Other Fan Fiction ❯ Wrong Place, Wrong Time ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Summary: There are those who somehow always manage to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Sadly, I'm one of them.

Disclaimer: I don't own Summon Night. Only Mira (narrator) and Alora are my original characters.

Chapter 1: Cleru and Sugar

I woke up to the sound of mischievous giggles. The boat was no longer moving atop soft waves, and thus I concluded we must have reached the Wystern port. The voices from above deck continued and I wondered what that was about. I'm pretty sure Master Bron must have been in a good mood to let me sleep in on his boat, but I'm not sure why.

I make my way above deck. The sun has already set but I didn't sleep last night so I ended up sleeping during the afternoon and early evening. The stars are shining and the moon is full, providing enough light for me to clearly see a young man with silvery hair and a young woman with pink hair kissing, or more like making out, and it is once again confirmed that I am one of those people who inevitably will always find herself in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I wanted to sneak past them and not disturb them, I really did, but when I opened the door, it gently tapped the girl's foot, stretched out in the way as she laid on top of the boy. The pink haired girl, whom at the time I did not realize was a summon creature, looked at me curiously, as if wondering where in the world I came from, while her silver haired companion blushed in the brightest shade of crimson red.

"I'm sorry!" I apologized, it was the only thing that came to mind when I thought of what to do. "I was sleeping below deck and didn't realize we reached the port. I um... Sorry, I should be going to the Silver Guild now. I stumble out of the boat cabin. I don't know exactly where the guild is located but I can't possibly ask them for directions after stumbling on their love session.

I am in fact so distracted and surprised I forgot to grab my luggage. Furthermore I slipped when trying to get from the boat to the docks falling into the water and I can't swim. I frantically splash around and try to grab a hold of anything to stay afloat and when I look up I see the pink hared girl floating above the water and offering her hand in my aid. I grab it and she helps me out of the water. "Thank you, I don't know how to swim."

"You don't?" She sounds a bit surprised. "I thought everyone who came to Wystern knew how to swim. How come you didn't yell?"

"I didn't want to disturb you further. I didn't mean to barge in like that," or rather barge out of the boat's cabin at that very moment.

"Don't worry about it, Sugar is a happy girl! I'm glad you saw that." The girl clasped her hands together, smiling from ear to ear, and I realized she was floating.

She was floating when she saved me, but I was too distracted by both impending doom and embarrassment to notice. "You can fly?"

"Oh yes, I'm a summon creature," she explained, "my name is Sugar, nice to meet you."

I introduced myself as well and after we both knew each other's names another question came to mind. "Why are you happy that I saw you? I thought you would want some privacy."

"Oh no, couples do that all the time. It's called PDA, that's short for public displays of affection. Master Cleru is too shy to do that, but I'm glad that we finally did and you're the very first to witness us kissing." Sugar is a bit unusual, she's innocent and mischievous all at once, like the perfect mixture of cute and attractive, it's too bad I'm not like that at all.

"Well I'm happy you're not mad at me," I smiled. Then I remembered my luggage. "Um... I left my stuff on the ship."

"No problem, Master Cleru is very much a gentleman; he'll help you with your things. You are a fellow Craftknight after all," Sugar is a very kind being, I concluded.

We looked up at the edge of the boat; still a bit embarrassed Cleru was there, listening to our conversation. "I'll get your luggage," he bolted below deck.

"How do you know I'm a Craftknight?" I'm honestly not the best, but I'm not the worse either. I'm just an average Craftknight with no hopes of being a Craftlord but also not bad enough to be unable to join a guild... and the answer to my own question appears.

"You mentioned the Silver Guild," Sugar replied, of course, I forgot I even said it, since I was in such a hurry to get out of there.

Cleru arrives with my luggage, just two big suitcases; I don't own a lot, those are all my possessions right there. "I'll help you carry this back to the guild."

"Oh no, I couldn't ask for that. Thank you for getting my luggage safely off the boat though, I probably would have accidentally dropped them and everything would get ruined." I take the suitcases and start to walk away. "Thank you both for your help, thank you very much! I'll leave you two alone now; we'll probably meet again some time at the guild, bye!"

I heard Cleru say a shy goodbye, he was probably still a bit uneasy being caught with his girlfriend like that. Sugar was quite cheerful.

I ran through the park and once again stumbled upon another loving scene. A young woman who looked a lot like Cleru, save for the difference in gender of course, was kissing with a handsome blond young man. My heart nearly stopped there and then, how could I be so clumsy as to stumble upon two couples in one night? I really do have a talent for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chapter 2: Varil and Pratty

Other than the young woman looking similar to Cleru, I don't know her, but I know for a fact that's she's not Clarie. I dislike Clarie; she shows too much skin and pretends to be all innocent. Thinking back on it, Sugar might have been showing a bit of skin herself but there was something in her expression that made her look sincere, unlike Clarie she wasn't just pretending to be innocent. Sugar really is the perfect blend of innocence and mischief and I wonder if I, and any other woman should be jealous of her, yet I'm not jealous, somehow I admire her because she seems so open.

I recognize the young man; he's Varil, the son of the Gold Guild's master. He often went to Rugista to run errands for the Gold Guild, though I think he offered to do the deliveries just so he could take a break from the busy life of Wystern. I used to live at Rugista, Clarie was always flirting with Varil but he never returned the advances and I'm glad he didn't. I'll admit I liked him, but I would have lost all the respect I have for him if he had corresponded Clarie's flirting. I feel a pang of jealousy rising in my chest, but then I think that this girl, whoever she may be, must have earned this somehow, because Varil is not easy to win over.

"Um... hi," I wake up from my daze and notice that the girl is looking at me.

"What are you doing here?" I'm not sure if Varil knows who I am or if he is simply asking the random girl why she was spying on him, which I wasn't really.

"I just arrived... I.. um... guild..." I will my voice to work but it's simply not working.

"Oh, you're looking for the guild?" I'm pretty sure that Pratty was about to ask which one, but Varil spoke first.

"Second level, that way," and before I even thought about where he was pointing me towards, I was gone, too embarrassed to question his directions.

I must admit that my sense of direction really isn't all that great. I ran around in circles in the central tower before ending up running around in circles in middle Wystern. Finally, I found a building that looked official and stumbled upon Varil and his date yet again.

I must have wasted too much time being lost and by the time I returned, the girl with silver hair was walking Varil home. I arrived just on time to hear him complain "shouldn't I walk you home?"

"You walked me home yesterday, it's my turn today!" She seems tough but cheerful, tomboyish but charming in her own way, which makes her cool and I can't find it in me to hate her. It was so easy to glare at Clarie with everything I had, but not at this girl.

Once again, I am too spaced out to realize that I have been spotted. "Are you stalking me?" Varil doesn't sound happy.

I shake my head, cheeks ablaze. "I got lost."

The silver haired girl laughs, "I think she's telling the truth Varil, she is new around here. Master Bron never gives good directions so I know what it's like to get lost in a new place."

"Yes, that's right!" I nod assuming that since she mentioned Master Bron, she knows exactly why I'm here.

"Alright, go in then," Varil steps aside.

I mutter an apology and rush into the building. At the time I didn't know that it was all a misunderstanding and that because I assumed too much, and didn't ask enough, I was in the wrong place. I was supposed to be at the Silver Guild but I was at the Gold Guild. The fact that this was apparently Varil's home should have been my first clue, but I was too embarrassed and in a hurry to stop invading their privacy to give anything too much thought.

I wondered around the Gold Guild, without realizing at the time that it was the Gold Guild, until I saw a man and spoke to him, I introduced myself and explained I was looking for my room. He looked confused so I asked about Master Bron and his expression hardened. "Bron is with the Silver Guild." Obviously this man did not like Bron. "This is the Gold Guild," he clarified.

"I um... sorry!" As I rushed out with my luggage in tow I nearly ran into Varil.

"Watch where you're going! Oh it's you again..." I'm sure I must be getting on his last nerve by now and I can't really blame him. I interrupted his date twice and I nearly ran into him. I really am an expert in being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"You're mean, giving me wrong directions as if I'm not lost enough as it is," I'm not sure why I said that. Maybe deep down I had a small amount of resentment because I had and maybe still have a crush on him. But I hardly ever spoke to him, I always knew he was impossible to reach, and maybe because I firmly believed he would never like me, my chances were reduced to zero.

Without giving Varil a chance to reply I ran out of the Gold Guild as fast as the luggage I was carrying allowed me to move. I've never been particularly fast, but he didn't try to stop me anyway. Though I didn't look at him as I ran out, my guess is that he must have been looking at me as if I were crazy. I should point out that I was still soaking wet from when I fell in the ocean.

After wondering around hauling my suitcases around while searching for the Silver Guild and failing miserably to find it with my very poor sense of direction, I was at the Central Tower trying to find someone to tell me which way to go. That's when I peeked into a fancy room and saw a man eating curry.

Chapter 3: Sakuro

"Excuse me..." What a strange place to be eating curry. But this man is certainly handsome. "I'm looking for the Silver Guild..."

"Oh, I thought you wanted to scold me for eating curry here," he has a sense of humor. This man is one of those people I feel as if I've known for a long time even if I haven't. He's pretty calm and easy to read, or at least he appears to be that way.

"No, I didn't know you weren't supposed to..." I smile for the first time in what feels like forever and then I sneeze. I know this feeling in my throat, nose and chest signifies the start of a cold. It's no wonder really, since I've been walking around wearing wet clothes.

"Sounds like you've caught a cold. Are wet clothes stylish where you come from?" He jokes.

"Not really," I sniffle, my nose is starting to get annoying and my eyes are a bit watery.

"You should go home soon. Just go out the first floor and you'll find the Silver Guild if you turn left, it's not far," he gives me directions, which I am thankful for.

"Thanks!" I leave as soon as I have the needed information, without even inquiring about his name. I had no idea who he really was and knew nothing of his rank at that time.

I finally made it to the Silver Guild and was lucky enough to find that Bron was still awake. "Master Bron..."

"Took you long enough to get here!" He's back into his usual mood. "Your workshop is upstairs, I expect you to work day and night. Work really hard, don't make me regret bringing you along!" Bron shows me to my workshop where I shall be living, then leaves.

I used to live at Rugista Island. My mother and I never got along. My father in a way served as a barrier to lessen the tensions between us, but that barrier crumbled when he passed away. My mother is a bitter person who thinks only of herself and it's extremely frustrating that in the eyes of most other people she was the perfect mother. Just thinking about being forced into the role of a hypocritical weak little girl makes my blood boil. Eventually I left and escaped that sad excuse for a life. It's a new beginning for me.

When morning came I was full of energy, eager to start my wonderful new life. The first order of business was to help Bron with his tax papers. Well actually I wouldn't be working on the papers, just delivering them to someone who could do the job. I made sure to ask for directions before leaving, I think Bron got annoyed with all my questions, but my sense of direction is bad and I didn't want to get lost again.

To be honest I am not feeling well and I haven't had any food since lunch yesterday. That, mixed with my cold, is making me weak. As I headed to Sakuro's house in middle Wystern, I made sure to stay in the center of the path because if I fell into the water in my condition, I would surely drown. I was surprised that when I finally reached the house that was supposed to belong to Master Sakuro, the Craftlord of Sapphire, a familiar voice told me to come in when I knocked.

Then I saw him, it was curry man! He was the man who had given me directions, the same man who was eating curry at Central Tower. "Excuse me; I was looking for Master Sakuro's house."

"You've found it, what can I do for you?" I stared at him. I had spoken to a Craftlord and had no idea.

"I um..." I had to pause; I know I must have looked stupid just staring at him with my heart racing. Suddenly I didn't care that Varil had found someone. I've always hated my family circumstances that I felt prevented me from being myself, and thus having a successful friendship, very much less a relationship. I still hate that past, but I left it behind and with a new beginning comes a new crush. Yet, in the back of my mind, I knew it was impossible, but this time it didn't bother me because instead of not being able to try my best at all, I would simply try my best and fail. I know it sounds stupid, but after not being myself for so long, it feels so good to be free. "I have a delivery from Bron."

I delivered the papers to Sakuro, "this will take a while," he voiced.

"Okay, I'll tell Master Bron," and this time I actually remembered to give Bron his title of master Craftknight when I spoke, my last sentence was a slip off.

"Actually, I was hoping you would make a little delivery for me if you're not too busy." Sakuro retrieved an envelope from his desk drawer.

"Sure, no problem!" I agreed.

Sakuro gave me the envelope, "this report needs to be delivered to Master Ureksa."

I didn't know it at the time, but something had happened and Master Ureksa, the Craftlord of Jade, was being treated protectively by the other Craftlords. Master Sakuro was trying to help restore the normalcy and encourage Ureksa to participate more in the Craftlord business by including him in certain basic tasks and keeping him informed. "No problem, where can I find Master Ureksa?" I repeated the name to make sure I wouldn't forget.

"Most likely at the Central Tower, possibly on the third floor. They might not let you in, so it's fine to leave this letter with the guard." I nod at Sakuro's explanation, glad to be falling into the pace of my new life.

"No problem, I'll go deliver it right away!" For a long time I have been convinced that I am an expert in being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think I was even born in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, I have tried to fix that, and now it feels as if I'm finally making progress.

Chapter 4: Ureksa

They say that fairies are so small that they can only feel one emotion at a time. I am not really a small girl. Within what's normal for a woman I lean more towards being tall. I'm not thin and I'm not fat, just average. Yet, I tend to focus on one mood and everything else revolves around it.

If I am in a good mood, because of a certain event, then my good mood remains even if everything else goes wrong because my first priority went right. But the opposite is also true, if one big thing in my life goes wrong, then no matter how many smaller good things happen, I'll remain in a rotten mood. That's the way it was for a long time, but now I'm so happy to have a new life, I don't feel like hiding anymore and I don't mind that I made a fool of myself several times already even if I've been here for less than twenty-four hours. Right now I'm in a good mood.

Despite my good mood I got a little lost, ending up in the vacant lots of upper Wystern. I blinked amazed at my own bad sense of direction and tried to find the right place. I spotted someone walking down the hall and thought to ask to whom I could give a letter meant to be delivered to Master Ureksa, or maybe that person was Ureksa. "Excuse me..."

"Yes?" The elegant woman replied.

"I'm looking for Master Ureksa, are you her?" And so I proceeded to insert my foot in my mouth yet again.

The woman laughed at a joke I did not understand. "No, my name is Kouren, Ureksa will be leaving soon, If you hurry to the port you can still catch up."

"Oh, thanks!" I ran off wondering what was so funny, but if Ureksa was leaving I didn't have time to ask.

I rushed towards the port getting lost yet again. But by some miracle, when I asked a random passer by if Ureksa had left I was told there was a delay due to problems with a sea inhabiting stray summon creature and Master Ureksa had not yet left.

I rushed over and caught the finale of a battle. A man with dark and light hair, who used a spear, had finished fighting the violent sea monster and the port was ready to function once again. I did not wish to bother the hero as I searched for Master Ureksa, whom I thought was a woman due to the name. Quite frankly, I never stopped to consider the possibility of the name Ureksa belonging to a man.

As I wondered around searching, with the envelope in my hands, I felt worse because of my cold. The dizziness rushed to my head as I passed by the man with the spear. I tried to say something, anything, but no words came.

When I woke up I was in an unfamiliar room with the scent of curry in the air and heard some voices.

"Are you really so desperate to make me play hero?" I didn't recognize the man who was speaking, but he sounded accusing.

"I didn't know she would faint. It's not like I purposely sent her to deliver that report so she would faint in your arms and everything would be set for you to rescue her," another man spoke calmly. I put two and two together and figured out who he was. The voice sounded familiar and the scent of curry was familiar too, plus there was the mention of delivering a report. That was Master Sakuro who just spoke.

"When you say it like that it sounds like you really planned it," the other man sounds annoyed and I wonder who he is. Maybe he's the one with the spear who was fighting that sea creature at the port. The man with the pretty hair... though I don't think I should say that to him, yet somehow I feel as if I already have.

"Honestly, do you think I would do that?" Sakuro asked. "I knew she had a cold, it was obvious, but I thought she had enough sense to know if she was well enough to walk around or not." Apparently I don't. "Let's go check on her."

The two men entered the room which I assume belongs to Sakuro. I was now sitting on the bed with a pathetic feeling sinking to my stomach and yet I remained optimistic. "Sorry for being troublesome." Suddenly, I'm feeling rather self conscious, because I'm not the beautiful girl who any man would dream to rescue. I'm not the kind who can have a hero, but now that I don't have to pretend to be someone whom I'm not, even if I don't have amazing beauty, I feel that I can earn the right to have a hero somehow; but I'm not ready yet, I need to improve first.

"Don't worry about it, I should have sent you home," Master Sakuro, with you, like with Varil, I am completely conscious that you're out of my reach, but the truth is, that's okay, it's alright, I don't really mind.

"It's okay, I don't mind making deliveries; it's really no trouble." I want to fit into Wystern, I want to stay here forever, and the realization comes that I can. I may not be the greatest Craftknight but I'm decent enough and even if I am at the rank of an apprentice for a long, long time, I'll make it.

"In any case, you should return home, Master Ureksa will see you there," Sakuro gave the man with nice hair an amused look. "You can talk about shampoo along the way."

That man was Ureksa, I came to the realization and suddenly Kouren's amusement made sense; she must have known 'she' was a 'he' all along. It proves that once again assumptions lead to mistakes and one cannot judge a person by their name. "No, it's fine, I can go back by myself, I'm feeling better now."

I wonder about the shampoo comment, I wonder if Master Sakuro was suggesting that my hair is messy and I need to wash it. I probably do need to wash it. Yet somehow, I don't think that's quite it, Sakuro wouldn't be direct like that. I wonder if when I was out of it, being taken from the port to Sakuro's house, I actually did tell Ureksa he had pretty hair... Wrong place, wrong time, wrong line.

Chapter 5: Girls

When Master Ureksa walked me back to the Silver Guild at Master Sakuro's request, I was too sick to think too much, but I still thought... of Ureksa and of Sakuro. After I got better and continued my Craftknight work, I occupied my free time in various ways to improve myself. I also learned many things such as the fact that both Cleru and Pratty share the title of Craftlord of Iron. Those two are twins, an obvious fact just by looking at them. Cleru and Sugar are in love and engaged, according to her. Pratty and Varil had been dating for less time than Cleru and Sugar, but they're doing great, and after getting to know Pratty I found myself able to be happy for them.

Varil stopped looking at me strangely after my behavior settled into what he thought fell within the norm and he realized Pratty and I had become friends. Razzy and I get along pretty well, I'm content ignoring Ariel and Mariel and they ignore me in return, but Sanary and I don't really get along. The others can tolerate her mood swings but I'm not going to start spontaneously being nice because suddenly she's like a different person. I'm certain that girl is bipolar or has a split personality or something.

I honestly have to thank Sugar for playing make over with me. They say that if you feel good, you'll look good, but maybe it's the other way around. I'm still not gorgeous and no where close, but for once I don't have any big complaints about my appearance. I also need to thank Pratty for giving me advice in crafting. My skills are still not amazing but they have improved. Overall, things are going well.

Maybe I really was in the wrong place before, but at least I was close enough to the right place to get here. It's been a month and the memories of the past have willingly faded. I had nothing worth remembering before last month anyway; and here we are, remembering old times.

"So your crush was on Master Sakuro all along?" Razzy asks curiously.

Today is just us four girls at my work shop on our day off. Razzy, Pratty and Sugar. Zantek is here too, a robot who is Pratty's guardian beast. I think he's adorable, I love machines. I can understand him based on the tone and frequency of his beeps. Certain things escape me but I mostly get the basic idea. Since he is Pratty's guardian beast she can understand him perfectly.

"It's purely platonic, Razzy." I clarify.

"Platonic?" Razzy looks confused and so does Sugar.

"What's that?" The pink haired guardian beast asks.

"It's when you have a crush on someone but you know it can never work out," I try to explain it as simply as I can.

"Why not?" Sugar asks.

I start to list the reasons, "he's a Craftlord and he's handsome and cool." Both Razzy and Sugar blink. I'm sure they're wondering why those are obstacles if they're all good things. "What I mean is we're too different. He would like someone prettier and more talented than me." They immediately protest saying that I am pretty and talented, but that's what any good friend would say.

"Don't give up!" Sugar declares.

"Go tell him how you feel!" Razzy cheers.

I shake my head and look at Pratty for support but she only shrugs indicating it's practically impossible to argue with those two. "I'm quite happy keeping the crush platonic." It's true, honestly.

"But..." Sugar doesn't quite get it. "Why?"

"I would have to try too hard to be at Sakuro's level and I don't want to do that. I will just be me, not the over-achieving version of me. That would be exhausting, if I actually made it." I paused and gave my own words some thought. "I guess I only like Sakuro in a platonic way, I suppose I just don't like him in any other way so I don't want the crush to be anything more than platonic."

I think that Pratty was the only one in the room other than me who understood that. She decided to aid me in a way, and sink me in another. "At first everyone thought you were in love with Ureksa."

"Why is that?" Master Ureksa has an interesting atmosphere. I feel that he could be another platonic crush of mine, but even more platonic than Sakuro. Master Sakuro is the kind of person that's so easy to get along with and Master Ureksa is a little more distant, though I can't blame him after I heard his full story from Pratty.

"Because everyone saw him carrying you to Sakuro's house," Pratty replied.

"Ureksa thought that Sakuro sent me to him knowing that I would faint from my bad cold and then he could play hero to help clear his name of self inflicted guilt. I heard that later he even blamed Sakuro for that summon creature that attacked the port, even if it was only a random coincidence. Anyway, he was sort of stuck with me at the time and we haven't spoken much since then," though I won't deny I think he's way cool with that spear and his guardian beast is absolutely adorable. But when he's not training or defending Wystern from the increasing stray summon beast attacks, I hardly pay attention to him. Ironically it's in those moments when he's being heroic that he's most unreachable.

I wasn't able to get the Master of Jade off my mind after that. I guess I never noticed that I do like him, and thus another platonic crush was formed. Because that's all that it could be, a platonic crush and nothing more, I know that, I accept it, it's alright.

I feel so fickle having two platonic crushes, but they are platonic so I can have as many as I want, right? I keep telling myself that. It will be fine as long as neither crush becomes real; and I know it wouldn't work out, so I won't let them become real.

Chapter 6: Valentine

It's Valentine's Day and happy couples are all around. The Silver Guild is looking a bit empty with everyone going about their way. The only ones here are Zantek, who was giving Pratty some time alone with Varil, Razzy who doesn't have a date, Bron who has not yet expressed his feelings for Amariss, and myself, the girl who is only capable of having platonic crushes.

I just finished making a drill so I went to show Master Bron my progress. "Good, good, very good, are you busy right now? Think you can run some errands for me?"

"I'm not really busy. What do you need?" I don't have a boyfriend, thus I have no one to celebrate Valentine's Day with, so I might as well score some extra points with my Craftknight trainer by helping out. I do owe him a lot for letting me join the Silver Guild and live here.

"Cleru and Pratty both disappeared today..." Bron doesn't really sound surprised. No one really knows were the Iron Craftlord twins have run off to, but everyone knows that Cleru is with Sugar and Pratty is with Varil. "...so I can't ask them about this. I want you to go and... Well... just out of courtesy, so that she doesn't turn out to be allergic or something... it's a gift from the guild I mean..."

When Master Bron's character changes dramatically and he starts to ramble, everyone knows that it's something about Amariss. "Do you want me to find out what Amariss likes? Flowers and candy maybe?"

Master Bron nods. "It's from the guild..." he insists, though I know there's no reason for a guild to be sending out gifts on Valentine's Day.

"Right, I'll figure that out," and because I really want Master Bron's good mood to last, it will be good for everyone at the Silver Guild, I'll try to help him get a date with Amariss while I'm at it. It's been years since her husband passed away, and I think she's ready to see another man. Master Bron is no Shintetsu, whom I heard was quite amazing and handsome. Bron is tough and rugged, but he has his good points.

As I walk to Amariss' house, I see Kenon pacing around outside. He calls out to me and I notice that he's holding a bouquet of sunflowers. I know the flowers are not for me, though Kenon and I get along well we're not close. If they were for me I wouldn't know how to react, and thus it comes to my attention that if any man told me he likes me I wouldn't know what to do.

Though I am a hard worker in a sense, I don't like competitions, I like to settle into my comfort zone and steadily produce. I keep up a certain pace and thus some may say I work hard, but honestly I'm not trying to break any records. I can't possibly handle trying super hard to win a man's heart, because then I would have to keep up that pace to keep his heart, and it would be exhausting.

But then, someone who's so easy to win over, would he be worth it if I get him to like me without even trying? Does such a man exist? I don't think so, because I'm not special enough for any man to say he's been searching for a girl just like me, and being myself is enough. I do feel a whole lot better being myself and I feel that I can have friends. I'm good enough for friendship now that I'm more or less satisfied with myself. I'm good enough to date once maybe? but love? Is there even such a thing?

I'm lost in my musings and only half listening to Kenon as he confesses that he has a crush on Razzy. It's Romeo and Juliet all over again. He's from the Gold Guild, she's from the Silver Guild, and the guilds don't get along. Plus Razzy's uncle Bron can be protective, especially now that Razzy has started to look more like a girl, she's still a tomboy, but she's starting to look more grown up.

"Have you told her how you feel?" I ask dumbly, of course he hasn't, that's his dilemma. "I mean you should tell her how you feel."

"Do you think she'll like me back?" Kenon asks me as if I knew a sure answer, which I don't.

"I think so," it's an honest answer, not a sure thing, but very likely. "If you want, you can wait until Bron goes out. He might be spending the day with Amariss today," if I can manage to make it happen.

Kenon was happy with the possibility and so I hurried to talk to Amariss. She listened to what I had to say and I encouraged her to go out with Bron. Apparently she saw him only as a dear friend, but I talked her into it and she slipped and told me her favorite kinds of sweet, almond white chocolates, and her favorite flowers, red roses.

After talking to Amariss I informed Bron about my findings and he gave me money to go buy the gifts, claiming it was from the guild, and because a girl might choose more accurately. Obviously he was just shy; it's kind of funny seeing him like this.

Accomplishing my mission was not hard; I bought the gifts and delivered them to Master Bron, who in turn insisted that I went along with him to present the Silver Guild's gift, only to ask me to leave after he started feeling more comfortable talking to Amariss.

During that time, Kenon declared his affection to Razzy. When I went back to my workshop I saw them and they both looked very happy. I think Razzy was a bit surprised but happy. They're cute together; there are cute couples all around Wystern.

I wondered what Master Sakuro was doing so I casually passed by his house, the scent of curry noticeable in the air. It smelled delicious. I peeked by the window and saw Kouren and Ureksa about to have lunch with Sakuro. I wondered if Kouren was dating one of them and I wasn't sure which I would rather it be. They were both my platonic crushes after all, but either way I guess it wouldn't matter, because for Kouren it could be real, but for me it's only platonic.

Chapter 7: Sinking

I should be heartbroken, I really should. I found out that Ureksa was in Wystern because he was giving Rumari and Tyram some time alone. The three of them have once again become close, but naturally, Ureksa didn't want to play the third wheel. I feel a little sorry for Master Ureksa, tricked by Master Sakuro.

Sakuro has invited Ureksa over for a curry lunch. I suppose that he must have assumed Sakuro was single and bored, and since he didn't have a date he would hang out with anyone who was available. Ureksa agreed but alas, he ended up playing the third wheel anyway because Kouren was also coming over to spend the day with Sakuro.

I think Kouren used to be in love with Shintetsu. But either way, it looked like Sakuro had won her heart. I'm heartbroken, I really am, or maybe I'm not but I should be. My platonic crush has crumbled, and I rather liked thinking of Sakuro as the eternally single, impossible possibility. Because even if he is unreachable for me; I liked to dream, and my dreams are broken.

I suppose I still have that crush on Ureksa. Truthfully I'm not one hundred percent sure what made me get that platonic crush on Ureksa, I know what's to like in a general way, but specifically what is so attractive about him, that I cannot say. I suppose he is in a way mysterious.

A part of me is relieved that Kouren was with Sakuro and not Ureksa, and that's what puzzles me the most. I suppose platonic crushes might be just as confusing as real ones, if not more. Either way it doesn't matter because it isn't real.

Time goes by and life continues. It's been several months since I came to Wystern and I've never regretted it. For some reason, even if I still believe Master Sakuro to be the nicest and most handsome man I've ever met, I haven't been able to stop thinking of Master Ureksa and I can't help it but to work extra hard so that I can earn some free time and casually pass by him now and then. I'm so silly really, we don't talk and I can only pass by some many times without looking suspicious. I always offer to make deliveries and actually take advantage of my bad sense of direction using his location as a point of reference. I have gotten to know Wystern a lot better so I don't wander around in circles as much as I used to, but I still get lost every now and then.

Today Master Bron unwisely asked me to take out his boat, which I scratched against the docks when I left, yet miraculously I didn't sink it along the way to Vance.

Upon arriving at Vance I crashed the boat against the docks and it sank, but not too far since the waters in that area were not too deep. Still it's much deeper than it should be and the workshop below deck is now under water. So I sat at the docks crying like a helpless idiot, which I am. I didn't want to sail the stupid ship to begin with and now I messed up so badly.

"Are you alright?" A woman with a kind gentle voice asks. I recognize her as Rumari, though I've only seen her a few times visiting Wystern I know she's Master Ureksa's sister, and the original Craftlord of Jade.

"I sunk Master Bron's boat..." I answer between sobs.

"Well at least you're safe..." she tries to console me.

"But the boat isn't, how can I fix it? I really don't care if I were injured. Injuries will fix themselves in time but boats won't." I think I must have upset her but I didn't mean to.

"What are you saying? Your life is more important than a boat!" Rumari half scolds and half consoles me.

I nod slowly unsure. "I'll fix this somehow... I will... I'll get a loan and pay for the repairs, no one in Wystern needs to know. I'll pay it all back in installments and no one will even notice." I wish that was possible, but I don't know of anyone who would lend me the money to pull the ship out, save as much as possible and fix it, since it would be far for expensive too start anew. "I just have to figure out where to get the loan..."

"I can help you with that," Rumari offered.

"Really? That would be great." I'm still disappointed over the sunken ship, sad, angry and frustrated all at once, but most of all I can't wait until it's all fixed, done and over with, then I'll once again have peace of mind.

I followed Rumari thinking that she was leading me to some sort of bank, or towards someone who was in the loan business. But instead we ended up in her house; she took an envelope from a drawer and handed it to me. "Take your time paying for it; you don't need to rush it too much."

I stare at the envelope with wide eyes, "but... this is... are you?"

"In the bank business?" Rumari finished for me. "No, I'm not, but I've heard about you from Pratty and Cleru. They said you're trustworthy and a good person so I would like to help."

I am speechless simply staring at my savior. I try to push the words out, "I can't... do you need this for something? I mean you were saving it for something right?"

Rumari only laughs and I know she doesn't want to tell me what she was going to do with the money; and the feeling I have that I shouldn't take it increases. I really don't want to ruin whatever she was planning to buy; I have a feeling that it's something important. "Don't worry about it."

The truth is that even if I feel terribly guilty, I need this. "Thank you so much! I'll pay you back with interest as soon as possible, I'll bring the first payment really soon!"

Rumari shakes her head, "I don't want any interest and make sure you don't push yourself too hard, okay?" Words cannot describe her kindness.

Chapter 8: Debt

Master Bron found out what happened to his boat, but since I fixed it he forgave me. I've been working extra hard to pay Rumari back. I heard the money she lent me was for her wedding and honey moon expenses and I feel terrible taking it. I'll work hard and pay her back as fast as humanly possible, for a human of my less than great skill.

In an attempt to find a quick yet legal money maker, I tried combining different weapons. Master Bron saw my poorly drawn sketch of an axe-sword, with the handle of an axe and two sword blades were the axe blades would have been. He told me not to get strange ideas because "even skilled people would hurt themselves if they try to wield something like that," which I'm sure meant that someone of my level could get herself killed with it.

I scrapped the idea of an axe-sword, but I didn't give up on the combinations. Instead I put together a spear and a drill and dumbly laughed at my own messy sketch as if I was subconsciously catching some kind of hidden Irony. The pencil drawing with its crooked lines would make an artist cry.

Then I realized what the hidden Irony was and I laughed again, this time at myself. Rumari's brother, Ureksa of Jade, used spears, as did Rumari. I, a Craftknight lacking skill, used drills, because I can make some pretty decent engines even if I'm terrible at shaping metal with a hammer.

The art of forging still escapes me and my skill is still on apprentice level even if by now I should be an expert after all this time, but I guess I reached my limit. Instead I focus on the drills, on the engines to be specific.

Even if I knew it was a waste of materials, on a whim, I crafted the strange cross between drill and spear, the long handle of a spear, very poorly crafted and bent, crowned with a triangular spiral of messy metal that hid a good engine within.

I was so focused on my little deformed monster of a weapon that I didn't notice Master Ureksa of all people peeking over my shoulder, and I completely froze when I finally did. "You've been writing to Rumari, right?"

I nod and push a reply out my throat, "yes." I try to think of Sakuro, a platonic ex-crush to distract me from a current platonic crush.

"I'm glad you wrote to her about waiting," I honestly had no idea what Master Ureksa was talking about at the time, and it would not be until much later when I came to the realization that he was talking about Rumari's wedding to Master Tyram.

Rumari must have thought it would upset her brother if she said she lend away her wedding money and that's why she couldn't get married, so instead she was pretending to give the wedding some more thought and wait a little longer. I'm not sure if Tyram knew or not, but the thought of causing trouble for Rumari who had showed me such kindness bothered me greatly.

Truth be told, I don't care about strangers. Unlike a hero, I can see disaster and walk by nonchalantly, even if I actually had the skills to do something. I like helping my friends, the people with whom I know I can count should I ever need anything, but I do not like helping those who can't help themselves. I'm a selfish girl, but I'm generous and helpful in the eyes of my friends, the people whom I dim as reliable and able to help me if I'm ever in a jam. Even if I never ask for their help, knowing that I can, makes me feel that the favor wasn't wasted.

Rumari is different; she is truly kind without exception. Razzy isn't as picky as I am making friends, and Kenon is very honorable. Cleru and Pratty, the twin Craftlords of Iron are the basic living definition of heroes; they care about others asking for nothing in return and cannot overlook other people's needs. Varil... well he's a bit prideful but a good guy.

Here I am pathetically wallowing in self pity about how I'm not the nicest person in the world, and how I always have some kind of secondary interest in mind, even when I hope I never find myself in the necessity to collect; and I'm not really listening to Ureksa. I only caught the basic idea of the conversation, something along the lines of Rumari enjoying getting letters from me even if my grammar and spelling are terrible.

I think Rumari is amused figuring out what I'm trying to say and entertained when she finally does. Though my life is mostly dull, I like to retell the rare fun moments and I thought sending only the envelope with the money would be a little rude to someone to whom I owe such gratitude, so I wrapped it with a letter. My guess is that Ureksa has only seen the letters and not the money.

Everyone knows that the three of them, Ureksa, Rumari and Tyram, promised to always be together, but I think Ureksa is feeling too much like the third wheel and might be worried about being left out if Rumari and Tyram get married. I'm so lost in thought, my heart beating wildly and my head in the clouds filled with delusions that I know are delusions, that I'm not even sure for how long Ureksa has been quiet and I've been doing nothing to break the awkward silence.

"Um... I like writing to Rumari... she has interesting stories to tell..." I manage to choke out a few words in the stupidest tone of all, and I wonder why Master Ureksa is still standing there instead of just ignoring the silly girl who can't find her voice and leaving.

He merely nods to acknowledge my words as he is curiously examining the cross between drill and spear I was working on, and I wonder if he's horrified by the marred weapon. "That's never worked before," he picks up the spear-drill and tests its weight, it is relatively light, a whole lot lighter than his spear I'm sure, and I know the durability is quite low. Suddenly, I feel like an idiot for wasting materials on that spear-drill, and even more like an idiot for letting Ureksa see it.

I know of no other place besides my workshop where I could have forged this hybrid weapon that I shouldn't have forged at all, but I certainly did it at the wrong time. Wrong time, wrong weapon...

Chapter 9: Weapons

Ureksa runs his fingers up and down the spear part of the spear-drill. I blush in embarrassment of the lack of smoothness in the material. The spear handle as well as the outer cover of the drill are covered in uneven waves and bumps. He examines the drill part, the spiral had been sharpened with little spikes but they are a bit fragile since I assembled them as separate parts and didn't craft them directly into the drill piece, I don't have enough skill to forge it all at once.

"These will fall off, they're very detailed and sharp but they'll fall off. If you get a durable material and forge the entire drill piece with the spikes and thorns together they might last a little longer." I nod and from the corner of my eyes I look at the little pile of half melted Iron that was my failed attempt to do as he said. "The spear handle is too thin to house the rest of the drill engine, it should be solid but since it's shallow it would break easily and it can't even support the weight of the drill." Ureksa checks the drill part taking note of the part of the engine that extends from the drill to the spear handle. "The engine will be easily damaged; the drill and spear had to be made shallow to house the engine since the spear replaced the drill machine part that would have hosted the engine otherwise."

I continue to nod and feel completely ridiculous. With my experience I should know better, but I guess I'm a slow learner when it comes to forging, even if I am a fast learner when it comes to assembling and fixing engines. But I guess it doesn't make up for what I lack.

Master Ureksa is looking at the engine itself now, his expression shifting from disappointment to surprise. He activates the drill and watches it spin shaking in its handle. Obviously it's not too stable, this waste of material that shouldn't even be called a weapon is clearly about to fall apart. Yet Ureksa continues to watch the drill spin. "The engine is pretty good."

Words cannot describe the relief I feel hearing that at least one piece of my experiment is actually good. I almost say thanks for the compliment, yet I feel that I would sound arrogant if I did because honestly, the spear-drill is more bad then good.

"But it's too delicate..." I should have known there would be something wrong with the engine too. "The design is very detailed, it spins very fast but the parts are so small and thin they would break."

Durability has always been my weak point. While I contemplate the floor and wish to disappear, Ureksa starts laughing and I can't help it but to pout and snatch the spear-drill away. I set it in a corner and start looking over some materials trying to decide on something to make that's quick and easy while I wait for Ureksa to leave. I'm not even going to dignify him by throwing him out.

"I just remembered something," I'm currently ignoring him. "You can't take a little criticism on your weapon?"

I turn around, pace firm, glare piercing. "I know it's bad, but it's my experiment, my research, I didn't make it for your amusement."

Ureksa shakes his head, "I wasn't laughing at your... research."

"At what then? You were looking at it. Just wait till I discover something great." I really don't think that's going to happen but I can't back down now.

"Milkshakes," his answer comes as a surprise and I wonder how are weapons related to milkshakes. "My sister used to make them; she would mix in milk, ice-cream and a little syrup. When I had just started making weapons, the first drill I forged was something I made because the machine Rumari used to make the milkshakes was broken. I put the ingredients in a glass container and tried to mix them with the drill."

My mood lightens a bit with the story. "I can imagine you made a mess."

"Yes, and I got hurt making it. The glass pitcher shattered and sent little pieces of glass flying everywhere. It was a hot summer afternoon and even if Rumari had told me a thousand times it was best to wear long sleeves when forging, and to never even enter the workshop without shoes, I didn't listen. When I tried to clean the mess before Rumari saw it I ended up stepping on some pieces of glass and let's just say it hurt to walk for the next few days," we both laugh this time and a bit of the awkwardness is lifted with Ureksa's story. I heard that they didn't always live in Vance; it must be true since I can't imagine it being hot in the snowy town.

I think Ureksa must have a lot of memories like this with Rumari. Somehow I get the impression that he spent most of his time with her when he was little. I'm not sure if their parents were either busy or not there for whatever reason, but I know Ureksa is very close to his sister. I dare not pry into his past even if I am very curious. "It must be fun, making milkshakes with your sister."

"It's not something you've done?" It is what my tone hints and thus Ureksa asked about it.

"Not really, I didn't have any siblings and had no friends when I was little. I don't have happy memories before coming to Wystern, nothing worth remembering really, just an ordinary life playing a role I didn't choose." The bitterness is evident in my voice, I hate having wasted a good portion of my life stuck in Rugista with a so called family that did not care for my happiness, and in return I didn't care for them. But I have buried those memories to the point where I know it happened but remembering it is a blur, which is fine really, some things are not worth remembering. "I have an idea; I'll make milkshakes and share them with my friends. It's something I shouldn't miss out on, right?"

I feel an immense satisfaction in having accomplished making Master Ureksa smile, "right!" Then I start to wonder if he came here simply to thank me for writing to Rumari or if there's something else.

Chapter 10: Heartbreak

I conclude, with little need for too much thought, that there must be some alternate reason for Master Ureksa to be here. Obviously he's not here to see me; he must have stopped when he was passing by for some other reason. "Is there going to be a Craftlord meeting soon?"

"Not really..." Master Ureksa pauses, realizing the reason behind my question. He's about to explain but before he can, footsteps are heard. Those footsteps are not as light as Pratty's or as rushed as Cleru's. They're not sounding at a hyper random rhythm like Razzy's foot steps and it sounds like one set of feet instead of two pairs so it's not Ariel and Mariel. The pace is steady and confident, like the footsteps of a Craftlord. "Could you go see who that is and give me a signal?" Ureksa lowers his voice to a whisper for this request.

I nod accepting my mission, "sure," and casually walk out of the work shop. I find myself facing the Master Craftlord of Sapphire, Sakuro. "Master Sakuro, what brings you here?" My voice is loud disguised as cheerful. I want to make sure Master Ureksa hears me without sounding obvious.

"I'm searching for someone," Sakuro admits with a smile that tells me he has a pretty good idea where that person could be. "Has Master Ureksa been here?"

"I haven't seen him," I feel bad lying to a Craftlord, and such a handsome friendly talented one, but I did agree to help Master Ureksa, even if I'm very curious as to why he doesn't want to be found.

"Oh, well that's too bad, but I have been searching for a while so maybe I'll take a break." I know that Master Sakuro is about to come up with an excuse to go into my work shop, which is also my room and home. "Why don't you show me some of your latest works?"

"I haven't improved that much yet," I shift uncomfortably. I really want to accept. I know Master Sakuro is with Kouren and my platonic crush should be gone, but I think it's starting to surface again. I know that Master Sakuro will give me constructive criticism too, though he might be less direct then Master Ureksa. It's not like I expect him to think my work is perfect, I know it's far from it, but I want to show him. I have made little progress but I have made progress, even if it is a little.

"I'm sure you have. A Craftknight shouldn't be shy about showing her weapons." I know that Sakuro will not leave until he checks my work shop, and every excuse I give him will make him more suspicious.

"I was about to go out, actually... For curry!" Curry is Master Sakuro's addiction, he absolutely loves it.

Sakuro's expression changes, I know he wants the curry but he is not going to forget his mission of finding Master Ureksa, even if I'm not sure why he wants to find him. "Curry sounds great, but you wouldn't leave a guest like this, would you? A friend came all this way to see your weapons and you're throwing him out for curry?"

I am amused by Master Sakuro's dramatic tone, but I also caught a discrepancy in his speech. "I thought you were looking for someone..."

"Yes, that too..." Master Sakuro looks amazing with that hand in the cookie jar expression.

I find myself staring at him, even if I shouldn't. He starts to walk past me and I can't stop him. I freeze for a moment and when I finally react I grab his wrist. "It's a mess in there, you can't go in!" I look into his eyes for a split second in time; they are a deep endless blue like the gem of his Craftlord master title. Then I realize what I'm doing and let him go.

"I don't mind," Sakuro smiles in such a carefree way, thinking nothing of my mistaken action. But my heart is still pounding and I'm starting to wish I could have what I can't. A rush of frustration washes over me and I feel the entrapment I have not felt since I came to Wystern.

Master Sakuro enters my room, he's saying something about how it's really not that bad, only a little unorganized. But I'm not truly listening, I'm just watching him walk around my room, thinking of how things would be if he were my boyfriend coming to visit, or my fiance, or my husband helping me pack to move to his place, and I know these thoughts are wrong.

I never tried to pursue a relationship with Master Sakuro or anyone. All my crushes are platonic because I always end up liking someone unreachable. As strange as it sounds, I wish that Master Ureksa would console me, but I know that's not happening, and I honestly don't want to tell anyone about Sakuro and my broken heart.

Wait, that's right, Master Ureksa, he is right there and I didn't even notice for a moment. I give him an apologetic look and move my lips to word 'sorry', though no sound comes out.

"Well then, I'm not going to intrude with you two." I haven't really been listening to Master Sakuro as he looked at my strange spear drill creation, and only caught the end of his speech. "All six of us should go have curry together some time." To be honest, I have no idea what Master Sakuro means by all six of us.

Master Ureksa has not said anything but he mutters something under his breath about not needing anyone to entertain him. Then I reach a conclusion, this is all about Rumari and Tyram's wedding. Sakuro is offering his friendship to help Ureksa who might have gained a bigger protective brother complex all of a sudden, or maybe he feels that his sister is being stolen, or perhaps if what I heard about what he did is true he must feel uncomfortable facing Tyram. But Master Sakuro is trying too hard... the six must be Rumari, Tyram, Sakuro, Kouren, Ureksa and someone else, possibly a woman, but who?

I want them to leave, both of them. I don't think I can take two heartbreaks in one day and so close to each other. I'm so stupid, I never thought I had a chance, and I don't, so I shouldn't even be bothered, but I am. With the tension that has formed, even if this is my work shop where I can be any time, I can't help it but to feel as if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.

To be Continued