Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Two Years Later ❯ Two Years Later ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is a companion to Revisiting Old Memories, but it can be read alone.
I don't own The Host Club or the Song.
 
Kaoru POV
 
You must have been in a place so dark
 
“Hikaru…” It was now two years after Hikaru Hitachiin had ended his own life. Two years of pain and absolute misery. I briefly wonder why my thoughts are almost in third person. I suppose it's so I can feel as if I'm talking about someone I don't know. Someone I've never met, not my brother. Not my twin. Not my partner in crime for most of my life. Just some random stranger off the street. Every year since It happened, I think and I wonder how I never noticed that my twin was losing to the darkness inside of him.
 
You couldn't feel the light
 
Why didn't he ever ask for help? Any of the members of the host club would be willing to help him. Did he think that we would think less of him? That's not even possible. Everyone has some rough patches in their lives. We were like the light in his darkness. It pains me to think that the dark was bigger then the whole Host Club put together.
 
Reaching for you through that stormy cloud
 
I had simply thought that he was upset about something. May he had a design in his head, but didn't know how to go about bringing it into the world. I tried to pull him back to me. I really and truly did. I wish I was strong enough to bring him back. I might've been able to do it too. If I could only go back in time…
 
Now here we are gathered in our little town
 
Flashback
 
I look around the room seeing all the people that truly care and the ones that are only here out of obligation. The one's who never knew him. It's almost like a small town, I can imagine that. All the people here are the ones that live in the town. The people that care are the friends and family. Everyone else is simply the other people that live in the town.
 
End Flashback
 
Now we, the Host Club, get together the day After. Every year and we remember the good and the bad. The fun and the sad. We are all that's left of the small town.
 
This can't be the way you meant to draw a crowd
 
“You always loved the attention, didn't you Hikaru?” this year I feel slightly bitter towards him, and I don't hesitate to tell him that as I sit on his deathbed. On this day every year so far I can see him. His ghost I mean. He doesn't talk; he just watches me and listens to what I have to say. Every once in a while his expression will change because of something I said. Now he has a slight smile on his face, as if agreeing sadly.
 
Oh, why that's what I was asking
 
“Why did you do it? Wasn't there another way to deal? Why, brother? Why?” I'm crying and my brother, my twin, my other half smiles sadly once again and shakes his head no. Then he points at his wrist and I can see the scars that he covered with wristbands when he was alive. They're part of me. That's what he seems to be saying.
 
Was there anything I could have said or done
 
As soon as I think that part of me screams and rages. YES!! There was something you could have done! Baka! And another part, the more reasonable one, says no, it was only a matter of time. I'm torn but leaning towards yes. I ask him. He stands up, angry. No! He appears to be saying. No! No! No! There's NOTHING you could've done! NOTHING! And you said exactly what I wished you to say!
 
Oh I had no clue you were masking a troubled soul
 
“I didn't know.” I moan into the pillow and my fists clench as I punch the ed. But. I don't feel strong. Not when I'm crying the way I am with my brother watching me. “I'm you're twin brother and I didn't KNOW! Didn't know how much you needed me. What kind of little brother am I?”
 
God only knows what went wrong
 
“Hikaru.” His name is nothing more than a pained sob I know.
 
And why you'd leave the stage in the middle of a song
 
You're life always did seem like a song to me. A beautiful symphony full of the most beautiful instruments. Now that symphony is nothing more than a memory.
 
Now in my mind I'll keep you frozen as a 17 year old
 
You always were a bit impatient eager to get everything done as fast as possible without thinking of the consequences. It doesn't matter too much to you. After all, who can punish a dead person? You can only punish those left behind.
 
Rounding third to score the winning run
 
You beat me at Life that's for sure. The winner is always the first to die in my mind.
 
You always played with passion no matter what the game
 
You're a very passionate person Hikaru. You tried to tie up my lose ends with a note. A note that I can sense is filled with all the emotions you were afraid to voice.
 
When you took the stage you shined just like the sun
 
I remember when I entered our room to see you dead. You looked so peaceful so happy as if this is what you had been looking for all your life. You were like the sun. you looked almost as if you were sleeping on the night of your wedding. That's how much you were glowing.
 
Oh why that's what I keep asking
 
Was there anything I could have said or done
 
Oh I had no clue you were masking a troubled soul
 
Oh God only knows what went wrong and why you would leave the stage in the middle of a song
 
Now the oak trees swaying in the early autumn breeze
 
Today I'm meeting the Host Club at your ultimate resting place, Brother. It's a nice Fall day and there's a gentle breeze, the kind you would've loved. And, it's surrounded by your favorite kind of trees. Oak.
 
The golden sun is shining on my f ace
 
With the sun shining the way it is, it seems like a bad omen. It's too nice of a day to be the day after. I wish it would rain. I wish that the sky would cry for you.
 
Tangled thoughts I hear the mocking bird sing
 
It mocks my confused mind because I find myself thinking that, since we are twins, two parts of a whole, my fate is linked to yours. On the same day of you death. That's the day of mine. I just CAN'T leave any loose ends the way you did.
 
This world really aint that bad a place
 
It can't be. Not if we will meet again. Wait for me Hikaru. I will join you in the peaceful chaos known as Death.
 
Oh there's no comprehending and who am I to judge or explain
 
How can something so peaceful for you be so chaotic for me, Hikaru?
 
But I do have one burning question
 
Who told you life wasn't worth the fight
 
They were wrong
 
They lied
 
Now you're gone and we cry
 
The other Host Club members join me. We hold hands and hug and cry together. And we read his grave.
 
It's not like you to walk away in the middle of a song
 
Your beautiful song
 
Your absolutely beautiful song
 
Hikaru Hitachiin
 
June 18, 1992- October 7, 2009
 
Why?
 
Loved and remembered by the Host Club and Kaoru Hitachiin. His twin.
--
 
So what do you think? The song is Why by Rascal Flatts. It's on the album Unstoppable. The ghost can be figurative or literal, depending on your beliefs. In my mind though it is literal. I believe in ghosts because it's hard not to believe in things you see and hear and feel and talk to. Tell me though. Do you think the ghost should be literal or figurative?
Note to everyone - This is dedicated to anyone and everyone, especially those that have killed themselves, thought about killing themselves, and or knows someone that has killed him or herself. Thanks for reading and I hope you liked it. Happy Late Halloween!