Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Rubbing The Lamp ❯ Ch 23 More machinations? ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Ouran Host Club belongs to Bisco Hatori. I make no profit off this story. If Bisco Hatori-san wishes, I will remove this from the web upon her personal request.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 31
 
 
Kyoya would be there in 15 minutes to pick her up. And yet, she still was standing in front of her closet in just her bra and panties.
 
Should she wear the dress he gave her from their date? Except it wasn't a date, it was a wish and there was all that went along with that fact.
 
But for the place he was taking her, really, she only had two choices: that dress, or the one the twins made for her. And neither seemed to be the best choice for her first date with him. Her first official date.
 
A knock at her bedroom door sounded and she pulled her robe around herself. “Yeah, dad?”
 
Ryoji opened the door and leaned against the doorframe, looking at Haruhi with a small smile. “Hm. This can't be my daughter. My daughter always takes only about five minutes to dress. You've been in here for 10, and you've still got nothing on.” Oh, he was obviously amused.
 
“Well, really. I've never been on a date before. What do *you* think I should wear?”
 
Ranka-san's smile was soft as he said, “Funny you should ask. As I was coming home from that extra shift today, I happened to see this in a store window, and of course, I had to pick it up for you.”
 
He pulled out from behind him a deep plum-colored silk dress. It was a wrap-around, and would probably fit her perfectly. All the girly clothes he tended to buy her usually did - even if she didn't choose to wear them.
 
She hugged him. “Thanks, dad.”
 
“What are fathers for?” He exited the room. Once the door was closed, he sagged against it. Closing his eyes, he willed away his tears. There would be plenty of time for that at the wedding. Walking past the shrine to his wife, he whispered, “Darling. Our baby is all grown up.”
 
X
 
“Sirs, right this way. Your table has already been prepared for you.” The maitre d' ushered the group toward an out of the way table, which had been set up for five.
 
“That conniving bastard,” Hikaru grumped. “Reserving us a table. He thinks he's got everything under his control, doesn't he?”
 
The other boys just grimaced and continued toward their destination. Once they were seated, the maitre d' handed them a sealed envelope.
 
Tamaki opened it and read it before shaking his head, and handing it to Huni.
 
“My friends,” Huni read aloud, “I wasn't certain if you would actually come, but I hoped. No matter what it may seem like, I do value your friendship. And yet, here I am, planning to propose to the woman you all love. The table you have been seated at will allow you to see and hear us, but we will not be able to see or hear you. I have been called a master manipulator, so I'm certain you're thinking I have a grand plan for this evening. I do. But it's probably not what you imagine. What I'm going to do tonight is not just because you're dear to her. While I don't expect you to sit idly by and just watch, before you all let Hikaru loose to punch me in the face, let her have a chance to eat. I'm not going to keep it a secret that you're here. If any of you come swinging, I promise not to dodge, and that my bodyguards will be outside, out of sight. I may be proposing, but I can guarantee that my fate tonight will lie entirely in your hands. Regardless of what has happened, what will happen here tonight, please know that you have been the truest friends I've ever had. It's signed Kyoya.”
 
“What the hell is he thinking?” Hikaru grumbled.
 
But before anyone could respond, the waiter appeared to take their order.
 
X
 
In the back of the limosine on the way to the restaurant, Kyoya held her hand, her fingers interwoven with his own.
 
Her heart had been thumping since he'd arrived at her door, promptly at 6:45, in an Armani suit, with a single iris for her and a bottle of aged sake for her father. While at first glance, he appeared gaunt and worn, there was a crackle of energy and determination about him that was electric. Her heart felt energized - like it had when they were dancing.
 
After thanking Ryoji for allowing him to steal away his daughter for the evening, he took her hand, kissed it genteelly, and refused to let it go, even as they entered the Rolls. When she asked about it, he said, “I just want to prove to myself that you're really here,” and looked at her so intensely that she felt her heart bob into her throat.
 
The look in his eyes made it hard to believe that just that morning, she had been standing naked in front of him and he'd done nothing. The look in his eyes made her hear the voice from her dream asking, “What is it you want?” Oh, and it made her know the answer.
 
And then, they were at the restaurant, and he was escorting her to a table, past the maitre d', to whom he merely gave a brisk nod. Finally, after he seated her in her chair, he brought their joined hands up to his lips, kissed each fingertip, and reluctantly let her hand go so that he could push her chair in for her.
 
Then, he walked to the other side of the table and sat, smiling at her as she perused the menu.
 
“So, are you ready for your exams?” he asked, smiling.
 
She scowled at him. “Maybe. No thanks to you.”
 
He chuckled, “Well, maybe I can help you study.” Somehow, he'd taken hold of her hand again, and was stroking her fingers softly.
 
Her mouth quirked up on one side, “Somehow, I don't think that would be very helpful.” Eyes that were direct and clear made his breath hitch. It was with relief and exasperation that he greeted the waiter who had come to take their order. Still, he didn't relinquish his fingers on her own.
 
X
 
“Hikaru, you've got to calm down,” Kaoru whispered.
 
Fidgeting, he said, “But he's *touching* her!”
 
“It's just her hand,” Huni said softly.
 
Pouting, he said, “If I remember right, it was her hands that *you* found so attractive. Isn't that what you said that night?”
 
“Oh, shut up and just eat your dinner,” Huni glared at him. Knowing the senior could cause him serious injury if so inclined, he did as commanded and angrily thrust another spoonful of soup into his mouth.
 
X
 
“Haruhi,” he began, pulling her attention away from the final bites of her dinner. One thing was certain, these boys kept her fed well. “You were absolutely right this morning when you said that it's impossible for someone to assess what needs to be done until they know where they stand and what the options are. And you were also right when you said I needed to talk to you before doing… anything that might impact both of us.”
 
She just looked at him curiously and he cleared his throat. “I know I'm a cad. I'm selfish and I have spent years perfecting how to get what I want without others figuring out what I'm up to-”
 
“Unless they know you,” Haruhi interrupted. “I don't think you fool Tamaki very often, if at all, for example.”
 
He smirked. “True enough.” It was amazing how just being with her made something so incredibly nerve-wracking become easier, more natural. “And you. You know me, too. You've called me the devil, and you're not half wrong, I think.”
 
Cocking her head, she said, “Are you trying to scare me off? Because I don't think that will work. I already know what a jerk you are.”
 
He laughed. “No. Never that. I just want to be honest. I'm going to be a business man. A more successful one than my father, even. And my reputation will probably only get worse.”
 
She looked at him as if to say, “So? What do I care what other people think?”
 
“But I want you to know that if I ever, EVER do something that you feel is me trying to manipulate you, if I am ever less than 100% honest with you, I want you to call Hikaru and Kaoru and Huni and Mori have them take turns exacting retribution.”
 
Haruhi's eyebrows rose. “You mean, I'm not going to get to get first dibs?”
 
Chuckling, he replied, “Okay, call them after you're done.”
 
“What about Tamaki?”
 
“He's got too soft a heart. He'd just forgive me and move on.”
 
She nodded curtly and smiled. “Hn. It's going to be difficult for you, being openly honest. Should prove interesting to watch that challenge.”
 
He shrugged. “I'm not going to change who I am, I'll still be just as evil and conniving with everyone else, I'm sure.” She smirked and he continued, “The alternative, as I see it, is losing you. And that's simply not an option I'm willing to consider. Aishiteru, Haruhi. I don't just like you. This isn't infatuation. It's not lust. I love you.
 
“So, in the spirit of being completely honest, you should know that I invited everyone from the host club here tonight.” She jerked back in surprise. “It's not to manipulate things. Not really. I want things to turn out a certain way, but there's no telling how they'll end up.
 
“I'm not even sure if they're here or not. I wouldn't blame them for hating me too much to show up, but if they're here, I reserved a table for them over behind that painted screen. It's a scrim - lets those behind it see out, but no one else can see in.”
 
She turned and looked, squinted at the screen. Then turned back to him with a tight look on her face. “Why would you hide them from me? What's your scheme?”
 
“No scheme. I'll explain everything.
 
“I know how important your friends are to you. They're… important to me, too. And I don't know how to make it right with all of them. With any of you.
 
He began to have a bit of the frantic look that he had the night before and she relented, took his hand and said, “Just slow down and tell me what's going on.”
 
He set his glasses on the table and rubbed at his eyes. “When I saw you walk out of that dressing room, Haruhi, I thought you'd hate me for the rest of your life. The look on your face will haunt my nightmares until the day I die. I could easily spend the rest of my life striving to ensure you never have that look on your face again. If I accomplish that, it will be a life well lived.”
 
He closed his eyes and shook his head. “The whole wish thing was beyond stupid. I couldn't recognize how much you mean to me, so I tried to just take what I want instead of asking for it. I just never imagined there could ever be a chance that someone like you would for one second…”
 
He sighed and then gave her a tight smile.
 
“So now, I have something very important to ask you.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a little box, then knelt next to the table. “Will you marry me?”
 
Her jaw fell open as she stuttered, “M…Marry?”
 
“Not today. Unless you want to. I'll wait `til whenever you're ready. I just want to be with you forever and even that may not be enough. I want to wake up next to you. Like this morning, I want that every morning. I want to fall asleep next to you. I want to be there for you. I want to see you wow my father and see you win your first court case. I just want to be by your side.”
 
He opened the box and then closed it.
 
“I asked your father for permission and he gave his blessing. Even my father… The only thing missing is… I really wanted our friends to be here when I asked. They're our family - just like Tamaki always said. Honestly, if they won't support this, it just won't be the way it should be.
 
At that moment, five beautiful young men came down the hall toward their table. The scrim was rather long, and it had taken them a few seconds to get around it. Tamaki kept trying to block them, but Huni's face was tight and disturbed. Mori looked like he believed he'd failed in his duties. Hikaru looked like he was about to throw up. And Kaoru seemed to be spitting hornets.
 
The redhead pulled Kyoya up from where he was kneeling and hissed through his teeth, “You woke up next to her this morning? You bastard! Hikaru was right. You just wanted us here just so you could gloat. Didn't you? DIDN'T YOU!”
 
A hand landed on Kaoru's shoulder and he slapped it off. A soft “Ow!” made him spin to see Haruhi holding her hand to her chest. She was scowling at him. “I'm going to assume that your reaction is because you've had wine with your dinner and you're speaking out of your ass and not actually accusing me of what it sounds like you are.”
 
“Not you…” His voice faded and he looked at the ground so that he wouldn't have to see her disappointment again.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kyoya said softly. “I didn't mean to… I just wanted... Kaoru, Hikaru. Huni, Mori. Tamaki. I just wanted you to be here because you're…” His voice dropped off.
 
“I won't lie. Even if you don't approve, I will still try to convince Haruhi to marry me. I won't lie to her, and I won't manipulate, but I'll keep at it until she says yes. If there's one thing this past week has taught me, it's that I can't go back to living without her. But.
 
“It would be so much better if…
 
“If anyone wants to punch me, go ahead. If that will make it better. Hit me.” The grand manipulator stopped and looked around helplessly.
 
“You know, I think I'll take you up on that.” And then a fist connected with the underside of his jaw in a fierce uppercut, lifting the young man off his feet and causing him to fly back about 6 feet, only to land in a pile on the floor.
 
“Kyoya!” Haruhi ran over to where he was unconscious on the floor.
 
“Well. I feel better.” The oldest member of the group smiled. “How about the rest of you?”
 
Haruhi felt for a pulse, as she hissed over her shoulder, “Huni, how could you?!”
 
He shrugged. “Someone had to do it. I figured it was better to be hit by someone who knows what he's doing.” He turned to the others. “Anyone else feel like hitting him now?”
 
The other boys exchanged a look, shrugged and shook their heads. “No. You pretty much handled it,” Hikaru said with some humor. “I feel pretty square.”
 
“Yeah, me too,” Kaoru said. “I'm surprised, but yeah. No. That about does it.”
 
“Hn,” Mori replied.
 
Tamaki sat down hard in a chair, his mouth hanging open. It was hard to tell if he was frightened or amused by what had just happened.
 
“Nnnnh.” Kyoya grunted and blinked his eyes. “Nnnnh.” Then his head fell back again and hit the floor, his eyes closed.
 
“Yeah. I really do feel better now,” Huni stated and turned toward the other boys. “Well, I think we've done enough here. He walked over to Haruhi, bent and kissed her on the forehead. “Tell Kyoya thanks for the dinner, and we'll see him at the club tomorrow. We've got a banquet to plan. Okay, let's go home and study, guys.”
 
He turned to leave and the rest followed suit. Hikaru smiled and nodded before turning and Kaoru did the same, like mirror reflections. Mori went so far as to wave.
 
“Is that it?” Haruhi asked.
 
“Pretty much,” Huni said. “It's like Tamaki said over dinner. Kyoya is our friend. We need to forgive, even if we don't forget. Otherwise, we'll be forcing you to choose between us or him. And then,” he winked, “we wouldn't be close by if you ever decide you made a mistake.”
 
With the four boys gone, Tamaki stood and smiled at Haruhi. “When Kyoya wakes up fully, would you apologize to him for me? When I suggested that he propose with the club here so they could make requests of him that he had to grant in front of you - like to counter the whole wish thing - I didn't think fighting would be involved. I thought they'd make him crawl or something juvenile like that. But then, maybe he wanted someone to hit him.”
 
He stood and gave a one arm hug to Haruhi, who was still kneeling by Kyoya.
 
“And don't forget to give him an answer. He's half convinced you'll say no, you know.”
 
And then, she was left with just one of her beautiful boys, lying unconscious next to her.
 
X
 
 
The waiter came over with a cold pack just as Kyoya came to. Haruhi had lifted his head to place it on her lap and was brushing the hair out of his face.
 
“Hi,” he smiled at her.
 
“Hi yourself,” she replied testily.
 
He reached up one hand to rest against her cheek. “You stayed.”
 
“Yes. I'm not quite sure why.”
 
He closed his eyes. “Oh.”
 
“So. Are you going to put it on?”
 
His eyes popped open to see her hand in front of them. “Does that mean-” He sat up quickly to look at her and a flood of pain hit him. He grabbed the back of his head. “Ow. I really thought Hikaru would be the one to punch me. Damn.”
 
Haruhi took the cold pack from where the waiter had left it and placed it on the back of his head. “Actually, I think Huni was going for effect and just didn't expect you to land so badly. He hit your chin, not your head.”
 
Kyoya chuckled morosely. “Remind me never to piss him off again.”
 
She smiled.
 
Holding the bag in place with one hand, he pulled the ring out of the pocket where he placed it as he saw the boys coming down the hall toward them. He held it back, away from her. “This isn't the real ring. It's just a promise ring. None of the rings they had were… you. So, this is just a placeholder until the real one's made, okay?”
 
She smiled at how nervous he looked.
 
He took the ring out of the box and she held her hand out for him to slip it on. His hand was shaking and it took three tries.
 
“So you'll marry me?” he asked again.
 
Rolling her eyes, she replied, “If you can manage to not piss me off too much in the time between now and when we graduate from college. Then, yes. I will marry you.”
 
As they leaned in to kiss each other, the ice pack slipped to the floor, forgotten.
 
X
 
AN: Just one more chapter to go, folks! Oh, and then there's the alternate ending. Don't you go worrying that I forgot that one.
 
Secondary Disclaimer: All characters in this story are at least 18 years of age. While that might seem unlikely - as three of the characters are only sophomores in high school, I figure it this way: if Bisco Hatori-san can ignore the students graduating for two years in a row and keep everyone in the same grade, I can then apply that logic to their ages. Therefore, Haruhi, Kaoru and Hikaru are just 18. Kyoya and Tamaki are about to turn 19. Mori is about to turn 20, and Huni already is 20. (Therefore, according to Japanese figuring, Huni is the only adult. :P )