Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ The Big News ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11: The Big News
Roaring yawns were heard throughout the cave the next morning. While some lions got up, others decided to sleep in. The two cubs that were in the pride, Tali and Mani were playing with their mother's tail. She tried to push them away, but they kept coming back to play. Since their mother, Kanai, was trying to sleep, she asked Kovu and Kiara to watch them. The couple were already awake so they didn't mind.
"Hey there." Kovu said to the cubs, smiling.
Tali looked up at him.
"Are you Kiara's boyfriend?" she asked.
Kovu grinned.
"He's my husband, remember?" Kiara told Tali.
"Oh yeah, I forgot."
"Hey, Kiara, can me and Tali go and play over there?" Mani said pointing with his paw to a shady tree.
"That sounds like a great idea." Kovu said, starting to feel the heat. Tali and Mani sped over to the tree and when Mani got there first, he said,
"I win!"
"It wasn't a race!" Tali said, annoyed.
"I still win." Mani said, getting in Tali's face.
Tali became angry and tackled him. They had a little play fight as Kiara and Kovu lay down to watch. Kiara laid her head on Kovu's back and purred.
"They're so cute!" she said to him.
Kovu turned his head and licked Kiara's cheek.
"We'll have cubs of our own someday." He said.
The two cubs stopped playing and looked at Kiara and Kovu.
"Ew! Kissing!" Mani said, disgusted.
Kiara and Kovu laughed. Kiara told them that they silly cubs. This inevitably caused more play fighting amongst the cubs. Some time passed when Simba came over.
"I was just checking out the lands when I spotted you all. How are you?"
"We're fine, Daddy. Do you see our cubs?" Kiara said playfully with a smile.
Simba looked at the wrestling cubs.
"Yeah, I see them. Some rascals you got there. About that, well your mother and I decided..." He sighed. "Um...to well, let you and Kovu have cubs."
Kiara's eyes lit up. "Really?"
Kovu was grinning from ear to ear.
"Yes, but along with cubs comes responsibility. It's not easy, and not always fun. You will have to watch over them at all times. I know first hand how troublesome-"
"Oh, Daddy, thank you so much!" she said leaping up and hugging Simba in a tight squeeze.
"One more thing, Kiara." he said with a serious tone.
Kiara stepped back to listen. Kovu sat by her. The two lion's tails were thrashing side to side with excitement.
"When your cub or cubs are born, you and Kovu will become Queen and King."
Kiara's smile couldn't have gotten any bigger than at that moment. She felt her heart soar with happiness.
"Wow! This is-wow-I'm… thank you, Daddy!" she nuzzled him again. "Have you talked to Mom about this?"
"Of course."
Kiara nuzzled her dad.
"Thanks so much! I promise that we'll be great rulers. And parents."
After nuzzling him, she nuzzled Kovu.
"So when your heir is born, I will step down to you two." then he sighed. "It seemed to be so short, but if I have to give it up to someone, there wouldn't be anyone better to give it to than you two. Kiara, you make me proud to be your father."
After his little speech, Simba nodded regally and turned the way he came and walked away.
Kovu and Kiara looked at each other with humongous smiles on their faces. The two cubs had been listening attentively while Simba was talking.
"So now you can have cubs?" Tali asked. "Wait a second... where do cubs come from?"
Kiara looked at Tali and then at Kovu.
"Um..." Kiara said.
"Well, you see, uh, cubs come from..." Kovu tried. Kovu and Kiara look at each other and then at the cubs.
"Ask your mom." they said in unison.
The cubs looked confused.
"In fact, you can ask her right now! Let's head back, cubs." Kovu said.
"Ohh! I'll get there first!" Mani said, clumsily running to home.
"Nuh-uh!" Tali said chasing after him. Kiara and Kovu took the two cubs home to their awakening mother.
"Thanks so much, you two, for watching my little angels. They were angels, right?"
"Of course we were, Mommy!" Tali said innocently.

Vitani snuck out again that day. The odds that Tome would be walking by were slim. She probably wouldn't see him again. She went to the place where she had healed him. Just as she surmised, he wasn't there. Disappointment swept over her, even though she knew he wasn't going to be there. She laid in area that Tome had rested while she had healed him. The indention in the grass was no longer there, but Tome's scent still lingered. She inhaled deeply and exhaled happily. She felt very calm while laying in the spot. She drifted off to a silent sleep.

After Kiara and Kovu dropped off the cubs, Kiara went to Nala who was looking out over Pride Rock. Kovu followed behind her.
"Mom!" she ran up to her and hugged her. "Thank you, Mom!"
Nala hugged back. "I'm guessing that you heard the news?"
"Yes! Kovu and I are both so happy."
When they stopped hugging, Nala nuzzled her daughter.
"You've grown up so much!" she exclaimed. "And Kovu, you too. Your mane is so full and handsome."
"Er..thank you."
Kiara went over to her mate and put her head under his chin.
"I need to go lead a hunting party, so I'll see you two love birds later." she said walking toward some lionesses who were waiting near by. Kiara and Kovu took this opportunity to go into the royal cave, make sure it was empty and started the first step to making cubs.
The day went by quickly. Vitani went back to Pride Rock when evening had approached. She came back well rested and happy. A few lionesses decided to sleep outside since it was a cool night. Everyone went to sleep quickly. Deep breathing and snores could be heard all over the pride lands.