Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Trouble ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 26: Trouble
The rest of the day was a lazy and uneventful one. Kiara tried to avoid Thresh so she wouldn't have to hurt his feelings. It was hard to avoid him when they all were supposed to stay in the cave as much as possible. And it didn't help that Toni and Kanai wanted to talk to Thresh just so they could bat their eyes at him. Everyone was becoming rather bored without the rest of the pride there. When would they be back?
The next morning, the cubs were getting restless, so Thresh sat them down and started making up a story to keep their interest.
Toni was talking with Kiara about nothing in particular when they both stopped to watch Thresh and the cubs. Thresh got really into the story he was telling, making sure the cubs thought they were a part of it. They were leaning in with big attentive eyes. Kiara could tell it was a scary story because Tali and Mani jumped when Thresh put loud emphasis on some words. Kanai was lying by her cubs, smiling at their innocence.
"Wow," Toni muttered, "Thresh is really good with kids. He's a really nice guy."
"Yeah," Kiara agreed, "He is a nice guy."
Kiara smiled. Just then, Thresh's story made the cubs burst out in laughter. Since laughing was contagious, Toni and Kiara let out giggles. Thresh threw a glance at Kiara, smiled, and continued to tell his story.
Later that day, a small meal was caught. Kanai found it was easy to catch food and feed only four lions and two cubs. As the day went on, Kiara thought about their predicament.
I guess Thresh was right: No ones going to attack us. I was just being silly. And I bet Kovu and the others will be coming home soon. It's been about a week and a half; surely they should be on their way back by now. And I bet there's only going to be a few casualties! Our pride is so strong. I know what I'll do, I'll get some medicine from Rafiki sometime soon so when they come back, we can heal any wounds they have. And I'll have Kanai catch us a lot of food so if they are hungry from the journey, they can eat right away. I'm thinking ahead! Maybe I can be a good queen after all…
Kiara talked to the others about what she was thinking.
"I think, since it's been about two weeks, that its likely they are on their way back by now. We should get more medicine from Rafiki to be ready to treat any wounds they have, and we should also catch lots of food because they'll probably be hungry after their long travel."
Toni, Thresh and Kanai were nodding attentively. Kiara felt a surge of pride that she was talking to them as a superior and they were actually listening. Would the rest of the pride do so when the time came for Kiara to give orders to them?
"So I think we'll start tomorrow. Kanai, you will catch food. If you get tired, come rest, then go out some more. Then of course, if the meat starts getting old we won't waste any of it. And Thresh, you will go to Rafiki and ask for more medicine. I trust you remember the way?"
Thresh nodded.
"Great!" Kiara said with a feeling of authority. "Let's turn in for the night then!"
Everyone then settled to go to bed. Toni commented on how good Kiara's orders were. This compliment left Kiara beaming. Everyone had a good night's sleep.
The next morning, Thresh and Kanai were up and ready to go. Thresh set out for Rafiki's and Kanai went hunting. Kiara, Toni and the kids stayed in the cave. Toni was having fierce cramps, so she stayed lying down most of the time. Sometimes, she would get up and walk around, trying to get the cramps to go away, but to no avail. With her heavy, full belly, Toni lay back down.
Kiara tried to keep the cubs entertained while they waited for the pride to return, but she was distracted by her excitement.
I can't wait to see Kovu!

-meanwhile

Thresh had finally gotten to the big tree that Rafiki resided in.
"Yo, Monkey!" Thresh shouted.
Rafiki appeared quickly. "Dat is a rude way of greeting someone you are about to ask help from. Well Thresh, I see your arm is a little better. What do you need?"
"We need more of that medicine. We used the rest of it on the wounds from the hyena attack a few days ago."
"Ah, yis. I heard what happened, but Kiara handled it well, no? She is learning still how to be a queen."
"Yes, but I came to get more medicine for just incase. Orders from Kiara herself."
Rafiki made his crazy laugh and said, "Yis! She is thinking ahead! It is a sign of intelligence. I can tell she is going to be a great ruler. As for the medicine, Thresh, I am afraid it will take a few minutes. Just wait there."
"Sure." Thresh said and relaxed on the grass.

Kanai had already come back with a small antelope. Kiara praised how strong she was, and told her to go back out unless she was tired. Kanai said she wasn't, so she sped off to get more.
The cubs were trying not to be annoying and played quietly together though they were very bored. They wanted to go outside to play but it would be too dangerous to do so until the pride got back.
Toni was laying near the cubs, resting. As for Kiara, she sat at the mouth of the cave looking outside. She longed to go out. Just to feel the sun of her fur, and the grass between her paws would be great. But she knew she shouldn't unless it was necessary.
"Well.. maybe it would be okay to stand on the rock. At least I can get some sun."
Kiara told Toni she was going to step outside. Kiara left the cave and then walked to the near end of the peak. She stretched and sat down. The warm rock felt good on her fur. She could see Kanai's figure in the distance chasing a zebra. She looked like she was getting tired. It is a lot harder to hunt by yourself. So Kiara decided to go and tell Kanai to come back and rest. Hopefully, Thresh would be back with the medicine soon, and could help Kanai catch more.
She turned and walked down the peak then got off the rock.

"Alright, Thresh, it is finished." Rafiki announced as he carefully climbed out of his tree and gently placed the large leaf on the ground.
"I'm sorry, but I have something I need to do. You'll have to drag it yourself. I suggest with your teeth. There is a strange wind and it's blowing this way. I sense something not quite right. I need to figure out what it is right away."
"Okay," Thresh said. "Thanks for your time. It shouldn't be too hard to drag this back."
Rafiki had already ducked back into his tree. Thresh went ahead and took his leave. He had only drug the leaf for about a minute when he heard a blood chilling scream. Thresh quickly snapped up.
"Kiara!"
Abandoning the medicine, he bolted forward toward Pride Rock.