Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Long Denied ❯ Hon Ron ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: Dear Readers, just a note, in case some of you missed it. Little Chris Orcot can not speak. He was traumatized and lost his power to speak just before he came to live with Leon. Therefore, whatever Chris 'says' is telepathy and will be indicated by > this <. The animals, Count D, and Leon can all 'hear' Chris, but no one else.

Onto the story!


Long Denied
Chapter 16: Hon Ron


Papa D-


'I almost had him, my darling cat! How dare he interfere, invading my mind as if I were nothing more than one of those lowly humans!' Papa D, the father of the current Count D, sat in his home, seething. Unlike his child, papa D was not exactly fond of humans. They were vile, painful creatures. Papa D couldn't stand them. He knew what his father had done to him, he'd done it to humans and other animals often enough. 'Treating me as if I were nothing! That cat is MINE!' Papa D reclined on his sofa, wishing he could get back into the cat's mind but knowing his father would never allow it.

He'd given up so much to get the cat and then he'd had to wait so long for another chance. His father had been the one to help them escape the last time, and had then taken the child. Not that it had been such a great loss to lose the others of the family, but Papa D had gotten so attached to the cat . It was useful, especially when some human appeared and wanted to buy it. The cat was an efficient killer, in its immature form.

'Now, I can use him again.' He thought of the frightened boy he'd seen in the dream. 'He'll be an even better pet than my last cat, and I won't even have to steal him. His family has mistreated him so badly, he won't want to stay with them. He'll beg to come with me' It would be difficult now that he knew his father was also watching the cat. Still, it wasn't impossible. The cat would be useful in Papa D's coming plans. The destruction of humanity.


Tet-chan-


>When's big brother going to come home?< Chris asked as he brushed his teeth under Tet-chan's watchful gaze. >He's been gone for a long time.<

"Only a couple of hours." Tet-chan replied with a careless shrug. "He'll be back when he gets hungry."

Chris frowned at Tet-chan. >Don't talk like that! He comes to see me and the Count, not just to eat!<

"Hrumph! That idiot human can't think above his stomach. Rinse your mouth out and get your night clothes on." Tet-chan had no troubles insulting Leon, whom he considered unworthy to lick Count D's feet, but he didn't like upsetting Chris. Chris belonged to him...sort of.

>But I want to see big brother before I go to sleep!< Chris protested in his mind voice, even as Tet-chan helped to pull off Chris' t-shirt before handing him a nightshirt. >I haven't seen him in ages and the Count said he was going to see him tonight. I don't see why I couldn't go, too!<

"You saw him yesterday. Besides, you couldn't go because your big brother's plane didn't land till well after eleven and your bedtime is nine o'clock. I won't have you up to late or you'll be in a bad mood in the morning." Tet-chan took his responsibilities for Chris very seriously. Count D had told Tet-chan to watch over Chris and Tet-chan always did exactly as the Count told him. After keeping and eye of Chris for so long, though, Tet-chan had grown very fond of the young human. "Don't worry. Your brother will be here in the morning, I expect. He always shows up for breakfast. Now, get into bed. Tomorrow we'll go explore the city while the Count's busy. Are you excited to be in a new city? A whole new country?"

>I guess.< Chris shrugged. >No one's going to be able to hear me here, either.<

"What kind of talk is that?" Tet-chan growled. "I can hear you. Pon-chan can hear you."

>It's not the same. Why's the Count going to be busy?< Chris asked, crawling into his bed and letting Tet-chan cover him up with the blankets. >We're on vacation, aren't we? Isn't that why big brother wanted to come here?<

"Yeah...well...the Count doesn't tell me his business." Tet-chan admitted, more than a little bitter that Count D would rather confide in that stupid human than Tet-chan. "I'm just a pet."

>Pet? But you're a person, how can you be a pet?< Chris honestly looked confused, but he yawned as he asked. He'd be fast asleep in just a few minutes. That was one of the cute things about Chris, in Tet-chan's opinion. He didn't understand that all the friends he'd made in the petshop were animals. He thought they were just regular people. Tet-chan was tempted to explain things to Chris, but Count D had made it very clear that he didn't want Chris to be told anything about the nature of the petshop or its residents. Not that Tet-chan understood himself. No matter how strong he was, he was still just a pet. The Count was the only person who understood everything about the Petshop.

At that moment, the door of Chris' bedroom popped open and Ten-chan, Count D's new Kitsune, poked his head in. The fox demon was, in appearance, about Tet-chan's age, but wore his hair in a very long braid that hung down nearly to his knees. With blue jeans cut off at the knees and bright green sneakers, Ten-chan looked very different from Tet-chan. He wore long chains around his neck and earrings along with a mocking smirk. All in all, he looked like modern, teenage human.

"Hey, Tet!" Ten-chan grinned, winking at little Chris as he did. "You wanna take a break from babysitter duty for a minute? Got something I wanna talk to you about." His tone was light, but his emerald green eyes were dark and serious. "Nothing big, but with the Count gone, you know..."

"I'll be right there." Tet-chan hated the informal, casual way Ten-chan spoke, but he did know what Ten-chan was talking about. When the Count was away from the petshop, it seemed that most of the pets looked to Tet-chan for direction, for some reason. It wasn't something he'd asked for and the only reason he could find for it was that he was closer to the Count than any of the other pets, except for Q-chan and Q-chan was in an entirely different category. Tet-chan didn't even know what Q-chan was and he never seemed to remember to ask the Count. When Ten-chan left Tet-chan looked down at Chris and was satisfied that the child was about to fall asleep.

Tet-chan smiled at Chris, showing his sharp, pointed teeth. "Don't worry about it. Time to sleep." He turned off the light beside Chris' bed and gave the child a kiss on the forehead. Tet-chan wasn't sure why, but Chris liked to have a kiss before he went to sleep every night. So, if the stupid big brother couldn't be there to do it and Count D was unavailable, Tet-chan did it. He really didn't understand why Chris needed it, but Chris claimed he couldn't sleep until he had a good-night kiss.

>Night, Tet-chan.<

"Good night."

After that, Tet-chan left the room and found Ten-chan waiting for him outside, in the dim hallway. "I think you're actually getting attached to the little human." Ten-chan remarked with a quiet smile. "Are you done coddling him? Who would have thought the terrible Tou-Tetsu had gone soft for one small, defenseless human boy?"

"Shut up, fox, or I'll show you how soft I've gone. How I treat Chris is my business and the Count's, not yours. Now take me to the problem. The Count said he wouldn't be home till late or very early. He's got business with some cat." Tet-chan said without preamble. He and Ten-chan started walking, side-by-side down the corridor. "So, what's wrong? Someone acting up?" Strangely, Tet-chan, the fearsome, savage killer, often found himself the peacekeeper in the Count's absences. He was one of the few pets with the strength to control the others.

"No, actually it's a human." Ten-chan gave him a side-long look as they walked.

"A human? A mere human in the Petshop? How did they get in?" Tet-chan stopped walking and gave Ten-chan a puzzled look. "What kind of trouble could a human cause here?"

"She's not in here. She's watching the petshop." Ten-chan's voice was serious and Ten-chan didn't get serious unless he had very good reason. Normally, Ten-chan was one of the most easy-going pets. "She's been watching the petshop for almost two hours. Just thought you might like to have a look."
Tet-chan cracked open the front door of the petshop and peeked outside. While he did this, Ten-chan came up close behind him and looked over his shoulder. They stood so closely together that Tet-chan had the uncomfortable feeling that Ten-chan had done this on purpose just to have an excuse to grope him. Ten-chan did things like that.

"Look, there. That white car. You see it?" Ten-chan pointed out to the street, his arm brushing Tet-chan's face as he reached passed him. "She's just been sitting there for two hours."

While it was odd, Tet-chan couldn't see any risk that some stupid human posed to the petshop or
the pets. Even if she did intend harm, it would be amazing if she managed to get into the petshop, into the back room, and make her way passed the more dangerous pets that guarded the petshop. In fact, the only human who had ever gone into the petshop when Count D hadn't allowed it was Leon, Chris' stupid big brother, and that was only because the Count had told all the pets specifically not to hurt Leon. "Is that all you're worried about?" Tet-chan scowled. He pushed back abruptly, putting Ten-chan off balance and making him step away to a more comfortable distance. "I thought this was something important. She's only a human, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Most certainly. I took a sniff around. She's human. Here." Ten-chan held out one hand and let Tet-chan sniff it. There was a normal human scent on top of Ten-chan's heavier scent. Tet-chan filed the human female's scent away automatically in his mind, though he'd never likely need it. "I thought you should know. If you don't think it's important, then we'll just ignore her and the Count will take care of her."

Try as he might, Tet-chan couldn't find any good reason to worry over a human who wanted to sit in her car outside the petshop. He shrugged at Ten-chan. "Just keep the door locked and watch for anyone who tries to break in." Humans were no concern of his, except as dinner.


Ren-


Ren watched the small, dark petshop with the instructions loudly ringing in her mind.

"Do not attempt to enter." Dr. D had told her, firmly. "It is a very well guarded and you would be killed before you took even four steps. It is to powerful a place for you to enter unprotected. I still have use for you."

"I'm touched by your concern." Ren commented dryly.

Dr. D turned his terrifying eyes on her and Ren shivered, feeling uncomfortably like a bug about to be pinned down by a collector. "I am not concerned for you. You are useful at the moment, but are easily replaced. You will be rewarded if you do well, but failure is something you should not contemplate."

Ren didn't like Dr. D. He was arrogant and condescending, but he was also useful to her. He would give her the Souma family on a silver platter and all for the payment of one distraction and the loss of Kyou. The risks of police, not to mention the far more gruesome doom that Akito would deliver upon her, didn't seem so terrible to Ren. Akito was well known in the family for being unforgiving and ruthless. He'd nearly killed his own doctor, Hatori, for simply wanting to get married. What would he do when he found out that Ren had helped to kidnap Kyou.

'No, he won't do anything. He hates Kyou more than anyone.' She'd come to the petshop, not to take the child, Chris, but to watch her enemies. She knew, from Dr. D, that the child was protected by his older brother and the owner of the petshop. There were vicious animals in the petshop that were well able to kill. 'So I won't grab the boy here.' So late at night, the petshop was dark while everyone likely slept inside. 'The child will leave the petshop sooner or later. He'll go out for a walk or go to the park. He won't always be protected.' Ren started her car and pulled away from where she'd been watching the petshop, making her plans. 'One way or another, I'll get him and then the Souma family will be mine.'

If Ren were thinking clearly, she'd have realized that there was only one head of the family. Only Akito could chose the next head of the family, that was how it had always been done.


The next morning-
Hatori-



Hatori sat by Kyou's bedside most of the night. There were no more nightmares, but Kyou's fever didn't break until nearly dawn. While he waited at Kyou's side, Hatori began to hear the sounds of life in the house. A door down the hall opened then closed, followed by soft footsteps. That was probably Tohru; Yuki never woke up so early and Shigure hadn't come home, yet. The sound of Tohru's footsteps paused outside Kyou's door, but then moved on, down to the kitchen. She had likely wanted to go in and check on Kyou, but decided it was best not to disturb him. Hatori was glad for that, Kyou would need all the sleep he could get.

A soft ring drew Hatori's attention and he pulled his cell phone out of his black doctor's bag. "Hello?"

"Hatori-sensei?" It was Kagura's mother, sounding more than a little frantic. "Oh, thank goodness! Hatori-sensei, you have to come home, we need you!"

"What's happened?" Hatori asked calmly, thinking that something had happened to Akito again. Kagura was a very strong, healthy girl and wasn't prone to injuring herself.

"Rin's been hurt. She fell out of a window at the bathhouse."

Hatori was on his feet before she finished speaking, gathering up his coat and his bag. "Where is she?" Rin? Falling out of a window? It was unlikely at best. Rin was as athletic as the rest of the family and for her to just fall out of the window seemed nearly impossible. 'Akito's behind this.' As much as Hatori felt like he should hate Akito, for all the pain and misery he'd brought into
the world, he couldn't bring himself to. It was Hatori's fault, really. He should have been at the house to keep an eye on Akito, then this wouldn't have happened. 'But if I was at the house, who would have taken care of Kyou?'

"She's at my house." Kagura's mother said. " Hatsuharu won't leave her side, I think he's gone black, but he hasn't broken anything or tried to hurt anyone. He just glares when anyone tries to get near Rin." There was a note of fear in the woman's voice, but that wasn't unreasonable, considering who she was talking about.

"Let him stay with Rin, he won't do anything to endanger her. I'll be home in about ten minutes." With that, Hatori turned off the cell phone and put a hand on Kyou's forehead again. He still had a fever, but it was much less sever than when Hatori had arrived. Hatori headed down stairs, first to speak with Tohru about Kyou and then to leave and tend to Rin. As he suspected, Hatori found Tohru in the kitchen, getting ready for the day. What he didn't expect, was to find Tohru singing.

Her voice made Hatori pause, all of his responsibilities forgotten for a moment. He'd never heard Tohru sing, though Momiji had told him about their little sing along at the hot springs. He'd said that it was hard getting Tohru to sing, her voice was weak and unsure. She was just to shy, Momiji had reported, to raise her voice up to more than a whisper. A whisper was not what Hatori heard now.

Tohru's voice was sure and strong, completely unlike what Momiji had described. Rich and vibrant, Tohru sang to herself. She sang of love and longing and loneliness. Her voice could break hearts, Hatori thought as he wondered how many people had heard Tohru's singing. Shigure would never wake up this early, nor would Yuki. Even Kyou wouldn't wake up before dawn. Perhaps that was why Tohru woke up so early, so she could sing when no one would hear her.

Hatori shook his head to break the spell Tohru had unintentionally woven around him. He had work to do and people who depended on him, he couldn't afford to be idle. "Tohru?" He called out before entering the kitchen. The song broke off very suddenly and Hatori hoped he hadn't embarrassed Torhu.

"Yes?" She answered, hesitantly. "Come in, please, Hatori-san. I didn't know you were here."

"Shigure asked me to come and keep an eye on Kyou; he had to leave for a little while. He should be back soon, though." Hatori found Tohru in her apron and her hair tucked under a neat kerchief. She was also blushing faintly at having been caught singing, so Hatori did her the courtesy of not mentioning what he'd heard, though he couldn't understand why she would keep such a talent a secret. It wasn't his business. "I need to leave, please keep and eye on Kyou. He's not to go to school until I say he's healthy. If you can convince him, I don't even want him out of bed until I see him again."

"Yes, Hatori-san." Tohru smiled, getting over her embarrassment. "Would you like some breakfast before you leave? I can..."
"Thank you, but no. I have things to do. I will come back tonight to check on Kyou. If you have any problems, Yuki and Shigure know my cell phone number." He left quickly, but made a mental note to speak with Tohru in private about her singing. It could be a blessing for Tohru. She was far from being comfortable, in terms of money, and, in all kindness, she wasn't the brightest of students. She was all set to be either a cleaning lady for the rest of her life or a housewife. While Tohru would probably be very happy as either, she deserved better. Perhaps he could convince her to try a career as a singer.

He wanted the best for her and it was no mystery why. She reminded him a great deal of Kana, her sweet, gentle nature and her loving heart. In fact, Hatori always envisioned that if he and Kana had ever had a daughter, she would be like Tohru. He would have been so proud to have her as his daughter. Maybe that was why he was a bit protective. If she had been his child...well, no sense in thinking such nonsense.

By the time Hatori pulled into the estate, parking his car in front of Kagura's family's house, he was pretty sure he knew what had happened and he didn't like it. Of course, he had no proof until he spoke to Rin. She might have gotten drunk, it wouldn't have been the first time. Maybe someone had spilled some water and she'd slipped. There were lots of possibilities. It didn't really HAVE to be Akito's fault.

Momiji was sitting on the front steps of Kagura's house, his left foot tapping erratically as he was wont to do when he was nervous or agitated. Momiji leapt agilely to his feet when he saw Hatori step out of his shining black car. "Hari! You're finally here!" It wasn't just Momiji who waited for Hatori. Ritsu sat with Momiji, looking as if he'd been crying and Hatori wanted to send Ritsu back to bed. The boy shouldn't be up and around so early, he still needed his rest. There was also the two youngest of the Junikyu, Hiro and Kisa, sat side-by-side on the bottom step that led up into the house. It seem that all the Junikyu who lived at the estate, and even one who did not, had heard about Rin's 'accident' and had come to offer what little support they could.

Hiro was unusually silent, and his mind seemed to be far away. Normally, the boy would spout off stinging jibes about how long it had taken Hatori to get there, Momiji's figiting, or even the color of the sky. Now, he just sat and looked pale.

"Where's Hatsuharu?" Hatori asked without slowing his step as he made his way to the front door.

"He's still with Rin." Kagura said, opening the door for Hatori. "He won't leave her."

Hatori nodded and walked passed the younger ones of his family. He couldn't rightly call them children anymore and that made him worry. Hatsuharu and Rin were nearly grown, they're dangerous love proof of that. Kagura was very mature in her own way and there was no doubt that she would also be in danger if Kyou got up the nerve to return her love. Momiji wasn't far behind, he was as old as Hatsuharu. The thought of Momiji falling in love frightened Hatori to no end. He'd gotten so used to having his child.


Shigure-


Shigure had meant to go home after leaving Ayame's, he wanted to get home and see how Kyou was faring. Yet, hours had passed and Shigure still prowled the streets of Ayame's neighborhood, looking for a nightmare. The sun had risen and Shigure had never felt so helpless. His enemy was nearby, but Shigure couldn't find him. 'Where is he? It can't be the same person. Maybe it's the descendent of the Count D I read about in the diary. But where? If I just ask his friend, Leon, he wouldn't tell me the truth and Ayame didn't know. How can I find him if I can't even smell him? Why doesn't he have a scent? All living animals have a scent. Rocks have a scent, wind has a scent. So what...what is he?'

In all truth, he didn't know what he was looking for. The logical, human side of Shigure knew that no creature could live so long. Hundred of years ago that diary had been written, it just wasn't possible that it was the same Count D. The monster who had virtually destroyed the Souma family, wrought unforgivable pain upon generations of Souma's, could NOT be alive. Then again...Shigure also knew that he turned into a dog. He knew Hatori could take memories by a mere touch. He knew his life and the lives of his family depended on Akito's life. There WAS magic in this world and nightmares were real.

Count D.

That name had brought Shigure so many nightmares, making him wake in a cold sweat. It was a name Shigure had learned to fear and hate over the years as he'd brooded over the fate of his family. Count D who was so powerful, so evil.

Now there was a possibility that a living nightmare was in Tokyo and possibly looking for the Souma's. It wouldn't be hard from him to find Shigure's family, the Souma's had grown in power and prestige. Even if they did keep a safely low profile, a person only had to look in the phone book to find a hundred listings under the name 'Souma'.

After realizing what danger his family was suddenly in, Shigure had begun his search by changing his outlook. 'My family's in danger, my pack.' Shigure stopped walking and lowered his head until he stared at his feet. 'I won't let him hurt my family again.' The world around Shigure dimmed as he let his mind slip away from the restrains of his human mind and into the thought of his canine self. The sounds of the night city dulled and Shigure was reduced to little more than his sense of smell, his most trusted sense. 'Danger. My blood is threatened...I will not allow it!'

Shigure's head shot abruptly. His nostril's flared as he caught the breeze and began to sort out the scents carried on the breeze. Humans, animals, and alcohol from a nearby bar. Another sniff and Shigure found the smell of perfume on a passing woman, coffee from an all night diner across the street, and the stench of sex on a dishevel passing teenager. There were so many scents, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Shigure's prey had been here just a short time ago, probably walked on this very sidewalk. His scent should still be here. 'Have to find him. He's going to hurt my family again. He hurt us so much last time, what would he do now?' Images of everyone Shigure loved sprang into his mind. His dearest friends, the children he cared for, and the young man he gave his heart to. Shigure's mind filled with hate for the vile monster that would hurt his family. 'They've suffered enough. I won't let it happen again. I'll die before I let them get hurt again!'

But he hadn't found a thing. A whole night wasted and Shigure hadn't found the mysterious petshop. Ayame's shop was in the middle of the city, but his neighborhood was relatively small. It should have taken Shigure less than twenty minutes to find a new shop in the area. It was almost as if the petshop didn't want to be found.

Still, Shigure searched, going over the streets and back alleys he'd already been through three times. 'I must have missed it. A tiny hole in the wall place could be easily overlooked, so he would just have to... a terrible thought struck Shigure and he froze in mid-step.

'The diary said Count D wanted the cat more than any of the others.' Shigure thought of the still sick Kyou, laying helplessly in bed. 'He'll go after Kyou. I left the children alone. Hatori's not any good in a fight. He'll be hurt, too. The children. I promised I'd protect the children!' Shigure changed direction abruptly and bolted back to his house.




Shigure ran and ran through the forests that surrounded his home. He ran desperately and was hardly aware that he had company until he was nearly at the house.

\\You are worried.\\ It was the she wolf who spoke. Shigure had known her since the day she was born and had actually attended her birth. Her mother had been the daughter of Shigure's closed companion in the local wolf pack when he was a child, but she had died several years ago. This wolf bore the same patters of color on her coat as her mother had and just looking at her was enough to make Shigure grieve again for his dead friend.

"That's an understatement." Shigure said softly, not slowing in his run. He knew that not only the she-wolf could keep up with him, but could easily outrun him if she wished to.

\\There is much reason to be worried. Change has come to our world again.\\

"Change?" Shigure had the sudden impression that the young wolf knew something. It often surprised him when one of the wolves would show him exactly how intelligent they were. This she-wolf had the same intelligence her mother had once had. "What change?"

\\Perhaps change is the wrong word. Something...different has come. Something great and powerful, terrible...unthinkable. It has passed through our forest to your den. They are all here, close by. I fear for my pack, as you do yours.\\

For the first time since he realized that Kyou might be in immediate danger, Shigure slowed down and finally stopped, regarding the wolf. "What do you mean 'they'? They who?" Shigure thought there was only one person he had to worry about.

\\You know who I mean.\\ She gave him a knowing look. \\The Father Of All, The Lost Son, and the Unwanted Child. They hunt your pack, all for their own reasons, and you fear them all.\\

'Three of them?' Shigure swallowed hard. He was only expecting one. Only one of them had done so much damage to his family. What would three do? "Are you sure? They're here?"

\\I can feel them. We all can. The Unwanted Child is near. I can smell him. The Father Of All follows him closely.\\
"You can smell them?" Shigure tilted his head upward and sniffed, but he still couldn't find anything unusual. It irritated him to no end, his nose had never failed him before.

\\You can't? They smell...so sweet.\\ When she turned her golden eyes back to Shigure, the she-wolf grinned. \\You should be going, friend. You worry for your young, do you not?\\

Shigure took off again with the gentle reminder that his family was still in danger. Hatori had likely met the terrible Count D, but now there might be more than one of these people. Kyou was still likely to be the main target of these people, and Shigure had no idea what he could possibly do to solve all these problems. Now, instead of one enemy, Shigure had three and they didn't have very comforting names. The Father of All? The Lost Son? The Unwanted Child? This was making less and less sense.

The she-wolf didn't follow him.

It was well into morning when Shigure arrived home to a strangely quiet house. He was used to hearing Yuki and Kyou fighting at this time in the morning. He dashed upstairs, taking them two steps at a time, heading directly for Kyou's room. He was half afraid that he was going to find Kyou's room empty, but, with his eyes wide and sweating, Shigure pulled open the door of Kyou's bedroom and found his young cousin still sound asleep in his bed.

"Oh, thank goodness." Shigure sagged against the doorframe and closed his eyes. All the way home, he'd been so afraid that Kyou would be gone. When he'd caught his breath, Shigure went to Kyou and looked down at him. He still didn't look entirely well, but at least he wasn't feverish anymore. 'Strange. I wonder where Ha-san went. He wouldn't just leave for no reason.' No doubt Hatori had to run off and look after Akito for some reason and Shigure couldn't begrudge him that. So long as Hatori didn't try to go after Count D. Shigure would have to warn Hatori as soon as possible. "Kyou, you had me so worried." But there was more to think about. "Yuki! Tohru! Where is everyone?!"
"Shigure-san, I'm in the back yard. What's wrong?" He found Tohru in the back yard, where she'd obviously just finished hanging up the laundry she always did on Saturday morning. She looked a bit confused and, even as she spoke, she looked over her shoulder at the empty back yard with a puzzled frown.

Tohru was normally a little bit of a feather head, but she looked even more flighty than normal. Like her mind was in an entirely different world. "Are you alright?"

"Huh? Oh, yes." She smiled brightly. "I'm fine. Just fine. You were yelling?"

"Yes. Sorry about that. Have you seen Yuki?"

"He went out early, just after Hatori-san left. He said he wanted to find a job."

And so Yuki added one more problem to Shigure's already overflowing plate. "A job?! What does he need a job for? He never spends any money and I'll give him anything he does need."

Tohru shrugged, now completely over whatever had distracted her. "He told me he didn't want to be dependant on the family money. He wanted to earn his own." She seemed very happy about Yuki's decision and smiled. "Yuki-kun's so responsible."

"Yes," Shigure sighed. "I suppose he is. It sounds like something Yuki would do. Well, at least I know he'll be careful." That left so many other problems and Shigure realized with a self-conscious laugh that suddenly Tohru was at the bottom of his list of problems to solve. It didn't matter what she was, Shigure was absolutely positive that Tohru would never hurt the family.

Shigure left Tohru to hang up the laundry and went back into his house. 'I can't leave the house now, not till Kyou wakes up. I can't leave him alone. Maybe Count D will leave the rest of the family, if he only wants Kyou. He'll have to come here and I'll be waiting for him. I'll have to send Torhu and Yuki away.' Shigure didn't like the fact that he would be using Kyou as bait, but there was little else he could do. 'Of course,' Shigure's eyes darkened as he stepped into his house. 'I'll kill Count D before he lays a hand on Kyou. Either that, or I'll kill myself.'


Count D-


How amazing, to find so many of this unusual species so quickly upon his arrival in Japan. Count D was very pleased that in just a few hours of being in Japan he'd met the dragon and the snake as well as the monkey. The nightingale was a complete surprise. Still, it was a pleasant coincidence. Perhaps, to much of a coincidence.

She had grown up so much, he thought, watching the girl while she hung out newly washed clothes on a clothes line. The woman who'd bought this delicate nightingale, Honda Kyoko, had been dead more than a year now. The nightingale should have returned to the petshop by now, if everything had gone normally. The pets always returned to the petshop when their owners died. All but this one. In fact, she looked relatively happy. Odd. Very odd.

"Good morning." Count D made himself seen and smiled sweetly at the girl. She should have been desperately unhappy without her owner, her purpose. She had been designed to make her owner happy, it was her greatest pleasure in life. Count D knew because he had helped to design this child, he knew how her mind operated. Her grief at losing her owner should have driven her back to the petshop or, in a worst case scenario, to her own death. That was the trouble with pets born and raised with a particular owner. They were emotionally dependant on that owner. 'Perhaps she's become dependant on someone else. Without her rightful owner, she might have been desperate enough to latch onto someone else.'


Tohru-


Tohru was more than a little surprised to find a stranger watching her. "Oh, hello." There was something about him. Tohru felt like she'd come into the presence of another prince or something even greater. He was very beautiful, but unlike anyone Tohru had ever seen before. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." She was sure that she ought to remember this person.

The smile never left his face and Tohru began to feel strangely relaxed. "No need to apologize to me, child. I was merely watching you." His voice was gentle and felt as if it wrapped around Tohru's mind.

"Watching me?" Tohru took a step closer to the stranger while she heard voices speaking to her softly. Kyou told her not to be so trusting. There were bad people in the world and it was Tohru's empty headed expression that would get her kidnapped one day. "Why?" Yuki told her to beware of strangers, there were perverts in the forest around Shigure's house.

"I was just passing by when I saw you. May I ask your name, young lady?" He held out a hand to her and Tohru noticed that his fingernails were very long and painted a most beautiful shade of pale purple. Tohru reached out and took the offered hand without thinking. He was so beautiful and Tohru liked the way he smiled at her. The man put his free hand on the side of Tohru's head, petting her hair. It made Tohru so happy that she thought she might start purring.

"Honda Tohru." She leaned her head slightly to the side, into the palm of the man's hand. She liked his touch, he was perfect. So beautiful, so kind. She felt as if she could stay with him and just stare into his eyes forever. It was strange, she hadn't felt so happy since before her mother had died. Tohru slid down to her knees, her eyes fastened to the stranger's face. If she never moved again, she would be happy.

"I am pleased to meet you, Tohru. May I ask you some questions?"

"Yes." She didn't hesitate. She would tell him anything he wanted to know.

"Are you happy?"

"Yes."

"Who do you want to make happy?"

"Everyone." It was Tohru's favorite thing, if she could make the people around her smile. "I like making everyone happy."

"Why?"

Tohru's smile faltered, but only for a moment. She could trust him. He'd never tell. "If I make them happy, they won't be sad when I die. If I make them smile now, they won't cry so much later. I don't want anyone to be sad for me." It made so much sense to Tohru. She had to die, to be with her mom. She promised that she'd stay with her mom forever. So after fulfilling her mom's last wish, Tohru would join her.

"Are you sure you want to die?"

"I..." Tohru was sure. She'd been planning it for a long time. It was the right thing to do. But...did she really want to leave her friends behind? Yuki? Kyou? Shigure? Hana and Uo whom she'd known for such a long time. They'd all been so kind to her. "I think so."

"I see. Do you believe you are human?"

"Yes." What a silly question that was, but she hoped he would ask her another just so she could hear the sound of his voice.

"What a good girl you are." He stroked her hair again. "Tell me about the people who live here."

Tohru felt sick very suddenly. "I...I can't. I promised." She didn't want to deny him anything, least of all something so small as an answer. After all, he would never hurt the Souma's. He was a good person, but she'd promised. "It's very important."

"That's all right." The kind man said, making the sick feeling in Tohru's stomach vanish with his twinkling eyes. So good...he'd even forgiven her for not answering. Tohru leaned her head forward until her forehead rested against the fabric of the man's elaborate robes. "I just wanted to meet you again, that's all."

"Again?"

Shigure's voice shouted from the house, "Yuki! Tohru! Where is everyone?"

Tohru blinked at Shigure's voice. Shigure? She turned her head away from the stranger to look at the house. "Shigure?"

She was alone. Tohru found that she was suddenly alone, kneeling in the grass of Shigure's back yard with no idea of why she was kneeling. Hadn't she just been doing the laundry? 'There was someone here, wasn't there?' Tohru looked around, feeling a little lightheaded. 'I thought...I was sure there was someone here. A man...I think. Maybe.' She wasn't sure now.

"Where is everyone?!" Shigure was starting to sound panicked.

"Shigure-san," Tohru called out, getting to her feet and trying to forget about the strange experience she'd just had. "I'm in the back yard. What's wrong?" She ran into the house, now more worried about Shigure than about whatever she'd been dreaming about. Yes, that was it. It was so early, she'd probably just fallen asleep and had a strange dream.


Count D-


How odd. Still, it wasn't completely unexpected. Living with humans her entire life, it shouldn't be a surprise that she thought she was human, too.

'I'll have to correct that as soon as possible.'

After his short stay with Leon at the tailor's shop, Count D had decided that there were things he had to do. The whole purpose for this little trip to Japan was to, mainly, keep an eye on Leon. Count D had gone through to much to establish a pleasant...relationship with Leon, he wasn't about to let Leon run off and get himself killed. The secondary reason to retrieve his nightingale. With the death of it's owner, the nightingale, Tohru, would come back to live with him at the petshop. There was no reason for her to keep living here when she had no owner and no one to take care of her properly. Perhaps he could sell her to a new owner.

It was an added bonus that she just happened to have stumbled across the third reason Count D had come to Japan. The Junikyu. His nightingale lived with the polluted family of the Junikyu. He was actually pleased that she'd refused to tell him about the people she lived with. It showed a great deal of strength that she could resist D's influence. He could have forced her to speak, but that wasn't the point of his visit. He already knew about the Junikyu, enough to know what he had to do.

Count D started back towards his petshop. It was well passed dawn and Chris would be waking up soon. Even if Chris managed to sleep in, which he rarely did, Leon would no doubt make an appearance and start demanding how D had moved the entire petshop across and ocean. D was pretty sure Leon wouldn't believe whatever lie he was told, but he probably wouldn't argue with D to much.

Time to go home. He'd come for the Junikyu and his nightingale later. Right now, Tet-chan would probably like to get some sleep and he wouldn't do that until D got home.


Hatori-


Rin was going to live, but that was as much as Hatori could offer her in such conditions. He wanted her admitted to a hospital at once and, for once, he'd overridden Akito's authority. Instead of doing what he'd always done and ask for Akito's permission, he took matters into his own hands.

"Hatori-sensei?" Kagura's mother, who'd left him alone while he saw to Rin, watched him nervously lift Rin up and start to carry her out. "What are you doing? Shouldn't she rest? What about her back?" It hurt the woman that Rin had been hurt. After all, when Rin's parents had left her, she'd practically been raised by Kagura's mother. It must be like seeing her own child so badly hurt.

"She needs to get to the hospital." Hatori said shortly. "Her back isn't so badly hurt as I thought it was, but she's in shock and she's lost a lot of blood. She'll need a transfusion and I can't treat her properly here." Haru didn't ask for any explanations, but held the door open for Hatori and it was taken for granted that he would go with Rin to the hospital. His face was so black that Hatori marveled at his self-control at not destroying the house. "Hatsuharu, get Momiji, he's coming with us."
Hatsuharu nodded, but walked with Hatori as they left the house. Instead of asking, or anything so civilized, on their way out Hatsuharu grabbed Momiji by the collar of his shirt and picked up up.

"What...?" Momiji said as he was carried down to Hatori's car by Hatsuharu. "Where are we going?" He relaxed the moment he saw who'd picked him up and let his friend carry him until they got to the bottom of the stairs when Hatsuharu put him down and took Rin from Hatori.

"Hospital. Hatori wants you." Hatsuharu answered tensely. They all climbed into Hatori's black car with Momiji sitting in the front with Hatori while Hartsuharu was in back, holding Rin's head on his lap and keeping her steady while they drove.


Later-


It was an illusion of comfort.

Nothing at all like a normal hospital room, the Souma's private room at the local hospital. It had been a room rented out by the family for more than three generations, ever since the hospital had been built. It was a precaution for emergencies like now and when Hatori had lost his eye. Although expensive, it was thought to be a good investment by the family and Akito paid without hesitation, as did his three predecessors.

The single bed in the large room was dressed not with cheap sheets and a thin blanket, but with the fine linens and a thick down comforted. The window overlooked a park with a good view of the river. The floor was covered with a thick, plush carpet of ivory. There were paintings decorating the walls and fresh flowers in the room. Under the opulent surface, though, Hatori could still smell bleach and other disinfectants. It was still a hospital, no matter what it looked like.

'What happened this time?' Hatori wondered, taking a drink from his mug of coffee. He was so tired, but there was no time to sleep. He'd already taken two caffeine tablets to keep him awake and alert. He wished he could smoke, but the caffeine would have to do for now. Ayame still nagged at him about his smoking. He said a doctor should know better than to smoke and that it made Hatori's reek of cigarette smoke. Of course Hatori knew better. It just gave him a bit of satisfaction to have at least one thing in his life that he could control, even if that one thing he was controlling was his own death.

"Hari?" Hatori looked away from Rin to where Momiji had just woken up. Momiji and Hatsuharu had slept at the hospital after their donations to Rin. It had only been a couple of hours, but neither of the boys were used to giving blood, let alone so much of it. It was one of the benefits of being such a well respected doctor. He had walked into the hospital with Rin and was given everything he needed from an operating room to several female nurses to check in on Rin every few hours. No questions were asked.

"Yes?" It was lucky that all Junikyu could donate blood to each other. Hatori had no idea what would happen if a Junikyu tried to take blood from a normal human or if they donated blood to a normal human. It was to much of a risk to experiment.

"You're still awake." Momiji sat up on the cot one of the nurses had found for him and Hatsuharu and rubbed his sleepy eyes. "Shouldn't you sleep? You look awful tired."

"Not yet. I still have a lot to do." Hatori had a soft spot for Momiji, that was no secret. He knew that Momiji was a lot stronger and far smarter than most people gave him credit for. The only person who probably knew how strong Momiji was, besides Hatori, was Hatsuharu. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired. How's Rin?"

"She'll be sore for a long while, but she'll live. With luck, she won't even have a scar. It's lucky that Hatsuharu was around. If she'd been left to lay there all night I don't think she'd have been so lucky." Hatori rubbed a hand over his face and sighed.

Last night? Was it just one night? He hadn't slept in two days. The first night he'd been kept awake by one of Akito's fevers and spent the whole of the following day helping Ayame to clean the upstairs rooms of his shop for his visitors. Then he'd driven Ayame to the airport and been so frightened to find out one of Ayame's new friends somehow knew about the Junikyu that he felt he couldn't leave Ayame alone with the strange man. Then the call from Shigure and he'd looked after Kyou all night and now this. Two days and nights without sleep wasn't healthy and Hatori would order anyone else to get straight to bed. Unfortunately, Hatori still had work to do. He had to check on Kyou, look in on Akito, go find that man who knew about the Junikyu and steal his memory. He couldn't afford to rest.

Momiji stood up shakily. He swayed for a moment before he walked to Hatori's side and looked at Rin with him. "Hatsuharu thinks Akito did it." The fear in Momiji's voice was subdued, but it was there. "Do you think he's right? Would Akito really try to kill one of us?"

Hatori was silent and thought of his long dead father. The previous head of the family. He remembered beatings he had no will to fight against. His father had been his god and he could no more fight against his father than he could raise his hand against Akito. Hatori's father had often hurt him badly, but never so badly as he'd hurt Shigure. "I...I hope he won't." He couldn't lie to Momiji, though he wanted to. The head of a family should protect that family, not try to kill them.

"Hari?"

"Yes?"

"..."

"Momiji?" Hatori turned to look at Momiji, puzzled by the silence.

"I'm afraid." Momiji's voice came out very small and his eyes were dilated. "Why did Akito do it? Why would he? We never do anything to hurt him, we all protect him! Why does he want to hurt us?!"

"Keep your voice down." Hatori stood and helped Momiji back to the small cot and made him lie down again. "You've given a lot of blood to Rin and it's confusing you."

"I'm not confused. I'm scared!"

"So am I." It was the best Hatori could do. He wished he could say or do something more for Momiji, but there wasn't. "I don't think Akito ever wanted to hurt anyone. It's just something that happens."

"That's not a very good reason." Momiji scowled. He looked again at Rin, still looking horribly pale. "I almost hated her. I felt like she was taking Haru away from me. What if she'd died? I don't think Haru could have stood it. He really loves her so much." By now, Momiji was looking at Hatsuharu's sleeping face. Even with all his tattoos and piercings, Hatsuharu had such an innocent face. He was a child trying to look dangerous. Of course he was dangerous, when angered, but he was still a child. A child in love.

Hatori was not normally comfortable with touching other people, but Momiji was an exception. He put his arms around Momiji and gave him a tight hug. "Try to rest. I have things to do today, so I can't stay all day with Rin. Will you and Hatsuharu spend the day looking after her? I'll be back tonight." It seemed best to change the subject. He knew Momiji was a bit jealous of Rin, but Momiji would never do anything to challenge her relationship with Hatsuharu.

"Sure!" Momiji flashed a bright smile, but Hatori wasn't fooled. Momiji hopped up from the cot again. "I don't wanna sleep. I'm going down to the cafeteria for something, I'm so hungry! Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes, please."

When Momiji was gone, Rin's eyes opened and Hatori wondered how long she'd been awake. Probably, she'd been waiting for Momiji to leave. "How are you feeling?" Hatori asked, taking her hand. She was tall, but frail looking. Her strength wasn't like Kagura's, who was a strong, sturdy girl. Rin's strength was in her spirit, not her body. "You've been asleep for hours. It's nearly noon, now. You were hurt last night. Can you tell me what happened?"

Rin didn't answer right away, no doubt trying to wake herself up properly. "My back hurts."

"I know. You nearly broke it." How she'd gotten so lucky, Hatori couldn't imagine. If she'd landed just slightly differently, she might have broken her back or even her neck.

Rin's eyes slid around the room, taking in the fact that she was in a hospital. Her eyes fell on Momiji's discarded cap. "Why is Momiji here?"

"He gave blood. So did Hatsuharu."

"I see." She pushed herself up on one elbow, though it obviously pained her, and her eyes went to where Hatsuharu was sleeping on his cot near the window. She stared at him for a long time. Whatever she was thinking, Rin kept to herself, lowering herself back down onto the pillow.

"Will you tell me what happened?" Hatori pushed. He didn't want something going on in the family that he didn't know about. If nothing else, he had to tell Shigure what was going on.

"Akito pushed me out the window." Rin said without hesitation. "I saw him when I was falling."

Hatori knew she was telling the truth. Rin rarely ever lied and never about something important. Unlike Shigure, who enjoyed speaking in circles for hours before he got to the point, Rin never beat around the bush. "Do you know why?" It was entirely possible that Rin had just been walking down the corridor and Akito decided to push her. He didn't always have reasons for what he did anymore.

"I was with Haru. That was all. When Haru left, I looked out the window to watch him leave and Akito pushed me out." Her mouth thinned into a narrow line. "I heard what you told Momiji. They won't be staying long. I have something to tell Haru and he won't like it. I want Momiji to walk Haru home to make sure he doesn't do something stupid."

"What are you talking about?"

"It's not really your business. Why don't you just leave?" She wasn't exactly trying to be rude, it just came so easy for her.

"I do have to go, but I'll be back. Don't leave until I say it's safe. I need to look at your back again." He stood up. There was so much to get done. He hadn't wanted to leave until he knew Rin was awake and relatively comfortable, but now that he knew, he felt free to look after other important business.

Rin didn't answer and turned her face away from Hatori.

Almost as soon as Hatori closed the door of the Souma's private room behind him, his cell phone rang. It was Shigure.

"Where are you, Ha-san?"

"At the hospital. Akito pushed Rin out a window, she's been badly hurt. Please call the Main House and ask how Akito is. I don't have time to make my morning call on him. Is Kyou feeling better?"

"This is no time for that, Ha-san." Shigure sounded anxious. "Can you come home right away?"

"No. I have to..."

"I know what you're going to do, but don't do it! Don't go after that man, Ha-san!"

"You sound as if you learned something about him." Hatori held the phone closer to his ear and spoke softly so no one passing in the corridor would hear him. "What did you think? Did you see him?"

"No." Shigure sounded...strange. Tense. "He'd gone by the time I got there. Is there anything else you can tell me? Did he mention where he lived or worked? Anything?."

"No. Nothing other than the fact that he knew about the curse." If Shigure hadn't met the stranger, why was he so uptight?

"Damn." Shigure swore so softly that Hatori almost missed it.

"Do you know something I should know? He found out about the family. I have to take his memory, Shigure." He didn't tell Shigure about the mind numbing fear he felt at the idea of meeting the man again.
"Don't!" Shigure nearly shouted. "Don't go near him, Ha-san! Promise me."

"I can't."

"You must, he's dangerous!"

"I thought you didn't know anything about him. Shigure, what's going on?"

"Trust me. I don't know anything I can tell you, but I know he's dangerous. Just leave him alone for now."

"You know I can't do that. He knows about the family. I have my duty."

"You don't understand..."

Hatori hung up before Shigure could continue and turned off his phone. If Shigure wanted to play games, he would have to play another time. 'I haven't got time for mysteries. There's no time at all. I have to find Count D. Rin will be fine with Momiji and Hatsuharu looking after her and if Kyou was worse, Shigure would have told me.' He turned abruptly and walked away, determined to get rid Count D once and for all with Shigure's warning ringing in his ears.




It was harder than Hatori had thought it would be to find the petshop he'd heard Count D talking about when he sat with them in Ayame's living room. The Count had mentioned his new petshop in the neighborhood, but Hatori found himself wandering in circles. It was on his third trip around the neighborhood that Hatori saw the little girl. She was a beautiful child with long black hair and an elaborate outfit. She was sitting on the side walk, crying.
He debated for a moment on just passing the little girl by, but his soft heart got the better of him. "Are you hurt?" He bent down, but didn't touch the girl. He couldn't risk it. "What's your name?"

When she looked up at him, Hatori blinked in surprise. Her eyes were unnaturally large and her ears were long and slanted.

"We are called Hon Ron. You can call me Junrei." She sniffed loudly and her eyes watered. "I don't like being out here, but Shukou yelled at me for crying."

"Who is Shukou?" Hatori asked. Hatori sat down on the sidewalk next to the little girl.

"She is...me. But another me. Do you want to talk to her?"

Hatori knew what was going on as soon as he heard it. The little girl suffered from split personality and he wondered how he should deal with this. Either that or she had complex imaginary friends. She may have run off from an asylum or from her home if her other personalities had told her to. She would be in great danger out here alone. "That's all right." Hatori smiled for her. "May I walk you home, Junrei-chan?"

She shrank away from him. "Oh, I don't know. Leon-san tells us not to talk to strangers."

"My name is Souma Hatori. It's nice to meet you. If you'd like, I can call a police officer to take you home, instead."

She puzzled over that a moment, then closed her eyes. When she opened them, Hatori knew almost immediately that something had changed. The way she held herself changed. "We don't need any idiot police officers!" She exclaimed angrily, all traces of her shyness and insecurity gone. "We can take care of ourselves perfectly well and Junrei's being a baby because she's scared, that's all!"

"I'm sorry." Hatori just then that he'd gone into psychology instead of medicine. "I don't think I know your name. Are you Shukou?"

She snorted and tossed her hair back. "I'm Kanan."

Kanan? Kana? The name was far to close to Kana's name and it sent a sharp pain through Hatori's heart. It had been more than a year ago that Kana had left, he should be used to the fact that she wasn't going to come back to him. But it hurt. He locked away the pain as best as he could, but hearing this small, obviously sick child speak the name of the only woman Hatori had ever given his heart to...it hurt so much.

The little girl closed her eyes again and when she opened them, her face was serene and peaceful. "We're sorry to cause you pain, Souma-san. We give our utmost apologizes for your discomfort. We will leave you now, our thanks for your offer of help, but Kanan was correct. Junrei panicked because there were to many people on the streets a while ago. We can easily find our way again and are capable of looking after ourselves."

"Shukou?"

"Yes."

"Can you tell me something, Shukou?"

"I will try, if only to repay the pain we've unintentionally caused you."

"Who is Hon Ron? Junrei said that you were all Hon Ron, yet you all have individual names."

"We are all Hon Ron, it is just as you've said. We are three children who were born into one body. It is an awkward and long story, but it is the truth. I am Shukou. Kanan and I are strong personalities and we often battle for dominance, but Junrei is a child, in her heart. She never wishes to fight."

"I find this all very...difficult."

Shukou gave Hatori a sly, wicked smile. "More difficult than believing a man who has so deep connections to my people?"

"Your people?" Hatori felt a chill run down his spine and a sudden urge to either draw Shukou into his lap and never let her go or to run away as fast as he could. Neither urge sat well with him, so he remained still.

"Of course. We are Hon Ron. We are Red Dragon." She reached out and put a small hand on the side of Hatori's face. "I do feel it. Something calls us together, Souma-san. Something powerful and something old. Tell me, Souma-san, what are you called?"

"My name is Hatori." He repeated himself.

The little girl shook her head. "No. That will not do. I will call you Kaio Lung, the sleeping dragon. For though your years are greater in number than mine, your strength sleeps. I am also Kaio Lung, but my power grows as I rest in the safe den I have been given since my hatching. Where do you rest? Do you have safety? I think perhaps not. There are so few of us left in this world that I will not allow you to be in danger." She moved her hand to just next to his blind eye and Hatori flinched away as he did when anyone tried to touch that eye. "No," Honron seemed firm on this point. "No, I think you have no safe place to rest. I am not certain of what kind of dragon you are, but you are much like me. Come," Hon Ron stood and took Hatori's hand, giving it a gentle pull. "I will take you somewhere safe where you may grow."
Hatori paled. She knew? How could this child know?! Her mind was confused, she had a split personality, so it was possible that she was just making it up.

"I can't do that." Hatori told her, regretfully. If only the gentle child knew about him, she wouldn't want to even touch him. Still, he stood and gave her a small smile. "May I take you to your home? I think I'd worry if you were alone." That was the truth and this way, Hatori could find out what her living situation was. If she needed to be taken into custody, he'd be able to tell the proper authorities and make sure the little girl was safe.

She regarded him with a superior gaze. "You may walk me home, but afterwards I would visit your home. I would see your home. I would see if your family takes care of you. It is the same that you wish to do for me, is it not? If I decide your family is unworthy of you, I will have you taken from them and given to one who is more capable of caring for you. Again, it is what you would do for me."

"I'm an adult. You can't just have me taken away." Hatori wondered how the girl knew what he was thinking. She couldn't have read his mind; telepathy was nothing but a myth. Still, he was a man who turned into a sea horse and could steal memories. Who was he to say was myth and what was reality? "My family needs me and I won't leave them."

"Oh? We shall see."



To be continued...

Dear readers, I was going to respond to all of your wonderful reviews this chapter, but this chapter grew a bit more than I'd intended. I'll answer reviews in the next chapter, promise. Hope you enjoy this chapter.