Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Hearts In Other Places ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 12: Hearts in Other Places
The next day, Kiara announced she would soon have a cub. Kiara and Kovu were beyond delighted. Nala and Simba were happy as well. Many lionesses came by to congratulate Kovu and Kiara for the gift they would have in a few months time. Even Sarabi in her old age got up to congratulate her.
"Kiara I'm so happy for you!" she said hugging her.
"Aw, thank you, Grandma!"
"I hope I'm there when your cubs are born. I want to be a great-grandma!"
Kiara nuzzled the old lioness.
"I can't wait." Kiara said.

Vitani wanted to go out to "Tome's Place". She figured the place needed a name since she went there so often. It gave her a sense of calm and serenity. It made her believe he would come back to talk to her. When she started to come upon the spot, she noticed a lion sitting there. Vitani's heart leaped.
It's him!
She decided to play it cool. She walked over and sat a couple yards in front of him.
"Hey." She said.
"Why were you here yesterday?" He asked, getting right to the point.
"I..." Vitani muttered. She didn't know what to say. Vitani looked into Tome's eyes. They were so blue. He stared back at her. Vitani squinted her eyes.
"Why are you here?" she asked.
"Touché'" she thought.
"I came to tell you to stop coming here. Stay in your dearest Pride Lands."
The large lion spun around and headed home. Vitani gathered her courage and followed.
"What's the real reason you came here?" she said walking beside him. He looked at her for a split second and then started running. Vitani tried to follow, but the lion's speed was remarkable. Vitani fell behind and then quit running. She walked back to "Tome's Place" and sat on the spot.
"Did he come to see me?"
Vitani lay down and dozed off thinking about Tome.

Kovu and Kiara were alone together, sunning on large rocks. They were lying side by side. Kovu seemed to be asleep. Kiara glanced at him. Her dearest husband. Father of her unborn cub. She smiled. She had a wonderful life and loved every minute of it. Kiara buried her head in Kovu's mane and cuddled close to her mate. She hoped this happiness would never end.
Near the middle of the day, Vitani came back feeling refreshed. She wondered how long it would take before someone noticed she kept leaving everyday. Vitani pushed the thought away and went to find Kovu and Kiara.
When she did, she nuzzled each of them.
"I'm so happy for you two!"
"Thanks, Tani." Kovu said.
The day continued to go on and soon it was over. All lions settled in for sleep.
The next morning, it was raining lightly. The sky was dark with large clouds. A distant rumble promised more rain. Everyone who didn't want their coats wet went inside the cave, but some others didn't really care. It was only sprinkling now, and would only dampen their coat and not soak it. Kiara enjoyed the rain; It made her sleepy. She asked Kovu if he would nap with her in the drizzle.
The two closed their eyes after finding a good spot. Kovu's opened when he heard swift running some distance away. It was Vitani.
"Where is she running off to?" he thought.
She was running to "Tome's Place." She just couldn't get it out of her head. She wanted to be with him every second of everyday. She hoped and prayed he would be there. When she arrived, she was disappointed. He was no where to be seen. She sat down.
"Where is he?" she muttered. "Well, we never agreed to meet. I mean, he doesn't even want to see me. He has a wife. And probably kids! Why would he come see me?"
Vitani dropped her head.
"It's cold." A voice said coming from behind her.
Vitani yelped. She spun around.
"Don't do that!" she yelled at Tome.
"It's cold." He repeated. "You should go home. You could get sick."
His voice was kind, and to Vitani, it sounded welcoming and loving. She got closer to him and put her head under his chin.
"It's not cold. Why are you here?"
Tome pulled away. He stepped back, and started turning away to leave.
Vitani smiled and decided to be playful.
"You have a crush on me don't you?" she said waving her tail and raising an eyebrow.
"Later." Was all he said before heading home.
As Tome ran home, he reflected over his feelings. He was confused. Why did he keep going to that spot? Sprinkles of rain splattered on his face. Did he long for her? No! That's impossible. He loved his wife, Jana with all his heart. He made his legs run faster until his muscles hurt.
Tome arrived at his pride panting. A few greeted him. No one asked him where he'd been. It was impolite to be nosy, especially to the prince. Tome's wife walked up to him.
"Hi!" she said happily.
"Hi." He replied.
Jana's smile dropped.
"What's wrong?" she asked.
Tome looked at his honey colored wife. She was beautiful. She had gorgeous green eyes, and he loved her...right?
"Nothing, Darling." He said.
"I'm glad." She said and licked his cheek.
"Oh." She continued. "Your father wants to speak with you."
"Oh."
Tome looked around for his dad and found him. Tome walked to his father who was looking over the pride. He sat by him.
"Tome." His father said not even looking at him. "Where have you been going?"
Tome sighed. He figured that this is what his father wanted to talk about.
"Son, you can't keep leaving your pride so often. Will you do that when you are king? Will you abandon this pride when I am gone?"
"Of course no—"
He turned toward his son.
"I know what you've been doing! Don't leave again!"
Tome was astonished. How could he know?
"You are dismissed." He said turning away from him once again.
Tome walked away to where Jana sat waiting.
"So what did he want?" she asked as he approached.
"Never mind." He replied.
Tome and Jana walked to the spot where they usually hung out. Jana nuzzled Tome and licked his cheek. Tome turned away. She looked at him seriously.
"Tome...Your heart seems to be someplace else."
Tome turns quickly to Jana.
"No!" he said. "No where else."