Other Fan Fiction ❯ Yami Tenshi: Angel of Darkness ❯ Raining Souls ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Yami Tenshi:

Angel of Darkness"

Chapter 5: "Raining Souls"

Disclaimer: Legacy of Kain, BloodRayne, and their respective characters do not belong to me.

Author's note: I'm sorry that I've taken so long to write a fifth chapter. It's just that I've been distracted by writing other fanfics, but I'm returning to this one. I've changed my mind on the Rayne/Raziel lemon; as in, I've decided not to do it, as it wouldn't really contribute to the plot. Also, please review; it lets me know what you think of the story and I like to know what you think.

Timeline: This story is set in modern-day America.

"And why should I come with you?" Raziel asked.

"Because if you come with me, you shall find the answers you seek," Iriden replied.

Raziel gave her a blank-eyed look of suspicion. "What makes you think that I'll trust you?"

"I do not think you will trust me," Iriden replied. "I think that your curiosity will overcome your distrust."

"Touché," Raziel said. "Fine."

"Come, then, Reaver of Souls," Iriden said.

Rayne's home

"So this is the infamous Raziel," "Mr. Locke" said.

"Yes, I am Raziel. What does it matter to you?" Raziel asked.

"Defiance," "Mr. Locke" noted. "Rebelliousness self-assertion. You remind me so much of Rayne."

"I know you and Iriden are not truly her parents," Raziel said. "So what is your real name, 'Mr. Locke'?"

"I am Azaris," "Mr. Locke" replied.

"Nice to meet you," Raziel said sarcastically.

"We do not wish you any harm, Raziel," Azaris said. "We wish for you to work with us."

"Work with you?" Raziel asked. "You already have a vampiric assassin. Why do you want me?"

"Your powers are incredible," Iriden replied, "especially for a newly resurrected vampire. Then again, a vampire's powers do grow with time, and I see that time has been very good to you."

"This isn't my body," Raziel said.

"Ah, yes, it belongs to the boy," Iriden said. "Adrian Evans."

"Do you wish to speak to him?" Raziel asked.

"Yes," Iriden replied.

Emerald irises and black pupils appeared in his eyes, signaling that it was Adrian in control. "I've gotten myself into a fine mess, haven't I?"

"Yes, you have," Azaris agreed. "But it doesn't have to be that way. If you and Raziel join us, then we will be able to give you a purpose."

"I already have a purpose," Adrian said. "To defeat the Hylden."

"Hylden?" Azaris echoed.

"Yes," Adrian replied. "They're ancient demons, the same ones that were responsible for the birth of the vampire race. Now they want to take over this world and enslave the human race."

"Who informed you of this?" Iriden asked.

"Why do you want to know?" Adrian asked. Somehow, he just felt as though he had to protect Janos and Kain.

"Very well," Iriden conceded. "It's not so important, anyway."

"All right," Adrian said.

"In the meantime, go down to the basement," Iriden said. "You'll find a subbasement where you can train with Rayne. Perhaps you'll learn to utilize your powers more efficiently."

"Fine, but I can't stay too long," Adrian said. "I have a curfew."

"Then I suggest you train quickly," Azaris said. He looked at Rayne. "Don't kill him."

"Like I want to," Rayne replied, smirking. "He's too hot."

Adrian and Rayne went down to the basement. Then, Rayne opened the door that led to the subbasement. They walked down the stairs, with no light to guide them. But who needed light when you had supernatural vision?

Finally, they made it into the subbasement. Rayne turned on the lights.

"Holy shit," Adrian said. "What is this, a giant gymnasium?"

"There are different sections here," Rayne explained. "One for swordplay, one for gymnastics, and one for hand-to-hand fighting. There's also our secret meeting room where we contact the other members of the Brimstone Society."

"Nice organization they've got," Adrian said.

"Yeah," Rayne agreed. "I don't like it there, though."

"Why not?" Adrian asked.

"It's just temporary," Rayne replied. "Until I find my father and kill him for raping my mother, we're stuck together."

"Somehow, I don't think it's really the Society you don't like," Adrian said.

"And how do you know?" Rayne asked. "Oh, never mind: telepathy."

"No, not really needed," Adrian contradicted. "I think you're just lonely. The Society doesn't really fill that gap for you because they're too busy with their own agenda."

"Enough of the touchy-feely crap," Rayne said. "Let's get down to it." She removed her arm blades and set them against the wall. "This is hand-to-hand, and I don't want to accidentally cut your arm off."

"Let's go," Adrian said. The two vampiric warriors went to the section of the subbasement that had been set aside for hand-to-hand fighting. Both shifted into fighting stances, then circled around each other, each waiting for the right moment to strike.

After several tense moments, Adrian made the first move, a fast spinning kick. Rayne caught the kick and added her own strength to his momentum to toss him. Adrian flipped backwards and landed on the wall in a spider-like position, then flipped off for a flying kick that caught her in the stomach.

"You're fast, kid," Rayne said.

"Who are you calling a kid?" Adrian asked.

"You," Rayne replied. "Chronologically, I'm old enough to be your grandmother."

Adrian chuckled. "You're pretty hot for an old lady."

"Thanks," Rayne retorted. "And you're awfully mature for a little boy."

"Little?" Adrian asked. "I'll show you little!" He went at her with supernaturally fast punches and kicks. Rayne was blocking those punches and kicks and countering with her own, but many of her attacks missed him and a number of his attacks connected.

He's fast, Rayne thought. I should be grateful he and Raziel aren't working in concert.

Finally, she managed a low sweeping kick that knocked Adrian's legs out from under him.

"Is that enough for you?" Rayne asked, smirking.

"My turn," Adrian replied, but it didn't really sound like him.

Rayne had only a split second to think Raziel before he performed a spinning cartwheel in midair that ended with a hard kick that had her on the ground.

"Now who's had enough?" Raziel asked, smiling.

"You once I'm through," Rayne retorted. She flipped back onto her feet and they resumed fighting. She discovered that Raziel was an even more challenging opponent than Adrian. Sure, with the Soul Reaver and his new dark gifts, he was more powerful than most vampires, but he was still young. For all the martial arts training he'd received in his younger years, he still paled in comparison to her.

Raziel, on the other hand, was a well-trained warrior, having existed for thousands of years. Granted, he'd spent a large portion of those years in the spectral realm, but it didn't seem to have slowed him down any.

"You're good," Rayne said.

"Thanks," Raziel replied.

Rayne smirked at him. "But I'm better."

"We'll see," Raziel retorted. For his part, he was seriously beginning to like Rayne. She was strong, confident, a talented fighter, and strikingly gorgeous.

As long as you don't do it with her, I'm fine, Adrian said.

And what makes you say that? Raziel asked.

It's my body you're in, remember? Adrian replied. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of you using my body to fulfill your desires.

It is my body as well now, Raziel retorted. Just then, he barely caught Rayne's wrist and now he had her in a tight hold. She felt so soft against him, ironic when one considered her abrasive attitude. Her scent, like blood and honey mixed together, filled his nostrils.

Rayne just smiled. What're you going to do, Raziel? she wondered. Ah, it wasn't as though she was unaware of the effect she had on men. And apparently, the millennia-old angel of death was no different.

Almost unconsciously, Raziel's head moved closer to Rayne's, and she tilted her head up toward his. Before their lips could meet, a telepathic message interrupted.

Raziel, Janos' voice said.

Yes, Janos? Raziel replied.

There are Hylden in the city, Janos said. I believe that they're searching for you.

Yes, I can sense them, Raziel said. Out loud, "We'll have to save our dance for later, Rayne."

Rayne turned to face him. "All right, then. But don't tell me you're running scared now. It's not nice to tease."

"No tease at all, Rayne," Raziel replied. "It's only that the Hylden are coming."

"I think Adrian told me about those guys," Rayne said. "The creators of the vampires."

Raziel went for the exit of the subbasement. Rayne followed, but only to collect her arm-blades. As she was fastening them to her wrists, she looked at Raziel. "You can't go up through there."

"What, do you have some kind of secret exit?" Raziel asked.

"Yeah, I do," Rayne replied. "Follow me."

"Actually, I've got a better way of leaving," Raziel said. "Hold onto me." However, he didn't wait for Rayne to grant permission before he took her hand and shifted into the spectral realm.

"What the hell is this place?" Rayne asked.

"It's the spectral realm," Raziel replied. "I can travel through it and reemerge wherever I want in the material plane."

"That sounds fun," Rayne said.

Raziel and Rayne raced through the spectral realm and when they reemerged in the material plane, they saw Hylden hovering outside a nightclub.

"Are those Hylden?" Rayne asked. "They're sure ugly."

"Hylden can take other forms," Raziel replied. "That was how Lilin was able to get to Adrian."

Rayne flicked her wrists, shifting her blades into killing position.

A Hylden snarled and turned in Raziel and Rayne's direction. "Reaver . . ."

"Yes, that's right," Raziel retorted. "Reaver. As in this." Blue energy spiraled around his right arm before extending into the wraith blade.

"Dhampire," another Hylden snarled at Rayne.

"Yeah, I am," Rayne said. "You got a problem with that? Doesn't matter to me, anyway; I'll still kill you."

"You are welcome to try," a third Hylden challenged.

"I don't try, I do," Rayne retorted. "In your case, that means I will kill you, you ugly-ass demon freak."

"What do you want here, foul creatures of darkness?" Raziel asked.

"You are one to talk, vampire," a fourth Hylden snarled.

"You are the ones responsible for the existence of vampires," Raziel retorted. "So you should not open your filthy mouth!" In a black blur of speed, Raziel leaped at the Hylden and slashed with the Soul Reaver. The Hylden roared in pain and lashed back at Raziel, who darted to the side with extreme agility.

As for Rayne, she had her hands full with the other three Hylden. One slashed at her, but she dodged and sliced off the arm the demon had used in its attempt. Another Hylden leaped at her from behind, aiming to pounce on her and spill her blood, but she dodged.

Rayne's power of dilated perception saved her, as her hyper-acute sight caused everything to slow down around her. She leaped into the air and lashed at the Hylden with a whirling kick. Considering that the heels of her boots were spiked, the kick tore open the Hylden's skin. A third Hylden shot a blast of fire at her, a blast that she dodged.

"Fire, huh?" Raziel said. At his will, the Soul Reaver transformed into its fiery state, but it wasn't ordinary fire. The flame was black.

"What sort of power is this?" a Hylden asked.

"I combined the powers of fire and darkness for this," Raziel replied. "Dark Fire Reaver. Time to burn, Hylden scum." In a blur of unnatural speed, he slashed the Hylden, incinerating them. He smirked as the black blaze consumed them.

"Whoa," Rayne said. "That is powerful."

"I know," Raziel replied. Then they heard the sound of clapping.

"Bravo, bravo," a malevolent voice said. "You're very skilled warriors, the both of you."

"Why, thank you," Rayne said sarcastically. "Now come out so you can join your friends in hell."

"Silly girl," the voice said. "Why do you think we brought you and the death-dealing angel of darkness out here?"

Raziel growled in angry realization. "Janos. It's Janos you're after, isn't it?"

"Yes," the voice confirmed. "And right now, my servants are bringing him to me."

"What's so important about Janos?" Rayne asked Raziel.

"His heart," Raziel replied. "It has the power to bring life to the undead, and death to the living. In the Hylden's hands, it'll be a power source for whatever evil they're plotting."

"Correct you are, Raziel," the voice said. "Of course, there's still time to save him. But you better hurry up. It's not that much."

Then the presence was gone.

"Raziel," Kain's voice said. Raziel turned and there Kain was.

"Kain," Raziel said. "How did they get to Janos?"

"Dimensional gates," Kain replied. "They penetrated our stronghold, incapacitated me with glyph energy, and took Janos."

"We have to stop him," Raziel said. "If the Hylden extract Janos's heart, then they'll use its power to take over this world."

"Exactly," Kain agreed. "But you must know the truth first, about how your spirit found its way into the Reaver. Mere words will not suffice. So I will show you."

Kain touched the center of Raziel's forehead, and the memories flowed into his mind. When it was over, Raziel looked up, with the expression of one who has learned the truth after years of ignorance.

"So you and I were once one being?" he asked.

"Yes, we were," Kain replied. "We were the hero of the vampires. When we were reborn into our separate selves, you were meant to a dark archangel and I the father of demons. When you became the spirit of the Soul Reaver, you purified its powers and changed me back into who I was meant to be: the scion of balance. Now let Adrian out. These next words are meant for him."

Raziel closed his eyes and when they reopened, they were green with black pupils.

"So what part do I play in all this?" Adrian asked.

"You were meant to be the death-dealing dark angel," Kain explained. "Lilin infecting you with her blood was the catalyst. Without it, Janos would have never needed to give you his blood and you never would have become what you are now. You are the new hero of the vampires."

"Well, you're not leaving me all by myself," Rayne said. "I'm coming with you. And if you're the 'scion of balance,' then why are you a vampire?"

"I still exist in vampiric form," Kain replied. "But my true self is the scion of balance. If you wish to come with us, that is your choice."

"Let's save Janos," Adrian said. He warped into the spectral realm again, taking Kain and Rayne with him. When they reemerged from that realm, they were in the Hylden world.

"Is this where the Hylden come from?" Rayne asked. "Fucking hell."

" 'Hell' is a good way of putting it," Kain said, regarding the hellfire-illuminated dank darkness of the Hylden world.

Adrian closed his eyes, concentrating. A few moments later, he opened his eyes and looked at his two companions.

"I know where Janos is."

"Then lead the way, sexy boy," Rayne replied.

Adrian stalked through the Hylden world, headed for the place where they were holding Janos. Along the way, shadows darted quickly around them.

"Where did that come from?" Rayne asked.

"The Hylden," Kain replied. "They must know we arrived!"

Adrian summoned the wraith form of the Soul Reaver. "Yeah, they know. Not like they're going to be able to do anything."

Kain drew the corporeal form of the Soul Reaver. "Don't get cocky, Adrian. The Hylden are very strong and very tricky."

Rayne switched her blades into fighting position. "Let's do some real damage."

"The only damage that will be done shall be done to you, impudent dhampire," a Hylden said. He was standing in the midst of a large army of Hylden.

"How many of these guys are there?" Rayne asked.

"I lost count after four or five dozen," Adrian replied.

"You will not interfere, vampires," the Hylden said.

"We'll just see about that," Kain retorted. That said, the three vampiric warriors charged into battle with their respective weapons. Adrian ran around a Hylden and after completely circling him, the Hylden was caught in a ring of energy that constricted on him, cutting him in half. Rayne slashed at the Hylden with her arm-blades. Kain used the corporeal Reaver to draw blood from the Hylden and then tear them apart.

Adrian shot a blast of telekinetic force at a battalion of Hylden, clearing a pathway.

"Go, Adrian!" Kain shouted. "Rayne and I will hold them off!"

Adrian ran down the pathway he had just created. The Hylden tried to stop him, but igniting a few by looking at them was enough to keep the rest off his back.

The further I go, the eviler it feels, Adrian thought.

We must be nearing the place where they're holding Janos, Raziel replied.

Adrian once again found his path interrupted by a group of Hylden. "I don't have time for this," he snarled and fired more telekinetic bolts, knocking down the Hylden. Then he used the Soul Reaver's dark enhancement to blind them, shifting to the lightning enhancement to electrocute them to nothing.

Adrian paused in his running, but only to unleash his crystal-feathered black wings. Once they were out, he flew toward the chamber where they were holding Janos.

"There it is," he murmured. He landed in front of the entrance to the chamber.

How do your human police do something like this? Raziel asked.

In police shows, I've seen them do this! Adrian replied, kicking the chamber door open. He walked in, folding his wings so that they'd fit. When he entered, he couldn't believe what he saw.

It was Janos, chained spread-eagle to a table with the Hylden trying to cut through his chest to reach his heart.

"You know, if you wanted his heart that badly, you could try romancing him," Adrian joked, turning all eyes on him.

A Hylden growled in rage. "Leave, vampire."

"Sure," Adrian replied. "But I'm leaving with Janos. Think you can take me?"

The Hylden charged at Adrian, who proceeded to fight his way past them. A black-booted foot delivered a brutal kick to one Hylden, while a well-placed chop to the neck dropped another Hylden.

He flew up to deliver a kick to a third Hylden. A fourth came after him with an unholy blade, but Adrian countered with the Soul Reaver. Their blades clashed, but Adrian managed to gain the upper hand and slash him. Finally, he impaled the Hylden and ignited the Fire Reaver, incinerating him.

In a flash, Adrian was at the table where Janos was bound. "Are you all right, Janos?"

"I shall be," Janos replied. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Adrian replied, cutting through the chains with the Fire Reaver. Janos slipped off the table and fell into Adrian's arms. "A bit woozy from nearly having your heart cut out, I see."

"Yes," Janos confirmed. "Is Kain with you?"

"He and Rayne are fighting off the Hylden," Adrian replied. "Now let's get out of here."

Adrian and Janos departed from the torture chamber, headed to join Kain and Rayne. When they got there, they saw both fighters covered in blood and their clothes torn to some degree. But they also saw something else.

Rayne's eyes turned blood red and she went into a berserk fury, slashing and striking all the Hylden in her path. She was a terrifying vision of deadly and savage beauty, and by the end, there weren't any Hylden left to stand against her. Of course, there were always Kain, Adrian, and Janos, or so her berserker mind thought.

"Rayne," Adrian said. "Snap out of it. It's me, Adrian, remember?"

Rayne was breathing heavily and glaring at him with mad red eyes. Finally, the insane haze left her eyes, which had turned back to crystal green.

"Sorry," she said. "Blood rage."

"Blood rage?" Adrian echoed.

"Vampires are capable of going into a berserker state born of bloodlust," Janos explained. "In that state, all they can think about is killing their prey."

"Ok," Adrian said. Then he stiffened. "Can you feel that?"

"Yes," Kain replied. "The Hylden lord has come to fight us personally."

The air in front of them rippled and turned black. From out of that rippling darkness came a hulking figure of terrifying dark power.

The Hylden lord.

"At last you show your face," Janos said.

"You miserable vampire scum," the Hylden lord sneered. "You may have been able to defeat my soldiers, but you cannot hope to defeat me."

"We'll see about that," Adrian replied.

"Indeed we will, you foolish boy," the Hylden lord said. "Are you ready to die?"

"You should ask yourself that question," Kain retorted, holding the corporeal Reaver in an attack stance. Rayne and Adrian shifted into fighting stances as well, each one brandishing their own unique weapon.

The Hylden lord fired a blast of dark mystical power at the four, who dodged. Adrian flew into the air and slashed the Hylden lord with the wraith-blade Reaver. Rayne somersaulted into the air and slashed the Hylden lord with her arm-blades. Kain slashed with the corporeal Reaver.

"Do you fools honestly think you can hurt me?" he asked.

"Hurt you? We'll fucking kill you!" Rayne replied defiantly.

"So be it, foolish dhampire," the Hylden lord said. "Come at me. If you can."

Rayne snarled and charged at the Hylden lord, despite Janos's warning shout of "Look out, Rayne!"

The Hylden lord fired another blast of dark mystical force at Rayne, who blocked it with her blades. However, enough of the blast made it through to knock her off her feet.

"Are you all right, Rayne?" Adrian asked.

"I'll be fine, pretty boy," Rayne replied, getting up. "Right after I kick his ugly ass!" She went at the Hylden lord again, slashing and kicking viciously at him. She managed to do some damage to him, but not enough, as he finally got tired and swatted her into a wall.

"Rayne!" Adrian shouted and ran to her. Rayne moaned, half-conscious.

"Adrian, your blood has healing properties now," Janos said. "If you allow her to drink from you, she'll recover from her injuries instantly."

Adrian unbuckled his choker and removed it from his neck. Then he held Rayne's head close to his neck. "Drink," he whispered.

Rayne stirred, brought back to full consciousness by the scent of blood. She bit the vein in his neck and drank the blood.

Oh, shit, she thought. His blood is like nothing else I've ever tasted before. It's like liquid light and molten darkness in one! As she drank, she felt her wounds healing. Finally, she tore herself away from him with a moan of ecstasy that turned into a low growl. "Thanks, baby."

Rayne stood up, Adrian's blood surging through her veins. Adrian stood up next to her and buckled his choker back around his neck.

"Time to finish this," he snarled.

Adrian, let your spirit join with mine, Raziel thought. Together, we'll be able to defeat the Hylden lord.

All right, Adrian thought.

Their souls melded, a merging that was marked by a startling change in Adrian's body. The crystal feathers of his wings broke off and flew in all directions, piercing the Hylden lord.

"Arrrrrhhhhh!" he screamed, in pain. "What is this?"

"Your death," Adrian/Raziel replied. The Hylden lord, Kain, Janos, and Rayne looked at them in amazement.

Where there had once been crystalline black angel wings, there were now crystalline black bat-like wings. His skin was an even paler shade than it had been before, but now with a bluish tint. His eyes were golden-ochre and his fingers ended in sharp black nails

"What the hell happened?" Rayne asked.

"Their souls have merged," Janos replied. "This transformation is only the physical aspect."

"Do you think you can defeat me, vampire?" the Hylden lord snarled. "You cannot! I shall triumph, and the earthly plane shall be ours!"

"In your dreams," Adrian/Raziel retorted. The Hylden lord attacked, but he dodged with lightning speed. He summoned the Soul Reaver, which ignited into black flame. But there was a new element: purple electricity flashing in the wraith blade.

"What sort of power is this?!" the Hylden lord asked.

"Dark Lightning Fire Reaver," Adrian/Raziel replied. In a lightning-like blur of speed, he flew into the air and stabbed the Hylden lord in his heart with the combined Soul Reaver enhancements. Darkness consumed the Hylden lord and fire and lightning incinerated him.

The triumphant spirit duo floated back down to the ground. Their spirits separated again, and Adrian took back control. The wings receded into his back, his nails returned to normal, and his skin turned back to its normal snow-white color.

"Let's go home," he said.

Rayne's house

"So you do not wish to join us," Azaris said.

"That's right," Adrian replied. "I work best alone."

"We can offer you training," Iriden suggested. "You can learn how to hone your abilities in order to protect humanity."

"What do you think I nearly got killed doing?" Adrian asked rhetorically. "I was fighting so that humanity would be safe from the threat of the Hylden. For now, that mission is accomplished. I will fight to protect humans from other threats, but not with you."

"Too bad," Rayne said. "I really liked you. Oh, well. Since this whole thing is finished, we're going back to England."

"I'll miss you," Adrian said.

"Yeah, I'll miss you, too," Rayne said. She smirked mischievously. "A little something for you to remember me by." Then she kissed him on the lips. His lips had parted, ready to gasp in surprise before she'd kissed him, and she took that opportunity to slide her tongue into his mouth. She pulled back after a whole minute and smirked. "See you, baby."

One week later

"Pandora?" Adrian asked, having come over to her house to study. Now they were in her room. "May I tell you something?"

"Sure," Pandora replied. "What's up?"

"You and I have been friends for a really long time," Adrian said. "Since we were in kindergarten, we've been friends. But now . . . I'm starting to feel more for you. I think I have for a long time. What I'm trying to say is . . ." He was cut off by Pandora's lips on his.

Adrian kissed her back and they fell onto the bed, their hands roaming over each other's torsos. Finally, they pulled back, Pandora gasping for breath.

"I love you, too, Adrian," she said.

Adrian smiled. At last, everything was right with the world. Sure, he might be called to battle some supernatural evil at any time, but he felt he'd be ok. How could he be anything else, as long as he had Pandora beside him?

The End

End Notes: I know that this story probably wasn't so interesting, since you didn't bother to leave any reviews. Anyway, it's over now, so you can relax.