Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Hunting ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2: Hunting
"Have a nice time, Kiara?" Nala asked her daughter when she and Kovu sat down next to them.
"Yes, it's very nice getting to know new lions." Kiara said with a smile, trying to impress her mother.
"Good." Simba said. His mane shone brightly in the morning sun. "Do you have many wounds? Should I get Rafiki to take a look at them?"
Kiara remembered her tumble with Zira. Kiara only had planned to knock the corrupted lionesses off balance to deflect her attack, instead she and Zira had actually rolled off a large cliff. This lead to Zira's decision to fall to her death rather than take help from Kiara. Kiara felt a little ashamed she hadn't been able to do more.
"No, Daddy, not any great wounds."
"Good. And you, Kovu?"
"I'm fine. Thank you, sir."
Zazu then flew over and perched himself upon Simba's shoulder.
"Excuse me, sire, but your subjects are waiting." he said.
"Oh," Simba said. "Of course. Thank you, Zazu. It's time for our meeting. Oh and Kovu? After this, I want to have a serious talk with you."
Kovu flinched. Kiara had warned him about the talk. He had no time to think about it as the four royals approached the peak of pride rock. Simba and Nala were in front while Kiara and Kovu were behind them. Simba looked at the lionesses below him. He saw the eight new lionesses that came from the outlands, and the six that were already in the pride. The two groups were sitting a noticeable distance from each other.
"Good morning," Simba said cheerily. "I hope everyone is well rested. If anyone has any serious wounds, feel free to talk with Rafiki. He can make medicine out of herbs for your wounds. Just make sure to listen to his instructions so any wounds will heal properly. This morning, I want to send out a hunting party. Nala will lead the hunt after this meeting. This will be our first hunting party with new allies, so I am asking everyone to listen to everything Nala instructs. Alright, Nala, you're next." He turned to her and smiled. She stood to address the Pride.
"I am only going to take five other lionesses with me. I want to take you five." She pointed at five former Outlanders. "Five lionesses will be all we need to hunt for today. The others will stay behind and watch the cubs and as always protect the others if danger comes. Okay ready? Let's move out!"
"Wait!" Simba said suddenly. "There's one more thing. I want to make it clear that no one must slay Timon and Pumbaa. If they are, the one who did so will also be slain. These are my friends, and I owe them my life."
There were a few murmurs amongst the former Outlanders, but Simba ignored them. He then nodded to Nala, and she motioned to the waiting hunting party to head out. Then she turned to Kiara, "Kiara, you come along too."
After saying goodbye to their mates respectively, Kiara and Nala ran down and off the rock and ran toward the fields of long yellow grass. The others followed. After a short distance of running, the hunting party came upon four zebras grazing quietly. Nala and her group were still a far distance from them. She turned to her hunting party.
"Here's the plan."
Nala told them the plan; it was a simple technique. Kiara felt pleased to be in the hunt, even though she had not finished her first hunting test. Soon Nala's plan was put into action. First, three lionesses went ahead of the zebras. When they passed the zebras, they were told to not look interested and just keep running so that the zebras would stay put. The plan worked. When the zebras looked at the three lionesses, and realized that they meant no harm, they continued munching on the grass. Nala had told the three to go far behind the zebras and wait for the remaining four to get into position.
"Okay, into position." Nala said to the remaining lionesses. "Follow my lead, only move when I do."
Kiara and the other two nodded and started to walk into position. All lionesses were in position so Nala took a step forward and the others mirrored her. She crept another silent step and kept going until they were closer to the herd. The zebras still didn't notice the lionesses. Kiara smiled.
"Wow," she thought. "I'm actually hunting! Those zebras have no idea we've completely surrounded them!"
They crept closer...and closer... and then...
"NOW!" Nala gave the signal and everyone attacked. The zebras were so shocked from the ambush. They didn't know what hit them. Without much chase, the seven lionesses had managed to catch three of them. Nala signaled to the others to gather.
"Great job! You all did wonderfully. See what happens when we work together? Our pride will be full for days!"
Some of the lionesses smiled or laughed at Nala's enthusiasm. Nala walked over to Kiara.
"I'm very proud of you." she whispered.
Kiara felt proud of herself, too.
They all went back to the pride lands, dragging the kills.
After the Pride had their fill of the prey, everyone continued talking, napping, or just relaxing. Kiara was with Kovu.
"So how was the talk?" Kiara asked her mate.
Kovu looked at her with a straight face. "Terrifying," he said. "No offence, but your dad scares me."
Kiara laughed. "At first you planned to murder him without mercy, but now you are afraid of him. I wonder what happened." she said and smiled, already knowing the answer.
Kovu nuzzled her. "Because I fell for you." he whispered.
Kiara smile grew and she purred. She nuzzled him back.
After a bit of purring, Kiara said, "So what did my dad say about..." She dropped to a whisper, "Us having a cub?"
Kovu practically leaped up. "You want cubs? Really?"
"Sure. Why not? I think I would be a great mom."
"Of course you would, Kiara. I'd be so happy to have a cub with you."
"So what did Daddy say?"
"Well he said stuff like, 'Always be where I can see you when you are with her. At night, always sleep at least a lion apart.' he's giving me rules to date you."
Kiara laughed. "Even though were sort of married since Rafiki gave us The Blessing in front of everyone."
Kovu nodded and smiled.
"Well I guess we should listen to him. I wonder when he will allow us to have a cub."
"Who knows?"
"I'll ask him sometime. I'm a good tail kisser. I'll say something like, 'Oh dad, your coat looks so handsome!'"
"That's my girl." Kovu said with a small chuckle. He licked her cheek. "Oh!" he said. "Your dad's looking this way."
Kiara smiled. "Let's move out of his sight."
Kovu and Kiara giggled as they crept away and continued their "kissing".