Other Fan Fiction ❯ Camping ❯ Camping ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Camping
by ~bulma-th-babe

Title: Camping (creative right?  -.-)
Author:  geniusinmotion
 
Theme: 196 Camping
Rating: PG
Length: 400-ish words
Summary: Inspired by  hitlikehammers series of drabbles, where you take the first line of a book every ten pages. Currently the book is Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Quote will be in bold with the story to follow.


"The rich smells of spitted meat floated over everything." Pg. 20


"Why are we here again?" Tony asked for probably the hundredth time, as he held up his cell phone. He'd never really realized that negative reception was possible before now. The bars seemed to be flickering between not-a-snowball's-chance-in-hell and better-hope-you-don't-have-to-make-an-emergency-call.

Pepper gave him a tolerant little smile, before snatching the phone away and putting it in her bag.
 

"Because," she stated over his protests, "you need to get out of that lair of your's from time to time and I needed a break too. Long weekends are made for these kind of trips. It's beautiful out here. Very relaxing." She moved a little closer to the fire, to ward off the chill of the desert night and watched the flames flicker.

"It's not a lair," Tony protested. "It's a highly civilized workshop."

Pepper shook her head. "That's just your cover story. It's no different than any other guy's man cave. Maybe a few more gadgets but it still smells like booze and gym socks. It'd smell even worse if I didn't come clear the plates and soda cans out every."

"Motor oil. Can't forget that smell." Tony muttered. "I just don't see the point in coming all the way out here to the desert. If you were all set on the desert, we could have gone to Vegas or something. I mean there is nothing out here. If the cold doesn't get us first, the coyotes and vultures will." He grumbled.

Tony looked around at the Tonto National Forest in the fading light. He had to admit that it was different. Forest was a bit of a stretch. Giant cactus and shrubs did not, in his opinion, a forest make. He realized though, the reason Pepper had picked it was because of the lack of civilization. No cellphones, no electricity, the nearest town, if one could call a General Store and a couple houses that, was 20 miles away.

"The point was to spend some time together." Pepper stated, shaking out a sleeping bag and securing the mosquito netting on the tent. "You can either contemplate the probability of encountering the local wildlife, or you can come keep me warm." she said with a shrug, a small smile gracing her features as she crawled into the sleeping bag.

Tony didn't hesitate. "Maybe I can get used to the camping thing."