Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Rescued ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 28: Rescued
While Kiara ran to the cave, the cubs kept up well. When they made it to the cave, Kiara sent Tali and Mani in first, and then went in herself. Seeing their alarmed expressions, Toni said,
"Oh my goodness! What is going on? I heard roars!"
"Toni stay here with the cubs, I have to go see what's happening."
"Who's fighting out there?"
"It's Death…he's back…" Kiara said and noticed Toni shiver.
"Please stay here." Kiara ordered Toni. "We might have to hide of the battle gets too bad out there."
"Oh no…" Toni said. "This is just terrible!"
Kiara had already gone out. She ran to the edge of the rock to see what was happening. She saw Death and Kanai in a rolling fighting fit. She was losing. She was no match for a big male lion. Where was Thresh? Kiara scanned the plains and saw him. He was laying on the grass on one side. Kiara gasped.
"Is…he…? I have to call for a retreat!" Kiara dashed back into the cave. "Toni! Get the cubs and hide now!"
Toni stood up with horror on her face. The two lionesses quickly grabbed a cub, one each, and went out of the cave. They ran to the back of Pride Rock, and found a large bush with room underneath it. There was only enough room for the two cubs. Kiara and Toni put them down.
"Listen to me, kids," Kiara said as two pairs of terrified, innocent eyes looked up at her. "I want you go into this bush, and stay there, okay? We'll come get you when it's safe. Just stay here."
Tali and Mani nodded and then went into the bush.
"Be back soon…" Tali whimpered when she was settled. Kiara told Toni to find a place for herself to hide, and then sped off to call the retreat. Her paws thundered on the ground as she bolted toward Thresh's body.
Please don't let him be…
She pushed that thought away and ran faster. She made it to Thresh's side.
"Thresh!" She nudged his cheek with the top of her head. "Thresh get up!"
Thresh moaned, moved his head, and then opened his eyes.
"Thank goodness!" Kiara said with relief but her heart was still pounding.
"Kiara…" He said as he tried to get up.
"Thresh, we need to hide! We have to hurry! Can you run?"
Thresh, with great labor, stood to his shaky legs. "Yes. I think I can."
"I need to find Kanai, Thresh, go hide! I'll join you after I help Kanai escape, she's still fighting Death somewhere." Kiara looked around. "Where are they?" She said in frustration, "I have to find her!"
Kiara then sped off, and yelled over her shoulder, "You had better not follow me, Thresh, go hide! Please!"
She kept running. They had to be around here somewhere. Maybe Kanai had tired to run. They're probably still running. Kiara knew Kanai was a fast runner. But was she faster than Death? Could Kiara even catch up with them? As she ran past a tree, she heard a quiet voice.
"Kiara."
Kiara gasped and stopped in her tracks. It sounded like Kanai! Kiara walked briskly toward the source of the voice. There were bushes and trees. Underneath one of the trees, was Kanai. She looked bad. She was laying on her side, with blood on much of her pelt. It was eerily quiet
"Kanai…Oh no... we have to hide."
"Kiara…you should…leave…go...Death…" But Kanai couldn't finish. She closed her eyes. She had fallen unconscious.
"Ugh!" Kiara muttered. "I can't carry her!"
Kiara stepped over Kanai and put herself between the tree and the brown lioness. She put her nose under Kanai's back, and pushed. Kanai didn't budge. Kiara resituated herself and tried again. This time, putting one of her back feet on the tree and pushing it. The tree gave Kiara enough force to roll Kanai over to her other side. Kiara grunted in fustration. Her heart was racing.
"This will take forever! I don't have enough strength for this! And what if Death comes-"
As if on cue, Death appeared. "Good effort, but it's too late now…no one can save you."
Kiara stood as frightened as a new born cub. She shook from head to toe.
"This is really it." She thought. "I'm going to die…"
Death came closer. She had no where to run and even is she did, she would get nowhere. The only thing she could do was try to talk her way out of it.
"Death, listen to me. I'm with a cub…please!"
"Beg all you want."
"Why are you doing this?"
"I think it's FUN." Death said with a toothy, evil grin that made Kiara shudder.
"It's not fun! It's wrong! Why do you want to be bad? You could have been a really great lion. A king maybe. With family who loves-"
BOOM!
Death's paw rammed into the side of Kiara's head. "SHUT UP!" he screamed.
Kiara's head whirled as she collapsed to the ground behind Kanai's body. She got one final, dizzy look at Death smiling and coming even closer to her.
"Kiara!" she heard from a short distance away.
…Kovu…? Is that…you…
Kiara's head dropped on Kanai's back as a big brown lion attacked Death