himself while he made his way to the main control panel to turn on the emergency power. He found the switch in the darkness and sighed in relief when the lights came back on.

xoxox xox xoxox

The lights flickered and came back on, then Minimus saw it, the ghost! "Ah!" Both his faces screamed at the same time and he ran away as fast as he could, leaving Bernadette trying to get the curtain off.

xoxox xox xoxox

Another loud noise outside was heard, it was another explosion. Another short circuit happened, cutting off the emergency power. "Minimus!" Maximus called his sidekick, he would never admit to being scared, not even to himself, but he kept calling Minimus anyway. "Minimus!"

xoxox xox xoxox

Minimus thought he heard Maximus, but his voice was so far away. "He's been taken to the spirit world!" Minimus yelled in terror as he ran away faster. He didn't know where he was going, he just ran.

xoxox xox xoxox

"Minimus is that you?" Bernadette finally won the battle with the curtain, but Minimus was nowhere to be found. Maybe it was best to go back to bed.

Xoxox xox xoxox

Running non-stop, Minimus knocked over a base, the sound of broken glass echoing in the quiet of the night, reaching Maximus' ears. Could there be an intruder in his lair? With the power out, the security system didn't work, so maybe someone found a way in. Maximus would catch the intruder by surprise, but he had to be prepared. He searched around knocking several things over in the process, until he found a flashlight and a laser gun, then went in search of the intruder.

Maximus walked slowly, examining his surroundings carefully and watching out for a possible hiding place where the supposed intruder could be. However, the flashlight wasn't working very well since Maximus had accidentally dropped it before and the batteries were loose. As he pointed the flashlight in another direction the sudden movement made the batteries slide out of place and the light was gone.

Minimus turned a corner and now made his way around the lair slowly, following his hand in the wall, he had already tripped several times from the running and didn't want to trip again. Maximus shook the flashlight trying to make it work, the sudden flashes of light scared Minimus. "Ah!" Both his faces screamed again.

"Ah!" Maximus screamed at the same time. Startled by Minimus, Maximus tossed the flashlight and the laser gun into the air. Fortunately the laser gun didn't go off when it landed, but when the flashlight hit the floor the batteries were pushed back into place and the light came back on. "Minimus!"

"Your evilness, you're alive! I thought the ghost ate you and took your soul to the spirit world!" Minimus ran to Maximus, only to be hit on the head when he got there.

"That's what you get for sneaking up on me!" Maximus said angrily. His little sidekick gave him quite a scare, even if he would never admit it.

"Ow," Minimus held his head.

"Ooooowwww," a voice was heard.

"Quit complaining Minimus, I didn't even hit you that hard," Maximus was annoyed, assuming the complaint came from Minimus.

But Minimus was shaking like a jelly, "that wasn't me!"

"Oooowwwww!" The voice was heard again. Maximus pointed the flashlight in different directions, searching for the source of the voice, but the fast movements caused the batteries to slip out of place again and it all went dark. "Ooooowwwww!"

As the electric space storm left, the lair's main computer which was working on backup battery, detected that the conditions were no longer considered to be risky for a short circuit and automatically activated the secondary emergency power generator, which Maximus forgot he had, causing the light to come back on.

"Achu!" Chef Bernadette sneezed loudly, then stared at Maximus who was very pale, hugging Minimus nearly choking him. "Don't you people ever sleep? I have a killer head ache! Achu!"

Maximus dropped Minimus. "It was you making that sound all along? There was no ghost or intruder, it was you," Maximus repeated, as if to convince himself.

"Ghost? Why would there be a ghost here, if they even exist," Bernadette sniffed and tried to suppress a sneeze, but it didn't work and she sneezed anyway. "What intruder could have gotten in with that storm outside? No one in their right mind would be out there. Achu!" After that, the chef returned to the guest room to get some rest.

"What should we do now your evilness?" Minimus wondered if Maximus still wanted to stay up watching TV and ordering him around.

The movie must be over by now with all the time they spent wondering around the darkness of the lair. "It's late, I'm going to sleep," Maximus headed off to his room.

"Okay, good night," Minimus went off to his own room to get some rest too.

xoxox xox xoxox

Maximus got comfortable in his large soft bed and closed his eyes. He was about to fall asleep when he heard a voice "Aberdeffia..."

Maximus opened his eyes and saw a thin line of light coming in from under the closed door. The voice sounded different, but people always sound different when they have a bad cold. He went back to sleep assuming that it was Bernadette asking about some kind of cold medicine called Aberdeffia, Minimus could go find it if they had any of that.

xoxox xox xoxox

The ghost captain had left his ship to search for Aberdeffia instead of waiting for her to return. He was beginning to think it wasn't such a good idea, so far he hasn't been able to find her or a single clue as to where she could be. Then he got caught in that storm and had to seek shelter in Maximus' lair. Sure he was a ghost, but not even ghosts like being out in electric space storms.

No one had seen the ghost captain searching for Aberdeffia and since he didn't find her, he headed back to his ship, concluding that it was best to simply wait for her there. Even if there really had been a ghostly presence there that night, no one ever knew.

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 69: Galactic Fur Ball

For Betty it was another afternoon at home with Purrsey. Her father was away on a business trip and her mother had gone off to the hair salon and most likely won't be back for a long time. She could go somewhere, but it wasn't as fun alone. Due to her constant disappearances, her friends started making plans without her.

What good was it inviting Betty if she wouldn't show up, left after just a few minutes, or arrives when it was almost time to leave. Noah was starting to think Betty just didn't like spending time with him anymore and the one day when everything was calm, she was the one who couldn't find him.

Noah was probably off somewhere with some of their classmates, some other friends. Maybe he didn't even want to be found, Betty didn't know for sure, but she didn't go search. If Noah didn't invite her, then he didn't want her around.

Betty sighed sadly and turned off the TV after changing channels for a while and finding nothing good to watch. She was starting to feel excluded on Earth, but at least she still had her friends from space. As if on cue, her bracelet chimed and Betty answered it, saluting like she always did. "Atomic Betty reporting for duty!"

"Good afternoon Atomic Betty, there are no missions at the moment, I just wanted to remind you about tonight's ball," Admiral Degill said. It was the annual Galactic Guardian's ball that night.

"How could I forget? I'll be there." It was too bad Betty couldn't invite Noah or Dylan to go with her, but she wasn't going to miss out. She would just go to bed early that day, saying she was really tired, lock her room's door and call Sparky to beam her up. She would probably be sleepy the next day, but the ball would be fun and all her friends from space would be there. "How are the preparations going?"

"Everything is going well, Sparky and X-5 are here right now, helping with the decorations," as Degill said this X-5 could be heard in the background telling Sparky the snacks were for later. To which Sparky answered that he was only testing them to make sure they where good enough to be served at the ball.

Betty smiled thinking about how she could spend the afternoon. "Need any help? I'm not doing anything right now."

"All help is very welcomed, we're running a little behind schedule," Degill admitted. "I'll tell Sparky to pick you up; he'll be there in a few minutes."

Unknown to Betty, Purrsey was watching. He wanted was to find that big gold fish in the picture. The little gold fish Betty had in her room was nothing compared to that one. But instead he was chased around by that monster. The first time Purrsey followed Betty he met some interesting people.

There was that golden metallic creature, unlike the monster that had chased him, that one was nicer. The green boy who sneezed, a strange creature with two faces whom Purrsey thought was mean and there was that big cat person. He was like a cat but also like a human, Purrsey liked him, he liked people who were nice to him and give him lots of attention.

Soon, Sparky arrived to take Betty to the Galactic Guardians Headquarters and once again Sir Purrsefus was beamed up with her. Inevitably, Sparky's allergies kicked in full force and they almost crashed into HQ, if not because Betty took control of the Starcruiser just in time.

"I believe you have contracted a space virus," X-5 theorized.

Sparky let out another big sneeze. "That can't be, the ball is tonight!"

"Space viruses don't care about balls," X-5 pointed out, "snd besides, it's not like you have a date."

"And you have one?" Sparky sneezed again.

"As a matter of fact I do," X-5 replied calmly.

Betty asked as the three exited the ship. "It's that robot girl who was with the princess right? From when we helped her cross the desert?"

"That is correct," X-5 confirmed.

"No fair! How come I ah-achu! How come I don't have a date?" Sparky asked.

"It's okay Sparky, I don't have a date either," Betty revealed, just as Atomic Rodger waked by.

'Atomic Betty doesn't have a date? This is perfect; I'll ask her to be my date!' Rodger thought. But he wouldn't ask right away, he wanted to wait for the right moment.

After they were far enough from Purrsey, Sparky's allergies stopped and they were able to start helping with the preparations for the ball that night.

xoxox xox xoxox

Purrsey left the ship and started to explore that strange place. The Galactic Guardians didn't think the unusual and cute little creature presented a threat. They assumed he was a pet of some sort, from a distant planet. Some of them even petted Purrsey as he walked by.

Purrsey's curious exploration brought him to Degill's office, where the admiral was currently at his desk taking on the video phone about the cake delivery, because any and every form of party needed to have cake.

After the call was over, Degill noticed Purrsey looking at him. He hoped off the desk and waked over to him. "Hello there, where did you come from?"

Degill tried to pet Purrsey but the cat tried to bite the admiral. Purrsey hissed and tried to tackle Degill. The gold fish admiral quickly jumped out of the way and Purrsey chased him.

"Stop that this instant or I'll be forced to use force!" Degill warned, but this strange creature, that for some unknown reason reminded him of Maximus, didn't appear to understand. With amazing feline speed Purrsey picked up Degill on his mouth and carried him to a corner, where he sat down to eat in peace.

A window was suddenly opened and someone entered the room. Purrsey attempted to hide Degill but it was too late. The person removed a black clocked coving her and there stood none other then Pontifadora. Purrsey slowly approached the fish woman. He didn't care about Degill anymore, this fish was much bigger. "Who's your friend Gilly?" Pontifadora picked up Purrsey, which scared him, fish are not supposed to pick up cats. But she petted him and Purrsey calmed down. Maybe not all fish are meant to be eaten. "This is a cute little creature."

"That cute little creature tried to eat me!" Degill pointing to the scratches he had received from Sir Purrsefus.

"Admiral Degill," Betty already knew of Degill secretly getting back together with Pontifadora. She was going to be his date at the ball, with a disguise of course. "The cake is here and you need to sign the delivery form. Hi Pontifadora," Betty noticed Pontifadora was holding Purrsey. "Purrsey?"

"You know that annoying miniature Maximus? Er I mean, do you know that um... cute little feline specimen?" Admiral Degill forced a smile.

"Yes," Betty replied. "He's my mother's pet, he must have been beamed up along with me. Sorry about that."

"It's alright, don't worry too much about it," Degill skipped the part about Purrsey trying to eat him. "I better go sign those delivery forms," he hastily left the office.

"I guess you'll need to take the little cutie back," Pontifadora gave Purrsey to Betty. The cat didn't like this, but Betty managed to hold on to him. "Yeah, I better take him home."

xoxox xox xoxox

So far during the course of the afternoon, Rodger had tried to ask Betty to the ball several times, but someone always interrupted while they decorated, asking Betty to hold this or move that and so on.

Rodger saw her walking to the Starcruiser with Sparky who, for some reason unknown to Rodger had his space helmet on, even if there was plenty of oxygen inside the headquarters. This could be his last chance to ask Betty to the ball, Rodger couldn't wait for the perfect moment any more.

"So I was thinking," Rodger heard Sparky say. "Since we're both dateless and all, maybe we can go together."

"Sure," Betty accepted. Then she noticed Rodger following them. "Hi Rodger, did you want to say something?"

"I... ah... well... Not really. Um... nice cat. I'm going to finish getting everything ready, see you later," Rodger he walked away.

"Okay, see ya!" Betty was sure Rodger had something to say, but maybe it wasn't that important if it could wait.

xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox xox xoxox

Planet 70: Silver Lining

Betty got up from her bed and glanced at the alarm clock turning it off after unconsciously hitting the snooze button who knows how many times. "Oh, no I'll be late!" She rushed out of the room. It was Monday morning, time to move back into her dorm and continue her stressful collage life.

Betty went to visit her parents and her grandmother every weekend and returned to the dorm on Monday morning. It was the only way to get to her classes on time without teleporting or using space technology that could get her into trouble if discovered.

At least she had the dorm room all to herself now that Penelope moved into an overprized apartment near the campus. They got on each other's nerves constantly while they were forced to share the room. It was like a war zone in there.

End of Solar System VIII

Disclaimer, I don't own Atomic Betty. I wrote the poems that go with the stories. Planet 67, like most others in this collection, was written before season 3 aired. Planet 68 was inspired by the episode of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends where Bloo catches a cold and turns white. Planet 69 is based on the episode Fur Ball for the Sneeze.