Other Fan Fiction ❯ Project II ❯ Questions ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Name:
 
Date:
English II World Literature
 
 
Before beginning your project, read each question carefully and consider its fullest implications. After completing section I of the project, answer these questions as thoroughly and as critically as possible. Elaboration and evaluation should be the basis of each answer. Answers will either be written neatly and legibly on this sheet or a blank sheet of paper. Answers can also be typed instead of written.
 
 
What are the pros and cons of implication used in a textual situation?
Words can be easy to manipulate, especially when relying on implied meaning. Implication can become very ambiguous and vapid, and allows others to create as many meanings as they want. Only the speaker really knows what they were attempting to say. Manipulation can be both good and bad. Consider court and the roles defendants and prosecutors play.
 
How does technology impact language translation?
While technology can provide a fast outlet for translations and convey the general idea or understanding, technology does not provide the tone and human nature people convey when they speak. The human understanding can implement reason within translation and better provide definitions based within the context of a situation, or provide alternative meanings if necessary.
 
Which values within the realm of language change with the development and evolution of technology?
Values of precise understanding through language are taken for granted. The ability and knowledge of words, their meaning, variations, and understanding of manipulation are also being lost, replaced with speed and instant gratification. The motivation for creative thinking within traditional literature is being traded for short-lived visual appreciation. The value of effort is also belittled by instant gratification, and work ethic depreciates as technology advances to provide instantaneous answers with or without credibility.
 
If technology changes our values over time, is this due to internal or external factors? Why or why not?
Internal factors may be the physiological effects, such as induced ADD, or the conditioned lack of motivation to retain values such as correct spelling. External factors may include the push for standardization impeding the ability for people to learn in a way and environment most suitable to them.
 
How do different forms of technological media influence or shape our cognitive abilities?
Technological media induces a form of ADD with rapid skimming and multiple stimuli which the brain cannot focus on all at once. Cognitive development is lax and even lost due to a lack of critical analysis when answers, ideas, and opinions can be provided by searching the internet. Technology allows for an easy division of attention, and therefore a less effective retention and processing of information.
 
How is language evolving and what might it mean for the future?
Language is evolving on the basis of efficiency based on implication. Acronyms and short hand are common, as well as a lack of punctuation to convey proper meaning. As long as the general idea seems to come across, then the interpretation is left to the receiver to decide. This could obscure understanding of person to person in the future, leading to round about clarification instead of sagacity and succinctness. However, it could also be that language will become more efficient with a higher understanding of the language and its implications. Fewer grammatical rules and less clarification due to short but succinct language would supply just as much information, though perhaps fewer details.
 
Why are clarity and precision important aspects to language?
Clarity and precision generate the intrinsic understanding passed from the speaker or author to the receiver. With both aspects, misunderstandings and ambiguities can be avoided, making speech highly effective in cultivating the success of tasks.