Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Of Princesses and Space Pirates ❯ Chapter 6: Dreams, Realities, and Destiny ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the rights to any of the characters in this fanfic, nor do I claim to. The idea, however, is mine.
 
Of Princesses and Space Pirates
Chapter 6: Dreams, Realities, and Destiny
 
 
Ryoko awoke with the mother of all hangovers. Her head pounded mercilessly as she sat up, and, groaning in pain, she slowly laid back against the bed. There was a source of warmth next to her, and she could feel that something - or someone - was nestled snuggly into her side. Turning her head slowly over to one side, she opened an eye and saw Sasami asleep soundly next to her. Ryo-oh-ki slept above the girl's head, and she stirred slightly, before settling down once again. Seeing the young, Juraian princess brought a single, nagging question to mind. Letting out a slow sign, Ryoko sat up once again, despite her body's protests.
 
Why was it that she was always in such trouble? Sure, she loved trouble. Fun trouble, not the kind of trouble tacked onto by annoying consequences and outcomes.
 
Many things about the previous night were a blur. All she could really remember was that she had gone to the local bar and gotten drunk… But something else, too, had happened as she was leaving the bar. She had met someone… a man. Her brain began to pound as she searched her memories, which only made the hangover worse. Mumbling about how she shouldn't have gotten so drunk, she stood and stumbled across the room. She reached the bathroom, and stood over the sink. Turning on the water, she cupped her hands and filled them with water, bending down and quickly splashing the cold liquid onto her face. She stood straight once again, and as she stared into the mirror at her blood-shot eyes, a name came to mind.
 
Leilong
 
Ryoko smiled at her reflection as slowly, her memories began to return to her. The man had claimed his name was Leilong, and he casually went on to explain why he had stopped her. Her smile slowly slipped from her features however, as she remembered what, exactly, it was he had said to her...
 
"A bounty," Ryoko asked incredulously, staring at the dark-haired stranger across from her. She frowned, as the man shook his head. "Who put it out on me?"
 
"It seems the Juraians want you found real bad," Leilong answered, pouring another drink for himself from the bottle of whiskey he had bought. Setting the bottle back down, he watched her silently, smiling wryly as she looked up at him with sudden anger flashing in her eyes.
 
"You're here to collect the bounty," she accused, quickly standing up. Her sudden movement rocked the table violently, sending the bottle toppling. With reflexes faster than Ryoko could follow in her drunken state, Leilong caught the bottle. Placing it on the table once again, he stood up as well. Grabbing her arm, he gently pushed her back down into her seat.
 
"I'm not that kind of Outlaw," he stated, reaching for his glass and downing the last of his drink. Stuffing his hands into his pockets, he turned and began walking away from her.
 
"Where in the hell are you going? Tell me why they're after me!"
 
"I've done what I came to do," he replied, stopping in place. He turned slightly, looking back at her over his shoulder. "I owed a debt to a bounty hunter, who claims she's the only one who will hunt you down. So I found you, and repaid that debt to her by telling you what I know."
 
Ryoko watched as Leilong began to walk away once again. Turning back around in her seat, she stared at the now vacant seat across from her and focused her gaze on the bottle. Reaching out with a trembling hand, she grabbed it from the table. Placing the mouth of the bottle to her lips, she tilted her head back, and began drinking away her newfound troubles…
 
Ryoko blinked as her thoughts returned to the moment at hand, and as she focused back on her reflection in the mirror, she was surprised to see unshed tears filling her eyes. Reeling back in surprise away from the mirror, she brought up her arm and wiped at her eyes angrily. Sighing in disgust and frustration, she left the bathroom, and began to pace around the room. She stopped abruptly, balling her fists tightly at her sides.
 
"Damn those Juraians," she cursed loudly. "They've got a lot of nerve putting my ass on the line like this!" Her sudden outburst roused Ryo-oh-ki from sleep, and the cabbit jumped up in surprise. Her fur stood on end from her shock, however she settled down once she realized it was only Ryoko.
 
"Mreow?"
 
"I've got to find out what this is really about," she exclaimed, pounding her fist into the palm of her hand. "Stay here, Ryo-oh-ki. I'm going out." Ryoko stalked towards the door, however instead of opening it, she just phased through it, disappearing from the room and leaving the small cabbit very confused.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
Jim sat by himself in the docking bay, his legs crossed underneath him. He stared out into space, watching as ships docked and departed to and from the transit station. He let out a soft sigh and then stared down at his hand, which was clenched tightly around an object. Opening his hand, he studied the device he held in his palm intently.
 
"Is this really all we need to capture the bounty," he wandered silently. Closing his hand around the device once again, he turned his head slightly as he heard footsteps approaching. Brushing it off as a distraction, he returned to his thoughts, until a hand landed on his shoulder, startling him back to reality.
 
"Jim?"
 
The boy turned around in place, smiling slightly at the familiar face of the dark-haired woman who knelt down next to him. "Mel! You scared me."
 
"I'm sorry, Jim," Melfina apologized, taking a seat next to him. She wrapped her arms around her legs, resting her chin on her knees. "I thought I might find you here."
 
"Well, here I am," Jim mumbled, returning his gaze to continue watching the docking and departing ships.
 
"Is something wrong," Melfina asked, worry etched in her voice. "You don't seem like your usual self."
 
"I'm just thinking Melfina," Jim replied defensively.
 
Melfina gasped inaudibly, taken slightly aback by Jim's tone. She turned her gaze away from him, and stared out into space as he was. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you angry. I was just-"
 
"I should be the one to apologize, Melfina," Jim interrupted. "You'll forgive me, won't you?"
 
"I couldn't stay mad at you, Jim," she replied with a smile. Jim returned her smile, and then a silence settled between the two, as they enjoyed each other's company. Finally, Jim broke into conversation once again.
 
"Mel, do you think that this job will be dangerous?" Jim chuckled slightly, as was a habit of his when he grew too worried about something. "We've gone up against pirates before," he continued quickly. "But this pirate… We've never even heard of her before! And on top of that, she's made an enemy of the Juraians - the Juraian Royal family, Mel. Do you know how big of a deal that is?"
 
"Jim," Melfina trailed, placing a hand gently on the boy's trembling shoulder. He glanced over at her, his eyes conveying his concern.
 
"I'm worried, Melfina," he stated quietly. "What if something goes wrong?"
 
"Everything will be fine," she answered gently. "Our teamwork has helped us in the past, and it will help us again. And, with the equipment Mr. Luo gave us, the job will be even easier. Don't worry so much, Jim."
 
"I hope you're right, Mel," Jim stated with a shaky smile.
 
"She is." Both Jim and Melfina turned, and saw Gene standing behind them. A cocky smile crossed his face as he stared at Jim. "Don't go doubting my skills, partner," he continued.
 
"Skills," Jim asked, as he and Melfina stood. "It's more like dumb luck!" Gene gasped, stumbling back slightly as he clutched at his heart.
 
"That's cold, Jim. I've gotten us out of sticky situations plenty of times with my skills."
 
"Yeah, situations that you put us in! All the trouble we've had is because of you."
 
"Me?! Come on, Jim! Give me a break." As the two continued to argue, Melfina smiled, silently thanking Gene. As she watched them, she could tell that Jim's anxieties were slowly fading. By this time, the two were in each other's faces and she giggled, catching their attention.
 
"Were you able to get any information from Swanzo, Gene," she asked.
 
"He had some helpful information," Gene replied, growing serious. "I've got some pretty solid leads. Suzuka and Aisha are out scouting for information now, as well. I have a good feeling about this, Melfina. That bounty will be ours in no time."
 
As the two shared a smile, Jim grew quiet. Sighing, he held his hand out towards Gene, offering him the device. "Here," he stated.
 
"Shouldn't you just hold onto this, I mean, since I'm so irresponsible," Gene teased.
 
"You should take it, just in case," Jim replied. "It's not like I'd be able to catch her, if I came across from her. I'm just a kid."
 
"Jim, what-"
 
"I'm going for a walk," he interrupted. Stuffing his hands into his pockets, Jim slowly began to walk away.
 
A confused look crossed Gene's face, as he turned towards Melfina. "What's with him?"
 
"He's just worried, Gene," Melfina answered. "Give him some time alone. He'll be alright."
 
"If you say so." Gene watched Jim's retreating figure, a slight frown crossing his face.
 
"Gene?"
 
"Hm?"
 
"Do you feel like walking," Melfina asked. "Maybe we'll come across something that will help us find the bounty."
 
Gene stared at Melfina intently, watching as a slight blush crept over her face. Smiling, he nodded his head. "It sounds like a good idea to me."
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
Darkness covered everything around Sasami, making it impossible for her to tell where she was. A heavy feeling settled into the pit of her stomach, and as she called out, her voice only echoed. Wrapping her arms tightly around herself, she became frightened, unsure of what to do. A bright light suddenly burst forth from the dark, blinding her. She brought up her arm to shield her eyes, and as the light began to fade, she found herself in a new place.
 
She called out, her voice once again echoing endlessly. Tears stung at her eyes as she looked around, and she gasped as she saw a towering building not too far from where she stood. It wavered in the distance, as if it were a mirage. Fearing that it would disappear, she began to run towards the building. To her relief, it was not just her imagination. Ancient looking pillars surrounded it, and she came to the realization that the building was some sort of temple.
 
The mystical structure seemed to draw her to it, and Sasami slowly made her way to the entrance. She glanced around, and then cautiously stepped inside into a large room. Nothing special stood out about the place, except for the far wall where strange writing was drawn. A force was pulling her in that direction, and in a dazed state, she walked towards the far end of the temple. Once she reached the wall, the symbol upon her forehead began to glow.
 
"Welcome back to your place of origin. You are the catalyst. Reach out, Supreme One, and grasp your destiny."
 
The voice carried in the wind that had suddenly passed by, and, without conscious decision, Sasami extended her arm out, placing her hand against the wall. The writing on the wall was replaced by a strange marking and as it emanated green in color, rumbling could be heard. Sasami's scream was lost in the deafening sound, however it was gone as quickly as it began. She quickly drew back her hand, and the wall slowly began to fade away, revealing yet another room.
 
The first thing Sasami noticed was that the room emitted a powerful, raw energy. Taking a tentative step inside, she saw that the room, mostly simple in design, resembled a bedroom chamber. Silky draperies lined the walls, and three intricately carved marble statues stood in the room, each a sculpture of a beautiful woman. The three statues stood in triangular formation, and in the middle of them were three capsule-shaped chambers. Inhaling sharply as she noticed a figure in one of the chambers, Sasami was once again drawn forward. As she approached the capsule, the figure came into view, and Sasami grew pale.
 
"It's not possible," she whispered. "Tsunami…"
 
Suddenly, the figure opened her eyes. However, instead of familiar, blue eyes, cold eyes, flashing between blue and violet, stared up at Sasami. The young Juraian princess watched as slowly, silky, cyan-colored locks of hair were replaced by light brown hair. The strange woman sat up, smiling eerily at Sasami. She moved forward suddenly, grabbing Sasami roughly.
 
"Sasami," the woman hissed.
 
The Juraian girl screamed, and began thrashing against the woman, trying to get out of her hold. She began to cry as she struggled however it did not help matters much.
 
"Sasami!"
 
She could feel herself being shook; rough at first, but then suddenly, it seemed more like she was being shaken out of urgency. Feeling completely helpless, her cries turned into whimpers.
 
"Sasami, wake up!"
 
Slowly opening her eyes, the figure in front of her was blurry. However, as her sight came into focus, her eyes welled with tears. Lunging forward, Sasami grasped onto the woman in front of her desperately. Relief washed over her as she began to cry.
 
"Sasami," Ryoko trailed, staring down onto the top of the girl's head in confusion. "What is it?"
 
"I had a horrible nightmare, Ryoko," she sniffled in-between hiccups. "I…I saw-" She couldn't bring herself to relive her dream, as her emotions took control once again. Shaking her head slightly, Ryoko began to gently rub Sasami's back.
 
"Hey, it was only a dream, Sasami," she stated. "Don't let yourself get worked up over it."
 
Sasami listened to her words, and then pulled away from Ryoko and nodded her head. "You're right," she stated with a shaky smile.
 
"Of course I am," Ryoko stated with a laugh. She studied Sasami, noticing the confused frown that suddenly appeared on her face. She frowned slightly. The last thing she wanted, was for Sasami to remember what had happened to her. "Hey," she began, "I'm hungry, so let's-"
 
"Oh no," Sasami exclaimed suddenly, cutting Ryoko off. "Where are we? What happened to Gene and Melfina?"
 
Cursing inwardly, Ryoko feigned ignorance. "What are you talking about?"
 
"Gene and Melfina," Sasami exclaimed. "They saved me from a man that was attacking me, and afterwards, while we were talking, two other men showed up. They seemed to know Gene and Melfina, and they started trouble. I… I can't remember what happened! But Gene… he was in trouble!"
 
"That part must have been a dream," Ryoko stated forcefully. Sasami stared up at her with confusion, and Ryoko began to feel guilty for lying. But she didn't want her to remember what had truly happened. "Damn," she thought, "I can't lie completely, but I can stretch the truth." Standing from the bed, Ryoko walked across the room as she continued, "When I found you, you were already unconscious."
 
"I do remember losing consciousness," Sasami trailed, staring at Ryoko's back.
 
"You must have fainted from shock," Ryoko lied, cringing at her words, "after this Gene and Melfina saved you. When I came across the three of you, they were going to take you to a hospital. But they let me take you instead, since Ryo-oh-ki recognized me." She crossed her arms over her chest, allowing a silence to settle between them. "You may hate me for lying if you find out the truth," she thought to herself. "But how can I tell you the truth, when I don't have all the answers?"
 
"Okay, Ryoko." She turned back around to look at Sasami, who had a smile on her face. "I guess that's what happened, if you say so," she continued. "Where are we now, anyway?"
 
Pushing down her guilt, Ryoko offered a smile. "We're in a place that's a sanctuary for Outlaws."
 
"Really," Sasami breathed, excitement dancing in her eyes.
 
"Yeah," Ryoko replied, a small smile appearing on her face. "It's called Blue Heaven."
 
"Do they have shops here?"
 
Ryoko shook her head, her smile faltering. "They have everything you can imagine," she stated.
 
"Did you hear that, Ryo-chan," Sasami exclaimed, scooping up the cabbit from the bed and holding her above her head. Giggling, she put Ryo-oh-ki back down, and turned towards Ryoko. "Can we go explore the shops while we're here?"
 
Against her better judgment, Ryoko found herself shaking her head. Blue Heaven may have been created to be a safe haven for Outlaws, but for her it was a hunting ground. And she was the main game. If she was going to maintain normalcy around Sasami, she couldn't stay cooped up without some kind of reasonable explanation - even if that meant risking being sought out for that bounty. Not that she was really worried.
 
"Sure, Sasami."
 
"Thank you, Ryoko," she exclaimed. "I'll get ready!" Ryoko watched as Sasami bounded towards the bathroom, and after she was gone, she walked over to the bed, picking Ryo-oh-ki up by the scruff of her neck.
 
"Listen, Ryo-chan," she hissed softly. "Sasami can't remember what really happened."
 
"Meow, mreow, mreow!"
 
"Don't argue," Ryoko snapped, shaking the cabbit with emphasis. Sighing, she placed Ryo-oh-ki on her shoulder and crossed her arms. "I'll tell her the truth, I promise. It's just better now, for her to think everything is alright. Try to understand." Mewing in reluctant agreement, both turned their head as Sasami came out of the bathroom.
 
"This will be so much fun," she exclaimed. She walked over to Ryoko, and laughed as Ryo-oh-ki jumped from Ryoko's shoulder onto her own. "You agree, don't you Ryo-chan?"
 
"Mreow!"
 
"Are you ready," Ryoko asked, walking away from her slightly.
 
"Ryoko," Sasami began with sudden seriousness. "Something's wrong, isn't it?" Ryoko turned her head slightly, looking at the younger girl with surprise. "I can tell," she continued. "What is it?"
 
"Princess-" She cut off her sentence, shaking her head slightly. "I just don't want anything else to happen to you," Ryoko replied honestly.
 
"I know you'll keep me safe," Sasami stated.
 
"You'd better believe it," Ryoko exclaimed, laughing for the first time since the previous night. "Let's go have some fun." As she opened the door to their room, Sasami happily skipped out, and Ryoko followed close behind.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
"Wake up."
 
Ron's eyelids fluttered as he heard the voice speaking to him. His whole body ached, and he felt as if he had died all over again. It was hard for him to recall what happened, however as his mind wandered, he slowly began to remember what had taken place. He was just about to kill Gene Starwind, when that girl interfered. What was that power she had used?
 
"The Lighthawk wings are a frightening force, aren't they?"
 
Ron's eyes slowly opened, and he found himself standing, strangely enough. The force holding him up released its' hold over him, and he felt his weakened legs buckling as he stumbled to stay on his feet. Once he regained his bearings, it didn't take long for him to realize that he was back in the heart of the Leyline.
 
"You do not fear me, do you Ronald MacDougall?" The Maiden appeared suddenly, as the shadows seemed to move around her form. Anger flashed in her eyes as she seemed to stare through him.
 
Swallowing nervously, Ron silently wondered why it was that he lost the strengths he prided himself on whenever she was around him. Looking beyond her shoulder, he noticed his brother standing behind her, an indifferent look on his face. "I fear no one, Goddess or otherwise," he answered finally.
 
"Ron, what are you saying," Harry exclaimed in a horrified voice. "You know her power! Do not anger her!"
 
"Let him speak," the Maiden ordered, holding up a hand to silence Harry. He obeyed, growing silent once again.
 
Ron glowered at her, still angry and unable to believe she could have so much power over Harry. "Like I said," he began, "I do not fear anyone." He looked past her again, towards his brother. "Harry, whatever it is she promised you for your devotion pales in comparison to our bond. We're brothers, Harry, and blood comes first." Brushing past the Maiden, he stood in front of his brother, grasping his shoulder.
 
"Ron," Harry stated emotionlessly. Ron looked at him strangely, before he suddenly grabbed his head, squeezing his eyes shut as he screamed in pain. He fell down to his knees, and felt as if his head was splitting apart.
 
"H-Harry," he stuttered.
 
"This is but some of my true power," the Maiden spoke in his mind. Ron opened an eye and looked in her direction as he writhed in pain. An evil smirk graced her features as she returned his gaze. "I can inflict pain much greater than this. You will learn to fear me, if you can not follow my orders." As quickly as the pain had come, it went away, and Ron slowly lowered his arms to his sides. Smiling in satisfaction, the shadows slowly began to engulf the Maiden once again. "Do as I have told you, and do not disobey me again," she spoke, before completely disappearing.
 
Harry began to walk past where Ron knelt, however he stopped for a brief moment. "I will not betray her, Ron," he spoke. "I can't." He extended a hand, offering to help Ron stand.
 
"Okay, Harry," Ron spoke, pulling himself up with his brother's help. "We'll do things your way this time."
 
Harry nodded his head, smiling happily at his brother. "I knew we could become the MacDougalls' once again, Ron," he stated. "Let's go. Together, we're unstoppable!"
 
Ron watched as Harry walked away, and, shaking his head sadly, he quietly followed behind him.
 
 
To Be Continued . . .