Other Fan Fiction ❯ Gifted Moon Spinoff ❯ A Lesson in Manners ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
After consuming her own filling lunch – as well as both cats finishing theirs - Rinsi wandered down the halls, only half way paying attention to what she was doing. Just who was this woman, and how had the principal allowed her to do anything? Was she being threatened by this woman too? Or was there something deeper? On the surface it seemed this woman was bossy just because she could, or possibly because she liked being in control of others. But Rinsi was smarter than that. Something else had to be going on, but she didn’t know what it was. Right now, her only choice was to obey, or she would learn nothing from this woman, and she wanted desperately to learn. She HAD to learn.
Rinsi thought Nakya might be in their shared dorm room, and she was right. Upon opening the door, she found her friend lying on her bed, gloomy as a widow. She was going through a lot of drama at the moment, and she seemed prone to it. Rinsi chided herself for thinking ill of her friend, and reminded herself that she was no different. It was just something that came with the teenage years.
“Nakya, it seems we have a teacher.” She said, once she closed the door behind her.
“There are no teachers here.” Nakya said blandly, staring up at the ceiling.
“Apparently we have one, as an experiment from the principal. She wants us to meet her in the training grounds.”
“Just us? No one else?”
“I don’t get it either, but it seems she might be able to help us. She seems strict though, so it would not be wise to keep her waiting.”
Nakya stood from her bed. She was NOT going because she was told. She was going because she was tired of being gloomy and needed a good work out. That’s all it was – the need to stand up and do something rather than sit and pout all day long. She followed Rinsi out of their room and out towards the training grounds. There, in the middle of a fighting ring dug into the earth and marked by wood that was driven into the ground to mark the ring for practice, was a woman all clad in black, from her black boots to her black dress, and a black cloak that hid her face and figure. Nakya tried to probe her mind for information, or perhaps just to spook her and make her give way, but her mind came against something hard. It was like a brick wall to her mind, and it reacted with her probing the same way a brick wall would react to a dust mote trying to drive its way through. No matter how hard she tried, it would not give in the slightest, and the woman showed nothing at all.
“Who are you?” Nakya demanded, her hackles raised. No one had ever blocked her before.
“I have informed Rinsi, and I will inform you. Rudeness and insubordination will not be abided. It is rude to probe without permission, and your tone is insubordinate.”
“What are you then? How did you block me?”
“You’ll learn that soon enough. That is, if you decide you wish to learn.”
Nakya formed ice daggers at her hands in an instant. This woman was the one who was insubordinate! Trying to boss her around like she were a doll on strings! And blocking her like that! Nakya would not tolerate that, much less than some holier-than-thou goth wannabe. Though truth be told, she badly wanted to know how such a barrier was formed, so she could pierce through it.
“Violence already?” the woman said, though her tone was more suited for buying clothes, “Those prone to violence so easily are less likely to learn. Their minds are simply too closed off from other possibilities.”
That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Nakya would NOT tolerate this woman mocking her! Nor would she stand for being called stupid. She wasn’t smart like Rinsi was, but she was smart enough. She let fly the ice daggers with a flick of her wrist, and her eyes very nearly bulged out of her head when they stopped mid air, several inches from the woman’s face. She tried to push them further, but her greatest efforts did nothing at all. It was as though another wall had stopped them, and was holding them firmly so she could not draw them back.
“Useful, for when the occasion calls for it, but too rash. You leave yourself too open. I think we can find a better purpose for all this water.” The woman said, non-challantly.
Suddenly the ice daggers came together, twisting and writhing in the air in front of her until it resembled a small figurine made of ice. This figurine was of Nakya, dressed in a diaper, a little dress, and a baby bonnet with a bottle in her mouth.
“This is cute. Wouldn’t you agree, Rinsi?”
Rinsi just stared blankly. How HAD that woman done that? How had she blocked Nakya? No one had done that before, much less twice in a row. It took quite an effort to keep her eyes from bulging as well.
“You shouldn’t be so rude.” She said, though no one could tell who she meant it for, whether the woman or Nakya.
“It is quite fitting I think. To take a child’s toy and turn it into a more fitting child’s toy. I’m afraid, though, that your insubordination warrants discipline.”
“And what are you going to do?” Nakya sneered, “Send me to detention? Legally you can’t do anything.”
That did not stop Outai. Ice crept up Nakya’s ankles, and stalagmites of ice came up to her hands, encasing them. Worse of all, Nakya could not un-form it. Ice was her specialty, aside from telepathy, and this ice would not obey her. She couldn’t move her hands or feet at all, and the ice even crept up over her knees and elbows so she could not move them either.
“Let go of me!”
The woman didn’t listen. She grabbed a branch from a nearby tree and took out an interesting looking three-pronged dagger from behind her belt – a sai, if Rinsi remembered correctly.
“I said let go! Let me go or I swear I’ll report you to the cops!”
“Oh, but you know what that would entail. This school would be shut down, the students and staff imprisoned, yourself included.” The woman sad as she cut the branch from the tree.
“Then I will tell the principal!”
“She can do nothing about it. This is an experiment, so technically this class does not exist. In order for repercussions of teacher disciplining student, there must first be a class where teacher meets student.”
Now the woman was stripping the bark from the branch, taking her sweet time. Nakya seemed to panic. Would she be beaten with that stick? It looked unlikely to break, as it bent in her grasp quite easily, and still looked strong. She would NOT be switched in front of everyone! Even though right now ‘everyone’ consisted of herself, the woman, and Rinsi. And two black cats.
“Let me go right now!”
“Discipline must be in order first, or you will not learn. Rinsi, you may leave for a bit if this is too much for you.” The woman said, bending the stick a few times just to test it.
“Is this really necessary?” Rinsi finally spoke up, “There are laws against corporal punishment. I know the authorities cannot be brought in – not yet anyway – but there still must be other ways.”
“It would not be needed if she obeyed. You might do with a switching yourself, if you keep up that manner. I will not have unruly students. You will both learn to hop when I say ‘toad’.”
With that the woman let fly a flurry of beatings to Nakya’s rear and the backs of her legs. Nakya howled with the pain, first throwing curses and threats to kill the woman for the pain. After a while, those curses and threats turned to pleads for mercy, just to make it stop. Only when Nakya promised to keep a hold of her tongue did the switching stop. Both Rinsi and Nakya were furious, and both were too afraid to speak out against the woman. Perhaps there were ways to repay her in secret?
“I think not.” The woman said suddenly. “And don’t give me those stupid looks. I don’t have to read your minds to know you’re planning something, and to know exactly what it is. My rules don’t just apply to when I teach you. They apply to all hours of the day and night. Rinsi, as a warm up you may heal Nakya. Nakya, you don’t know the rules yet, aside from manners. The rules are thus: You must eat three meals a day plus snacks. You must rest at least eight hours a night. You must obey me absolutely.”
With each rule the woman ticked off a finger on her hand, until three were standing and two were not.
“For your protection, as well as everyone else, I am adding a rule. Neither of you are to practice your abilities without my supervision and permission. Rinsi, this includes your healing, and Nakya, your telepathy. One minor slip with either ability could kill.”
As the woman spoke, Rinsi’s hands glowed. Normally she would touch the affected area, but that might be a little too personal. So, instead, she lay her hands on Nakya’s shoulder blades, as though to push her forward, but did not add pressure. The red marks on her legs that showed below the hem of her skirt disappeared, and her body seemed to relax as the pain ebbed.