Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Long Denied ❯ The Pain ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: The song Lyrics that go through Hatori's mind in this chapter are from Evanescence's, My Immortal. I love that song and it just screams 'Hatori'.


Long Denied
Chapter 17: This Pain


Papa D-


Papa D watched as his plans took shape, exactly as he wished them to. The cat was alone in it's home, now recovered from the dreams he had sent it. Papa D had wondered if the young cat would recover, but it proved resilient and only hours later was getting on with his life. When he concentrated, Papa D could see his newest instrument, Ren. She was, for the most part, unimportant. Her only real value lay in the distraction she would cause. Stealing the child would be enough to allow him to take the cat and get away before his child could do anything to stop him.

'I will have to correct the cat, once I have him.' Papa D thought, turning his attention back to the cat. 'He's been to polluted by the filthy human blood in his veins. That is no real difficulty, though. I can easily rid him of his human blood.' Papa D smiled in anticipation. 'Soon, the source of power will be mine.'

In her car, Ren still watched and waited, preparing for her part in Papa D's plans. All her dreams were tied to the child, Chris, and the bargain she'd struck with Papa D. Papa D had influenced her to a small degree, to make her feel certain she would get what she wanted if only she took the boy. Papa D couldn't care less who ruled the human Souma's and, if everything worked out properly, he would set her up as the head of her house. Of course, once she had her dream in her hand, she would no doubt face charges of kidnapping and then spend the next few years in prison before she was replaced as the head of her family. Because of Papa D's influence, Ren wasn't thinking of the consequences of her actions. All she could think of was how close she was to what she'd always wanted. She would take the human boy, Chris, at noon.

'Then,' Papa D knew. 'Everything will happen today at midday.'


6:00 am
Yuki-


Maybe Yuki had been wrong all along.

"It was decided and they didn't even ask me!" Akito had screamed at Tohru

"You must have been so scared."

How could Tohru have seen something like that when Yuki had never known? Tohru, who'd only met Akito for a collective ten minutes in her whole life, had managed to find his trouble right away. It was times like that, with Tohru kneeling before Akito and being held down by her hair, that Yuki saw how incredible she really was. She was in pain and probably afraid and yet she'd been thinking only of Akito.

Of course Yuki knew about Akito's part of the curse. It was the center of the universe for all the Juikyu.

A woman had been paid to bear Akito. She had been a Souma and knew exactly why she was having a child, but the fortune she'd been paid was enough to ensure that she didn't love her baby. She bore the child and gave it up to the family, knowing that her child was fated to die for the family. The father was, supposedly, some passing man who'd easily been enticed into the woman's bedroom and left soon after. A child born from greed and lust and after that neither the mother or father had ever been seen again. What a sad beginning in life.

'He was raised by my predecessor before she died. The rat before me.' Yuki understood now why Akito had sometimes called him Junko when he was little. Akito had loved Junko very much, from what Hatori had told him. That didn't mean Yuki liked Akito any better, he just understood more.

So, why hadn't another of the cursed taken Akito and raised him after Junko's death? That was simple. Who would want to love and raise a child, knowing that they would die? Knowing that they would go mad?

Only the Junikyu knew exactly what would happen to the head of the family, so why would they want to risk the pain of loving the head of the family? Akito had been given to one of the family not cursed, one who wouldn't feel the agony of his death so severely. At least, it was thought, someone who didn't know Akito would die at a young age wouldn't be so reluctant to love him.

'That was a REAL good decision.' Yuki thought bitterly. Yuki hadn't known Ren well, but, from what he'd heard, she hadn't been any better than his foster mother. If that was the case, maybe Akito did have reason to be pitied.

'Why didn't I ever think that he might be as miserable as I was? Am I really that heartless? No, it's just like I told Tohru, long ago. I'm selfish. I never thought of anyone but myself.' He'd never thought about how Akito felt, because he just didn't care. He'd never cared if Akito was scared or lonely. He'd always been to caught up in his own problems. 'I had to be selfish.' Yuki defended himself. 'No one else would help me. I had to take care of myself.' It seemed, with the memory of Tohru's suffering and her generous, giving nature, like very weak reasoning. 'Even my own brother didn't help me.' Even that seemed weak. Ayame barely knew him. Yuki knew he was kept separate from the rest of his family. He knew Ayame likely didn't have a chance to visit or see him. 'He was only my age when he realized I was being hurt. Would I have the courage if our positions were changed? Could I stand up against Akito for someone I barely knew?' Yuki liked to think that he would have the courage, but...he just wasn't sure.

There was another problem that had kept Yuki up all night, other than his now confused opinion of Akito. Yuki's reaction to Kyou's transformation had surprised him more than he wanted to say.

Yuki had tried to tell himself that it was nothing more than concern for Tohru that had sent him out that rainy night, chasing after Kyou. He had been worried that Tohru would be hurt or get lost in the darkness. He knew Kyou's true form was massively strong and in his irrational state, he could end up hurting Tohru by accident. 'But that wasn't the only reason I went after him.' Yuki had to admit to himself. 'I didn't go after him just for Tohru. I went for Kyou. I was worried about him, too.'

Yuki would never forget the rain or the oppressive fog that had sunk in the night Kyou had unintentionally shown his true form to Tohru. It seemed like all the darkness of the Souma family had become real and the rain pouring down on them was their own misery.

Kazuma was just using Tohru, Yuki knew that. He'd come to Shigure's house specifically to use Tohru to heal Kyou, though what Kazuma had planned could very well have broken Kyou. Even though Yuki knew what Kazuma intended to do, he didn't stop, or even warn Tohru. He'd watched her go out to the front yard and watched while Kazuma took the bracelet. Yuki and Kagura watched Kyou's terrible, painful transformation and they watched Tohru's horrified face as she watched her friend turn into a monster before her eyes.

'I wanted hope.' Yuki thought. 'I care for Tohru very much, but if she could help Kyou, then perhaps there was hope for the rest of us. If I was I was a good person, I would have warned her. I wanted her to save me. I used her as much as Kazuma did.' Yuki hated himself for that. He'd always thought that he would never do anything to hurt her, but he was selfish. Always thinking of himself and never of her.

Everyone had known what Kazuma was going to do, it seemed, except for Kyou and Tohru. Kagura had known, she'd come to Shigure's house just to support Kyou if Tohru failed. Akito had known. Yuki heard that Akito had met Tohru in the forest while she was looking for Kyou. Kazuma didn't seem like the type to let anyone in on his intentions, but somehow, everyone had found out and had been waiting to see what would happen. They waited to see if Tohru would fail them.

Tohru had not failed. She went after Kyou and, with a little help from Yuki, had brought him home. She'd accepted Kyou when even Kyou's own mother hadn't been able to. She saw goodness in Akito when his own family couldn't. What did that say about Tohru's capacity for love?

'I went after Kyou.' Yuki stared at the ceiling of his bedroom with his hands resting under his head. 'I never would have gone after him before.' He hadn't intended to. He'd thought that he would just watch and wait from the house, like everyone else. Before he knew what he was doing, Yuki was out in the rain chasing after Tohru and Kyou.

Yuki yawned and rolled over onto his side as he pondered the past few days. It had only been a few days since Kazuma had left for his dojo again, leaving Kyou behind. The next few days had been relatively quiet, before Kyou's terrible nightmare a few hours ago. It was no wonder that Kyou would have nightmares after what he'd gone thought, thought it seemed very out of character to Yuki To see Kyou screaming like that...it just wasn't right. It wasn't natural.

It had been nothing but a nightmare caused by Kyou's sickness, but Yuki hadn't been able to sleep again, even after he'd reassured Tohru and urged her to get some sleep.

'I went after him in the forest. I...worried for him. I was worried for him again, tonight.' It wasn't really all that strange, they were cousins after all and Yuki had known Kyou for most of his life, but Yuki had never really cared that much about Kyou. 'I never cared about anyone except myself.' Yuki had known all his life that it was expected that he hate Kyou, just as it was expected that Kyou would hate Yuki. Everyone expected it and accepted it. Jokes were make about it in the family and, it seemed to Yuki, at every family gathering, people watched and waited for the fighting to begin.

So...when had Yuki stop hating Kyou? 'I wonder if I ever really did hate him. I wouldn't want to help or comfort someone I hated. Sure, he makes me angry. He knows all the right buttons to push that irritate me. I never did understand why he wants to be 'in' the family, but that's not hate, is it?' This was the first time Yuki had ever actually thought about his relationship with Kyou. 'It all really stared when he suddenly got it into his head that he had to beat me to get into the family. I don't know why it got so urgent all of a sudden. One day, it was as if his time was running out.' Of course, time was running out.

Yuki shied away from that thought, too. There were so many things he didn't want to face. He would have to, very soon. Graduation was quickly approaching. How was he going to tell Tohru why Kyou would leave them the day of graduation? How could he face her and tell her that she would probably never see Kyou again? Everyone knew about the doom of the cat. Kyou would be locked into seclusion. That was just the way it was.

"Who said it has to be that way?" Kagura's voice echoed back at Yuki. She'd said the same thing that rainy night when Yuki had chased after Kyou and Tohru. Yuki didn't know the answer.

Yuki paused his thoughts as he listened to the door across the hall, Kyou's bedroom door, open and then close very softly. He heard Hatori quietly walked down the hallway and start down the stairs. Yuki knew it was Hatori leaving Kyou's room because he'd heard when Hatori had come in and because Kyou never walked so softly unless he was sneaking up on someone. Earlier in the night, Yuki had heard Shigure's phone conversation with Hatori and knew that Shigure had left and Hatori had taken his place.

'I supposed that no one knows I'm awake. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about everything. It's good that I stop hating Kyou. Tohru and Shigure will be happy if there's less fighting.' Hating Kyou had been a major part of Yuki's life and if that hate stopped, Yuki wasn't sure what that would mean. Perhaps nothing would change. Kyou still did a lot of things that made Yuki angry and the cat's terrible temper wouldn't change. They could probably go on fighting just as they always had. In a way, Yuki rather enjoyed fighting with Kyou. It was a nice way to relieve stress and he knew he couldn't hurt Kyou, not really. Except for Kyou, Yuki couldn't fight anyone without worrying that he would hurt them.

A soft noise caught Yuki's attention.

'I don't want to get up.' It seemed completely unnatural to get out of bed when it was still dark outside. 'It's far to early to even set foot out of bed.'

Music tickled at Yuki's ears and he wondered if Tohru had the radio on downstairs. The voice sounded familiar, but Yuki couldn't quite place it. He wasn't much of a music love, but...this he liked. With his curiosity finally getting the better of him, Yuki crawled out of bed and pulled on his bathrobe, thankful that it was Sunday. He wouldn't have to deal with school, so maybe he could go back to sleep after he found out where the music was coming from.

It was Tohru and that woke Yuki up in an instant. He recognized her voice only when he saw Hatori standing at the doorway of the kitchen, but it made Yuki freeze. The entire world fell away and the only thing Yuki was aware of was the angelic sound of Tohru's voice.

Yuki was crying.

He didn't care. Her voice...it pierced his heart. It made everything that was ever painful or hurtful in his life melt away into nothing. Like heaven come to Earth, Tohru's voice was paradise. Yuki raised a hand to his mouth when he felt a sob rise in his throat and he feared that any noise would break the spell Tohru's voice wove.

Of course, Hatori interrupted Tohru to speak with her and, for just a brief moment, Yuki wanted to kill Hatori.

Hatori left the house but Tohru didn't start singing again, so Yuki went back up to his room. This time, his mind was filled not with rain and confusion but with Tohru's voice. He sat in his room for a long time, not even bothering to lay down, and Yuki smiled.

It was hours later before Yuki finally decided it was time to get up and start the day.

"I have a long day." Yuki thought as he started to get dressed. "I told myself that I'd do it today." He dressed in plain black trousers with a red shirt and made sure he looked relatively neat and presentable. First impressions were important after all. Today was the day he went job hunting for the first time. 'I'll find a good job and I'll do what Tohru's done. I'll save my money and after graduation, I'll be able to take care of myself. I'd like to go to college, maybe. Perhaps I'll study botany. I won't ever ask Akito for money again. I won't even have to ask Shigure.'

He was strong enough, now. The night Tohru had confronted Akito had proved that to Yuki. When Akito looked as if he might hurt Tohru, Yuki had jumped up without thinking and helped Shigure to restrain Akito. 'I stood up against him.' A proud smiled played at Yuki's lips. It might not have seemed like a big thing to anyone else, but to Yuki, the whole world seemed to change in that moment.

Yuki had great hopes, as well as great fears, about what this day would bring. A job. A real, honest to goodness job where Yuki could earn his own money. He could be like Kazuma and not be dependent on the family money. It would be another step away from the family...away from Akito.

Yuki mulled over that last thought as he went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. He just couldn't decide how he felt about Akito. Everyone knew, everyone believed, that Yuki hated Akito. Akito was the greatest fear in Yuki's life, true, but....

*Yuki, come play with me. Please?*

Akito had been kind once. Yuki had several memories, tattered and faded from the passage of time, of Akito that weren't filled with pain. Akito had always been selfish and demanding, but he hadn't always been cruel. Yuki's mind raced back to one of his few happy childhood memories when he'd gone to play with Akito. The older boy had been happy to see him and one day they'd played catch in Akito's garden with a large rubber ball. It had been fun.

'No, no! I won't feel badly for him.' Yuki's face set with determination. 'No matter what he was like once, he's different now. Even if he did have a moment's pity and he didn't hurt Tohru, Akito is still dangerous. He's insane and could come to hurt Tohru any time. I have to get away from him.' He'd get a part-time job and work for his own money, like Tohru did. He'd save up for his own apartment after high school and get a full-time job, something that wasn't owned or controlled by the Souma family.

Yuki looked down as he thought and his eyes fell to the still full laundry hamper. GASP! Yuki dropped his toothbrush with shock at what lay on the top of the pile. Yuki had been having a good morning. He'd even been starting to soften his attitude about his brother, but no longer. His anger at Ayame came back in full force at the sight of flowery underwear right on the top of the heap of clothes Tohru would be washing. 'He just left them here?' Yuki picked up the offensive THING as fire started to burn at his mind. 'He left work for Tohru without telling anyone he was here? How dare he! That...that arrogant snake!' A buried part of Yuki's mind wondered if he was angry that his brother was making more work for poor Tohru or if he was angry Ayame hadn't said hello to him while he was near.


10:30am
Leon-


Leon's dream-


A baby was crying.

Murakai was sleeping on D's sofa, but it didn't seem at all odd. Leon was standing behind the sofa and looking down at Murakai's peaceful face. For once, Leon couldn't smell the eternal burning incense of the petshop and it made him nervous. The petshop was still as dark as always, the darkness hiding things that Leon really thought he ought to see.

"D? Where are you?" Leon called. He couldn't move his feet. "D?" Leon's voice echoed off walls Leon couldn't see and called back at him, mockingly. It seemed as if nothing existed in the room but the sofa, the sleeping Murakai, and Leon. Added to his echoing voice, Leon could hear growls and cries of the animals he couldn't see. Leon said, "Go find D. I wanna talk to him." He knew the animals could understand him, but none of them answered him.

"Big brother."

Leon looked down and found his little brother sitting on his knees next to the sofa and Murakai. "Chris? Where's D?" It didn't seem strange to Leon that Chris was talking. Really talking. He loved Chris and saw in his little brother what he might have been. Chris was sweet, innocent, and loving. He was the kindest person Leon knew and, someday, Leon expected to see great things from Chris. He wouldn't be stuck in a dead-end job working for minimum wage. He wouldn't be like Leon. He wanted to give Chris everything.

Instead of answering, Chris put his little hand on Murakai's face. "Don't wake him up, big brother." Chris said, softly. "He's happier, now."

"How do you know?" Leon wanted to reach out for Chris, but his arms wouldn't move anymore than his legs would. This was so strange.

"He was so unhappy. Why did they do this to him, big brother? Why did they hurt him?" When Chris looked up at Leon, his eyes were confused "It's not fair. He didn't do anything bad."

"No, he didn't." Leon didn't know how to explain this to Chris, he didn't want to scare his little brother. "Bad things happen, Chris. Murakai was very unlucky."

"What if it was me? What if I was unlucky?" Chris looked back at Murakai. "He won't wake up again."

"I won't let it happen to you, Chris."

The room grew brighter, but Leon only then realized that it wasn't the petshop. It was some terrible cell, like an old prison from a black and white movie. It was cold, but now lit by a single fluorescent light bulb that dangled precariously from a wire in the center of the ceiling. Chris still sat on D's red sofa next to the sleeping Murakai, but everything else had changed. "Big brother, I don't want to be like this."

There were children everywhere. Thin and starved like those children from destitute countries that was always on the TV commercials. Arms and legs like twigs and hollowed, haunted eyes and all of them dressed in rags. Some of the children were half-grown, nearly teenagers, but their eyes were all dead. All those eyes were fixed on Leon, waiting. He knew who they were. Each one was marked with a black scorpion on their chest, just over their hearts.

"Who put you here?" Leon asked. Horror. That was all Leon could think of. He was terrified, not for himself, but that he could do nothing to save these children. He felt like he was going to be sick. "Who did this to you?" None of them answered, but continued to stare at him with empty eyes. "Are you hungry?" What good would that do? Even if he could move, Leon knew he had nothing to give them.

The baby was still crying. Leon looked down and saw the baby. Its face was red from crying and great tears ran down its cheeks as it swung its arms around its head. It was right at Leon's feet. "Don't cry." Leon urged, feeling his heart go out to the baby. "I'll save you."

"How?" Chris asked. "How can you save it if you can't even move? You can't do anything."

"Well, you pick it up." Leon told Chris. "You can't just let a baby cry."

"I can't do anything, either. I'm dead." Blood oozed down Chris' face, dripping off his chin. There was a wound in his temple, a bullet hole.

"Chris! Fuck! What the Hell happened?!" Leon shouted. He still couldn't move. There was nothing he could do and Chris started to cry, too. "Come here!"

"I'm dead, big brother. Why did you bring us here? Why didn't you tell the Count what you were doing? You knew he'd worry about you, he always does. Look. Look what you did." Chris raised one arm and pointed. When Leon followed Chris' pointing finger he saw more bodies, littered among the starving children. Jill lay face down on the floor, her face obscured by her bouncy hair. D...D was half-propped up against a wall, his eyes wide open, even in death. "You killed us, big brother."

"I didn't." Leon shook his head, feeling faint as he looked at his partner, his brother, and...and D. "I never wanted this."

"You should have told the truth, big brother." Chris lay down next to Murakai on the sofa. "I'm going to sleep now. I'll never wake up, just like Murakai. Goodbye, big brother."


End dream-


It was late in the morning when Leon woke, shaken out of his sleep by the nightmare. He was sweating and shaking uncontrollably. 'Oh, God.' Leon hugged himself and took a deep breath. 'It was just a dream. That's all.' But he felt his determination strengthen. 'I will find Black Scorpion. I will find them and I'll stop them. I won't let them hurt any more children.' Though now Leon had the extra worry of making sure that D, Chris, and Jill weren't hurt. It was going to take some work.

After a short time, Leon was dressed and in Ayame's little kitchen, sipping at his coffee. He'd have to go see D, today. After all, he'd have to make sure Chris was safe and there were a few questions he wanted to ask, though he knew D wouldn't give him any answers.

"So," Leon grinned at the sight of Jill staggering into Ayame's small kitchen and slumping down at the table. "Did you have a nice sleep last night?"

Jill looked at Leon from under her messy curls and growled, "Shut it." Though her face did darken nicely with a blush. "Where the Hell's my coffee?" Jill definitely wasn't a morning person.

"Here." Leon passed a mug of coffee, he'd already poured for her. He'd never seen Jill look so, casual. He'd seen her worn to the point of exhaustion from work and he'd seen her on off days in nothing but sweat pants and that T-shirt she had with the stains all over it, but this was almost strange. She was dressed in nothing but her bathrobe and, when she crossed her legs without thinking, Leon realized that she was wearing nothing under it. 'Wow...' Leon turned his eyes quickly up to Jill's face. That was a part of his partner Leon really didn't want to think about.

"You make lousy coffee, Leon." Jill grumbled.

Leon was just thankful that she hadn't caught him staring at her legs. "D says the same thing, he won't even touch it." Leon made his grin as irritating as possible. "I was wondering where your new friend is. She didn't leave you last night, did she?"

"You're pushing your luck, Orcot."

Leon didn't feel at all guilty. Jill deserved nothing less for all the teasing he'd gotten about D. Speaking of which... "I'm going to see D in a bit. I don't suppose I'll get any straight answers from him, but I ought to try."

"I guess. Hey, does he know why we're here? Have you told him about Black Scorpion?"

Leon shrugged. "He knows enough." D was nearly one of Murakai's victims, after all. He'd actually been the boy's prisoner before he was able to slip some kind of drug into the kid's drink and knocked him up. Strangely, the boy had never woken up, though the doctors had declared it was nothing to do with D's drug, whatever it was. It was trauma that had put the boy into an endless sleep. Leon had never been more grateful for D's friendship than that day when D had saved Chris' life. If D hadn't been there that day and Chris had been alone when Murakai had stumbled into the petshop...

Such terrible thoughts. What if Murakai hadn't hesitated when he entered the petshop? What if he had killed Chris and D? Leon didn't even like to think about what the injured and confused Murakai could have done.

"How much is enough?" Jill asked, bringing Leon out of his dismal thoughts. "Is he going to be in danger now that he's here?" As always, Jill was nothing if not practical. "What about Chris. He thinks you're here on vacation, so he's going to want to spend time with you, isn't he? We're here on our own, Leon. No back up and no official status. I have no idea where we're going hunting for Black Scorpion, but I'm pretty sure we don't want to drag them into this."

Leon didn't reply. He and Jill thought pretty much along the same lines and he'd already been thinking the same things. "I have a starting place, but it's going to take some delicate work." Leon set his coffee cup down on the little table and leaned forward, closer to Jill. "Ritsu said his cousin had a tattoo of a Black Scorpion on his chest, but that it wasn't Ayame. His name's Kureno. Ayame told me that nearly his entire family lives at a huge estate somewhere nearby, on the edge of the city. I'm going there, I want to talk to Kureno."

"Right." Jill set her now empty coffee cup down. "So, where's this estate? We can leave as soon as I'm dressed."

"Er..." Leon couldn't quite meet her eyes. "I don't know." After his terrible dream, Leon didn't want to let even Jill help him. He couldn't let her get hurt anymore than he would let D or Chris get hurt.

"What? Didn't you ask Ayame?"

"Of course I did, but he wouldn't tell me. I don't even know why, but he kept changing the subject whenever I asked."

"Sounds as if he's got something to hide."

"He's not lying to me." Leon didn't like to think that Ayame would have something to hide from him. They'd never lied to each other about anything. Leon liked to think Ayame just didn't know his cousin could be Black Scorpion. Ayame was obviously a good, innocent man and Leon still wasn't sure he liked the rest of Ayame's family. So far he'd only met two of Ayame's cousins, plus Ritsu, and Ritsu was the only one Leon liked at all. The first one, Hatori, seemed so cold and stiff that he just set Leon off for some reason. That Shigure made Leon want to strangle him for no good reason.

'No, there is a reason.' Leon's thoughts went back to the late night meeting with Ayame's black haired cousin who'd come in shortly after Hatori had left. Shigure was pleasant, out-going, with a winning smile and an apparently sunny disposition. He was also quick-witted and was hiding something. In fact, if Leon was prone to gamboling, he would bet money that Shigure was hiding quite a few secrets. 'He's smart. He knows he's smart. He was looking for something here. I know why I wanted to strangle him. It's the same reason I wanted to strangle D when I first met him. He's too self-confident.' Leon shuddered at the idea that Ayame's weird cousin reminded him so much of D.

"I didn't say he was dishonest. Everyone hides something, Leon. I just mean..."

SLAM! SLAM!

Jill and Leon both looked up when a door downstairs slammed open and then closed again before they heard furious shouting and stomping footsteps marching up the stairs that led directly to where Leon and Jill were sitting.

"I can't stand it anymore!" A young voice shouted. "If you have to visit Shigure, at least have the decency to take your underwear home! Honda-san shouldn't have to even look at these disgusting things, let alone wash them! You don't even live with us, idiot snake!"

Jill and Leon exchanged puzzled looks, then turned back to the door and waited for whoever it was.

The kitchen door swung violently open and revealed a young teenage boy with shaggy silver grey hair and angry purple eyes. He was dressed in black trousers, which had been ironed to a crisp crease, and a fine mandarin style shirt. The boy was extremely thin and looked as if he'd break in a harsh breeze. He was also carrying a pair of men's boxer shorts decorated with pink roses.

The boy followed Leon and Jill's gazes down to the boxer shorts in his hand before he thrust them behind his back and had the good grace to blush. Still, he managed to get a hold of himself quickly. "I'm looking for my brother." He said this with an air of great dignity, which was very hard for a teenage boy who was hiding a pair of underwear behind his back in front of two strangers, one of them a half-dressed woman. Leon almost had to pity the kid. "Ayame?"

"Brother?" Leon blinked, then smiled when realization hit him. "Hey!" He shouted, pounding on the table, he was so pleased with his discovery. "You must be Yuki. Right? You look just like Ayame described." The resemblance was incredible, Leon noted. This boy's hair was slightly darker than Ayame's silver hair and his eyes were a different color, but other than that, they were identical.

The boy smiled coolly. "Well, yes. May I ask your name? I'm afraid I didn't know my brother had guests this morning." He paused, looking from Leon to Jill and seemed to linger on Jill's bare legs. "My brother is here, isn't he?" Obviously, some very X-rated thoughts were running through the boy's mind, considering the blush that grew on his cheeks when he turned his eyes away from Jill all of a sudden.

While Jill either hadn't noticed or cared about Leon looking at her legs, she did notice now. Jill's eyes sprung open and she shot a glare at the boy while she uncrossed her legs and straightened her bathrobe. "No, he isn't!"

"But I am!" A chirpy voice cried. Everyone looked up to the door Jill had walked through just a few moments ago to see Mine-chan bouncing out with a spring in her step. She was wearing nothing but a sheer pink negligee that left absolutely -nothing- to the imagination. "Hi, Yuki-kun!"

"Good morning, Mine-chan." Yuki put a hand to his eyes and turned away, the blush threatening to burn his face. He was incredibly embarrassed, but didn't seem very surprised.

Jill, on the other hand, was mortified. "What are you doing?!?" Jill jumped up and ran to Mine-chan and started to push her out of the room. "Have you no modesty? Get some clothes on! There's a child here, for God's sakes!"

Mine-chan was stronger than she looked and actually fought Jill for a moment, seeming to find it very entertaining. "Child? Oh, you mean Yuki-kun. Hee, hee. He's not a child, he's the boss's little brother. The boss is at the estate, Yuki-kun." She called, even as Jill forced her out of the room. "It was nice to see you again. Bring Honda-san, next time you visit!" She giggled again when Jill finally forced her though the door and the last thing Leon heard from her was, "Why, Jill-chan..." Then their voices faded away and Leon was left with a very awkward looking young man.

Leon broke the silence when he realized this was probably going to be his only chance to get away from Jill. "Hey, kid. Could you do me a favor?"

"Possibly." Yuki replied coolly while he tossed the boxer shorts onto the kitchen counter with a look of mild disgust.

"I need to talk to Ayame, but he's at that estate. He forgot to tell me how to reach him, think you could show me the way?"

"I suppose so. Wouldn't it be easier to use the telephone? I can give you the number of the place he is most likely staying at."

"Naw, I really wanted to talk to him in person. It's kind of important." Leon tried his best to look calm as he asked, but this was his best hope of finding Kureno. If he could find the estate, then it should be easy enough to snoop around a little.

"Well, I can't take you there." Yuki began slowly. "But I can give you directions. I can't guarantee that you'll be allowed in, though. They're very particular about who is allowed onto the estate."

"I'll worry about that when I get there." Leon assured him with a pleasant, if eager smile. If he had to, Leon was quite willing to break into the estate. He'd do anything to make sure no child ever ended up like Murakai again.

As Yuki scribbled down directions to the estate on a piece of paper, Leon decided that once this was all over, he would help Ayame out with Yuki. After all, if it hadn't been for Ayame, Leon might never have had the chance to get to know Chris. It was thanks to Ayame's advice that Leon had chosen to keep Chris instead of sending him to that institute. Ayame had told Leon how painful it was to lose someone you should be so close to.


10:00am
Hon Ron-


"Watch your step." Hatori put a hand on Hon Ron's shoulder and pulled her slightly away from the street when a car came dangerously close to the sidewalk.

Hon Ron was surprised, at first, about Hatori's gentle nature. He was very quiet, but had such great compassion lurking under his cold exterior. "Will you stay at my home, Kaio Lung? I'm sure you'll like it. Everyone who lives at my home likes it."

"I have my own home, Junrei-chan." He said without looking at her. He was a very precise seeming man, his clothes, his hair, his manner were all perfect. The only thing that appeared to be out of place was his missing eye and Hon Ron only noticed that because Hatori's balance was off. He constantly kept his head tilted slightly to the side, allowing him to see out of his good eye. "My family depends on me."

"Then why don't you seem happy?"

Hatori didn't answer.

'Shukou, you talk to him.' Junrei said to her more mature self. 'I don't know the words. He's so unhappy.'

Deep in their shared mind, where the three of them lived together, Shukou refused. 'You don't need the words and he doesn't need to be told anything. He already knows.' Shukou was as gentle and caring as Count D himself. 'He will come to his own conclusions soon enough and he'll find the answers he needs.'

Kanan agreed. 'He's not stupid! Even a child like you can see that, Junrei. He thinks he's responsible for his own troubles, so let him be. He's not the kind of man who'd thank you for fixing his problems.'

'But I don't like seeing him so unhappy.' Junrei wailed. 'He's nice, I like him!'

'So do we.' Shukou reassured Junrei. 'That's why we're bringing him to the Count. Don't worry. This will make everything better.'

Junrei looked up at Hatori as they walked along. 'I hope so.' She'd met so few dragons in her sheltered life, but it was easy to tell Hatori was like her. She could feel his blood singing to her. It was as if she was walking next to pure music and she loved it. Impulsively, Hon Ron seized Hatori's hand and squeezed it tightly. 'He sounds so beautiful.' It was as if Hon Ron could hear Hatori's true self and she almost missed his shocked expression. 'Why does he look so surprised?'

Kanan answered, 'The Count's very interested in him. Why else would he have sent us to get him? Just get him home and I'm sure the Count will take care of him.'

Shukuo's words were the most comfort to Junrei, though. 'If Hatori's home is unsuitable, I am certain Count D will allow him to live with us. For now, do not press yourself on Hatori. I think this will be a hard day for him.'

'Why?' Junrei asked.

'Count D would not wish him in our home without a reason. Let the issue go of seeing his home. Count D will take care of Kaio Lung.'

Hon Ron was exactly what she said she was, a dragon. She was justifiably proud of being Count D's favorite dragon. He'd cared for her for sixty years while she waited to hatch, safe and happy in a small locked box in Count D's care. It was Leon who'd helped to hatch Hon Ron and she'd never forget his role in her life. Kanan came from Leon most of all, she'd inherited his volatile temperament. Just before her hatching, Hon Ron had become aware. Strong hands were holding her and running. The person holding her was nervous, so terribly worried. She'd hatched the moment Leon had thrown her into the air above the sea, coming into life in a great flash of light. Later, Count D had found her and brought her back to the petshop.

Her other form was far more impressive than the one she currently wore for the benefit of her companion. A three headed dragon that was a mix of European and oriental dragon's; Hon Ron was the world's only half-breed. Only a year old, Hon Ron was a baby of a dragon, though her dragon form was immense and her humanoid form looked nearly eight years old. It was barely a year since she'd hatched in the hands of her mama, Leon. That was what Count D had always told Hon Ron, that Leon was her mama because Leon had helped to shape her development and personality. It didn't matter that Hon Ron had never properly met Leon or that he didn't even know she really existed. He was apart of her.

"Where is your home, exactly?"

Hon Ron looked up at her tall companion and it was Junrei who answered. "Close. The Count didn't want anyone to find it. He sort of hid it. You wouldn't be able to find it if I didn't show you where it was."

"He hid your home?" Before Junrei could answer, Hatori looked at them sharply. "Count? Count D?"

"Yes." Junrei smiled and pressed Hatori's hand to her cheek. "You didn't think it was an accident that I met you out here, did you?" She liked him very much. "Count D asked me to find you and bring you home."

"How do you know Count D?"

It was a silly question, but Hatori didn't know that. It was Count D who had sent Hon Ron out to find Hatori. She remembered his instructions quite well. That a man would be looking for the petshop and Hon Ron was to lead him there. The Count hadn't mentioned that the person she would be looking for was a dragon. "You wanted to see our home, did you not? Count D is master of our home." This time it was Shukou who spoke. "This was the only way. What's wrong?"

Hatori had stopped very suddenly and was no longer looking at Hon Ron. He said nothing, so Hon Ron followed his gaze and saw that he was looking at a young man and a girl talking. The young man was tall with neatly kept blonde hair and well-dressed. The young woman wore an apron and apparently worked in the small store they were standing in front of. She was pretty with straight, bleached blonde hair that was pinned to the back of her head, though long strands escaped to frame her face.

"I'm sorry. I can't come tomorrow." The young man said with a soft, regretful voice. "Something's come up in the family."

"But, Kureno, tomorrow we were...oh, never mind." The young woman stopped herself and smiled, putting a hand to the side of her head and dug her fingers into her hair. "Don't worry about it. I guess it must be important. Gotta take care of family business, after all."

"You aren't mad, are you, Arissa-kun?"

"Don't be stupid. Mad? Jesus, we only met yesterday and it's only a movie!" She looked away, but as she did, she faced Hon Ron and Hatori more fully and Hon Ron could see the hurt on her face that she obviously didn't want the young man to see. "We can go another time, right?" When she turned back to him, she wore a bright smile.

"I'd like to, but I don't know when I can get away. One of my cousins had an accident. I have to...make arrangements. I have heavy responsibilities to my family. I think I can find one of my cousins to take care of things for the day, though. If not tomorrow, then another day. I...have never met anyone like you, Arissa-kun."

Hatori watched it all with a blank expression. "I didn't expect this." He muttered when Kureno began to walk away and the girl walked back into the store. He's gone pale and his hand tightened around Hon Ron's. "I'll have to tell Shigure."

"Is this bad?" Junrei asked, worried for Hatori.

"Bad?" He looked down at her, as if surprised to find that he wasn't alone. "No. Not exactly. I will need to speak with him, though. After Count D."

Junrei couldn't agree more. "You'll like Count D. He's very kind."

"Perhaps."


Hatori-


The last person Hatori thought he'd have to worry about in a relationship with an outsider was Kureno. If nothing else, he wouldn't have thought that Kureno would find the time to meet a girl, he was so attached to Akito. Hatori should have known better. Even with his horrific background, Kureno was still human. Of course he would crave a loving relationship. 'Maybe he needs it even more because of his past.' He watched Kureno and Arissa Uotani, Tohru's friend, part ways and felt his heart go out to his cousin. Not for now, but for the future. 'It isn't fair. He won't be able to stay with her. No more than I could stay with Kana.' He could also pity the girl, Arissa. She was a young girl falling in love for, probably, the first time. No doubt, she was frightened and worried about everything. It wasn't fair that she wouldn't be able to have the young man she wished for. She'd suffer for something that wasn't even her fault.

Kureno was clearly following the same path that Hatori had walked not long ago. The path that had ripped his heart apart.

"Kaio Lung, we should go." Junrei pulled at Hatori's hand, urging him on. "It's just around the corner."

Hatori followed the child willingly. He could only handle so many problems at once and this should be the easiest. All he had to do was what he'd been doing his whole life. Slip into the mind of Count D and steal a few memories. Simple, right? He'd done it a thousand times before.

Hon Ron led Hatori into a dark alley and to a door. It was a nondescript and plain, but Hatori paused when Hon Ron pulled open the door. He couldn't see anything inside, but part of a stairway that led down into darkness. Hon Ron pulled at Hatori's hand. "Come on. Don't worry, I won't let anything hurt you."

Hatori was getting better at telling the three personalities apart, simply from the facial expressions. "Thank you, Junrei-chan." He gave her a little smile, but his mind still lingered on the man who waited at the bottom of the stairs. He'd hoped that Shigure could have provided some kind of insight into Count D or find out how he'd found out about the curse. Ritsu surely hadn't made a mistake, he'd have confided in Ayame the moment he'd gotten home and Ayame would have told Hatori.

Another squeeze on his hand and Hatori looked down at Hon Ron's sweet smile. "You're worrying again, aren't you?" Impulsively, Hon Ron threw her arms around Hatori and hugged him tightly. "You really don't have to. I won't let anyone hurt you again, Kaio Lung." With that she released Hatori's hand and stepped easily through the doorway and descended into the darkness, leaving Hatori to either follow or leave. It was his choice.

'She...hugged me. Nothing happened.' Hatori's mind had stalled as he took that in. The child was definitely a girl, there was no doubt. So it wasn't possible. Yet, there he stood, still human. Hatori looked down into the darkness, but Hon Ron had already vanished. 'Logically, either she isn't a girl, which I'm sure she is, or...she isn't human.' Hatori didn't immediately dismiss that idea. Speaking very technically, Hatori wasn't exactly human, either. He knew there was magic in the world, so it was possible that Hon Ron wasn't human, either. 'She said she was a dragon. I wonder...No.' Hatori put a hand to his face and rubbed his eyes. 'My mind's playing tricks on me. I need to sleep. She's just a little girl. She doesn't know anything and she's not dangerous. She didn't just hug me.'

Hatori started down the stairway. No matter what was going on, he had work to do. As he went down the stairway, Hatori heard a voice speaking and it kept getting louder until he came to the bottom of the stairs. At the very bottom of the stairs were two large doors that opened inward and, around the edges of the doors shone a light from the other side. Hatori lightly pushed on the doors and the voice inside came to him very clearly. A strong smell hit him almost at once. Incense.

"Yes, Leon. No, nothing out of the ordinary. Of course. Shall I give you directions? My new shop is difficult to find, if you don't know where to look. Why, I believe that one could look all night and not find it." Count D stood near a red velvet sofa, looking unreal in the dim light. As he spoke on the phone, Count D turned slightly to look at Hatori and acknowledge his presence with a soft smile. "I really must be going, Leon. Yes, I have a customer."

Hatori looked around and took in as much information as he could. Hon Ron stood at Count D's side, waiting patiently with her eyes fixed on Count D. She turned to Hatori and put a finger to her lips, signaling him to be silent while Count D spoke.

There was none of the overpowering fear that Hatori had felt at the airport, but Hatori thought nothing of it. The smell of incense was making him drowsy, so Hatori knew he would have to make this fast. Faster was better, then his victim would never know what hit them.

Count D hung up the telephone with an audible click before he turned his eyes to look at Hatori. "Greetings. I'm so pleased my darling child was able to find you, Souma-san." He put one of his delicately painted hands on Hon Ron's head, patting her as one might a pet. "You've done well, Hon Ron."

"Thank you, Count." She bowed respectfully to him.

Hatori barely heard the conversation, he was so focused on the purpose for his visit. He waited until Count D's back was towards him before he quietly slipped in behind him and put a hand over Count D's eyes. He did the same thing he'd always done, ease open his target's mind and steal the offending memories. Only...this time...it didn't work.

Pain lashed into Hatori's mind, as if feedback were bouncing off Count D's mind and into Hatori's. He staggered away from Count D, his hands pressed to his face as he struggled to breathe and his knees gave way. 'I failed. It didn't work.' Hatori fell, his elbows striking the floor, but it was nothing compared to the pain he'd felt when he tried to enter Count D's mind. It was like a goldfish trying to attack a shark, foolish at best.

"You shouldn't have done that." Shukou said softly, her voice coming to Hatori through the pain. "You aren't strong enough." Her little hand patted Hatori's head, but he didn't have the energy to move away from her. He just lay on the floor and waited until he could see straight. When he finally managed to look up, Hatori found Count D smiling down at him, benevolently.

"How interesting. The dragon's ability to influence the mind has been much decreased, but some measure of talent still remains." He seemed more amused than anything. "I fear that you should not try to influence MY mind, however. It is not good for your health." He looked over Hatori's head. "Please leave us, Hon Ron."

"Yes, Count D." Hon Ron left quietly, through yet another set of doors.

Hatori felt as if his brain were being boiled inside his skull, though the pain was gradually dulling. "What are you?" Hatori asked when Hon Ron had gone. "You...you're not human. Hon Ron..."

"Is a child." Count D interrupted. "A very sensitive child. She is fond of you."

"What do you want?" He couldn't take Count D's memory. The family secret was found out. Hatori had failed. His use to the family was over.

"Very little." Count D told him. "I am here to correct a misdeed. Nothing more. I think your family will not thank me, however." Count D bent down and helped Hatori to the sofa where he could sit more comfortably. "You are in pain? It will ease shortly." He looked over his shoulder and spoke to someone Hatori couldn't see. "Ah. There you are."

Hatori barely heard Count D, however. It felt as if his whole world had been destroyed. He couldn't go home and tell Akito that he'd failed. This was the one benefit Hatori gave the family and now, if he couldn't even steal memories...what good was he? There was still so much to do. He still had to check in on Rin and make an appearance for Akito. What good was any of it if this man knew about the family? 'Was it all for nothing? Yuki lost all his friends. Momiji and Kyou lost their families. Kana. Was all the pain for nothing? It was all to protect a secret that got out in the end.' It seemed so...so...

~I'M SO TIRED OF BEING HERE~
~SUPPRESSED BY ALL MY CHILDISH FEAR.~

"Kana." Hatori's mind slid to a halt when Count D stepped out of Hatori's line of sight and, in all her radiant glory, there stood Kana. Hatori's mouth fell open and his heart seemed to stop. "Kana, what are you doing here?" She shouldn't be here. Wasn't she in Kyoto with her husband? Her hair was short again, like it had been when they'd first met. In fact, everything about her was exactly the same as the first time she'd appeared in his office. Her hair, her eyes, even the clothes she wore.

~AND IF YOU HAVE TO LEAVE~
~I WISH THAT YOU WOULD JUST LEAVE.~

Kana laughed merrily. "Don't I get a bit of a warmer welcome? I thought you'd be pleased to see me." She let go of Count D's hand and came to stand in front of Hatori before she couched down onto her knees before him. "I've missed you, Hatori."

~'CAUSE YOUR PRESENCE STILL LINGERS HERE~
~AND IT WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE.~

The pain of two years ago, when he'd lost her, came flooding back in full force and Hatori was shaking when he unconsciously reached out to her. She was still so beautiful. So sweet. It felt as if she'd never left him and two years of pain vanished. For just a moment, Hatori forgot that Kana was now married. He forgot the look of horror on her face when he bled and the terror as Akito screamed at her. He'd been trying to preserve a love that he'd though hopeless. She was in reach, right before his eyes. She was smiling. Smiling at HIM! She was looking at him without the grief at their last meeting. Was it possible...?

No.

Hatori pulled back from Kana and put his hands on his lap. This wasn't right. Kana had forgotten. She was in Kyoto on her honeymoon, still.

~THESE WOUNDS WON'T SEEM TO HEAL~
~THIS PAIN IS JUST TO REAL.~
~THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH THAT TIME CANNOT ERASE.~

Kana was perfect, just as he remembered her. Her eyes...they were still so warm and so full of love. "Hatori, aren't you happy to see me? I came to see you." She looked very much like Tohru, her innocence and sincerity.

"To see...me? Why?" Hatori remembered the sweet spring days when he and Kana would take walks together. It was paradise. He would have done anything for Kana. He truly had been willing to fight Akito for her. He would have given his life for her. He still would.

~WHEN YOU CRY I'D WIPE AWAY ALL OF YOUR TEARS~
~WHEN YOU'D SCREAM I'D FIGHT ALL OF YOUR FEARS~
~I HELD YOUR HAND THROUGH ALL OF THESE YEARS~
~BUT YOU STILL HAVE~
~ALL OF ME.~

"Why?" Again, Kana laughed and put her hands on Hatori's knees. "Why do I need a reason? We're going to be married, aren't we?" Kana reached out to touch Hatori's face, but he jerked away, desperate not to be touched. This dream was to real and he would be lost to it if she touched him.

"This isn't real." Hatori's voice sounded distant. He stood and inched away from Kana, still kneeling on the floor. "You are not Kana!" With that, Hatori turned and ran, his reason for coming here completely forgotten with Kana's appearance. He had to get out, get away from Kana's face and her gentle smile. NOW!

Hatori ran the entire way home. It was only his iron will that kept him from bursting into tears right on the street. He managed to get to his house without a break down. Just outside his house, Hatori closed his eyes. Kana's face appeared before him, first smiling angelically and then crying hysterically. He quickly opened his eyes to rid himself of the vision.

'I will not cry. Crying does no good. I have to much to do. I have to check on Kyou. I have to look in on Rin. I have to give Akito his daily check-up. I don't have time, I should have gone straight to Shigure's house.' The fact that he hadn't slept for the past two days and nights weren't helping his mental state. Hatori's hands were shaking when he opened the door and he almost didn't notice Ayame sitting at his living room table.

Hatori felt sudden relief to find Ayame sitting on his sofa, working on some of his sewing. Ayame was such a fixture in Hatori's life. Whenever Hatori needed him, Ayame was there. This time, though, Hatori needed time to get himself together. He didn't want Ayame to see him weak.

Ayame noticed something was wrong the moment he looked up at Hatori. "'Tori, is something wrong? You look like you're going to crying." Ayame began to stand the moment Hatori had entered the house.

Instead of answering his friend, Hatori rushed passed Ayame, hoping that if he got to his office, he could calm himself. It wouldn't do for anyone to see him so upset. He had to control himself. The moment Hatori closed the door of his office behind him, he took a deep breath and forced his body to relax. 'I just have to calm down. I don't know what kind of trick that was, I don't know how he did it, but it was just a trick. Kana's in Kyoto. She doesn't remember.' Hatori's eyes fell on the photograph of Kana he'd always kept in his office.

~YOU USED TO CAPTIVATE ME~
~BY YOUR RESONATING LIGHT~
~NOW I'M BOUND BY THE LIFE YOU LEFT BEHIND~

"Oh, God..." Hatori stumbled away from the door and towards the photograph of the woman he'd given his soul to. "Kana, forgive me. Please. I never wanted you to be hurt. I'd rather die than hurt..." His voice faded away into a sob as he picked up the photograph and held it tenderly with both hands. A tear drop fell on the image of Kana. "You were so beautiful. I wanted to be selfish. I wanted to love you. Just once, I wanted something for myself, not for the good of the family." Hatori put one hand on the bookcase and clutched the photograph to his chest. "I know you're gone. You don't even care for me anymore. Why couldn't you have been stronger?" The bitterness came out in a choked sob and Hatori felt so guilty for it.

~YOUR FACE IT HAUNTS~
~MY ONCE PLEASANT DREAMS~
~YOUR VOICE IT CHASED AWAY~
~ALL THE SANITY IN ME.~

Long arms wrapped around Hatori, but he didn't fight the intimate touch. "It's all right." Ayame whispered. "Go ahead and cry. I won't tell anyone." Ayame held Hatori tightly, putting his head on Hatori's shoulder.

"It hurts." Hatori whimpered, feeling so helpless, so weak. "I can't stop the pain. It eats at me, Ayame! Why was she so weak?! I would have challenged Akito for her! I would have given up both eyes for her and she left me! I knew Akito would be furious, I told her he'd be angry. I warned her he might get violent, so I had her sit far from him. I was ready, I knew he'd do something like that. I didn't care. So long as she was with me, I didn't care."

Ayame was silent for a time and just held Hatori. "She can't help it if she was strong or weak, she can't change who she is. She couldn't handle her own guilt for what Akito did to you. It wasn't something she did on purpose. We all knew Kana loved you very much. She couldn't bear to see you in pain."

Ayame had never liked Kana, but the fact that he could be so compassionate and defend her for Hatori's sake, broke Hatori. He set Kana's photograph back on the shelf and turned to Ayame. It seemed inadequate to thank Ayame for something that must have hurt him to admit. Hatori collapsed into broken sobs, turning to face Ayame and his hands tightening around Ayame's soft clothes as he pressed his face into Ayame's chest.

~THESE WOUNDS WON'T SEEM TO HEAL~
~THIS PAIN IS JUST TOO REAL~
~THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH THAT TIME CANNOT ERASE.~

~I'VE TRIED SO HARD TO TELL MYSELF THAT YOU'RE GONE~
~AND THOUGH YOU'RE STILL WITH ME~
~I'VE BEEN ALONE ALL ALONG.~

'Maybe,' Hatori thought distantly as he let out a lot of pain he'd been feeling for a long time, 'Maybe it's time that I move on.'


10:30am
Chris-


Chris went into the parlor of the Petshop just when he saw a man dressed in a black suit leaving. Chris knew the man was in a hurry, because he was nearly running. 'How strange.' Chris thought, looking at the doors as they swung closed and then at Count D and Ten-chan who was kneeling on the floor. He liked Ten-chan well enough, but he didn't know the kitsune as well as he knew Tet-chan.

Chris listened when Ten-chan turned his head away from the door the man had just run through.

"Did I fail you, Count?"

"Not at all, Ten-chan. You did exactly as I wished." Count D went to sit on the red velvet sofa where he and Chris' brother often had tea together. "It worked perfectly. I have been watching them quite a lot, recently. They are such a beautiful family. I can see why my papa would want them."

"I don't understand, Count." Ten-chan crawled up onto the sofa next to the Count and put his head in Count D's lap. "Didn't you want to sell me to him? Maybe I could have made him happy."

"No. I do not think that is what he needed. You see, he hasn't cried properly for his lost love." Count D began to pet Ten-chan's bright red hair. "When a human loses one they care deeply for, it is healing to cry. He had not cried, so he hadn't been able to heal."

"But, he's not human, is he?"

"No. Not entirely."

"Why do you care for him? Do you want him as one of your pets?"

"It would give me great happiness for such a rare creature call my home his, but that is not why I wish to help him. It was my papa's fault that his family has been damaged. It is my responsibility, I believe, to fix what my papa has broken. He was nearby, so I thought to see him first. He is better able to feel my presence, thanks to his talent. His coming here was inevitable."

"How can you fix people who are broken?"

Count D smiled as he continued petting Ten-chan. "It all hinges on the cat, you see."

Chris had no idea what they were talking about, but he figured that the Count knew what he was talking about. Count D was so smart and kind, Chris believed in him, no matter what. So Chris stopped eavesdropping, which the Count had told him was rude, and came rushing out. >Count? May I go out for a while?<

"If you like." Count D answered with a smile. "Would you like me to have Tet-chan go with you?"

Chris rolled his eyes. >I'm not a baby, Count!< He protested. >I'm just going to the park and it's just around the corner. Hon Ron said she passed it. Please, I'll be all right and Tet-chan's busy making lunch for everyone.< As much as Chris really liked Tet-chan, he was old enough to go out on his own and he wanted everyone, especially Leon, to see that he could take care of himself.

"Very well." Count D smiled indulgently and touched Chris' cheek.. "Leon did say that I should not be so over protective. Go straight to the park and nowhere else, though. Be home in two hours for lunch."

>Yes, Count!< Chris nearly ran out of the petshop, he was so thrilled with his newly given independence. The park was beautiful, or so Hon Ron had told him. He was planning to do what the Count had told him, but just as he began running down the sidewalk he looked up suddenly and saw he was headed straight into a girl about his own age with short, strawberry blonde hair. She saw him at the same time and Chris thought he would knock her over. Just as they were about to collide, though, someone yanked her aside and Chris, who was trying to stop his momentum, tumbled and fell right on his bottom.

"Watch where you're going! Are you brain dead or just careless? Honestly, you'd think a kid old enough to be let out on his own would have the sense to keep his eyes open while running." A sharp, cutting voice snapped. When Chris looked up, he saw a boy, a few years older than himself, holding the arm of the girl Chris had nearly run into. The boy glared with furious eyes. "If you're so clumsy that..."

"Hiro," The girl said, her voice barely more than a whisper. "I'm sure it was just an accident. He didn't mean it." She was small, like Chris, but he got the feeling that she might be older than he was. She was very pretty, in Chris' opinion. Her eyes were a funny color, but they looked warm, and her hair was short and a very nice color. Most of all, Chris liked her little smile.

>Hi.< Chris smiled. >I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...<

They both looked at Chris blankly until the boy's scowl deepened. "What's the matter, cat got your tongue? Can't you even apologize for almost knocking her down?"

Chris remembered, belatedly, that they couldn't hear him. He looked away and wished he could tell them that he could speak, they just couldn't hear him. It was always like that and Chris felt his heart sink. He wanted to speak, but he just couldn't. He'd hoped that maybe people in this new place would be able to speak with him, like the people in the petshop could. 'I guess mama and papa were right to get rid of me.' Chris thought, dejectedly. 'What good am I if I can't talk to anyone? I should just stay in the petshop forever. At least there I can talk.'

"Hiro, be kind. I wasn't hurt. Oh, but you are." The girl looked down at Chris' leg when he stood. "You've hurt yourself."

Indeed, Chris looked at his throbbing knee and saw that his jeans had ripped at the knee and blood was seeping through. It was nothing to be worried about, he could just go back to the petshop and clean it up in the bathroom.

"Please come with us." The girl said, still holding onto her friend's hand. "I'm so sorry you got hurt, I'm sure Hatori's at home and he's a doctor. He'll fix you up. I'm Kisa and this is Hiro. Please, let me help. Maybe I can find some new pants for you." She said this last as though she was afraid he wouldn't want to and that he might even yell at her. Frankly, Chris thought that anyone who yelled at Kisa when Hiro was around was going to be in a world of trouble.

Hiro sniffed and turned away. "I don't see why we'd want him around, we don't even know him, Kisa. He's clumsy and bad mannered, he didn't apologize for almost knocking you down. Besides, Hatori's very busy, he can't be bothered by something so small as a scraped knee."

Kisa smiled gently at Hiro. "You didn't apologize for letting him fall. You could have caught him, too."

"It was either him or you. Guess who won?" Hiro gave her a thin smile. "He's a boy, he supposed to be tougher, anyway. That's what Kyou's always saying, isn't he?"

Kisa didn't answer her friend, but spoke to Chris again. "Don't mind Hiro, he's not really mean. I used to not want to talk, too. I don't mind if you want to be quiet. Do you want to come with us?"

Chris had no intention of refusing Kisa. He nodded eagerly and the three of them started to walk away, though Hiro was far less enthusiastic thank Kisa about it. Chris' promise to the Count, to go only to the park, was completely forgotten with the opportunity to have friends outside the petshop. It had been a long time since he'd had any real friends outside the petshop.


Ren-


Ren watched with glee when the little boy, Chris left the petshop alone. It was the first time he'd been alone since Ren had begun watching for her chance. All she had to do was take him and get rid of him somewhere and then the Souma family would be hers. The great wealth and the power...it had been promised to her.

'I know just what to do with the boy when I have him.' Ren thought as she pulled her car away from the curb to follow the child and find some lonely place where she could grab him. 'He'll never be seen again.' Her thoughts paused when the boy bumped into a couple of other children Ren recognized as two members of the Souma family, though she couldn't quite recall their names. They spoke for a moment before the three of them started to walk away together. 'No matter. They're only children. They can't stop me.'


To be continued...


To my reviewers:

Ruby Love: Thanks so much for all the reviews you've left. Let's see if I can answer some of your questions. I'm glad you hate Ren, you're supposed to. I'm trying to make her a very unlikable character and I think I'm doing pretty well. As for Shigure's 'vision' of the female cat, well...who knows if that was truly her soul or just a fever dream from Shigure's illness? I really suggest that you see the second two dvd's of Fruits Basket, they're fantastic! Thanks for the email. I like Ritsu, too, thought I think he's a very sad character. Yes, I made up Kureno's entire history. I know absolutely nothing about him except that he likes Tohru's friend, Uotoni. Still, I think he came out rather well. Yes, Ren is a bit of a moron, isn't she? Leon is not an OC, he's one of the main characters from Petshop of Horrors, an absolutely wonderful manga. They made an anime about it, but it's not nearly so good as the manga. No, that didn't sound stupid, about it being like a diary. I wanted Leon and Ayame to both have someone to lean on, someone who didn't judge them and just accepted them. I figure lying is a talent and it would take practice before Shigure to get good at it. Kyou's value in my story will become apparent very soon. I apologize if I haven't answered all your questions, but I don't want to give away to much of the story.
Don't worry about Akito, I have plans for him.

Demeter1: I'm so pleased that you like Akito so much. He's one of my all-time favorite anime characters. I hope you like the ending I have planned for him.

Mirialdo: I'm glad you like it. I figure, all the other cursed get to interact with their animal counterpart on a daily basis. Yuki is around rats, Kyou can see cats all the time, etc. Hatori never gets to see other dragons. I thought it would be a nice treat for him.

Muchacha: I'm glad you're still enjoying the story and Akito. Please, keep reading and let me know what you think.

Yuan18: I like the goofy Shigure, too, but I'm fascinated by those rare times in the anime and manga where Shigure seems to know a lot more than he's telling. I get the very real feeling that he's manipulating everyone around him for a very specific purpose. I can't wait to see what it is in the manga. For now, I'll have to make up my own reasons. Yes, Mine-chan likes Jill. To be honest, that has nothing whatsoever to do with the story. I like Mine-chan. I like Jill. It seems a pity that neither of them has a love interest. Therefore, in my infinite wisdom, I've paired them up and I wish them all the happiness in the world.

Meek: Evil twinkies? :) I guess I'll have to keep writing, then. I'd hate to be attacked by twinkies in the middle of the night. Hee, hee...

Ayako: Tohru's logic for wanting to make everyone happy before she kills herself is...off. That's done on purpose, to be honest. Tohru believes it's her duty to die with her mother, yet she can't bear to bring grief to anyone. Therefore, she will do her best to make them all happy, so the grief won't seem as bad. To her, it makes sense. It's the only rationalization she can come up with and if she doesn't use it, she might not be able to do her duty to her beloved mother.
Anee: Don't worry. I try to update every other Saturday. I'm sorry for the long wait between chapters, but I like it to be as perfect as possible. This will all make sense in the end...I hope.

Babs: Thanks so much for the compliments, I'm very flattered. I hope you like the rest of the story, too.

Caiti: Thanks so much for the wonderful comments, I'm proud that I've done a work that's impressed you so much. I'll send you an email as soon as I can.

Kireina: Glad you enjoyed the chapter, I hope you like this one just as well.

Bubblegum Koala Girl: Well, I was trying to squeeze Saki and Uo into the story, but it's moving so fast, I don't know if they'll have a big role. In the next story I do, they'll have much more important roles. I like them both very much, but this story is so busy, I thought adding two more characters would just make it to confusing. Just for you, I added the bit about Uo-chan and Kureno. Well...for you and because I adore Kureno. :)

Merei-chan: You have good reason to be nervous. It all begins in the next chapter. I hope you enjoy. As for romantic pairings, we'll leave that as a mystery. I think Akito must find Tohru to be the single most threatening person in the world. She's the only person he's ever met who had a real chance of stealing his family away from him. If Akito hasn't got his family...he's got nothing.

Grrl N: Yep, Hon Ron is a character from Petshop of Horrors. She doesn't have a major role, but I wanted Hatori to be able to talk to another dragon, even if it was only for a little while.

Dragonic Eis: Kyou was actually meant to be the main character of this fic, but I'm afraid Shigure took over right at the beginning. The story will begin to focus more on Kyou in the next chapter. He has a very important doom.

Rasgara: I'm glad you enjoy the story so much. I have this story planned right to the finale, so I promise it will continue.

Daemonchan: I'm happy that you liked the chapter so much, please let me know if you like the rest of the story. I hope you do.

Misa Rose: Thanks for the review. Sigh. I know I have those little errors. No matter how many times I go over a chapter, a few always sneak by me. Ah well, when I'm finished with the fic, I can go back and fix them all.

Caer: As for when Hatori gave Kyou the injection; you're quite right. He walked in, shot Kyou up with meds and didn't even once check the boy. To be honest, I did that on purpose, I wanted to see if anyone would notice. Did you see the anime? When Tohru got sick, Hatori walked right in and gave her an injection of something and then left. I don't believe he even took her temperature. That struck me as odd and I wanted to know if it was just me. However, since I love Hatori, I've decide he must be simply brilliant and he doesn't need any stupid examination with his patients. He must have created a miracle drug! Bwhahaha!....Sorry. Got carried away. Well, I hope to hear from you again and that you enjoy the rest of the story.

Cor-chan: Thanks for the review. I'm doing my best to keep things moving, but every character is begging for time. I hope the story stays good, let me know if you like it.

Greenember: Don't apologize. To be honest, I find Yuki one of the hardest characters to write. I'm glad you like the story overall, though. I hope you like it enough to keep reading it. Thanks for the last review you wrote. It shows that you're actually thinking about what I've written and I appreciate that. As I said, I find Yuki to be about the most difficult character. I used the anime version for Kyou's great transformation. I like the idea of both Yuki and Tohru going after him, but I do know he didn't go after Kyou in the manga, nor did Tohru's friends have to urge her along. To be honest, I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about my characterization. I thought no one would like my Shigure. I hope you like the rest of the story and thanks again for taking the time to review.

Arain Rowen: Thanks for the review, I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Incredible is such high praise, I hope I live up to it till the end of the story.

Tri: Yes, I love cliffhangers. Don't you? Shigure will meet Count D very soon.

Aori Tsuki: Sorry if you have to wait between updates, but I want to make sure to put out the best possible chapters and it's hard to decide what to use and what has to wait till next chapter and what to just cut out. Hee, hee, the Souma's are always in big trouble. I've never seen a more messed up family.

Shadow Cat17: I'm very glad you're enjoying it. Don't worry, the updates will keep coming. Thanks for reviewing.

Silvermoon10: In the next chapter, I think, you'll find out why Kyou is so special. Papa D only wants Chris taken as a distraction. He thinks it will help him to avoid his child, Count D, because he knows Count D is fond of Chris. He could have told Ren to take Leon, but a child would be easier to kidnap.


Hypersacractisinternetaddic: Well, in the manga Akito pushed Rin, so I thought it would be fun to write. I hope to hear from you again, soon. Enjoy the rest of the story.

Jaelle: Ah, Tohru, my pretty little bird. Ever notice how much Akito loves the little birds in his garden? Actually, I was thinking of making Tohru's mother, Kyoko, one of Count D's pets. Wouldn't that be interesting? Tohru as a half-breed human and bird? Oh well, maybe in another fic.

Enjen: Count D will get to Tohru. He's got a lot to keep him busy, after all, but he won't abandon one of his orphaned pets.

Arin Ross: You're the first one to guess Shigure's one true love. Yes, Akito needs serious help. I hope you like the rest of the story.

Well, I think that's all for now, folks. I'm sorry if I haven't answered some of your questions, but I don't want to give away too much of the story. I hope you all enjoy and please, keep reviewing. It honestly helps to see and fix plot holes as well as interesting story lines I hadn't thought of. I really appreciate the time all of you have taken to review.