Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Widening Gap ❯ Hikaru ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Widening Gap
Part three - Hikaru
 
 
 
Haruhi and Kaoru left. The class left. No mumbling voices, no sound of chairs being pushed around, no Kaoru, no Haruhi. He's alone.
 
She's talking? Oh… She's talking.
 
Hollow voice, black eyes. So different from his. Theirs. Hers.
 
How boring.
 
She's talking. Dropping grades, who cares? He already knows that he is not Kaoru. They are not the same. He knows that. Because he has been told so.
 
He was angry with her then, yes. She's breaking the rules, always breaking the rules. It was so easy to follow them. Why couldn't she?
 
But he is not angry anymore. How can he? Because she has brown, brown eyes and thin, fine hands, and her shoulders are lean under the cloth of her clothes.
 
He tries to listen a little more, hollow voice, while she tells him can't you ask Kaoru-kun or Fujioka-kun to help you? They both have excellent grades in Japanese.
 
But Hikaru is still better than Kaoru in math.
 
He agrees quickly, and with a sigh - why are you looking at me like that? We are not the same person - she allows him to go.
 
They are not the same person.
 
When he steps out in the corridor, he is greeted by Kaoru. He closes the distance between them, no emptiness, oh, how he still loves this illusion. His arm rests on Kaoru's slim shoulders, and he smiles, because his shoulders are the same. His hair is the same. His face is the same.
 
Even if they are not the same.
 
But…
 
He thinks that he sees something in Kaoru's eyes, something that he does not like, something that is strange, and scary, and for a moment he feels that he needs to ask, what is it, but that scares him even more. There are no questions between them, there shouldn't be any questions between them - we know each others, right, Kaoru? Even if we're not the same? - but then he notices that Haruhi is not there, and Kaoru's eyes, strange, full of something he doesn't want to know, Kaoru's golden mirrors, their eyes are not enough, he need another pair of eyes.
 
“Where's Haruhi?”
 
Kaoru looks away, slightly, what are you looking at? There's nothing there.
 
And maybe that is what is wrong? Is that it, Kaoru? Do you feel empty too?
 
Without her?
 
But Hikaru still doesn't ask.
 
“She went ahead.”
 
Hikaru does not like emptiness. Or hollowness. He doesn't like it when eyes that he needs just go missing. “Ah. Lets go catch up on her then.” And there's no hesitation in his steps, as he walks beside Kaoru, and he thinks that maybe he should ask her, ask her if she can tutor him in Japanese, sometime.
 
She and Kaoru, both of them. Of course.
 
Because Hikaru does not like emptiness.
 
When they enter, Tono is all over them in an instant. Youre' late! He shouts, irresponsible, he calls them, hopeless, he calls them, and Hikaru pouts, because it wasn't his fault, and the one who does not take responsibility is not him, it is not Kaoru, it is not them.
 
It is not their fault, the emptiness. They are always there.
 
It is her.
 
But Tono will not understand. He is so full of himself, of his ideals and his dreams, that there is no room for emptiness.
 
And he has to tell Tono. “Haruhi is almost as late as we are,” he says, and he wonders if Haruhi will be angry with him for accusing her. And he wonders why Kaoru didn't say it too.
 
He almost glances at his twin - why didn't you say it too? - but then Kaoru sneaks his arm around Haruhi, and he echoes “Yeah, why won't you yell at her, for a change?” and Hikaru is glad, because Kaoru's missing voice made his voice sound so hollow.
 
And Hikaru does not like hollowness.
 
Tono, of course does not take this lightly, and he becomes angry, yelling about nothing, about his “daughter”, about the Club, and Hikaru smirks, he knows that their success will fill the emptiness, the ever threatening emptiness, for a while longer.
 
He places his hands on top of Haruhi, and rests his head against them. Heh, he can see how her eyes looks, even without looking, bored, cynical, and he can feel Kaoru just to the right, and there are no emptiness left.
 
Then Kyouya interrupts Tono's speech by reminding them that it is time to open the Club for their customers.
 
Hikaru sighs a little, before stepping away, empty, emptier, but not alone. He walks after Tono, and Kyouya, and he has taken two steps already when he notices that Kaoru isn't there.
 
There's a small shiver running up his spine, and he doesn't dare to look back, because Haruhi is standing behind him too, both of them, their faces, their eyes, his.
 
His?
 
What is it, Kaoru?
 
The question hangs heavy in his mind, but he does not ask, he can not aks, because they do not ask each others such things. There never was any questions between them. ?
 
He will not look back, so he drags his next step out, a little, and then Kaoru is by his side, and he is smiling, and Haruhi says something behind them, tone bored, voice real; Anou… Tamaki-senpai… and it is not empty, they are there.
 
Both of them.
 
And the questions can wait.
 
Owari.
 
Disclaimer: No owning. But if anyone could tell me where to buy a Kaoru, please give me a call, ne?
 
AN: And there is Hikaru. He was hard to write, and if you notice any OOC-ness, I am sorry. This boy puzzles me... I still love him, non the less! ^^