Other Fan Fiction ❯ Familiar ❯ Familiar ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter One
 
The sun rose as the brunette tiredly got out of bed. It was her job to tend to the farm since her family passed away. She wasn't alone, though. She had one friend that helped her everyday. His name was Zash. They've known each other for a very long time. In fact, Valaina doesn't remember when they first met.
 
Oh yea, Zash is a wolf.
 
Valaina got dressed in her usual white long sleeved shirt, deep violet knee length dress and boots. She put her apron on and went outside. It took her electric blue eyes a couple moments to adjust to the night sky. It doesn't matter though. She knows the whole farm like the back of her hand. She got to the barn and lit an oil lamp. Valaina strode over to the food pantry and picked up the chicken feed.
 
“Great,” Valaina mumbled to herself, “out of chicken feed again.” She dropped the burlap bag and slumped onto a bale of hay. Zash trotted in and sniffed the bag of feed. “It's all gone Zash. None left,” she told him. He took the bag in his mouth and put his front paws on Valaina. “I told you already, there's nothing in there.” She took the bag from Zash's mouth. It felt full! “What? But it was-“ Valaina looked at Zash. His amber eyes were unblinking. She took the bag and left the barn.
 
It isn't the first time something like that has happened. The shock just eventually wore off. Food re-supplied itself, things appeared out of thin air, Valaina never ran out of money, and Zash appeared and never left her.
 
~~~~~~~
 
 
When Valaina finished feeding her animals and milking her cow, she decided to visit her other friend. Her human friend, Lori. As Valaina walked through the village, she got the same weird looks. It was because of Zash. He went everywhere with her, of course. He was a wolf so naturally the villagers were frightened.
 
“Don't worry about it Zash.” Valaina told her canine buddy. “They just don't understand.” Finally they came to Lori's small, but warm home. Valaina knocked on the door.
 
 
“Come on in sweetie,” Lori's mom hollered. Valaina always came around this time so she always knew who it was.
 
“Good morning” Valaina said with her big airy smile. Zash barked his hello as well. Lori's mom jumped at the bark. Though she always allowed Zash in the house, she disapproved of the loud noise he made.
 
“I think Lori is still asleep dear, why don't you go wake her up”
 
“Thanks! Let's go Zash,” Valaina said and the two jogged to far side of the cottage.
 
They barged through Lori's door and Zash immediately jumped onto Lori's bed and licked her face.
 
“Alright, alright! I'm up already!” Lori whined while trying to push Zash off herself. Lori had short red hair, green eyes, and normally wore a white shirt with three quarter length sleeves, dark blue corset, and a green ankle length skirt.
 
“I swear, if me and Zash weren't here, you'd sleep forever.” Valaina said, jumping onto Lori's bed.
 
“Well at least my face would be dry” Lori countered, petting Zash's head while he barked at her. “Hey now quiet down or my mom will have your head.” With that comment, Zash whimpered and hid under the bed. Both girls let out huge laughs.
 
“Lori, it happened again this morning.” Valaina told Lori as she dressed herself.
 
“So? I've told you my thoughts already, Val. You're either insane, or Zash is doing these things for you.” Lori said, “Now help me put this on.”
 
“Oh I don't know Lori,” Valaina said, lacing her friend's corset. “It's been happening ever since Zash came into my life. I think he does have something to do with it.” After Lori was dressed, the three left her room.
 
“Mother, we're going out okay?” Lori called to her mom
 
“Alright sweetie. Be back by dinner. Valaina dear you can stay as well.”
 
“Thanks!” she yelled, even though the three were already half way across the yard. Valaina, Zash, and Lori hurried off to their favorite, secret place in the forest.