Other Fan Fiction ❯ Reprise ❯ The Resistance ( Chapter 33 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 33: The Resistance

"Watch out for the fire. Don't touch," Olaf said as he picked up a torch.

The tunnel's upward incline told them they were heading north into Arendelle's mountain range. Thanks to the reflective ice on the walls, the single torch kept the tunnel well lit.

As they walked, Olaf explained how he came to be guarding the door. "So then they told me to go stand guard at the door. I guess they've got it all cleaned up now. But the noodles might be stuck there."

No one could get a word in edgewise as Olaf rattled through whatever came to mind.

"I still think we need a catchy name. I even thought of a few, like the 'ice guys'. Or the 'cold warriors'. How do you like that one?"

"But who, Olaf? Who is leading the resistance?" Rapunzel asked.

"We're here."

The endless tunnel tapered into a small alcove. Only Olaf could fit without ducking. "Can you push this up? My arms have trouble."

The three of them pushed on a sheet of wood in the ceiling. Powdery snow sprinkled on them as light filtered through.

The air was thin, dry, and crisp. The three of them stood on top of the world, surrounded by mountains like Earth's lords.

"Watch out, I'm throwing up!" Olaf shouted.

Olaf's head popped out of the hole, landing next to them. His other two body parts followed. He quickly reassembled himself.

"What is..." Flynn turned around. A gigantic castle of blue ice stood before him, embedded in the mountain's peak. Flynn's jaw dropped. "That... is one large castle."

"Another snow queen special," Olaf said. "It's the perfect place to plan a secret rebellion."

Olaf knocked five times on the gigantic double doors. The mountains echoed as the doors unlatched.

A giant snow golem, as high as the double doors, stood in the doorway. Icicles jutted out of its shoulders and back, adding to his scowl.

Flynn swallowed.

Olaf said, "Hi, Marshmallow! These are new members. This is Rapunzel, Ariel, and I didn't get his name but he rides flynns."

Rapunzel stepped forward. "We're friends of Elsa and Anna's. We want to help."

The golem said nothing. It growled and stepped aside.

The bustle of activity echoed against the smooth walls the ice castle. People carried buckets, bundles of wood, and other supplies. Others were mending clothes or crafting tools. There was an odd trilling too, made by hundreds of little snowmen skittering around the castle floor. Each had a smile that was half-adorable, half-terrifying.

"Oh my god, they're breeding," Flynn said.

"No," Olaf chided. "These are my brothers. This one's Sludge, and this is Slush, and Slide and Hansel and Flake and Fridge and Flurry and Powder and Crystal and Squall and Pat and Sverre and William and-"

"It's a... it's a whole new species." Flynn grabbed Rapunzel by the shoulders. "Does anyone realize that? This is a civilization of people made from snow. Can anything get a reaction out of you?"

"Elsa already told me about this. She had a bad cold once, before her powers were totally under control. Every time she sneezed, these little guys would appear. She sent them all up here to live with Marshmallow."

"The big guy," Ariel said, while tickling one of the snowgies under its chin.

Flynn wiped his forehead. "Of course. The giant snow monster is named Marshmallow. And he's on our side. That's great."

"What's going on? I heard the door open." A man with nappy blond hair and a stocking cap appeared at the stairway railing. "Rapunzel! Ariel! You're back!" He turned behind. "Sven! Look who it is!"

A large bull reindeer poked its head over the side of the railing. Its eyes brightened and its tongue hung out like a dog's.

"Is that a reindeer?" Flynn asked. "Because of course. Why not a reindeer?"

Kristoff came down and hugged the two of them. Rapunzel introduced her husband as Flynn Rider. "But if he gets out of line, you can call him Eugene."

"Welcome to the resistance," Kristoff said.

"You did all this?" Ariel asked.

Kristoff nodded proudly. "The tunnel was the hard part. But the castle was too perfect not to use. Ansel doesn't know about it."

"What about these guys?" Flynn nudged away a little snowman nuzzling his boot.

"The snowgies? We're trying to train them, but they're pretty wild. Luckily, they'll do anything for cake." Kristoff reached into his pocket and pulled out handful of crumbs.

The little snowmen froze and turned their beady eyes.

Kristoff held the cake to the left. Hundreds of black eyes followed. He shifted it to the right. They followed. He tossed the cake into the middle of the crowd. The snowgies climbed over each other to get a taste, like puppies diving for a treat.

"The problem is this palace didn't come with a kitchen. And we can't make a fire for... obvious reasons." Kristoff shrugged. "But my family's here. They agreed to help. And others from Arendelle. There's so many we had to convert the throne room into a command center. We've got a supply room, infirmary, barracks, an armory--although that's not very big right now. There's not much access to supplies besides what we can sneak through. We could really use Elsa's help for that. Where is she?"

"She... we don't know," Ariel said. "She's missing."

Kristoff's face dropped. "Missing? Anna's not going to like that."

"She's here? I thought she was imprisoned in the castle," Rapunzel said.

"She escaped. The old 'bedsheets-out-the-window' routine. She said she used to do it all the time when the northern lights were bright. Elsa and her would sneak out and climb a tree to watch."

Kristoff led them up the stairs to the back of the castle. Without decorations or color, every room looked much the same. It was beautiful--full of crystalline shimmer and prismatic beauty--but all the same.

In the throne room, a young woman hunched over a map on the floor, measuring something with a ruler. Ariel and Rapunzel thought she was a stranger. Gone were her trademark braids and make-up. Instead, she wore a tight ponytail and woolen clothes with fur ruffs.

"Kristoff, I said I'm working on this. Stop distracting me."

"Anna?" Ariel asked.

Anna looked up. Her face softened. "Rapunzel! Ariel!" She clambered to her feet and tackled them in a hug. "Where's Elsa? Is she with you?"

Ariel and Rapunzel glanced at each other.

"Is she..." Anna's lower lip trembled.

"She's not dead," Rapunzel said.

"We don't think," Ariel added. "It's a long story."

"I like stories," Olaf said as he toddled in.

Anna sat cross-legged on the floor. "Tell me everything."

It took hours to recount what happened after the blockade and the return to Corona. Anna gasped at learning of Ravir's self-exile and leaned forward at the library fire. Meeting Arcius took a great deal of explanation and backtracking, which was understandable.

Rapunzel and Ariel had agreed ahead of time to fictionalize their moments under the sea. The important part was the bottle that led them to Lowther's domain. Anna's disgust at their description of his lifestyle needed no interpretation. But she rejoiced when learning about their retaliation. Except the end. Because that involved Elsa's last act--casting a protective dome of ice over them as the castle crumbled.

"And when we broke through, she was gone. We found her footprints walking away, so we know she was okay."

"How long were you in there?" Anna asked.

"I have no idea. It was pitch black and constantly rumbling. I might have passed out and not known it," Ariel said.

"Why hasn't Arcius tried to contact you? Or kidnap you?" Kristoff asked. "He needs you to complete his plan. And he doesn't sound like the kind of guy to take no for an answer."

"Maybe we're really good at hiding," Ariel said.

"You know, Pabbie might know something about this grain of time. He's old. Not as old as the world, but still pretty old."

"Let me guess. Pabbie's a snowman too?" Flynn asked.

"Of course not. He's a rock troll," Kristoff said.

"And his grandfather," Rapunzel added.

"Grandfather rock troll. Sure, why not. Makes perfect sense. Sounds fine," Flynn said.

Anna was shaking her head. "Kristoff. We both agreed we weren't going to try a rescue mission. He told us not to."

"Rescue mission?" Ariel asked.

"That was before Rapunzel and Ariel arrived," Kristoff responded.

"Wait, what's going on?" Rapunzel asked.

Anna gave Kristoff a look. "Ansel heard about the Valley of the Living Rock. He marched in. We managed to get everyone out. But they got Pabbie. He used his magic to hold them off."

"Is he still alive?" Ariel asked.

"Our inside sources say he is," Kristoff said.

"How would you even kill him? A chisel?" Flynn asked.

Kristoff didn't look amused. "They haven't killed him, but that means they want him for something. Either information or his magic or ransom to get at the resistance."

Ariel stood up. "We've got to bust him out of there."

"How?" Kristoff asked. "We're nowhere close to the manpower we need to attack the castle."

"You don't need to attack. You need an infiltration. You can't overtake them, so you undertake them."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Kristoff asked.

"That..." She looked down at the map. "I need a little time to figure out."

"I can help," Flynn said. "Sneaking around castles is my thing."

Olaf jumped up. "I'll get the cocoa!" He toddled off. "A little hot cocoa always helps you think."

On hands and knees, Ariel studied the map of the castle and surrounding area. Kristoff hovered over her, pointing out what she needed to know. Flynn squatted next to them, making suggestions.

Anna pulled Rapunzel aside. "Hey, I missed you," she said.

"I missed you too," Rapunzel said.

Anna tugged into the hallway, where they were alone. "So after you left, I found out what the people asked you. About you... becoming queen."

Rapunzel's eyebrows shot up. "Anna, I'm sorry. I never said anything to make them-"

"No, no, listen, it's all right. I understand why they did it. I'm not... I'm not like my sister. I'm not good at the whole ruling thing."

"That's not true," Rapunzel said. "You're driven and protective. They believe in your guidance. You're a great queen."

"That's sweet of you to say. But we both know you're a better one. I'm kind of scatterbrained. I hate schedules. I can't make big decisions."

"But what about this?" She gestured to the palace. "You're organizing an army to take down that dictator. The people of Arendelle are lucky they have someone who cares about them so much."

"That's for now," Anna said. "What about when it's over? What happens when it goes back to the day-to-day schedule. Just studying one law proclamation takes me all day. I can't make speeches--I'd trip on the way to the podium. What kind of queen is that? What I'm saying is... If Elsa doesn't come back, and you want to take the offer, I'd understand."

"Anna... I can't... I mean... what would you even do?"

Anna shrugged. "Live somewhere else. Maybe Kristoff could teach me how to be an ice harvester. Could travel the world. And there's other kingdoms and duke... doms... what do you call them? Duke-places? Dukeries?"

"What about your dynasty? Your titles? You'd just throw it away like that?"

"You know I'd rather be living with people than controlling them. Arendelle needs someone like you. Now more than ever. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't stand in your way."

Anna's eyes were sincere. She had learned things about herself in the time of their separation. Everything that had happened had made them take a hard look at themselves and their futures. Anna wasn't doing this because it was easy, but because it was right.

Rapunzel coughed. "Um, Kristoff said you had an infirmary. I assume that means you have some wounded?"

Anna nodded. "I'll take you to them."

The two of them walked into the hallway. Side-by-side but not together.

Ariel sipped her cocoa without realizing only sludge remained at the bottom. Instead, she tipped the mug back and downed it.

"Whoever designed this castle was smart," she said.

"It's part of the reason Arendelle's endured so long," Flynn said. "There are guard towers here, here, and here. And it doesn't help that the castle's surrounded on three sides by water. I mean, I know it works out for the castle..."

"The walls are too sheer to climb. Best we could do is launch a small assault squad, but I don't know the castle's defenses. And I don't want to attack our own people," Kristoff said.

"We can't help it. No matter what we're going to be attacking Arendelle people," Flynn said.

"But we can't tell who's on Ansel's side and who's just doing their job guarding the castle," Kristoff said.

"I don't want to get into a fight either. They can destroy us easily. The trident's powerful, but it's not that powerful," Ariel said. "But that's not the mission right now. The mission is to rescue Pabbie. Not to take back the castle. Not to attack anyone."

"I suppose there's always the old 'hide in a barrel' and pretend you're a delivery."

Kristoff shook his head. "Everything's opened and inspected before it goes past the doors. Ansel already thought of that one."

"What if you get a job? Apply to be a cook," Flynn said.

"The longer you're in the castle, the more chance you have of being caught," Kristoff said.

Ariel couldn't help but nod. She stared at the map, willing some alternative to come to her. This wasn't her land. It wasn't her castle. What did she know that would help?

"Elsa told me she broke out of one of the prison cells. Where was that?"

"Here." Kristoff stuck his thick finger on one side of the castle facing the fjord. "In the lower level."

"Was that ever repaired?"