Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Moving on in Life ❯ Meeting up ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: Sorry for the long delay in updates. I guess this chapter is to put Kyouya out of his misery eh? My apologies if the story seems a little disjointed. I hadn't really thought past the first two chapters of what specifically I wanted to write. Short chapters for now. Hope you like it anyway! Read and review please.
Disclaimer: I don't own Ouran High School Host Club. Please forgive me for playing with the characters a little but I just like them so much. *Smiles*
 
--
 
Haruhi
 
I checked my watch again. I was early to our designated meeting place and there was still five minutes left until I had told Kyouya to show up. I looked at my outfit again and frowned. Perhaps it was a bad idea to let the twins dress me today.
 
I had confessed to them one night long ago that I might have feelings for Kyouya and they had interrogated me to no end. In my defense, I was rather drunk at the time, because it was one of their celebratory parties that were held right after each successful fashion show (they had quite a few). I felt a little obligated to tell them about today as I was nervous about what to wear and they had jumped at the chance to dress me willingly. I fingered the smooth haltered dress. It was a summer dress in pale blue that gathered around the upper torso and flowed past my knees. They said it enhanced my “slender figure”. Their words, not mine. I sighed. What if Kyouya didn't like this type of thing?
 
I heard a small cough and my head shot up. The object of my thoughts was standing in front of me with a slight smile upon his face. He was dressed in a nice dark blue gray-pinstriped dress shirt and slacks. We match! cried a little voice in my head gleefully. I banished the thought as he spoke. “I hope I didn't make you wait too long,” he said in his silky cool voice.
 
I forced myself to smile brightly, in spite of my initial impulse to melt at his voice and person that I hadn't seen for so long. “Not at all,” I reassured him cheerfully. I gestured toward the summer fair, “Did you really want to go or did you want to do something else?”
 
Kyouya coolly assessed the fair with a quick glance and smiled at me again. I wasn't sure how many smiles it would take to make my knees finally give out, but hopefully I wouldn't reach my limit today. “I believe the fair should be entertaining for awhile. If we get tired of it, there's an avenue over there with cherry blossoms where we can have a quiet walk or eat.”
 
Trust Kyouya to be able to make a plan out of anything. Chuckling to myself, I impulsively grabbed his hand and started dragging him toward the fair laughingly. He looked startled for a moment before his cool mask slipped over his face and allowed himself to be pulled away. I vowed to myself that I was going to take that mask away, if only for today.
 
--
 
“So how's Tamaki doing?” came Kyouya's voice suddenly as we were walking through the little carnival. His voice almost sounded a little wistful.
 
I smiled as I turned around, saying, “Oh, he's doing well. He really loves touring and doing shows. He says it's like international hosting where you get to make everyone happy at the same time.” Then I stopped, a little puzzled, before continuing, “Haven't you talked to him?”
 
He cleared his throat before coolly stating, “I still maintain correspondence with the baka.” Which meant they still wrote letters, I thought with a grin. He then spoke, hesitatingly, “That's how I found out about the engagement.”
 
I looked at him, confused. His eyes were cloaked but he was clearly studying me as if trying to figure out something. I wracked my mind for something to reply with and blurted out with the first thing that came into my head, “When is the wedding?”
 
I couldn't miss the startled look in his eyes when I said it. “W-Wouldn't you know?”
 
“Why would I--?” I started, before finally realizing what he was saying. Kyouya thought that Tamaki was marrying me. I closed my eyes for a moment before opening them and looking directly into Kyouya's eyes. “I suppose when Tamaki finally asks Miss Eclaire and she accepts, he will call all of us and most likely combust from happiness.”
 
Kyouya's eyes widened, and I saw a flicker of emotions - surprise, happiness, relief?—pass through them before he lowered his head and the sun's reflection on his glasses became an effective shield. I wondered a bit at his reaction before he held out his hand to me. I took it, still puzzled but willing to let it go if Kyouya didn't want to go into it.
 
He smiled at me, the first genuine smile from him that I had seen since our days in the host club, and said lightly, “Let's enjoy the carnival.”