Other Fan Fiction ❯ Gifted Moon Spinoff ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
After practicing her martial arts, Rinsi was already panting a bit, but she felt good, in spite of her stirring thoughts. The workout always made her feel good, and somehow confident. Next on her agenda was practicing her spells. She could work on the ones she knew, to control how much energy she consumed, but she wanted to figure out what dance was what spell. The one spell she wouldn't work on, though, was 'Starlight'.
Rinsi had begun spinning and dancing around with her lantern staff again, but to a different dance. The moon lantern dangled from its extension as she spun and bounced gracefully about, and as her body began to glow faintly again. However, she heard a twig snap nearby and turned to see who it was. Behind her she saw a young man, probably not far from her age. She smiled at him and waved him over.
Jason's eyes shot down as he snapped something that gained the girls attention. As part snake, he was usually stealthier than this. He rolled his eyes - eye, at himself, and moved forward when she beckoned him.
"Hey" he said, smiling to her.
"Hello!" Rinsi said cheerfully, "What's your name?"
Rinsi wasn't sure who this person was, but they looked interesting, and their little interruption did help clear her head a bit. That was exactly the thing she needed, to have her head cleared a bit.
"I'm Jason Slan" He told her happily. She was very up-beat, she was good in his book already. He asked the question back "What's your name?"
"Nice to meet you, Jason." Rinsi said cheerfully, "I'm Rinsi Starlight. Well, since you're here, I take it you have special abilities too. What are they?"
It's not that Rinsi was trying to be rude, but just that she was curious, and needed a bit of a distraction at the moment.
Rinsi was direct. Jason smiled and answered quickly.
"Well, I walk on my hands, and juggle - not at the same time, mind you, and I'm working on a trapeze act and I can do this--" Jason's torso fell backwards so he was on his hands and feet with his stomach upwards, and he went into a tumble and wound up back on his feet, "But I guess you probably mean my powers...I'm a snake demon! Snake form and poisons, you know.." He said with a grin, it faded slightly when he told her what his real powers were. He didn't intend to show her either of his powers right now - one, because it was hard to demonstrate a poison without poisoning someone and, two, he didn't want to give her a show when he came out of his animal form.
"Wow, really?!" Rinsi said excitedly, "A snake demon and a circus performer! Now THAT is talent! It must be really nifty!"
"Heh. Yeah, thanks!" Jason said, he did well to hide that he was a little bothered by being a circus performer, even though he loved what he could do and that he could entertain others.
"What about you?" Jason asked Rinsi, "I saw you dancing earlier..You're very good"
"Ah, thanks." Rinsi said, rubbing the back of her head sheepishly, "I was...er...trying out a dance I was taught to see what spell it was."
"A spell, huh?" Jason asked. He was sorry to have interrupted her. "I've never heard of dancing spells!"
Between all the fortune tellers and magicians and witches he'd met in the circus, he had never known any of them to perform spells that relied on dancing.
"Um, well, it's the only way I know how to perform most of my spells. I was taught them when I was young, but I was never told the dance was a spell. I just found out recently." Rinsi said sheepishly.
Jason thought about this for a bit. To teach a kid how to do something without telling her what might happen...
"That seems a little dangerous…" He told Rinsi, a brow raised. "How are you doing with them?"
"Yeah, it is." Rinsi said, trying not to let herself get serious, "Well, so far I've figured out my favorite dance is also the most powerful and energy draining one. I was just about to figure out what my second favorite dance was. You can watch if you want. I just hope it's not 'Gates of Heaven' though."
After leaving Rinsi, Jason continued to search around the school. He hadn't gone to the cafeteria yet, like he had intended to, so he sniffed the air. He was soon headed for the cafeteria, hunger starting to rumble in his belly.
After her visitor went his own way, Rinsi went back to her dances, trying to figure out which did which spell. As she dance and twirled as gracefully as a ballerina, she also spun and waved her staff around her. She felt happy in her dance, but also oddly peaceful. This feeling began to grow the more she danced, and she soon began to glow again. As Rinsi danced more, she felt more and more peaceful. Almost heavenly. She loved this feeling, and once again wanted everyone else to know this peace and happiness. It was as strong as Starlight, but different in a way. As she dance and spun, twirling her staff in pace with her dancing, she waited for the words to come to her that she would declare, finishing up the spell.
Rinsi knew she was approaching the completion of the dance, and would have felt worried that the name had not come to her yet, but she felt so happy and at peace that it didn't matter. She spun gracefully as a ballerina, and just as lightly. As the end came, two words whispered through her mind. They were not loud or begging, like with Starlight, but more like soft and loving almost. At the end of her dance, she fell to a kneeling position, folding her hands as if in prayer around her staff. Closing her eyes and smiling peacefully, she uttered those words, thus finishing the spell.
"Gates of Heaven." she said, in a voice she almost thought was not her own.
A light seemed to beam down from the heavens themselves and strike the ground. It was not harsh or harmful, but instead was soft and warm. The area around her glowed brightly, and began to grow outward, like ripples on a pond, until nearly the whole school grounds were covered with light. This light brought a feeling of peace and comfort she had never known before, and with it came a holy blessing that she knew would hurt the shadows and demons that resided in the school. She was immediately sorry, and bolted to her feet and jogged towards the school building. The first people she would check with were Ki'iro, Jason, and Nakya.

The room was not just dark. No, dark was like saying that the sun only gave a little light. This…darkness was complete; a complete absence of light, almost to the point of being oppressive. In this cold, hard darkness, a faint light shone, small and faint, in the middle of a tall, clear column. A figure sitting in front of the column - illuminated by this pale light barely enough to equal that of a single, small candle – opened it’s deep blue eyes slowly. It rubbed it’s eyes groggily with one hand and glanced up at the light, which was slowly spreading over a figure trapped in the crystal clear column, a figure dressed completely in black. The sitting figure stood up and placed it’s hand on the column, a faint smile barely visible in the nearly non-existent light, nearly hidden by unruly locks of dark hair.
“I guess it’s time, isn’t it?” the figure said in a rough, but playful, baritone voice.
“Indeed, it is.” Came the reply in a clear but ancient voice, not heard with the ears, but with the mind.
“Better hurry and wake up, sleepy head.
Without a single sound, not a single word, the room exploded with light, starting with the faint origin in the middle of the column. Light shone brightly off the crystal covered walls, ceiling and floor of a cavern, in which three such columns stood. The figures in each were blotted out with the intense light, which quickly filled the room until it would have blinded the normal person. The light flooded out of the singe cavern and into the adjacent cave until it, too, was full of a light so intense and pure that one might have thought it was a god of some sort waking, or opening a portal of some sort to visit the mortals of this planet. A single, clear voice came with it.
“She has awakened.”